Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The dropping of David Clarke is the biggest example of how negative tactics has contributed to making Gaelic Football the mess it is today,too much looking at videos and all that analytical crap. I too agree that Aidan O'Shea is very overrated,apart from his contribution to Lee Keegan's goal,he was awful again today.

Don't think it had anything to do with negativity.

Truth is if he plays a good game and Mayo win Rochford is a genius but they lost and he played badly so now he's an idiot.

It's just a big move that backfired, Gavin did something similar dropping 2 former footballers of the year and it worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

kona wrote: »
    The ****e he's coming out is what's wrong with mayo. Too much bollox.

Fact that I believe

If mayo came out to play football they would be 2016 all Ireland champions.

They really need to stop the bolloxology. Both in the stands and on the pitch.

Also.

Aidan o shea needs to take a good hard look at himself.

Many Mayo people placed AOS on a pedestal when he was 17 years of age and simply refuse to take off the blinkers now. Back then he was way ahead in the physical stakes and could bulldoze his way towards goal. At senior level bulldozing simply doesn't work, the 'big' counties are largely equal in the physical stakes. He has received 2 of the 'softest' All-Stars ever, 1 for scoring a hat trick of goals against a Sligo junior B full back, the other for scoring a goal v a Donegal spent force.
    But he is 'media friendly' and gives interviews at the drop of a hat, thus the media have installed him their 'new darling'. He talks the talk but........
    Completely over-rated. Has mainly gone AWOL in all big games.
    Cannot score enough at 11 or 14 and simply has the legs for midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

You can tell that deep down dub fans know they have it too easy,that they have so many unfair advantages. If they really believed they deserved it and that it was solely down to hard work they wouldn't be on here mouthing off about begrudgers.they know deep down inside,just like lance armstrong prob never really enjoyed his tour wins as he knew he was cheating.
    Unfair allocation of funds,almost never having to travel to a game in championship, professional players ,obscene money being spent on backroom team,population,the players not having to drive hours to get to training, 12 mill on their own personal training facilities, I could go onllamas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Just in after the game, sickened. Can't believe Deegan once again gave in to Dublin pressure.
    Connelly on a number of occasions pulled players to the ground right in front of Deegan, what did he do ? Nothing. Shocking inconsistency, at Mayo's expense once again.

You are clutching at straws. Deegan didnt give it to Dublin, Dublin won it while Mayo bottled it. Total lack of discipline to give away so many score able frees. The black cards we can argue about all day the 2 glaring ones missed were Small for the hand trip on Moran and Vaughan for the trip on Connolly, in front of Deegan. If your going to moan about cards be consistent, isn't that all we want consistency?
    JeffKenna wrote: »
    I think its obvious that much like the semi the big calls went Dublin's way.

More bull. Mayo have had a few calls go their way, Rob Kieley is an example. Most influential Tipp player.
    Big difference a black card does not weaken Dublin, no other team has that luxury. Small threw a punch at OConnor and he gets a yellow. I'd expect Deegan won't have to buy a pint in Dublin for a while.
    If Small wanted to connect with O'Connor believe me he would have. He was getting up and swung and as I would expect from O'Connor he was acting the bollox trying to get his opponent sent off as he did the first day. A.O'S also spent a lot of time pointing the finger at Dublin players. I dont agree with some of the stuff wrote about O'Connor but I can see why there is such a dislike to him.
    nuac wrote: »
    Agreed.

Time there was an enquiry and rebalancing on the funds collared by Dublin at the expense of the other counties

It is due before the public accounts committee next Tuesday week. Michael Ring will chair it with that eejet Mulherin who was on looking for free tickets.

Dublin deserve every cent they get because it will be used correctly. How the fck could you give money to a county board like Mayo have? According to the Mayo people I speak to they are terrible. If Dublin county board fckd around like the way other boards do their would be another rebellion. They come up with a plan submit it and if it is right they get funding same as Mayo or any other county. Also look at the crowds Dublin get to all their games be they O'Byrne cup, League or Challenge games. Parnell park is jammers. . Look at McHale park last year for league game and the amount of Dubs who travelled down. Bet the price of a pint went up down there that night. This also determines how much a county gets. The money is wisely invested in coaching and structures.

Some of you guys who knock what Dublin get should come up and see how some of the clubs have to operate. No pitchs in new areas as developers from Mayo, Galway and Roscommon have all the land bought up. Parents walking pitchs to ensure no syringes are on them or broken glass and to ensure no burnt cars are around. Some of the Dublin clubs could do with Enda and Ringo coming out and seeing what it is like on the ground. It is scary what some mentors and coachs are doing for G.A.A. in parts of Dublin. I hasten to add it is not a problem my club have but I have great respect for city clubs who do what they do to keep gaelic games alive. Some clubs in Cork, Limerick and other areas have the same problems and do trojan work with kids.

So before people knock what Dublin get "come walk in their shoes.

Time to regurgitate the North Dublin and South Dublin team argument, just like the call for Kilkenny to have 2 teams;) or is there something else to clutch at?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭charlie1980

Do you know what?

We didn't take over the hill,have a red and green flag the length of the hill.We didn't have our supporters to love our county as much as our great warriors who don our counties colours and through the decades have, talk is cheap , typed words more so, courage , effort , pride they are the defining characteristic our lads bring to the field, empty the lungs , stretch the larynax, stand tall wave OUR flags and show the country , the world , what it means to us to call Mayo , ours, always ours
    Mayo forever .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Truth is if he plays a good game and Mayo win Rochford is a genius but they lost and he played badly so now he's an idiot.

It's just a big move that backfired, Gavin did something similar dropping 2 former footballers of the year and it worked well.

You're not comparing like for like.

For starters, to drop a keeper that wasn't playing badly and throwing in a cold keeper for an All Ireland final was always going to be extremely risky. It was mentioned before the game too so it's not a case of 20-20 hindsight either.

Gavin can get away with replacing outfield players because he has the depth to get away with it. He dropped two players who underperformed in the first game and as a result they clearly had an extra edge when they came on too. Sure, they're both FOTY (MDMA undeservedly so) but Brogan isn't what he used to be either. It was a terrible move by Mayo management that was always more likely to backfire than go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

washman3 wrote: »
    Many Mayo people placed AOS on a pedestal when he was 17 years of age and simply refuse to take off the blinkers now. Back then he was way ahead in the physical stakes and could bulldoze his way towards goal. At senior level bulldozing simply doesn't work, the 'big' counties are largely equal in the physical stakes. He has received 2 of the 'softest' All-Stars ever, 1 for scoring a hat trick of goals against a Sligo junior B full back, the other for scoring a goal v a Donegal spent force.
    But he is 'media friendly' and gives interviews at the drop of a hat, thus the media have installed him their 'new darling'. He talks the talk but........
    Completely over-rated. Has mainly gone AWOL in all big games.
    Cannot score enough at 11 or 14 and simply has the legs for midfield.

I've been critical of O' Shea in the past....felt he stumbled into All Stars far too often. Although he didn't score today he had a great game.

The talk is always centred around exploiting his physical presence but today he showed how clever his movement is. Best on the pitch for me. Had Philly McMahon in all sorts of trouble and Keegans goal was all his doing. Worked himself to a standstill too. Great game and a great season imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Today was a win for football over thuggery, well done the dubs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

To use Dublin terminology there's a touch of the Mickey dazzler about Aidan, but not a bad player by any means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

No i blame a lack of decent forwards for losing the game, but having Lee Keegan for the full game would likely have brought sam west. Unfortunately Deegan wrongly sent off one of the best players in the country. To think that did not make a difference is frankly bizzare.

If you were talking about Johnny Cooper I would agree with you, but I suspect you aren't.

The black card is a lottery. Hennelly's one was clear, Keegan could have gone for two yellows at any time, as in previous games, but arguably the black was harsh.

Still I think all of that is just obscuring the main point - O'Connor had a chance for history, as did Cluxton in 2011, only one took it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Big difference between dropping two out of form former poty's in the twilight of their career and dropping your goalie who has been playing well. It was an unnecessary risk, and a franky daft move in such a big game. I hope the lad gets over it ok, it won't be easy to forget.

I think the keegan black card was a big moment. They really missed him in that second half. The Mayo forwards didn't perform and they missed his bursts from the back.

I don't know what to say about Aidan O'Shea. I watched him today showing up on the edge of his own square, way out on the wing etc. I don't know what role he is being asked to play but Dublin must have been delighted to see him so far from goal. He was pretty ineffective overall and it's a pity because we know the talent and potential is there. For me he has to be in and around the opposition square. With the right ball in good things will happen. it's hard to see Mayo winning one unless they get the best out of him. He is supposedly mayos talisman but there are at least five players that I would rate as more important to them at the moment.

Lastly, well done to the dubs. I really really wanted Mayo to win today but it's hard not to admire dublins resourcefulness when they are clearly not at their best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Who will the Mayo players blame now? Dublin were there for the taking in both games, and Mayo simply didn't have the cojones to take them out. It's ridiculous that they have a virtual guaranteed place in the quarter finals every single year and they still can't win it.

Chill Dermo!you got him!

It's ridiculous that they have a virtual guaranteed place in the quarter finals every single year and they still can't win it.

LOL, you do realise Mayo came through the back door :rolleyes:

As for your daft statement about "a guaranteed quarter final" that really takes the biscuit, the Dublin U21 team would qualify out of Leinster. Its by far the least competitive province in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Chill Dermo!you got him!

why are you bolding all your posts and repeating them

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Thoroughly enjoyed the game today. I suppose there's not a whole lot between Dublin and Mayo in recent years (except for 4 All Irelands in 6 years). I really loved the way the Mayo crowd patted my 7 year old daughter on the head last year in the 1st game and the replay before she pointed out the end result. O'Connor had a reasonable chance to prolong the Mayo agony but that's all it would have done - delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

LaGlisse wrote: »
    You can tell that deep down dub fans know they have it too easy,that they have so many unfair advantages. If they really believed they deserved it and that it was solely down to hard work they wouldn't be on here mouthing off about begrudgers.they know deep down inside,just like lance armstrong prob never really enjoyed his tour wins as he knew he was cheating.
    Unfair allocation of funds,almost never having to travel to a game in championship, professional players ,obscene money being spent on backroom team,population,the players not having to drive hours to get to training, 12 mill on their own personal training facilities, I could go on.
    Anyway enjoy the night dubs,hope no eye sockets get broken in any unprovoked attacks

Ask Armstrong. He is the NCC next month doing some Q & A session. Or do you hide behind your keyboard all the time? Are you now suggesting someone in Dublin was,is or are cheating?

Mayo dont have it easy? London, Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim and a bit of a challenge from Galway.

Few Mayo lads could could fill you in on broken jaws. But I Hope no Mayo players get hurt after a few slaps by their own lads, It has happened in the past.

Can you back up anything you actually say above or is it drink talk?
    You tpye like yrou phissde:D

People as pathetic as you turn people off G.A.A. and all that is good about it. Negative begrudgery. Your bitter and twisted.

I dunno Tinne,I guess I am just a happy bunny.Dermot Connolly can be one of the greats in the history of the game.Dont you think?

Who will the Mayo players blame now? Dublin were there for the taking in both games, and Mayo simply didn't have the cojones to take them out. It's ridiculous that they have a virtual guaranteed place in the quarter finals every single year and they still can't win it.
    It's not a case of blaming anybody or not havin cojones. Mayo just lack that cutting edge up front. Take cillian O'Connor's frees out of it and what did their forwards contribute today? It's very hard to win an all Ireland without a couple of forwards who will kick points from play. Dublin have several players who will kick a couple of points from play, Costello kicked 3 off the bench today ffs, more than any Mayo forward. That is why they won. You can't depend on your half backs to do it. Mayo have a big threat in O'Shea and he seems to be playing some sort of free role doing whatever he wants when he should be up around FF causing havoc and occupying a couple of defenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Surprised this thread is still open.

At the end of the day, Dublin won the All-Ireland, Mayo lost again, very few talking points, it was a clearly deserved victory. Maybe some can continue discussion on county threads, but Dublin are the winners and nothing else matters until the League games come around again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

mickeyk wrote: »
    It's not a case of blaming anybody or not havin cojones. Mayo just lack that cutting edge up front. Take cillian O'Connor's frees out of it and what did their forwards contribute today? It's very hard to win an all Ireland without a couple of forwards who will kick points from play. Dublin have several players who will kick a couple of points from play, Costello kicked 3 off the bench today ffs, more than any Mayo forward. That is why they won. You can't depend on your half backs to do it. Mayo have a big threat in O'Shea and he seems to be playing some sort of free role doing whatever he wants when he should be up around FF causing havoc and occupying a couple of defenders.

On the O'Shea thing, was it not the case last year that he was in at the edge of the square for the majority of the 2 games and was ineffective? Too many defenders crowding him out when he's there, legally or not and even when he is fouled he never seems to get a free.

I thought he was good today; turned over dublin a few times, won most of the ball that went his way; good passing, lay-offs, etc. Seems to suit him doing a mix of full forward and out the field, because that way he tends to be one on one when he does head towards goal, and that led directly to the goal and one or two other points when he had McMahon in a lot of trouble one on one. But equally he doesn't need to cover as much ground as he would from midfield so can last longer.

The Sligo game a few years ago ruined him; people think he's been poor if he's not scoring 3 goals each day out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Folks, please remember the forum and site rules. Enjoy the debate but don't get personal with the comments :)

That said, well done the Dubs! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,059 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Godge wrote: »
    the League games come around again.

Sat March 4th 2017 in Croke Park preceded by Waterford vs Dublin in the NHL. As a Waterford man looking forward to watching both games please god

Padkir wrote: »
    On the O'Shea thing, was it not the case last year that he was in at the edge of the square for the majority of the 2 games and was ineffective? Too many defenders crowding him out when he's there, legally or not and even when he is fouled he never seems to get a free.

I thought he was good today; turned over dublin a few times, won most of the ball that went his way; good passing, lay-offs, etc. Seems to suit him doing a mix of full forward and out the field, because that way he tends to be one on one when he does head towards goal, and that led directly to the goal and one or two other points when he had McMahon in a lot of trouble one on one. But equally he doesn't need to cover as much ground as he would from midfield so can last longer.

The Sligo game a few years ago ruined him; people think he's been poor if he's not scoring 3 goals each day out.

Yes he got on the ball and didn't do that much wrong today but so did lots of others. I just feel he'd be more of an asset closer to goal, especially when Mayo are struggling so badly up there. The Dublin full back line must have been delighted to see him out the field as he ties up two players minimum in there. What does it matter now anyway I suppose.

imo David clarke can never play for Rochford again.The reality is players play for themselves first,their families second and the counties third.The team?the team? is what happens when the players accept the status quo and every player understsands that.What Rochford did is un forgiveable,why?Idunno.There was no logic to it and in my view it cost Mayo the game.When was Clarke told?What did the backroom think of this?the senior players?Basically he put a goal keeper in cold,has not played all year.Crazy.The black card was a blessinig for Hennelly.By my reckoning he cost Mayo a goal and 3pts and the black card of Keegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Padkir wrote: »
    when he had McMahon in a lot of trouble one on one.

Yeah he took McMahon for a massive 0-0, bad day at the office for Philly obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Well done Dublin, enjoy it.

Some of the gloating and criticism of a bit of passion in this thread is fairly nasty but it's just a few who usually watch the premier league. Thankfully the fans I always speak to at the games are always 100%.

Cillian O'Conner facing into Hill 16 to level the game.

Only the greats survive that.

Mickey Sheehy,Matt Connor,Brian Stafford,Manus Boyle,Mickey Linden,Peter Canavan,Oisin Mcconvile and Colm "the gooch" Cooper.

Cillian O'Conner will never be in their class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Cillian O'Conner will never be in their class.

Just like Connolly the last day. Facing into the Hill grabbed the ball off a team mate, trying to write his name in history.

Many greats before him faced into situations like this before. Beano McDonald, Dessie Dolan, Cian Ward, Mark Vaughan, Jason Akermanis.

But he'll never be in that class.

(Thats how this thing works right, selecting one kick in a guys career and deciding if he is great or not depending on the result of the kick?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

NufcNavan wrote: »
    You're not comparing like for like.

For starters, to drop a keeper that wasn't playing badly and throwing in a cold keeper for an All Ireland final was always going to be extremely risky. It was mentioned before the game too so it's not a case of 20-20 hindsight either.

Gavin can get away with replacing outfield players because he has the depth to get away with it. He dropped two players who underperformed in the first game and as a result they clearly had an extra edge when they came on too. Sure, they're both FOTY (MDMA undeservedly so) but Brogan isn't what he used to be either. It was a terrible move by Mayo management that was always more likely to backfire than go well.

Obviously Rochfords is a much bigger gamble but I saw some degree of sense to it myself because firstly there were doubts about Cillian O'Connors fitness so I thought it was to have a free taker on the field if he couldn't take the long distance ones and also I think Hennelly's kickouts are a little better than Clarkes. Clarkes kickouts always make me very nervous.

Obviously the move completely backfired and Rochford looks foolish now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement