Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

got an offer for galway, does anyone know how to find out if it's the 5 or 6 year degree?

No idea but I'd be interested in hearing the answer too

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

Just saw the points list, both UCD and Trinity are 730 with random selection! Surgeons is 725, Cork is 726 and NUIG is 723. Nothing in it this year, hope everyone got what they wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 47 echolima

Woohoo, Galway here I come!!

Ditto :) Be seeing you in a few weeks :D Delighted!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

got an offer for galway, does anyone know how to find out if it's the 5 or 6 year degree?
    I think they will write / contact if you're being offered the 5 year option.

Consider carefully, it means jumping from the pressure of LC straight into another pressurised year (the first of many indeed).

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Omedicineg

I agree that points will be lower but not everyone will experience a points loss.

Eg somebody with 4 B1s will gain 12 points from their score this year.

Anybody have any idea why applications to NUIG Med would be higher this year?

I mean points are lower in UCD than they were in 2014 (!) yet NUIG is the same as last year?

Nuig has a brand new "human biology" building which construction is completed for the 2016 academic year, people are also realising that Galway is more student orientated than a hecteic busy Dublin city!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

I think they will write / contact if you're being offered the 5 year option.

Consider carefully, it means jumping from the pressure of LC straight into another pressurised year (the first of many indeed).

Really wouldn't worry too much about the pressure in first year med, of a five year programs 😜

If I remember correctly, last year they emailed about a week after offers allocating you whatever stream and you have to contact them if you want to change stream with an explanation of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

I agree that points will be lower but not everyone will experience a points loss.

Eg somebody with 4 B1s will gain 12 points from their score this year.

Anybody have any idea why applications to NUIG Med would be higher this year?

I mean points are lower in UCD than they were in 2014 (!) yet NUIG is the same as last year?

Cos Galway is a F*ckn class spot and people are beginning to know it. Quite shocked with UCD dropping 6 points to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FirstDraft1

F.A.O Cork students...
    We have our orientation on 8th Sept. which is a Thursday, so are we starting properly on the next Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

NUIG starts Tues 30th August. !!!
    Anyone still looking for accommodation.
    Anyone interested on here in sharing in a house in Galway. Prefer someone also doing med.
    Not far from Clinical Science building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 LochlanCummins

I messaged you there mate

• Registered Users Posts: 41 David1997

NUIG Med starts next Tuesday right? If they take a week to allocate your stream isn't that cutting it a bit tight?

David1997 wrote: »
    NUIG Med starts next Tuesday right? If they take a week to allocate your stream isn't that cutting it a bit tight?

Yeah it's just the way the LC fell this year, everything is a week late!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Medhopeful123

So it's 726 for cork this year....I had 706 in total. Do you think I should repeat everything ? Do I have any chance this year? I'm really dreading doing it all again....

So it's 726 for cork this year....I had 706 in total. Do you think I should repeat everything ? Do I have any chance this year? I'm really dreading doing it all again....

I got 708 first time and repeated HPAT only. Ended up on 749. If you have 550+ in LC there is zero need to repeat LC.

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    I got 708 first time and repeated HPAT only. Ended up on 749. If you have 550+ in LC there is zero need to repeat LC.

See I only got 525 points so I think I'll have to relate the LC. My Hpat was good thought with 87th percentile. Are you into a course now?

See I only got 525 points so I think I'll have to relate the LC. My Hpat was good thought with 87th percentile. Are you into a course now?

I'd probably repeat LC so as the HPAT you would need is astronomical otherwise. Yeah I am, going into my second year.

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    I'd probably repeat LC so as the HPAT you would need is astronomical otherwise. Yeah I am, going into my second year.

Congrats! Thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Congrats! Thanks !

Maybe appeal as many of your A2's as possible and pray you get bumped up closer to 550 and then redo the HPAT?

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Maybe appeal as many of your A2's as possible and pray you get bumped up closer to 550 and then redo the HPAT?

Ya I'm trying to appeal as many things as possible hopefully something will work out! Thanks

• Advertisement

So who's joining me in NUIG for 6 year Med? :p

Don't know if it's 5/6 year for sure yet, I'd say 6, but I'm definitely NUIG anyways :)

echolima wrote: »
    Don't know if it's 5/6 year for sure yet, I'd say 6, but I'm definitely NUIG anyways :)

I'm definitely 6 bcos I didn't do chemistry :p

I'm definitely 6 bcos I didn't do chemistry :p

I did chemistry, but dragged myself backwards through it, ended up with a C1. Don't know if I want to throw myself in at the deep end or try and get the basics solid first. I'll let them decide where to put me, and I'll probably stick with what I get :P

I did chemistry, but dragged myself backwards through it, ended up with a C1. Don't know if I want to throw myself in at the deep end or try and get the basics solid first. I'll let them decide where to put me, and I'll probably stick with what I get :P

I think at this stage we're all just happy to have gotten in at all and we'll happily take whatever we're given :p

I think at this stage we're all just happy to have gotten in at all and we'll happily take whatever we're given :p

Agreed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

Me too! And I think I'm taking the 5 for now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Guitarson

Hi guys, I got exactly 550 in the leaving cert and unfortunately only 160 in the hpat. I Know I can improve in the hpat but I don't know if I should repeat the leaving cert as well, especially with the horrendous new points system starting next year. Any advice?

Guitarson wrote: »
    Hi guys, I got exactly 550 in the leaving cert and unfortunately only 160 in the hpat. I Know I can improve in the hpat but I don't know if I should repeat the leaving cert as well, especially with the horrendous new points system starting next year. Any advice?

Depends on your grades, check what your points add up to with the new system and see what you end up with :) Repeating just the hpat would be my first thought, but check just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

Depends on your grades, check what your points add up to with the new system and see what you end up with :) Repeating just the hpat would be my first thought, but check just in case

Yeah I'd agree with that, see what the new system does to you.

I'd then seriously think if you afford the extra year.

Repeating just the HPAT is probably the best thing to do, but again you know you have room to improve in the LC also, but obvisoulsy HPAT gains come a lot easier

Advertisement