Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LochlanCummins

hope everyone gets med lads, if not you can always repeat and it'll be 5x easier

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

aleatorio wrote: »
    Repeat the hpat. Either take a year out or do an intermediate course like biomed to skip a year in ucd. I would recommend taking a year out and saving up and avoiding biomed. From experience the atmosphere is toxic and few people there actually want to be studying the course

Did you actually do biomed? I'm studying it, as someone who wants to, and wouldn't go anywhere near describing the atmosphere as toxic and there's plenty of us who actually want to do the course.. May as well use the year repeating the hpat to actually do a year of college and skip the pointless premed in ucd

This is fair and i meant no offense to you! I worded it harshly. But from experience with the overlap with bhls and a lot of my friends in it, most were treating it as a chore.

I still however don't believe you should do a course for the sake of it if you don't plan on finishing it. That just drives up the points and people who actually want the course end up missing out. Coupled with the fact that only a small number get to skip premed due to a quota, i don't think it's better than a year out.

If we can agree on anything though, then it's that premed is pointless. A lot of fun though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. I know it's a hard wait but try get some sleep and see what tomorrow brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

** spoiler **

726 for cork !

• Registered Users Posts: 20 joe....

730 for ucd/trinity
    723 galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

Is that first round requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 echolima

UCD: 730
    TCD: 730
    RCSI: 725
    UCC: 726
    NUIG: 723

Stolen from the CAO offers thread, hope everyone's happy!

Is that first round requirements?

Yep, so anything within 5-10 points should have a shot for later rounds too :)

This means points are down from last year. First round offers for medicine in Galway was 727 last year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 louisoc

That's mad. I got 736 but ended up picking law in trinity first choice - is it common for med points to fluctuate by such a wide margin? I mean, 6 points doesn't seem like a lot, but it is with respect to hpat/LCs over 550.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Good luck to everyone!

I'm still out by a few points but that was to be expected. Always next year..

Good luck to everyone!

I'm still out by a few points but that was to be expected. Always next year..

Wait for other round offers, you could get in yet :)

echolima wrote: »
    Wait for other round offers, you could get in yet :)
    Was there a points drop in subsequent rounds last year? I'm fairly certain it stayed at 723?

Was there a points drop in subsequent rounds last year? I'm fairly certain it stayed at 723?

I think first round was 727 and it dropped to 723 after that

They definitely dropped, medhopeful mentioned 727 as first round last year, so you'll probably be very close!

Are you certain?

I just don't understand how UCD/TCD dropped by 6 and NUIG stayed the same?

6 points is exactly what I need too! haha

From memory it was 723 first round in galway last year. No second round offers in any med schools except cork! It was a shock all around

From memory it was 723 first round in galway last year. No second round offers in any med schools except cork! It was a shock all around

Must be Cork I'm thinking of as that's my number one but don't lose hope worthlesspeon it seems to me lik you might still be in with a shot!

If you see my attached image it shows that Galway medicine didn't change on subsequent rounds last year.

How does it make any sense that Galway wouldn't fall at all?

If you see my attached image it shows that Galway medicine didn't change on subsequent rounds last year.

How does it make any sense that Galway wouldn't fall at all?

Maybe it's in higher demand this year?

• Advertisement

Maybe it's in higher demand this year?

I guess so, I was under the impression it was down 1-2% overall?

Sometimes it's just not meant to be I guess

I guess so, I was under the impression it was down 1-2% overall?

Sometimes it's just not meant to be I guess

If you really want it to be I'm sure you'll find those extra six points no bother in the next year. It does suck facing into an extra year but if this is really what you want it shouldn't phase you too much

If you really want it to be I'm sure you'll find those extra six points no bother in the next year. It does suck facing into an extra year but if this is really what you want it shouldn't phase you too much
    Unfortunately I lose 11 points due to the new points system next year, so it's 17 points haha

My friend got 730 and has ucd down, going to be the most tense 3 hours waiting to see if random selection went in her favour :/ such a cruel system
    Unfortunately I lose 11 points due to the new points system next year, so it's 17 points haha

But also the rest of the country will feel that point loss due to the new system so it won't actually feel like 17 points :)

But also the rest of the country will feel that point loss due to the new system so it won't actually feel like 17 points :)
    I agree that points will be lower but not everyone will experience a points loss.

Eg somebody with 4 B1s will gain 12 points from their score this year.

Anybody have any idea why applications to NUIG Med would be higher this year?

I mean points are lower in UCD than they were in 2014 (!) yet NUIG is the same as last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

Anyone think RCSI will drop just one more point in round 2 or am I being too hopeful??

Congrats to anyone who has the points and to people who don't, don't give up, there's always next year!

Woohoo, Galway here I come!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

Trinity here I come! What a year it has been! I'd advise anyone to repeat the HPAT if they have to! Anyone know where the points can be found?

Theboybang wrote: »
    Trinity here I come! What a year it has been! I'd advise anyone to repeat the HPAT if they have to! Anyone know where the points can be found?

The official cao offers thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 LochlanCummins

got an offer for galway, does anyone know how to find out if it's the 5 or 6 year degree?

Advertisement