Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options
  • 23-06-2015 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi everyone :) I'm making this thread so that everyone can help each other with regards to their queries about the HPAT 2016, and applying for Medicine.

Mod edit:
    Do NOT use this thread for med entry course invites. Any post asking others to join you in a med entry course will be deleted. Post them in the Health Sciences Education forum.

Mod edit 2:
    Please note that the sale of copyrighted material is illegal.

In fact, do not use this thread to sell anything(even if it is yours). Boards.ie isn't for advertising. There's adverts.ie for that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Oh god, I was hoping I wouldn't have to see this for another while :eek: Scary to think one of these threads actually applies to me now! :p

Haven't put much thought into how to start preparing for my HPAT yet tbh. I have the ACER practice tests and I've went through them. They don't seem too bad but I've heard they're considered quite easy compared to the actual thing. Anyone recommend any materials/books, etc. to get in preparation?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

My heart goes out to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hpatprep

<snip>

You may not use Boards to sell copyright material, it's illegal, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

Looks like we need a good leaving cert. and over the 70%-ile to get in guys :eek: :eek: Pressures on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GavD97

I would just like to say to anyone who is planning on doing the hpat 2016, if your results are not good, just remember that you did a test which only the elites do. (That probably sounds unfair but it's true) and I know the results are ages away but it comes and goes like a shot. So even if you get a terrible percentile do not think you are stupid. I did it this year and my results were not good enough. I was really upset but I'm okay again. No matter how much work you put in, (the majority of my study time up until when it was on) it might not work out. I know a guy who got like 30th%ile last year and then this year he got the 99th%ile. So please don't believe that you can't do it. It is an exam that you can prepare for (and I personally would recommend preparing for it and soon as you start back into school, or sooner if you can. 2 hours a night!!), but also its not an exam that your preparation will definitely pay off. Because it certainly didn't for me. I felt like I was really stupid when I got them. After all my work and everything, it was such a big blow. I think the reason why I was so upset was because mdentry were telling me I was going to get 95-100 percentile which did not happen. But as my parents tell me, everything WILL work out (eventually) so good luck with it all and thanks for reading this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

GavD97 wrote: »
    I would just like to say to anyone who is planning on doing the hpat 2016, if your results are not good, just remember that you did a test which only the elites do. (That probably sounds unfair but it's true) and I know the results are ages away but it comes and goes like a shot. So even if you get a terrible percentile do not think you are stupid. I did it this year and my results were not good enough. I was really upset but I'm okay again. No matter how much work you put in, (the majority of my study time up until when it was on) it might not work out. I know a guy who got like 30th%ile last year and then this year he got the 99th%ile. So please don't believe that you can't do it. It is an exam that you can prepare for (and I personally would recommend preparing for it and soon as you start back into school, or sooner if you can. 2 hours a night!!), but also its not an exam that your preparation will definitely pay off. Because it certainly didn't for me. I felt like I was really stupid when I got them. After all my work and everything, it was such a big blow. I think the reason why I was so upset was because mdentry were telling me I was going to get 95-100 percentile which did not happen. But as my parents tell me, everything WILL work out (eventually) so good luck with it all and thanks for reading this!

Practising every single night is a terible idea. The hpat is important but you should never prioritise you over the LC because that's where the majority of your points will come from. In fact, over preparing can be hugely detrimental bc you over hype it. I did two practise exams in the month before the hpat and got 98th percentile. The most important thing is to just be familiar with the layout of the exam :) it's just another exam, stay cool guys, you have so much time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Practising every single night is a terible idea. The hpat is important but you should never prioritise you over the LC because that's where the majority of your points will come from. In fact, over preparing can be hugely detrimental bc you over hype it. I did two practise exams in the month before the hpat and got 98th percentile. The most important thing is to just be familiar with the layout of the exam :) it's just another exam, stay cool guys, you have so much time!

Hate to burst everyone's bubble but nearly all of you aren't going to be like Doctorhopeful in this regard. I did HPAT stuff nearly everyday and ended up with the 97th Percentile..and not a hope in hell would have I gotten that result by only doing 2 exams a month before..

Practising every single day may be of detriment to your LC score but I'm fairly confident in saying the more work you do for the HPAT, the more likely you are to exercise your full potential on the day of the exam itself.

While Doctorhopeful got an incredible percentile and score, don't think that 2 exams a month before HPAT will suffice for the average HPAT candidate, because it wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LauraKc

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    Hate to burst everyone's bubble but nearly all of you aren't going to be like Doctorhopeful in this regard. I did HPAT stuff nearly everyday and ended up with the 97th Percentile..and not a hope in hell would have I gotten that result by only doing 2 exams a month before..

Practising every single day may be of detriment to your LC score but I'm fairly confident in saying the more work you do for the HPAT, the more likely you are to exercise your full potential on the day of the exam itself.

While Doctorhopeful got an incredible percentile and score, don't think that 2 exams a month before HPAT will suffice for the average HPAT candidate, because it wont.

I agree with Gallagher1. I got 95th percentile but I wouldn't have achieved a good score without doing plenty of practice questions. I even skipped some of my mock exams because they were in the days before the hpat.

I would recommend doing steady practice and treat the hpat like an extra subject. You don't need to practise so much that it affects your leaving cert study but in order to reach your full potential you need to be prepared and confident in all the sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ConnorGriffin

Has ucd ever required higher points for undergraduate medicine than trinity? Ucd would be my first choice for a few reasons but wish to apply for both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Has ucd ever required higher points for undergraduate medicine than trinity? Ucd would be my first choice for a few reasons but wish to apply for both

Disregard points (to an extent) when deciding the order of your CAO. Research each course and University thoroughly and then only choose by what YOU PREFER. If UCD is your first choice for a few reasons, put it down first. Then you can put 9 otjer coirses below it. You have 10 Level 8 slots and 10 Level 7/6 slots. Then go to open days (they're a lot more useful than you expect).

Get to know how the CAO works this summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

GavD97 wrote: »

I'm sorry but doing 2 hours a night of hpat prep is absolute insanity. Hpat prep companies have sold this idea that everyone is capable of getting a good enough hpat score if they practise enough which is simply not true. I know it sucks that it's not but that's just the way an APTITUDE test works. Why would they support this idea when it earns them no money? Familiarize yourself with the layout, download the official acer practise exams to get your timing right and spend some time looking at lots of different section 3 examples. That's the only section that a bit of practice has been proven to improve your score which is why they decreased its % value of the exam. That said your potential score and the amount of time you spend studying it is not linear. Your ability will still peak at a certain point regardless.
    There are people who did the hpat with a lot of prep who got excellent scores but they more than likely would have gotten those scores anyway. People who repeat the hpat do better probably because they have been through it before and know exactly what to expect on the day. What about the people who put a lot of time into prep and get poor scores on the day? They're more numerous but funny enough they're not spoken about because they don't sell prep courses. They're not stupid and the people who do well with no prep aren't genii, the latter simply have a better natural aptitude for the exam.
    I don't know why I'm even wasting my time writing this. No one is going to take it on board because no one wants to believe that it's true. Don't psych yourself out on the day, don't obsess about it for months beforehand. If it's meant to happen for you, it will. That is how an aptitude test works. Work hard and focus on the leaving cert. That is a result that is completely in your control.
    (And I'm sorry but I don't know why the quoted user is advising you to do what he/she did, to spend a huge amount of your study time preparing for the hpat, when his method didn't even yield a good enough result? Not being rude but that doesn't make sense to me). This is what worked for me. I got 91st % with no prep. It's not a popular idea for obvious reasons, everyone wants to believe that they can make it happen for themselves, but in my opinion it's the truth. To give yourself the best chance of success, focus on the exams you can control.

I'm sorry but doing 2 hours a night of hpat prep is absolute insanity. Hpat prep companies have sold this idea that everyone is capable of getting a good enough hpat score if they practise enough which is simply not true. I know it sucks that it's not but that's just the way an APTITUDE test works. Why would they support this idea when it earns them no money? Familiarize yourself with the layout, download the official acer practise exams to get your timing right and spend some time looking at lots of different section 3 examples. That's the only section that a bit of practice has been proven to improve your score which is why they decreased its % value of the exam. That said your potential score and the amount of time you spend studying it is not linear. Your ability will still peak at a certain point regardless.
    There are people who did the hpat with a lot of prep who got excellent scores but they more than likely would have gotten those scores anyway. People who repeat the hpat do better probably because they have been through it before and know exactly what to expect on the day. What about the people who put a lot of time into prep and get poor scores on the day? They're more numerous but funny enough they're not spoken about because they don't sell prep courses. They're not stupid and the people who do well with no prep aren't genii, the latter simply have a better natural aptitude for the exam.
    I don't know why I'm even wasting my time writing this. No one is going to take it on board because no one wants to believe that it's true. Don't psych yourself out on the day, don't obsess about it for months beforehand. If it's meant to happen for you, it will. That is how an aptitude test works. Work hard and focus on the leaving cert. That is a result that is completely in your control.
    (And I'm sorry but I don't know why the quoted user is advising you to do what he/she did, to spend a huge amount of your study time preparing for the hpat, when his method didn't even yield a good enough result? Not being rude but that doesn't make sense to me). This is what worked for me. I got 91st % with no prep. It's not a popular idea for obvious reasons, everyone wants to believe that they can make it happen for themselves, but in my opinion it's the truth. To give yourself the best chance of success, focus on the exams you can control.

Great post. I believe too that the higher your aptitude/potential, the better you will score but some people who seem to be fantastic problem solvers sometimes don't score as high as they should (e.g section 1) as they aren't familiar with questions types, timing, making repetitive preventable mistakes which they don't address properly and learn from.

This is where I feel for some(not all) that prep may be important, to maximise and utilise potential. You probably had a good 'hpat brain' to begin with, without the need to make changes/prepare but others need the time to convert their own natural aptitude to the exact type that HPAT requires.

I agree with you. Regardless of hours you put in, only people with a certain level of aptitude in Problem solving/interpersonal reasoning etc will achieve the highest scores. You can't make a Cheltenham Gold Cup winner out of a Mule but even Coneygree had to be trained for the race.

A majority of HPAT candidates have the potential to score well, some just don't maximise their potential while some already are at the level required. Different strokes for different folks.

EDIT. (Stress is another thing that f*cks people up, this is a major factor why repeats tend to perform better..they know what the craic is)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BlathnaidKelly

Hi everyone! I desperately want to do medicine but unfortunately I've gone through an ACER practice exam and struggled greatly! My only strength was in Section 3 and even at that I couldnt do any of the pick the middle. However, doing a course is really not an option for me (way too expensive)! Just wondering if anyone has any advice as to how I could improve? Any advice would be great thanks!

Hi everyone! I desperately want to do medicine but unfortunately I've gone through an ACER practice exam and struggled greatly! My only strength was in Section 3 and even at that I couldnt do any of the pick the middle. However, doing a course is really not an option for me (way too expensive)! Just wondering if anyone has any advice as to how I could improve? Any advice would be great thanks!

Some are gonna disagree with me but I'm gonna say that you literally just need to get your hands on more resources and practise if you're gonna improve. Like if you're that desperate to do medicine would you not be better off working/saving etc to get some courses' distance package which is like 300 euro? May sound expensive but in the grander scheme of things it is an investment in your future, and a very minor investment at that, which could literally pay itself back 10000x over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BlathnaidKelly

Some are gonna disagree with me but I'm gonna say that you literally just need to get your hands on more resources and practise if you're gonna improve. Like if you're that desperate to do medicine would you not be better off working/saving etc to get some courses' distance package which is like 300 euro? May sound expensive but in the grander scheme of things it is an investment in your future, and a very minor investment at that, which could literally pay itself back 10000x over.

I want to agree that the HPAT can be prepared for as I clearly have to believe that or else forget about medicine with my current HPAT skills! There's also the cost of staying somewhere, travel etc so it works out very expensive as there are no courses near me. I do agree that it is a small price to pay but I am on a tight budget! Is there any other way of getting resources? Are there books or notes sold by these companies do you know? Thanks for the feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

I tought id just ask the question here rather then create a thread. Regarding the ukcat, could I just sit the LC and then apply for it in july, since the exam is on July and October.
    And then if I do get it by some miracle could I start the same year or would I have to wait etc.
    Also same goes for hpat. Could I do the lc and then have a go at it?

I want to agree that the HPAT can be prepared for as I clearly have to believe that or else forget about medicine with my current HPAT skills! There's also the cost of staying somewhere, travel etc so it works out very expensive as there are no courses near me. I do agree that it is a small price to pay but I am on a tight budget! Is there any other way of getting resources? Are there books or notes sold by these companies do you know? Thanks for the feedback!

Don't have to do the day course(The full whack). What I'm talking about is just sign up to gain the online access to the resources which is half the the price of doing the day course itself. They don't sell books as far as I know but careersservices sell practice booklets, but from what I've seen they aren't a great representation of the real exam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

By the same token, you will get people who do the HPAT, do the online courses and score lower the second year. People are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Flacas2673

All Hpat candidates should certainly get as much practise as possible in the run up to the Hpat. I did a prep course in early January and got many practise tests, I did 2 per week. It is vital however that these practise tests are not to the detriment of your Leaving Cert which is by far the most important exam when considering Medicine. I got into the 77th percentile which puts me in a relatively comfortable position but I have to stress that practise is of paramount importance. One thing I will say is that the actual Hpat exam was harder than any of the practise tests I did but please don't let that put you off as you will be marked relative to other candidates.
    Please don't be stressing about this now though! Enjoy your summer, relax and don't open a book until September, you'll burn out completely otherwise! Best of luck and remember, what's for you won't pass you!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Misty_01

VERY well said. I'm super nervous, and can't imagine repeating, it would b e horrific for me !
    Does anyone have a sample study timetable???

• Advertisement

Misty_01 wrote: »
    VERY well said. I'm super nervous, and can't imagine repeating, it would b e horrific for me !
    Does anyone have a sample study timetable???

What I did was something like this (bear in mind I'm a repeat, I had the time to do this..LC students probably won't)

Monday: S1 Drill+Dissection of it(About an hour to 90 mins in total) x2-3..Spread this out throughout the day (i.e one in the morning, one in the afternoon/evening etc)

Tuesday: S1 Exam (65 mins)....Thorough dissection of the exam and answers I got right and wrong (Another 60 mins at LEAST) and maybe another drill a couple of hours later if I had the mental capactity to do so.

Wednesday: Same as Monday only with S2

Thursday: Same as Tuesday only with S2

Friday: Loads of Section 3 questions of all types, and learn exactly your own quick methods of mastering the PTM, NITS questions and repeat these until they become second nature. Learn what nuances can be thrown into questions too because some NITS q's are not as easy as they are made out to be..

Saturday: Take it easy, Have a quick look at whatever section you feel needs to be improved on most.

Sunday: Nothing, recharge batteries time (Nursing hangovers in reality..)

-Whenever you go back to look at your exams/drills etc, note EVERY question you get wrong in a notebook and WHY you got it wrong and HOW you can prevent the same mistake/learn from this so if something similar arises again you know what to look for and how to do it..this is particularly useful for Problem Solving and S3 I found..my scores began to skyrocket when I learnt what to look out for and also when I learnt what mistakes I was constantly stupidly making and cut them out ..(Stupid mistakes cost you so so so many marks..)

-If there are days where you just are not in the humour for it, don't do it, it's all about productivity here. You'll get nothing out of doing an exam if you are half dead.

-I cannot emphasise enough the importance of looking back over your exams..it is nearly more important than doing them!

This is just a general timetable of what I did and I got 191 (up from 150 last year) so something I was doing paid off!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Misty_01

That seems like such a concentrated timetable of hard study. I would be completely overwhelmed if I had to regularly stick to such a hardcore plan. What prep courses would you say helped you out the most ???? Thank you for giving me an insight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Regarding the ukcat, could I just sit the LC and then apply for it in july, since the exam is on July and October.
    And then if I do get it by some miracle could I start the same year or would I have to wait etc.
    Also same goes for hpat. Could I do the lc and then have a go at it?

Misty_01 wrote: »
    That seems like such a concentrated timetable of hard study. I would be completely overwhelmed if I had to regularly stick to such a hardcore plan. What prep courses would you say helped you out the most ???? Thank you for giving me an insight :)

From the outset it looks tough but it just became habit tbh. The hardest part is just starting it all and after that you're grand. I did M*dentry. I didn't find the day course too helpful but it was good to be able to do a full exam under timed conditions. I found the resources invaluable though and I'd definitely recommend at least get access to the online stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Consonata

Oh god, this thread applies to me now, that is scary. I've gone through the Acer practice tests without too much issue, however apparently they aren't a proper measure of how you are going to score in the real thing. Any idea how I can optimally prepare for the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

I know I am a year behind most of you but anyways....I am beginning 5th Year this year and have come to a conclusion.

I would like to study medicine in NUI Galway(6 year),UCD,RCOS or Trinity.

(UCC off the list due to the demand of HC3 Chemisrty).

I have a few months for preparation before I embark on the voyage to 570ish points. Does anyone have any tips? Is there anything I should start thinking about now?
    I am doing after school study starting this September.(2 hours)
    I will be doing French,Geography,Physics and Biology.

Any tips in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 EllenDempsey

I'm currently trying to do drills to get some practice. Section 2 is definitely my strongest and my Secion 3 is gradually improving but certain aspects of Section 1 still catch me. Anyone have any advice on improving Section 1??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 philipphilip

Hi Guys

I know its late in the day but here goes. I sat my HPAT earlier in the year and it didnt go very well and kind of gave up on the idea of studying Medicine. I did my Leaving Cert in June and I feel I proformed very well in it and was wondering there any alternative to studing Medicine that dont depend on the HPAT?, Im open to ideas!!!!

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Consonata

Hi Guys

I know its late in the day but here goes. I sat my HPAT earlier in the year and it didnt go very well and kind of gave up on the idea of studying Medicine. I did my Leaving Cert in June and I feel I proformed very well in it and was wondering there any alternative to studing Medicine that dont depend on the HPAT?, Im open to ideas!!!!

Thanks!!

You could go to England/Scotland. A few of my friends have done that and done very well. Alternatively you could study maybe General Science and transfer later.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys

Thanks!!

You could do Grad Entry medicine? You'd gave to do the Gamsat ( which makes HPAT look relatively easy..and it's like 5.5-6 hours long) though and it could cost around 100k by the time you get your degree..

You could do medicine outside the country but you'd have to do the IMAT/BMAT/UKCAT + interviews and statements etc etc..and you'd have to move to another country.

As far as I know your LC alone won't get you into Medicine anywhere so you're gonna have to bite the bullet and do one of those other exams to get in! Just repeat HPAT is what I'd say.

Advertisement