Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    H1=90+ H2=80-89% H3=70-79 so on so forth. Apparently they are giving points for people who get below 40% which is absolutely ridiculous.

So how will this effect points? 6a1s or h1s would be 600 right? And a H2 is 90?? Am I right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Sure. Basically they're lowering the number of grade bands.
    A H1 is between 90% and 100%, and is worth 100 points.
    A H2 is between 80% and 90%, and is worth 88 points.
    Etc

However, this leads to a problem for people repeating the HPAT next year. My A2s are now worth less than they are next year. Same applies for my B1.

I'm not sure exactly what will happen. Presumably points for all courses will drop, but for by how much I don't know. It's disappointing for me because it feels like the world is against me atm and I'm never going to get Medicine haha

Dis hits the feelz of everyone who didn't get in first time. 10/10 can confirm lol.

Sure. Basically they're lowering the number of grade bands.
    A H1 is between 90% and 100%, and is worth 100 points.
    A H2 is between 80% and 90%, and is worth 88 points.
    Etc

However, this leads to a problem for people repeating the HPAT next year. My A2s are now worth less than they are next year. Same applies for my B1.

I'm not sure exactly what will happen. Presumably points for all courses will drop, but for by how much I don't know. It's disappointing for me because it feels like the world is against me atm and I'm never going to get Medicine haha

Am I right in saying that you get the same number of points for a A2 as a B1??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

F.Grimes wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that you get the same number of points for a A2 as a B1??
    Sorry my mistake, I got a C1 in Maths and that will now be equal to the same amount of points as as a C2.

My B1 is worth more now, but ultimately I am losing points.

Sorry my mistake, I got a C1 in Maths and that will now be equal to the same amount of points as as a C2.

My B1 is worth more now, but ultimately I am losing points.

Wow this is the first time I'm hearing this! This seems like the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

So a person who gets 6 B1's is the same as someone who gets 6A2s? What on earth was wrong with the old system?

• Advertisement

Wow this is the first time I'm hearing this! This seems like the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

So a person who gets 6 B1's is the same as someone who gets 6A2s? What on earth was wrong with the old system?
    I'm actually losing my mind coming to terms with it. I feel so hard done by the whole system.

A1s were down in the three sciences this year as well...

I'm actually losing my mind coming to terms with it. I feel so hard done by the whole system.

A1s were down in the three sciences this year as well...

Im actually shocked that this has happened! Why devalue someone who achieved a A2, compared to someone who only managed a B1...

That is a terrible change and I honestly can't believe that this is the first I'm hearing of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Im actually shocked that this has happened! Why devalue someone who achieved a A2, compared to someone who only managed a B1...

That is a terrible change and I honestly can't believe that this is the first I'm hearing of it.

Why would they alter a system that quite clearly was doing a decent job? Ridiculous stuff

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    Why would they alter a system that quite clearly was doing a decent job? Ridiculous stuff
    It's supposed to minimise random selection.

What would you advise? Repeat the LC in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

I wonder what the points will be like this year I would guess a 1-2 point drop, it seems like everyone I know is disappointed with their marks and with the overall application percentage down 1 or 2 percent. The wait till Monday morning is excruciating!!! Really no need for such a long wait between the results and the CAO offers!!

• Advertisement

It's supposed to minimise random selection.

How on earth would it do this?

With regards to repeating, I think it actually changes quite a lot.

It has basically meant that anyone who is not at an A1 level is significantly disadvantaged. And may have essentially gotten an B1.

In years gone by I would have said that anyone who was getting 6B1s (535) was unlikely to be getting medicine, and would be best off repeating.

So I suppose that then changes the advice I would be giving people who achieved mostly A2s. 6*A2s will be 528 points and therefore not really competitive, considering there will be a huge number of extra people achieving this each year. Therefore I think this is has really made it more difficult to get medicine if you are not getting 6A1s, a real step backwards in my eyes.

Just a quick though, how will this affect the rounding of the points for the HPAT. i.e after 550. When you're with 88 points how will this be down.

How on earth would it do this?

With regards to repeating, I think it actually changes quite a lot.

It has basically meant that anyone who is not at an A1 level is significantly disadvantaged. And may have essentially gotten an B1.

In years gone by I would have said that anyone who was getting 6B1s (535) was unlikely to be getting medicine, and would be best off repeating.

So I suppose that then changes the advice I would be giving people who achieved mostly A2s. 6*A2s will be 528 points and therefore not really competitive, considering there will be a huge number of extra people achieving this each year. Therefore I think this is has really made it more difficult to get medicine if you are not getting 6A1s, a real step backwards in my eyes.

Just a quick though, how will this affect the rounding of the points for the HPAT. i.e after 550. When you're with 88 points how will this be down.
    It's supposed to reduce the amount of students on the same number of points thus avoiding the process of random selection.

I feel as if they've phased this in slightly this year with the reduction of A1s given out. This has led to an overall reduction in the number of applicants with 600+ points too.

It's supposed to reduce the amount of students on the same number of points thus avoiding the process of random selection.

I feel as if they've phased this in slightly this year with the reduction of A1s given out. This has led to an overall reduction in the number of applicants with 600+ points too.

But now aren't you going to get everyone who gets an A2 or a B1 on the same number of points.

Like look at the statistics for this year.

In maths - 5.50% got an A1 whereas 5.60 got A2 and 6.90% a B1, therefore you'd have 12.5 of students on the same number of points!

Biology is even worse -- 5.50% on A1 (strange how that happens!) 8.20% on A2, and 7.90% on B1.. So would have 16% of students on the same points at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ryan97

Does anyone have any idea how much the points reduction would be for a HEAR student?

But now aren't you going to get everyone who gets an A2 or a B1 on the same number of points.

Like look at the statistics for this year.

In maths - 5.50% got an A1 whereas 5.60 got A2 and 6.90% a B1, therefore you'd have 12.5 of students on the same number of points!

Biology is even worse -- 5.50% on A1 (strange how that happens!) 8.20% on A2, and 7.90% on B1.. So would have 16% of students on the same points at the end of it.
    I agree with what you're saying completely. But that's the official reason from the SEC. I just don't get it

I agree with what you're saying completely. But that's the official reason from the SEC. I just don't get it

ahah I know its not your fault haha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

How would Grad med save you time? And pharmacy is 4 years

In TCD I'm pretty sure it's 5 years. And I mean if you want to do grad med then doing science in UCD, which I think is 3 years, would be wiser than doing pharmacy for 5 years if you get me

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

What about Human Health and Disease as a second choice to Med? Can I skip premed with that? Seems like a good alternative

I remembering reading somewhere on NUIG website that if you have a year done in a science based degree then you can skip premed, but I'd definitely look into it.

And yeah I did some research into HHD, and the modules seem pretty interesting and medicine-like. Some threads on boards about the course say it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 2 trumpettuba

Ryan97 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea how much the points reduction would be for a HEAR student?
    How many combined points did you get

In TCD I'm pretty sure it's 5 years. And I mean if you want to do grad med then doing science in UCD, which I think is 3 years, would be wiser than doing pharmacy for 5 years if you get me

Pretty sure it's 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Pretty sure it's 4

It's five, they added an extra year to it.

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    It's five, they added an extra year to it.

I think that 5th year is optional, its an M.Pharm, so no real need to do it, if you were going to do Grad med anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Yeah the M.Pharm is for peeps intending to practice Pharmacy but if you're gonna do Pharm I would recommend doing it because the pharmacists in my course are legit rolling in cashdolla and it makes me cry how much they earn for weekend work

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wyoml

Due to the changes next year, it seems to me the hpat will play a greater role in deciding if someone gets medicine or not??

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

wyoml wrote: »
    Due to the changes next year, it seems to me the hpat will play a greater role in deciding if someone gets medicine or not??

Do we know yet how the points will be readjusted after 550? The odd numbers coming into effect next year will surely mean that it will have to change.

I personally end up with the exact same points. I got 565 this year( 1 A1, 4 A2's and 1 B2) which equates to one H1 and 5H2's next year

Do we know yet how the points will be readjusted after 550? The odd numbers coming into effect next year will surely mean that it will have to change.

I personally end up with the exact same points. I got 565 this year( 1 A1, 4 A2's and 1 B2) which equates to one H1 and 5H2's next year
    Maybe I'm incorrect but do you not lose points due to your A2sand B2?

Eg an A2 is now worth 88 and a B2 is worth 77?

Maybe I'm incorrect but do you not lose points due to your A2sand B2?

Eg an A2 is now worth 88 and a B2 is worth 77?

Yes you are correct, I had in my head a B2 would be a H2. That's awful news actually now that I think about it

Yes you are correct, I had in my head a B2 would be a H2. That's awful news actually now that I think about it
    You'll probably get it this year, but if you don't you're going to lose 11 points next year.

You'll probably get it this year, but if you don't you're going to lose 11 points next year.

I'm just borderline for Galway so my hopes aren't too high but I think I'd repeat the hpat only if I don;t get it. I felt I didn't put enough effort in (section 3 was my worst, which really shows that) So I think I could bring up my hpat a good bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Best of luck to everybody!

Advertisement