Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Throwaway25

Someone start a TCD Class of 2021 Facebook group.

Dibs not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Whitestrand97

David1997 wrote: »
    So who's joining me in NUIG for 6 year Med? :p

Me too 🙌🻠hopefully I won't get shoved into the 5 year cause I got a1's in my all my sciences! Any idea when we'll find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

Me too 🙌🻠hopefully I won't get shoved into the 5 year cause I got a1's in my all my sciences! Any idea when we'll find out?

I got an e-mail saying next week so next Monday I'm guessing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

Does anybody know how they decide who goes into the 5/6 year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

What does everybody think the points drop will be for NUIG?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

There were no second round offers for NUIG, TCD, RCSI and UCD last year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

egg and spoon race:P

I think if you've got higher than a C in HL Chem for LC and you do well in another science then you're probably considered for 5 year.

In 2014 there was a big points drop for med and so there were many second round offers, RCSI went down 3 points I'm pretty sure!

This year there was also quite a point drop for some courses so there could be a possibility of a 1-2 drop maybe for second round? Taking a wild guess here

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pharmacy

Congratulations all who got medicine!!
    I'm about 10 points off my first choice (gutted) and have decided to take the year out to repeat the HPAT
    Just wondering do people who repeat the HPAT get their results before the end of June? And also with this new CAO points system (utter bollox) if I save my points from this year will they be altered next year?
    Cheers 😊

• Advertisement

Pharmacy wrote: »
    Congratulations all who got medicine!!
    I'm about 10 points off my first choice (gutted) and have decided to take the year out to repeat the HPAT
    Just wondering do people who repeat the HPAT get their results before the end of June? And also with this new CAO points system (utter bollox) if I save my points from this year will they be altered next year?
    Cheers 😊
    Your points changing depend on your grades, what are they like?

I'm in the exact same spot, 5 points off, it hurts. Have you considered doing a health science course while repeating the HPAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 David1997

What email was that? I didn't get it :/

Has anyone else registered with NUIG?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Whitestrand97

David1997 wrote: »
    What email was that? I didn't get it :/

Has anyone else registered with NUIG?

I didn't get an email either and I was talking some of my friends who have accepted other courses in NUIG and they've heard nothing either about theirs!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

I didn't get an email either and I was talking some of my friends who have accepted other courses in NUIG and they've heard nothing either about theirs!

I didn;t receive anything either but when I was nosing through the NUIG site I saw that you could register online and I said I'd give it a shot and it worked. They had my details on their system already.

Also says in their calendar that orientation for everyone starts 30th

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pharmacy

Your points changing depend on your grades, what are they like?

I'm in the exact same spot, 5 points off, it hurts. Have you considered doing a health science course while repeating the HPAT?

It's a sickener!
    I got offered biomed in NUIG which was my second choice but just didn't see the point in taking it for the year, felt it would be better to concentrate on the HPAT
    What's your plan?
    I've used the new points calculator and it's gone down by about 7 points

Pharmacy wrote: »
    It's a sickener!
    I got offered biomed in NUIG which was my second choice but just didn't see the point in taking it for the year, felt it would be better to concentrate on the HPAT
    What's your plan?
    I've used the new points calculator and it's gone down by about 7 points
    Yeah I'm down by 8! What an absolute joke!

I'm gonna do Human Health and Disease then repeat the HPAT. Hopefully I'll go up in rechecks

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭JC43

Yeah I'm down by 8! What an absolute joke!

I'm gonna do Human Health and Disease then repeat the HPAT. Hopefully I'll go up in rechecks

I've the opposite prob to you . Hpat 95 and went down in lc so will have to repeat both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

JC43 wrote: »
    I've the opposite prob to you . Hpat 95 and went down in lc so will have to repeat both.
    Goddamn, you must be pissed! Must've gotten an insanely high LC the first time though.

I'm sorry to all of you guys who didn't get medicine but there's something inspiring (and comforting) about you aspiring docs being so hell-bent on becoming doctors that you'll repeat again and again, even with very high points. You definitely deserve the 6 figure salaries! Good luck worthlesspeon and JC43, I'm sure you'll get it next year.

Anyone starting first med in NUIG? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Say you were offered 5 year medicine, could you take the 6 year instead?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Yes, as far as I know.

Good to know. I'd much prefer a year to adjust rather than being thrown into the deep end, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Just discovered how the points will be adjusted for 2017 leaving cert students applying to medicine.

The points above 550 will be rounded off to the nearest 5 and be adjusted as usual e.g 562 points changes to 560 and this is adjusted by the usual method to 552.

Found this information on the ucc website if you want to see it for yourselves!
    https://www.ucc.ie/en/ck701/

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

Just discovered how the points will be adjusted for 2017 leaving cert students applying to medicine.

The points above 550 will be rounded off to the nearest 5 and be adjusted as usual e.g 562 points changes to 560 and this is adjusted by the usual method to 552.

Found this information on the ucc website if you want to see it for yourselves!
    https://www.ucc.ie/en/ck701/

Best of luck to those poor people trying to calculate this on the day they get their LC results!

I saw somebody leave a place in NUIG for RCSI today. Does that mean there'll be a points drop come round 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Boo102

So how will our Leaving Cert points be changed next year ? I missed out by 8 HPAT points this year and I'm only going to repeat the HPAT. Will my LC points be readjusted under the new scheme or will they stay as they are ?

Boo102 wrote: »
    So how will our Leaving Cert points be changed next year ? I missed out by 8 HPAT points this year and I'm only going to repeat the HPAT. Will my LC points be readjusted under the new scheme or will they stay as they are ?
    They'll be readjusted next year, it's kinda unfair really

Guys I need some advice! Really stuck here :(

So I accepted my offer for med from NUIG but just found out today that I got a place RCSI and not too sure what to do now. I'm from Dublin.

Like I'm loving it in Galway so far but I'm just thinking of the future. I haven't heard lots of great things about RCSI around here but its teaching hospitals are all the main Dublin ones which are better than the ones here in the West.

Does anyone have any pros and cons of either places vs the other?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

Guys I need some advice! Really stuck here :(

So I accepted my offer for med from NUIG but just found out today that I got a place RCSI and not too sure what to do now. I'm from Dublin.

Like I'm loving it in Galway so far but I'm just thinking of the future. I haven't heard lots of great things about RCSI around here but its teaching hospitals are all the main Dublin ones which are better than the ones here in the West.

Does anyone have any pros and cons of either places vs the other?

Thanks!

Just curious how that worked out, did you appeal a result or something? Do you actually have to make a choice? I would have thought that you would have have to accept you're highest placed choice.

Advertisement