Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

wyoml wrote: »
    Planning on repeating the hpat but with 550 points in not sure is it worth repeating the leaving cert?
    Exact same spot, what did you get in the HPAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 galwegian1995

Guys, repeating the HPAT alone can be an excellent opportunity. I missed med by 2 points last year on 560 and 73rd%ile. This year, I studied for the HPAT, worked, saved and started doing so so much more and I'm so chuffed with the year I've just had. I put 3 solid months into that exam this year and now I'm on 89th%ile and very hopeful I'll get somewhere on Monday. It is so possible to go up despite however discouraged you may already be feeling. All my friends who repeated the HPAT alone (bar one - who then got it on their third attempt) got it the second time. I know people who've gone up by 20, 30 and one by even 40 percentiles. It's possible.

That said, I know another who never felt confident in the HPAT and was adamant they wouldn't be able to significantly improve their score the second time. They therefore felt the need to repeat the LC as well, having got 550 the first time. In the end, they went up loads in the LC and not much in the HPAT and scraped med the following year. If you feel you can improve your HPAT at all, then just do that. If not, repeat the LC as well. However, it's worth nothing that by repeating the leaving cert as well, you won't have as much time to prep for the HPAT. And you'll be up against all those who are just repeating that and have so much more time to out into it. Hope this helps to some extent

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wyoml

Exact same spot, what did you get in the HPAT?

Not going to lie I didn't do well in the hpat due to a combination of starting preparation too late and having the flu the week of the exam (excuses I know). Got the 50%. Having a very tough time deciding what to do?

Not going to lie I didn't do well in the hpat due to a combination of starting preparation too late and having the flu the week of the exam (excuses I know). Got the 50%. Having a very tough time deciding what to do?
    If I don't get it this time around I'll take a related course and repeat the HPAT, it's such a joke of an exam you'd be a fool not to. We'll get there in the end! What do you have after medicine on the CAO?

If I don't get it this time around I'll take a related course and repeat the HPAT, it's such a joke of an exam you'd be a fool not to. We'll get there in the end! What do you have after medicine on the CAO?
    I have biomedical science courses and general science courses down. Feeling worse and worse about the whole situation. Going to a guidance counsellor to get advice as I'm worried as to how to change in the points system for 2017 will effect things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

I know a young woman,shes twenty eight now,she did a four year science course and then went to Limerick to do medicine as a mature student.She is now finished but is starting off working life with a debt of 100,000 euros.

I think anyone who came close to getting what they want should repeat the HPAT or Leaving cert.You are obviously very bright to manage to get in excess of 500 points in the leaving so its worth having another run at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GavD97

Planning on repeating the hpat but with 550 points in not sure is it worth repeating the leaving cert?

Firstly, congratulations on your fantastic results. You should be so proud. I was in your exact position last year. I got 550 lc points and did a terrible HPAT (The HPAT is a poor exam for entry into medicine anyway). So I decided to repeat, and it was probably the best decision I ever made. If I hadn't repeated the leaving cert my new HPAT score wouldn't have gotten me even close with 550 points. So now my chances are looking good. So I would say think about it, but if you're really determined to do medicine then you should really consider repeating. It went so so fast and it was so worth it. If you have any questions, please pm me whenever you want. I hope this helps you decide, and anyone else on the same boat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

GavD97 wrote: »
    Firstly, congratulations on your fantastic results. You should be so proud. I was in your exact position last year. I got 550 lc points and did a terrible HPAT (The HPAT is a poor exam for entry into medicine anyway). So I decided to repeat, and it was probably the best decision I ever made. If I hadn't repeated the leaving cert my new HPAT score wouldn't have gotten me even close with 550 points. So now my chances are looking good. So I would say think about it, but if you're really determined to do medicine then you should really consider repeating. It went so so fast and it was so worth it. If you have any questions, please pm me whenever you want. I hope this helps you decide, and anyone else on the same boat. :)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but if you repeat after getting 550 the max you are possible gaining is 15 points??? I suppose it's up to whoever but 15 points is if you get 625 and is that really worth a year when you could do a science degree and repeat the HPAT. (When every 5 points after 550 is 1 point).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GavD97

yoyojc wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but if you repeat after getting 550 the max you are possible gaining is 15 points??? I suppose it's up to whoever but 15 points is if you get 625 and is that really worth a year when you could do a science degree and repeat the HPAT. (When every 5 points after 550 is 1 point).

15 points is a lot when it comes to medicine, but I completely understand what you are saying, it may sound crazy to do it, but you can never know with the HPAT, because its such a terrible exam. But obviously i'm only trying to help them decide :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

GavD97 wrote: »
    15 points is a lot when it comes to medicine, but I completely understand what you are saying, it may sound crazy to do it, but you can never know with the HPAT, because its such a terrible exam. But obviously i'm only trying to help them decide :)

I was in the same situation! My thoughts were just like yours, every point matters and you would hate to miss out by a single point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

I'm so worried guys, I got 565 in the leaving cert and 170 in the hpat which only leaves me at 723. That was the points for galway in the final round last year but it said not everybody on those points got it.

I'm so worried guys, I got 565 in the leaving cert and 170 in the hpat which only leaves me at 723. That was the points for galway in the final round last year but it said not everybody on those points got it.
    I can see a slight points drop, I'd say you're safe, try not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Anyone else starting Medicine in NUIG looking for accommodation. Or have you all it sorted months ago !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jamesc2016

I can see a slight points drop, I'd say you're safe, try not to worry.

Do you think it could drop two points? Or am I being very optimistic :/

Or how many points do you think it will drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lubo96

I've got a combined total of 733 and am very worried il miss out on trinity or UCD by a point or two, not saying I won't be delighted with RCSI but this wait is killing me, so nervous for Monday as this is my second time round doing this

Lubo96 wrote: »
    I've got a combined total of 733 and am very worried il miss out on trinity or UCD by a point or two, not saying I won't be delighted with RCSI but this wait is killing me, so nervous for Monday as this is my second time round doing this

Did you repeat the leaving cert and the hpat? Would you mind sharing your experience?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lubo96 wrote: »
    Ofc I fully understand how you must be feeling, but Monday won't come any sooner by you worrying! ;)

At least you know with those points that you should get a med offer!

Try to fill your weekend with activities / organise things with friends to save yourself being a nervous wreck by the time the offers come out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 saif.khalid14

Ok here is the story. I got 7 higher A1s in the lc (625) but only 153 in hpat .
    Any advice? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Ok here is the story. I got 7 higher A1s in the lc (625) but only 153 in hpat .
    Any advice? Thanks in advance
    Repeat the hpat. Either take a year out or do an intermediate course like biomed to skip a year in ucd. I would recommend taking a year out and saving up and avoiding biomed. From experience the atmosphere is toxic and few people there actually want to be studying the course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Repeat the hpat. Either take a year out or do an intermediate course like biomed to skip a year in ucd. I would recommend taking a year out and saving up and avoiding biomed. From experience the atmosphere is toxic and few people there actually want to be studying the course

Did you actually do biomed? I'm studying it, as someone who wants to, and wouldn't go anywhere near describing the atmosphere as toxic and there's plenty of us who actually want to do the course.. May as well use the year repeating the hpat to actually do a year of college and skip the pointless premed in ucd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Would it be possible to start pharmacy for one year, repeat the Hpat and then transfer to 5year medicine rather than 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LochlanCummins

Repeat student here, got 565 in the LC and 87th percentile in the Hpat (177) and hoping to go to Galway. I have Trinity down as my first choice but i think I'd prefer to go to galway because some of my friends are going to do medicine there too. Anyone here in Galway want to share their experience of Medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

Would it be possible to start pharmacy for one year, repeat the Hpat and then transfer to 5year medicine rather than 6?

I know in Galway they'll consider you for 5 year course, not sure about UCC or UCD though, contact the universities. In trinity you'd have to start from year 1.

I wouldn't recommend starting pharmacy though, I've a cousin in TCD pharmacy, they're pretty much in 9-5, really heavy workload and quite a few continuous assessment tests, even in first year. It'd be hard to manage all that and HPAT prep. You're better off with a science course which should give you more time & if you choose grad med, you'd save a year or two over pharmacy which is 5 years.

I know in Galway they'll consider you for 5 year course, not sure about UCC or UCD though, contact the universities. In trinity you'd have to start from year 1.

I wouldn't recommend starting pharmacy though, I've a cousin in TCD pharmacy, they're pretty much in 9-5, really heavy workload and quite a few continuous assessment tests, even in first year. It'd be hard to manage all that and HPAT prep. You're better off with a science course which should give you more time & if you choose grad med, you'd save a year or two over pharmacy which is 5 years.

How would Grad med save you time? And pharmacy is 4 years

What about Human Health and Disease as a second choice to Med? Can I skip premed with that? Seems like a good alternative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Repeat student here, got 565 in the LC and 87th percentile in the Hpat (177) and hoping to go to Galway. I have Trinity down as my first choice but i think I'd prefer to go to galway because some of my friends are going to do medicine there too. Anyone here in Galway want to share their experience of Medicine?

Socially you will not get a better course. Galway is a fantastic spot to be a student and everyone in your year will become so close so quick, there is great camaraderie amongst everyone in the Medical school. MedSoc are a fantastic crowd too in everything they do.

I repeated last year and did premed this year. Academically it is just like first year science(Bio, Chem and Physics) but with an Introduction to Medicine module(Semester 1) that includes learning basic Clinical skills (History taking, Taking blood pressure by hand etc). You do a case report based on a history you take of an actual patient in UCHG and do a group project on a given health topic which is presented in the Hospital in front of your class+Module Directors who are oftentimes Drs in these areas . In semester 2 you do a handy enough Anatomy module where you are brought into the Anatomy lab and shown the ropes before you go into first med which is really interesting.

You will have few hours in general and it is a fantastic year for finding your feet in college, making friends and going a bit wild before First med comes around. Would 110% recommend it to anyone.

First Med you'll do Anatomy/Biochem/Physiology/Professionalism and a student selected module that you pick which can range from Basic Surgical skills to High Altitude Medicine to Exercise Physiology. Very intense workload however. Very. However everyone seems to thoroughly enjoy it.
    What about Human Health and Disease as a second choice to Med? Can I skip premed with that? Seems like a good alternative

Would you consider taking a year out, earning some good money from working and giving 100% to repeat HPAT? Those courses are very workload intensive. You could then go into Medicine and you wouldn't have to worry about the free fees/Susi (if applicable) situation. It is only a year and if you didnt get it you could still walk into those courses and you would be up some major dolla and wouldnt have to live off Aldi 15c ramen noodles

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    Would you consider taking a year out, earning some good money from working and giving 100% to repeat HPAT? Those courses are very workload intensive. You could then go into Medicine and you wouldn't have to worry about the free fees/Susi (if applicable) situation. It is only a year and if you didnt get it you could still walk into those courses and you would be up some major dolla and wouldnt have to live off Aldi 15c ramen noodles
    I'm definitely considering it but I'm being cautious about the whole thing. My 3 A2s will sadly be worth less points next year with the new grade system. I just don't want to miss out next year (which would be my luck!) and then be starting a course I could have already completed the first year of

Also I read HHD has nowhere near the hours of Pharmacy

I'm definitely considering it but I'm being cautious about the whole thing. My 3 A2s will sadly be worth less points next year with the new grade system. I just don't want to miss out next year (which would be my luck!) and then be starting a course I could have already completed the first year of

Would you mind explaining the new system, sorry I'm totally out of the loop, but I'll be at higher options so thought I should brush up on the rules changes. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

F.Grimes wrote: »
    Would you mind explaining the new system, sorry I'm totally out of the loop, but I'll be at higher options so thought I should brush up on the rules changes. Thanks

H1=90+ H2=80-89% H3=70-79 so on so forth. Apparently they are giving points for people who get below 40% which is absolutely ridiculous.

• Advertisement

F.Grimes wrote: »
    Sure. Basically they're lowering the number of grade bands.
    A H1 is between 90% and 100%, and is worth 100 points.
    A H2 is between 80% and 90%, and is worth 88 points.
    Etc

However, this leads to a problem for people repeating the HPAT next year. My A2s are now worth less than they are next year. Same applies for my B1.

I'm not sure exactly what will happen. Presumably points for all courses will drop, but for by how much I don't know. It's disappointing for me because it feels like the world is against me atm and I'm never going to get Medicine haha

Advertisement