Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Got new wheels today, Ultegra WH6800, absolutely had to go out and test them. Nothing over the top but a nice little upgrade from the RS11 that came with the bike.
    I'm not easily impressed but I was impressed. I took them around the block on a circuit that has plenty of small humps and hollows and a rough surface in places. They absorbed a huge amount of road buzz.
    I noticed a big difference switching from cheap 23mm tyres to 25mm Contis a while back, well this was even more noticeable. Can't wait to get out for a proper spin this weekend and see how they perform on a decent climb.
    I really like the look of them too.
    Happy

I put these - and 25mm Conti GPIIs - onto my Felt before it touched the road. I haven't touched them since they went on and they are still like new. For anyone looking for a reliable, reasonably light, good looking upgrade I couldn't recommend these enough - fit and forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,118 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

quick spin, up stocking lane to the viewpoint, down cruagh, up cruagh to the viewpoint, down stocking lane and home. Was sunny in the hills, and watching the rain over the city from the viewpoint. got pissed on on the way home from rathfarnham onwards though...

havent been out much recently, was good to put some vertical metres back in the legs and happy that im still around my pbs for the segments up there. Will ramp up the spins in July

https://www.strava.com/activities/619588871

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Some guys need to grow a thicker skin and learn that when a stronger rider passes them on a spin that they are not showing off or being disrespectful! Came across one such person today. 2-3 times he sprinted past me when he recovered from his efforts. What a tool!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First spin with the local club today. I've been meaning to go with them for ages but haven't been able to get out for their midweek spins and I usually hit the hills on Sunday whereas they stay local. One of the guys posted on FB last night about doing the Blooms today so seeing as I was available I jumped at the chance.
    The weather was alright down on the flat but bloody manky once we got halfway up the hills. Thick cold fog and a stiff crosswind on the Cut and headwind going up Wolftrap made it tough going. The descents were slow enough too as the roads were greasy.
    They were the racing group so I was pushed fairly hard to stay with them at times but overall I really enjoyed it. I learned a bit about correct position in the group and tried to take my turn a few times up front. TBH I was boll0xed by the end of it but I didn't get dropped on the hills and only got left behind when the others gave it socks in the last km back to the start. I'll have to try and get out with them again as they were all really decent lads and it did me good to be out of my comfort zone.
    The new wheels are great too :)

76.5km in 2:50 and a PR on the Cut and a few more elsewhere.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/620094869

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

Sat spin, took a trip over to see the Nat Masters at Killcullen
    continued on over to Hollywood and up the W Gap then home via SG and Saggart etc
    few showers but dried off quickly, not too balmy out there!! met quite a few on opp direction on WG (training for tmrw Nat champs??, big groups of club riders)
    must sort out foot pain(shoes, cleat position, pedals? thicker socks ?),
    spin was too far on this bike after my hols, having gained 4Kg!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/620417025

• Advertisement

Went up stocking lane this morning and met someone in full Sky gear flying down near the hellfire club.

Was it Nico Roche??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ronoc wrote: »
    Went up the stocking lane this morning and met someone in full Sky gear flying down near the he'll fire club.

Was it Nico Roche??

Possibly, but there's also someone I've seen around Griffith Avenue/Ballymun road in full sky gear and with a Pinnarello. Possibly seen the same person in full Tinkoff kit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Thud

Went up stocking lane this morning and met someone in full Sky gear flying down near the hellfire club.

Was it Nico Roche??
    He as out that direction last weekend with tt helmet on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thud wrote: »
    He as out that direction last weekend with tt helmet on

I would imagine now he is on the road helmet having won the TT already

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Was it Nico Roche??

The sky Ireland employee cycling club , get all the sky gear at very discounted rates. Could be any of them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

had planned on heading from home over to Rathfarnham and up to Sally Gap this morning but rain was about to start when I left so did a nice if not very wet and chilly at times leisurely 70km around North County Dublin. Loads of people out this morning, I left home at 7:50 and dont think Ive ever seen so many bikes out that early on a Sunday morning and in crappy weather aswell. Must have been alot of people getting out early to get back home for the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

75k club annual tour today

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Did 100km around North Dublin, friend got the knock after 85km but at least it was a learning experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

86 km, first proper cycle in 3 weeks (chest infection) . Like I'd never cycled, will take a few weeks to get back upto speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭secman

Home.....Killenagh ...Gorey..on to Camolin.. Ferns.. left across to The Harrow...Boolavogue... Ballyedmund.... home. 52km... forgot to check Avg... anxious to get down to Cahore for a swim before the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Took a 20km spin up the park between dinner and getting the kids to bed.
    Lovely evening with lots of cyclists out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just couldn't do it this evening, 10kms in I felt like I'd done 70, to be fair to myself I did a leg workout at lunch in the gym, even doing a PB on the leg press.
    Back on track with food too and I need to stay on point this week, I have a 100k with work around Blessington/Naas

20kms tonight, cycled to Corkagh Park and back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

usual 28.85 kms commute this morning, 71 mins 24.1kmph avg.
    climbed rugged lane, i know why its called rugged lane, the road suface is sh1te!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Nice spin with Koutobia today, 66kms into town and back in the wet.
    Did it on the steel Colnago with woolly top and all :)

https://twitter.com/ConorTMcGrane/status/747795732703416320

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Tipp League race this evening which was my first race as such, very nervt beforehand but settled when it got going.

Finished well but not involved as my inexperience showed as i tried to go with 6km left, didn't last but didn't fall asunder once caught.

28km at average of 41.4km/h, max heart rate of 173bpm so will use that going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

First spin since the W200. Took a week off after that, then got a bit of a sinus/throat/upper respiratory tract infection which floored for a few days.
    Was gonna go Sunday but the rain and still being on antibiotics put me off.
    Wasnt sure how I'd feel today, but legs felt really good, and back and hips actually felt like they benefitted from the rest!
    Didnt feel like I has the lungs going uphill but to be expected after the infection.
    Went up Ballinascorney and out onto the N81 and onto Blessington, then home via the N81 and thru Citywest and down by Corcaigh Park.
    No idea of the distance/time/avg speed as the speedo was not charged when I was heading off. Liverating not having it to be honest! You become a slave to it far too often for my liking, and today I was just glad to get out and blow off the cobwebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

on the spin home last nite from work, out the farmleigh gate of the PP I pass a young wan out jogging. I get up to the lights at the cossroads heading towards castlknock college, whn the same young wan who by now had gotten into her vw golf decides that she has had enough of waiting at the lights and decides "ahh fcuk it, im in a hurry" and breaks the red light and goes on her merry way.

The hair/nail/eybrow appointment must be worth gambling with getting into an rta and possibly killing some other poor divil.
    #effingobsheen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out to blessington this evening from Kilnamanagh, out and back the on the
    N81, bit of drizzle on way out but dry on way back. 42km Avg 26.9 kph.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Man down in Dublin 6 this morning. Outside the army barracks on the canal between Rathmines bridge and Harolds Cross bridge. I didn't stop as there were a few people helping out but he was on his back with his bicycle beside him. I didn't see what happened but I've had a few near misses at that entrance over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Late putting this up but on Monday had a day off an after the kids went to the minder headed off about 8am.

Swords - Naul - Drogheda - Termonfeckin - Clogherhead - Castlebellingham - Dundalk - Carlingford (lunch) - Omeath - took off over the hill instead of going all the way into Newry - back to N1 and back into Dundalk - Castlebellingham - Dunleer - Drogheda - Swords

All in 211km avg moving speed of 26.1 kph.

Got back just as the kids were being dropped back to the house.

My longest spin so far most of it solo. Met a Cuchulainn club member from Castlebellingham to Dundalk who kept me company as far as the roundabout for Carlingford.

Stopped for lunch in Carlingford with the day trippers.

Couple of things learned along the way that day. Its further than you think from Dundalk to Castlebellingham when you don't have company. I should have stopped and refilled the bottles before leaving Dundalk. I was empty from the stretch all the way to Monasterboice. The 30k between 135 and 165 were some of the most miserable with a drag and crosswind and no cover.

Felt better from Drogheda and tapped along nicely knowing I needed to get home.

Strava here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Man down in Dublin 6 this morning. Outside the army barracks on the canal between Rathmines bridge and Harolds Cross bridge. I didn't stop as there were a few people helping out but he was on his back with his bicycle beside him. I didn't see what happened but I've had a few near misses at that entrance over the years.

Woman down this morning at 06:30 on the north quays opposite Guinness. Had just come on the accident so didn't see what happened but she was being assisted by two motorists and another cyclists so didn't stay long. From what was said sounded like both the cyclist and motorist changed lanes simultaneously and collided. Ambulance was being called as cyclist had a head injury but was conscious and coherent, bicycle was in a state and looked like car drove over the front wheel buckling it and the fork. Hope all is well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Ciaran_B wrote: »

Just up from this then:

http://irishcycle.com/2016/06/14/ghost-bike-removed-under-dublin-city-abandoned-bicycle-scheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Went down myself yesterday, whizzing down the underground carpark, hit a wet patch and landed on my hole. I thought I'd gotten away with it and not been seen but alas I was wrong, HR lady was sitting in her car laughing her ass off at me. No harm to bike or myself thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Passed the 10,000kms year to date on this morning's club ride. :)

• Advertisement

Went up stocking lane and decided to continue on to the second viewing point. Calm weather turned to driving wind and rain.

Turned at the top and was on the brakes all the way back down being buffeted by the wind. Calm again as soon as I got back to the first viewing point. Amazing how the weather changes so fast in the hills.

Good test for the new Gabba :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement