Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

didnt cycle today as my legs are hanging off me from the last 2 days commuting and I have plans after work, I did however see a Mrs Doyle looky likey from the Speed Episode with the lustful Pat Mustard, this young wan must have had her make up done by slingshot, all the colours of the rainbow and it was everywhere.
    She made me smile, so if that was her mission she succeeded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

went out for a spin this morning before work - wasn't planning on being out too long, but ended up out in the naul, which was probably a bit stupid as all i'd eaten was an apple before i left and a banana halfway through.
    55km, 27.3km/h average.

i was feeling it coming back up past roganstown.

sorry should have mentioned earlier, i was passed by a Orwell cycle club member yesterday evening in the PP just off cheterfield ave, Nice bike young lady!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Went out on a gentle evening spin to level out after busy day at the office. Having recently bought Edge520 these "gentle evening spins" usually turn out as interval sessions as there's always some livesegment on the screen. Went on full attack at Howth Hill TT and improved my PR from 10:15 to 9:28. Making it to the top in under 10mins felt suprisingly good :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/610322317

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Got well and truly dropped by a TT spin along the Batterstown road. I thought I was buzzing along at 36k when I passed a bunch of people who are being sent off, The chap who then passed me left me in the shade for the next 6k. Fair play. Still a short little hammerfest of 25k at 35k avg. Happy with the evenings work if a little envious of the younger/stronger cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Childhood dream realised for me today cycling the Alpe D'Huez! Parked at the top headed down then took a right turn about halfway down and dropped into the valley and then headed up. 44kms with 1200m climbed. Best weather we've had too! Temp went up to 29! Absolutely delighted with myself!

https://www.strava.com/activities/610168485

Childhood dream realised for me today cycling the Alpe D'Huez! Parked at the top headed down then took a right turn about halfway down and dropped into the valley and then headed up. 44kms with 1200m climbed. Best weather we've had too! Temp went up to 29! Absolutely delighted with myself!

https://www.strava.com/activities/610168485
    its on my bucket list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

what powers do the councils have in relation to people burning rubbish on their own property?
    traprunner wrote: »
    They can impose fines and prosecute as far as I am aware. I know that up around Louth a few years ago they were using a helicopter every now and again to find people burning rubbish. It's usually in the middle of the countryside where folk think they can get away with anything....out of sight out of mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpL0Q2OSRwQ&feature=youtu.be&t=31s

[Aside: YouTube was smart enough to serve up an advert for a country music gig at the Point with this video]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

rather unpleasant evening for a spin but did manage to get in most of the distance i wanted. 77km at an avg speed of 24km which must be a record seeing as I had legs that felt like lead blocks and pretty much had headwinds or crosswinds for about 50km. Was a bit chilly tonight and few times regretted not taking the leg warmers and a slightly heavier jersey. Have also discovered that I cant eat while out on the bike, can take gels and water alright but an energy bar or sweets just doesnt go down and makes me feel crap. Ive tried various bars & sweets over the last while and then just went on gels and water with energy tablets and never felt bad but tried a bar tonight and didnt go down well.

72kms today up Mont Vernier and the Col de Chaussy the switchbacks that featured in the Tour last year. Absolutely incredible scenery up there. Temperature went up to 29 degrees with 1600m of climbing! I could get used to this.

https://www.strava.com/activities/612017953/overview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Heading up Alpe D'Huez next month,can't wait.Could you tell us how hard it really is??Loads of other riders about I 'd guess?

Alpe D'Huez is very doable especially if I can do it! It starts climbing right from the start and doesn't really let up with 7-13% gradients all the way. It was very warm the day I did it but the weather here generally at the moment is very bad, lots of rain and an almighty thunder storm about 10mins after I got in from my spin today! Lots of riders going up and down and traffic but they give you a wide berth so it's not bad. Bring lots of water because the only fountain I found wasn't working. Take it at your own pace and you'll be fine and most importantly, enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Heading up Alpe D'Huez next month,can't wait.Could you tell us how hard it really is??Loads of other riders about I 'd guess?
    Its doable but by J****s its hard. Stay away from the inside of the hairpins. I did it many years ago with the lads from Carrick, and Kelly told us that the pros (even the sprinters) aimed to do it in about 40 mins. One of the Carrick lads did it in exactly 40 so i suppose it is 'doable'. If you're doing it on the day of the Alp stage its an experience never to be forgotten, they say there are up to a million spectators on that stage (sounds a bit over the top to me but there are a lot) many of whom have been on the Alp from the previous night and they are looking for anything to relieve the boredom. 'climbing' the Alp with a bunch of crazed Frenchmen running along beside you screaming 'allez allez' and throwing ice cold water on you is not something you forget easily and there is no way you are going to stop in those circumstances......I also did it in 40 mins..........plus 1 hour! Never (ever) again!

PS in my defence I weigh over 200lbs and my natural habitat is the finishing straight in the Champs and not in the Alps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

Passed Nico on his way home at back of Marley park this morning in full gear, think he had tt helmet with visor on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

First cycle in a group today , did Cycle Ataxia just over 4hours . It was my longest ride to date was definitely helped by other friendly cyclists on route who didn't mind me tagging along I spent a fair amount of time at front so not as to be seen as drafting.
    Excellent experience, tired now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

First cycle in a group today , did Cycle Ataxia just over 4hours . It was my longest ride to date was definitely helped by other friendly cyclists on route who didn't mind me tagging along I spent a fair amount of time at front so not as to be seen as drafting.

Don't be afraid to roll through as most lads/lassies won't mind especially as it was your first group spin. I'd have no doubt they were happy to leave you drive on for longer periods than you should have.

dahat wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to roll through as most lads/lassies won't mind especially as it was your first group spin. I'd have no doubt they were happy to leave you drive on for longer periods than you should have.

I stayed at the front almost all of it I didn't mind my legs felt good. I'm not really into drafting others it feels like your not working maybe on another day if i'm wrecked I wil!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I stayed at the front almost all of it I didn't mind my legs felt good. I'm not really into drafting others it feels like your not working maybe on another day if i'm wrecked I wil!

I wouldn't call it drafting on a club spin I'd call it sharing the work as equal as possible. Drafting is a term used for Triathlons rather than road work, no?

dahat wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it drafting on a club spin I'd call it sharing the work as equal as possible. Drafting is a term used for Triathlons rather than road work, no?

I don't have a clue sorry mate I'm new to cycling only at it couple of months. I guess I've a lot to learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Passed a few big groups of friendly cyclists today at ballyboughal I'm assuming it was cycle ataxia?

Did 63km with the club today in nice weather. Enjoyed it a lot. glad I got up early for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

I'd planned on completing my first 100km cycle this month, got up to 69km last weekend - went out this morning and cycled 116km. Didn't break any speed records, but happy to have reached the 100km milestone (at last). Kept a nice and steady pace, I was wary of burning out before the 100km point. In the end I found it fairly comfortable, and will hopefully be able to manage these longer cycles on a regular basis now - enjoyed it today & felling fine afterwards.
    116km. Avg speed 24.4km. Time 4hrs 46mins.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/612887272
    Bonus from the ride:The 1000+ metres elevation got me over the 6000m needed to get my first Strava Climbing Challenge completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I rode the full length of the Liffey today from source (Sally Gap) to sea (East link bridge). It's a do-able 128km from near my house up to the Gap and then down through Wicklow, Kildare and Dublin. Mostly quiet roads with some busy stretches near Clane and the city centre. Four hours from Kippure to East link bridge is not too bad! Now to do it in reverse!

https://www.strava.com/activities/613180974

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

160k done today.

Went up the coast towards Drogheda with the intentions to check out Slane Castle. That unfortunately was closed for the time being so no luck. On the upside it was a dry but a bit cold day to be out. Still enjoyed the ride greatly. Boyne Valley region was particularly nice. Coffee, service and cats at Tara Hill are always something to look for.

https://www.strava.com/activities/613118889

iYQ2qZ7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Did this too, though I cut 10km off the route to get home on time for the Ireland game. So 3:43 for my 100km.
    Great route, fairly up and down and my legs feel it now. Spent a fair bit at the front myself but got into some good rotations too. Savage gooey-in-the-middle chocolate muffin at the food stop, no shortage of anything.
    Fair play to all the marshalls/organisers, thanked as many as I could on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Today I did the 104km route on the Tour de Burren. Won't pretend I wasn't slow, or that it was easy, but I did get around and it's my first ever 100km+ ride so I feel like I've eaned the right to be a bit tired this evening.

A very well run event, I felt, though I don't have much to compare it with. Some big hills - Liscannor-Cliffs of Moher sapped a lot from me - and it was a shame that the weather turned towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

A quick 39k for me this evening as I missed my regular spin. Felt good going round but must leave more time between stir fry and hoofing it towards garristown for fear of puking on my bar tape

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

brianomc wrote: »
    Did this too, though I cut 10km off the route to get home on time for the Ireland game. So 3:43 for my 100km.
    Great route, fairly up and down and my legs feel it now. Spent a fair bit at the front myself but got into some good rotations too. Savage gooey-in-the-middle chocolate muffin at the food stop, no shortage of anything.
    Fair play to all the marshalls/organisers, thanked as many as I could on the route.

I just did the 48 this year. The friends I was cycling with hadn't really cycled before so I hung with them. Nice route for the 48; would consider going out again and doing it at my own pace. Although maybe without those muffins it wouldn't be as nice!! Great day out though. Averaged I think 22kph, which isn't bad for people who only got road bikes last month! And I enjoyed not being the one slowing up the group for once :D

Fantastic organisation as always. Food stops were great. Lots of everything. I had to convince my buddies not to have any gels for the first time today!! I didn't have them either - didn't need them thankfully. But I didn't want them to be in a sticky situation in the middle of nowhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

A nice 80km through Connemara. I have been on the easy list for 18 months . To get through this without a hitch is a big step. Roll on the next few weeks of events here in the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Cycle ataxia this morning. Cycled from sutton to ashbourne, did the 110km route and back home to Sutton (a la wishbone ash!). 169km in total averaging 31km/hr, total time 5hrs 30mins. Got into the front group who drilled it after the first 30km at a serious pace. Overall, an absolutely fantastic event and extremely well organised. I highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

about 121km today. stopped at 112km and my garmin just turned itself off and never saved any of the previous 4 hours ride data even though battery was about 70%. Turned it back on for the last 9 km home and not a problem. Was meant to do the 160km swords tour but was up late and missed the start by about 50 minutes so plodded away on my own thinking i,ll get around, got to tayto park wet miserable and wrecked so decided to wimp out and head for home. While I was soaked and miserable I was actually warm so not a totally horrible spin just really pissed over the garmin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement