Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

neris wrote: »
    about 121km today. stopped at 112km and my garmin just turned itself off and never saved any of the previous 4 hours ride data even though battery was about 70%. Turned it back on for the last 9 km home and not a problem. Was meant to do the 160km swords tour but was up late and missed the start by about 50 minutes so plodded away on my own thinking i,ll get around, got to tayto park wet miserable and wrecked so decided to wimp out and head for home. While I was soaked and miserable I was actually warm so not a totally horrible spin just really pissed over the garmin.

The only sensible place for a bike on a day like this is in the shed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

70kms today from St Alban D'Hurtiere down the valley to St Jean de Maurienne and back. Bike has to go back tomorrow afternoon. Going back to Wicklow road surfaces next week will be a pain in the arse. Literally. Just happened to be in Aiguebelle when the Tour de Savoie Mont Blanc went through!

https://www.strava.com/activities/613905789

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

The only sensible place for a bike on a day like this is in the shed :)

See Rule 5 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

150km on the Swords tour, lashed down for the entire day! Really well run event though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

neris wrote: »
    .... my garmin just turned itself off ... ....Was meant to do the 160km swords tour ...
    My Garmin decided to switch itself off also today during the Swords CC Tour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Went down to the Swords Leisure Tour to do the 60k route. Didn't go with the fast group, which would be my group historically, as they would have been too fast after all my time off the bike. Realised that the group for the 60k would be way to slow for me so I went with the middle group. Realised after a few hundred metres that they were too slow also so I took off on my own (I had to be back to bring children swimming) and had an 85.5k solo hammerfest around NCD and Meath and probably weighed more coming home than I did leaving I was that water logged!

I have not rode my bike like that it a very long time. It felt awesome!

Legs are sore now though!

Check out my 85.5 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/613981777

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭secman

Sat. Killenagh ballygarret kilmuckridge ratheenduff boolavogue ballyedmund killenagh ballygarret..home
    60 km 25 kmph avg

Tonight.
    Kilnamanagh..blessington valleymount Lacken blessington. Back to Kilnamanagh.
    Just under 70km Avg 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 waywardchild

check out my 325.4Km epic spin here
    https://www.strava.com/activities/612207156

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

This afternoon took a spin from Sutton up to Balbriggan and returned home via Skerries (stopped for a coffee) / Malahide. 72km in total with an average speed of 33.4 km/hr for a total moving time of 2:09:46. Was happy with that considering how poxy the wind was. It was right into my face on the drag out of skerries all the way back towards swords. It seemed to come from all directions today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/615237368

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Wanted to go back to the low cadence high power efforts, really worked well for my climbing. Used part of the Athronan and Swainstown segments to keep it to 60rpm. Felt great on the last leg with figures over 500 watts on the climb

Poxy wind out today, circular course and it felt like it was coming from all directions

Check out my 38.7 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/615216936

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lately I've been extending my commute home thanks to the decent weather and kids stuff starting to wind down as the end of the school year approaches.

So this evening I left Swords and headed past Forest Little Golf Club, around Dublin Airport through the city and home via Inchicore.

I made a decision on Dorest St to hang a left on to Gardiner St and over the Liffey via Memorial Bridge. The traffic was mental. Mental.

But my God, that damn wind. A poxy southerly wind, stiff and unwelcome. As I was heading mainly south I couldn't get away from it.

Fup you, Mr. Wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭alentejo

Just decided to do a small spin this evening up Kilmashogue Lane lane. First time doing this and took my commute bike. By christ, needed the granny ring on my tripple. Just glad to get up and come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

did a lovely Solstice 50k cycle this morning at 5am limerick city to lough gur
    for some tasty scones and then back.

completely hanging now though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

backstard wind on the way home last nite, 28.9kms in 80 odd mins, legs are still feeling it this morning. lovely evening though, did i mention the wind?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

agree wholeheartedly on the wind. ended up with cramping in a calf muscle, first time that's happened in a long time.
    they've resurfaced more of the old N2 with a shoddy finish. it seems meath coco don't seem to like the idea of steamrollers any more.

The amount of punctures I've gotten in the last month :( new rear wheel and 2 new rear tires and still I seem to puncture every few hundred kms

Oymyakon wrote: »
    The amount of punctures I've gotten in the last month :( new rear wheel and 2 new rear tires and still I seem to puncture every few hundred kms
    That would not be normal.

What tyres?
    What pressure are you running at?
    Is the rim tape intact?
    Are spokes intact with no protrusions?
    Have you thoroughly inspected the tyres for trapped debris/glass etc.?

+ on rim tape... this time last year I got about 8 or more... checked everything and came to the conclusion that it had to be rim tape.. LBS scoffed at the notion .. changed rim tape and .... refuse to say the obvious... tempting fate and all that !

That would not be normal.

What tyres?
    What pressure are you running at?
    Is the rim tape intact?
    Are spokes intact with no protrusions?
    Have you thoroughly inspected the tyres for trapped debris/glass etc.?

I got a set of Continental ultra sport tyres a couple of weeks ago to replace my well worn stock tyres, but after just a week I noticed tears along the seam (?), got a schwalbe thrown on to replace it mid-sportive.

Pressure is usually 100-110 psi.

Got a new rear wheel last week as my old stock wheel was broken, LBS fitted everything onto the new wheel, including bar tape but it doesn't look as smooth as the old wheel, there are some spokes visible and there are clumps of tape in places.

And I have checked numerous times for stuff inside the wheel or on the tyre that could cause extra punctures.

So it could be the rim tape that's most likely the issue?

Oymyakon wrote: »
    ... including bar tape but it doesn't look as smooth as the old wheel, there are some spokes visible and there are clumps of tape in places....

So it could be the rim tape that's most likely the issue?
    Therein lies your problem.

When the tube is inflated fully, the pressure against the wheel/rim tape is huge. Any discrepancy will compromise the tube. There should not be any exposed spoke heads. I'd go back to the shop and ask them to redo the rim tape - explain that you're having constant punctures.

• Advertisement

Therein lies your problem.

When the tube is inflated fully, the pressure against the wheel/rim tape is huge. Any discrepancy will compromise the tube. There should not be any exposed spoke heads. I'd go back to the shop and ask them to redo the rim tape - explain that you're having constant punctures.

I'll do that so, thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Didn't realise the Ireland match was on last night and thought the traffic was a little light on the N11!

After a pretty shoddy fortnight of work, family and life in general, I've managed to get out for two spins this week so far, Monday and again last night... Anyway, starting to improve my average speed, albeit over a short distance: 26kph for a 23km spin which included Bray Head.

https://www.strava.com/activities/617602506

A cracking morning this morning, the PP was a pleasure to spin through, with the visit of yere man Biden there is no parking on Chesterfield Avenue so zipped through the hard shoulder this morning, looking forward to doing it home this evening.
    28.9 kms in 68 mins 25.3kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Took a spin out to Swords via Portmarnock / Malahide with the intention of heading out towards Balbriggan but I was a bit tired so made a left and did a loop of the airport and then back home. Distance of 45km with an average speed of 32.7 km/hr in 1hr 22mins.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

In France at the moment with the bike. Plan flat and not much happening so,just cycling around.

Got caught in a major thunder storm yesterday. Biblical rain and 30-40 mims of sustained lightening strikes Spectacular to watch.

Beautiful evening driving home from work...looked forward to getting out for a spin. Left Kilnamanagh and by the time I got to jobstown Inn it bucketed down. Sky was black.. was only just after 6:30 pm. Rain eased off just at blessington and stopped for return journey to Kilnamanagh. 40km Avg 26.2kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Got new wheels today, Ultegra WH6800, absolutely had to go out and test them. Nothing over the top but a nice little upgrade from the RS11 that came with the bike.
    I'm not easily impressed but I was impressed. I took them around the block on a circuit that has plenty of small humps and hollows and a rough surface in places. They absorbed a huge amount of road buzz.
    I noticed a big difference switching from cheap 23mm tyres to 25mm Contis a while back, well this was even more noticeable. Can't wait to get out for a proper spin this weekend and see how they perform on a decent climb.
    I really like the look of them too.
    Happy

moses and his ark passed me last night just past leixlip confey gaa pitch, I dont think there was one area of me that wasnt soaked.
    95 mins to get home for the same distance it takes about 70-75 mins to get in each morning. still it beats being stuck on a wedged smelly train!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

Bloggsie wrote: »
    moses and his ark passed me last night just past leixlip confey gaa pitch, I dont think there was one area of me that wasnt soaked.
    95 mins to get home for the same distance it takes about 70-75 mins to get in each morning. still it beats being stuck on a wedged smelly train!

same here, used the royal canal way commute route, was watching clouds from Ashtown then got the downpour from Confey to Louisa bridge a few minutes complete drenching but better than traffic or train and it was warm rain:)

• Advertisement

i didnt think it was warm, the temp in the PP was perfect all the way as far as the castleknock CC, I stopped at the turn just before rugged lane and put on my waterproof top, by the time i turned at marymount care home it was pishing down, felt the temp drop 4 maybe 5 degrees

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement