Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

How puncture proof are these against gatorskins?

There was a recent thread on GatorSkins vs GP4000s:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99424081

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

MrSkinny wrote: »
    There was a recent thread on GatorSkins vs GP4000s:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99424081
    gatorskins are more puncture resistant due to kevlar compound in the tyre, but they are by all accounts very poor in the wet. I went with GP's a few weeks ago, very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Colected my new bike from the shop last friday but couldnt get out on it over the weekend so a 41km spin tonight. Bike felt great apart from a few little niggles but after 3 days off the bike, the legs felt a litle stiff. Need to give it a bash on a few hills and see if it makes me any better :D

on my commute this morning and in fairness my last one home, I noticed that when I get out of the saddle to climb or to put down a bit of power (dont laugh)there was a knocking noise, I hope to god its nothing serious, my knees/ankles/hips are bad enough as it is!

beautiful morning for a spin, the pp was stunning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Going on holidays in a couple of weeks only to find the kids passport out of date. Panic stations last night getting all the bits together. Booked the day off and in at the passport office at 8 this morning. Done by 9:30. Had a chance of a quick spin and took. Heading back to work now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

First time to cycle home from work, had notions of going out onto n11 to Ashford, Rathnew and back via Newcastle but realised on GOTD that I was starting to burn up, so decided to just go to Kilpeddar and pull off there to take some new roads home. Hit a huge pothole. Bike's okay, wrist not so much. Didn't come off though!

www.strava.com/activities/593957114

Eponymous wrote: »
    First time to cycle home from work, had notions of going out onto n11 to Ashford, Rathnew and back via Newcastle but realised on GOTD that I was starting to burn up, so decided to just go to Kilpeddar and pull off there to take some new roads home. Hit a huge pothole. Bike's okay, wrist not so much. Didn't come off though!

www.strava.com/activities/593957114
    if the potholes in wicklow are anything like the ones in kildare, chances are there is a family of badgers living in the one you hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

I have only been back in Ireland just under a year. Having cycled fairly regularly in Brisbane, Australia, I wanted to find a route here that worked out for me.

I'm trying to attempt a minimum of 10kms on my cycles, here was my one today: https://www.strava.com/activities/593917656

13.1KM ride around Stillorgan, Goatstown and Sandyford.

The cycle paths in this country are shocking - full of grit and glass! No wonder I see so many cyclists on the road!

Smiley012 wrote: »
    I have only been back in Ireland just under a year. Having cycled fairly regularly in Brisbane, Australia, I wanted to find a route here that worked out for me.

I'm trying to attempt a minimum of 10kms on my cycles, here was my one today: https://www.strava.com/activities/593917656

The cycle paths in this country are shocking - full of grit and glass! No wonder I see so many cyclists on the road!
    welcome to the vent your anger forum!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

50km in beautiful sunshine today, went past a few places we had club races back in the day. Happy memories. Punctured just after the county club on the way back so after a short stop started my cooldown there

https://www.strava.com/activities/593802510

This one's for you Smiley
    DSC_0001_zpsetpcgdwq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

@Borderfox - great looking bike, great looking day!

Sh!tty bike paths!

Nutley Lane to UCD slip is particularly bad, I'll be in the bus lane in future! Same from Mt. Merrion Ave to the junction at Oatlands. Jaysus....

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

Usual 50k Howth spin. Took the Killester & Watermill Rd route after Fairview as the Coast Rd is in utter ****e. Road surface there is really nice. Went out after lunch and had to ration my fluids due to the heat as I'd only took one bottle. Slight headwind on the way out but had a lovely spin on the way back. Need to apply some Aloe Vera as the sun burn is kicking in. Had a bunch of foreign students cheering me up on Balscadden Rd (which was nice). Rest day tomorrow, maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

My best day's cycling since my early retirement this time last year - up to Feather Beds from Stepaside - across the Sally Gap - Enniskerry and back to Stillorgan - 70k in total on what must have been the best day of the year so far.

All retirement days should be like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Great morning for a spin. 43km or so, Skerries, Lusk, Ballyboughal, Naul, Balbriggan, Rush.
    Saw a few people out, mostly ladies, on the climb to Naul.
    Can't post my strava link as I can't upload it at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Borderfox wrote: »
    50km in beautiful sunshine today, went past a few places we had club races back in the day. Happy memories. Punctured just after the county club on the way back so after a short stop started my cooldown there

https://www.strava.com/activities/593802510

This one's for you Smiley

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that photo. Classic Irish cycling infrastructure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

You might be better heading towards the hills - some lovely routes up towards Enniskerry or Bray, away from most of the traffic.

Also, you might like to check out privacy settings on Strava, to 'hide' your home location. It's not a great idea to advertise where you keep your nice bike.
    godtabh wrote: »
    Going on holidays in a couple of weeks only to find the kids passport out of date. Panic stations last night getting all the bits together. Booked the day off and in at the passport office at 8 this morning. Done by 9:30. Had a chance of a quick spin and took. Heading back to work now.

Great service - it happened to me some years back, and we had to wait till 6pm in the evening to get the passports.

My best day's cycling since my early retirement this time last year - up to Feather Beds from Stepaside - across the Sally Gap - Enniskerry and back to Stillorgan - 70k in total on what must have been the best day of the year so far.

im so bloody jealous!

I can anticipate what cars, buses etc are going to do(most of the time) but some of the people on DB's are total numpties, yesterday pulling up to the lights on the north quays just @ the clarence hotel, this charlie bombs up the loading bay on my inside, just about gets in front of me before it ended nearly taking the 2 of us out, to stop behind a few other cyclists about 15-20 feet ahead, mounts the footpath to get to the front of the queue only to be overtaken again by everyone when we take off.

when I caught him at the next lights I may as well have asked him a question on nuclear physics, I felt like screaming at him but i didnt, I asked him to be more considerate of other cyclists, to be told "whats your effin problem, pissoff! and away he goes!

IMHO this type of numpty is the main reason why cyclists have a rep for doing daft things in the eyes of motorists!

Don't understand the behaviour of some DB users (but not all, I'm a subscriber too!) at all... It's like being on a DB somehow is a licence to use footpaths, cycle against traffic on one way streets, break lights and just be an inconsiderate AH in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

45 km morning spin. Skerries, Balrothery, Naul, Ballyboughal,Swords, Lusk, home. Bit windy in places but it was dry and warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Met a mate in town last night and went for a cycle , normally cycle solo, did 50km or so with him. It was an awkward 50k as he was keen to cycle side by side and chat but I was aware we were probably annoying motorists. I pulled in every so often if I noticed a car or bus right on my tail. No motorists beeped or were overly aggressive , is this type of cycling permitted or is it frowned upon?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Met a mate in town last night and went for a cycle , normally cycle solo, did 50km or so with him. It was an awkward 50k as he was keen to cycle side by side and chat but I was aware we were probably annoying motorists. I pulled in every so often if I noticed a car or bus right on my tail. No motorists beeped or were overly aggressive , is this type of cycling permitted or is it frowned upon?

Depends on the road, usually 2 abreast is good practice on narrow roads with the occasional single file to let cars through.

Don't understand the behaviour of some DB users (but not all, I'm a subscriber too!) at all... It's like being on a DB somehow is a licence to use footpaths, cycle against traffic on one way streets, break lights and just be an inconsiderate AH in general.
    before anyone jumps on me about being anti DB's as I have posted a few times re the behaviour of people on DB's because I have seen or be party to stupid behaviour of some people on them & almost came a cropper due to their actions, the majority using them are fine, they have some road knowledge and bike skill but some think "I used to ride a bike when I was young, it'll be grand" and away they go, blissfully ignorant of any kind of saftey plan for themselves and others they encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Bloggsie wrote: »
    I can anticipate what cars, buses etc are going to do(most of the time) but some of the people on DB's are total numpties, yesterday pulling up to the lights on the north quays just @ the clarence hotel, this charlie bombs up the loading bay on my inside, just about gets in front of me before it ended nearly taking the 2 of us out, to stop behind a few other cyclists about 15-20 feet ahead, mounts the footpath to get to the front of the queue only to be overtaken again by everyone when we take off.

when I caught him at the next lights I may as well have asked him a question on nuclear physics, I felt like screaming at him but i didnt, I asked him to be more considerate of other cyclists, to be told "whats your effin problem, pissoff! and away he goes!

IMHO this type of numpty is the main reason why cyclists have a rep for doing daft things in the eyes of motorists!
    Bloggsie wrote: »
    before anyone jumps on me about being anti DB's as I have posted a few times re the behaviour of people on DB's because I have seen or be party to stupid behaviour of some people on them & almost came a cropper due to their actions, the majority using them are fine, they have some road knowledge and bike skill but some think "I used to ride a bike when I was young, it'll be grand" and away they go, blissfully ignorant of any kind of saftey plan for themselves and others they encounter.

It's not just DB cyclists, most hassle I had this morning cycling in from Dalkey was from other cyclists.

One guy hogging the middle cycle path in Blackrock, going slowly but in middle so couldn't overtake, he only had eyes for cars behind as he was looking to cross three lanes to get to the turn for the village. Problem was I had no idea what he was planning to do.

Then two charmers who just kept coming from side streets onto the cycle lane without looking, if a car had done that to them they'd have been shouting at them.

Last week had a cyclist on the footpath who decided to merge with the road right in front of me without looking behind her at all.

Bit more consideration from everyone would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Do as I did and join a cycling club with a good leisure section that does mid-week spins. Can't guarantee the sunshine I'm afraid but a bit of occasional rain makes the good days even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Went out at 7 this evening to do 60km ended up back home at 1015 with 77k done and totally bollixed, didnt have enough food or water and legs felt like lead for the last 12km. Think my plan to do a 100km tomorrow night could be out the window but i,ll have to get as much in as possible as its the last time for a few days i,ll be able to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Did 47k in the Blooms this evening. Lovely out there in this weather

https://www.strava.com/activities/595489556

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out to blessington this evening; back around by lakes to Manor Kilbride, back on main Road to Kilnamanagh, quick loop around ring road to get it up to just under 50km..Avg 26kmph. Lovely evening for a spin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

secman wrote: »
    Headed out to blessington this evening; back around by lakes to Manor Kilbride, back on main Road to Kilnamanagh, quick loop around ring road to get it up to just under 50km..Avg 26kmph. Lovely evening for a spin.

Origonally from Kilnamanagh myself, great spot for getting up into the hills quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement