Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

62km getting lost looking for bray!! Ended up on Vico hill, must be at least 20 years since I was out that way and they have changed everything!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/603807574

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

28.9 km home yesterday in 78mins.
    saw a gorgeous black cube(dont know model) rocking a pair of zonda's at the lights at the cross roads outside the farmleigh exit to the PP.

nice bike sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

62km yesterday morning, Donabate to Howth Summit and back.

Was a bit overcast and the fog up Howth Summit made things interesting, but a nice cycle nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

first century of the year dodging the rain today. flatish route home-swords-ratoath-skreen-garristown-malahide-home. feckin garmin wasnt charged and packed up about 40km in. came across 2 sportives or charity cycles along the way. 1 near skreen all decked out in the same green and red jerseys with full entourage then another down near swords and malahide spread out over a few km. Next challenge 160km next sunday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ImThatGuy

Just in from a 77km cycle to Glendalough pretty happy coming in under the 3 hour mark, I think that was probably due to the downhill bit by the Sugar Loaf where I was convinced my pads were going to disintegrate. https://www.strava.com/activities/605734194

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

Trying to build up to my first 100km cycle that i plan on attempting next weekend - feeling ok about it after today - did 69km (was nice and dry weather at the start but very wet by the end). felt fine the entire time, reckon i could have hit the 100km if i kept going.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/605846208
    It was lunchtime traffic going through Bray on the way back so my average speed dropped to under 25km.
    I joined my first Strava challenges at the start of the month to try and get me out on the bike more - today got me to over the 50% mark on the June Climbing Challenge. After a couple of weeks of cycling the hilly routes I am finding them a lot easier to deal with already so happy with that progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭secman

Killenagh to Gorey.. Arklow.. Ballymoney..courtown. ballygarret kilmuckridge home. 73km 25kmph lovely sunny day for a spin. Headed to Cahore for a swim in the evening... lovely day all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

115km Sean Kelly Classic today for me, hopefully goes better than my last Sportive where i wrecked the bike and me with it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

140 Cork to Ennis. Did the first 25 slow enough and had paused gps for the next 10 by accident but did the next 100 at about 31kmph.

Same distance today to Galway and Roscommon, I expect a slower pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

neris wrote: »
    first century of the year dodging the rain today. flatish route home-swords-ratoath-skreen-garristown-malahide-home. feckin garmin wasnt charged and packed up about 40km in. came across 2 sportives or charity cycles along the way. 1 near skreen all decked out in the same green and red jerseys with full entourage then another down near swords and malahide spread out over a few km. Next challenge 160km next sunday :(

Wahayy that was us !!
    See next post....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

185 km from Dunleer in Louth to Kilkenny .
    Yesterday morning 130 people set off in support of www.D2Kcycle.com for motor neurone disease. 5 groups, first group leaving from 7am and then every hour to arrive at 5 pm, group one avg 20kmph, 2@24, 3 mine at 26, 4@ 28 and the "hares" chasing us at 33kmph.
    Fabulous day and some of the mad yokes are cycling home today...as I write this on the bus :)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/606215716

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Well i did the Sean Kelly Classic run by Slievenamon Cycling Club, a great day and run off excellent. Well organised with a good spread after it.

116km at 35.3 km/h, a savage spin altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the Ox mountains sportive today.
    It's my local sportive, passed by my homeplace so I tore off up the front so I'd look like I was "winning the race" for my kids as we went by :)
    I felt good and stuck to the front of the group for most of the first 60 km, not quite intentionally but no-one else really offered so I just ploughed on until a few lads took over shortly before the tea stop. 64.7km in 1:52- we were motoring!!!
    I did the second half solo but the earlier efforts took their toll on the way out by Lough Easky and I was well shot by the time I climbed the Ladies Brea. The last ten or twelve km were along a rolling road into a headwind so I was well b0lloxed by the time I finished.
    139km @30.8kmh with 821m climbed but it felt like an awful lot more, 5th man home. I forgot to restart the garmin for the last 3km back home so it would have been over 140 and my biggest spin to date.

https://www.strava.com/activities/607056383/overview

BTW, the route was great. Loads of rolling twisting roads and bohreens, 3 decent climbs, well marshalled and nice pasta and loads of cake and sandwiches and strong tea. Weather held up, 2 showers but nothing major. I never bothered with wet gear at all and was dry by the finish.
    Overall, I really enjoyed it and I'm quite chuffed with myself for not withering completely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Did the second part of cycle. 150 km, Ennis to Galway. Did 137 km at 29.5 kmph but about 20 km were neutralised (thankfully) as we navigated Galway's terrifying city roads. Git my very first KoM too and loads of PBs. Last 13 was also neutralised so recorded separately.

More importantly it was all for a good cause for epilepsy Ireland. A rag tag bunch of 30 cyclists aged 13-71 did the entire route and made it great craic again.

Today's : Check out my 137.6 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/607254062

Yesterday's : Check out my 101.8 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/606112346

went out and did a short 40km up around north dublin ashbourne. was out a few weeks ago and took a trip down a small road I,d never been down before and what looked like a large house or hotel that seemed to either not have been finished off or abanadoned so took a trip down the same road again. Rubbish dumped in the front entrance of the drive way of what from google earth seems to be a relatively modern very large house & gardens thats been abandoned. The gates were electric and a pedestrian gate was wide open which was tempting but with the bike probably not a wise idea.

20160612_153712.jpg

20160612_153705.jpg

Google street view and earth link

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.5274393,-6.3664972,3a,75y,89.52h,82.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMTIZnH8AhoiKmwBe7AynSA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.5271362,-6.364575,191m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my parents in law live very near there. that house used to belong to a country singer - sandy kelly - and that rubbish has been there for weeks. the stupid thing is that so much of that is garden waste which could have been left in a ditch without the bags and no-one would have batted an eyelid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they've also had issues previously with people dumping in the next field (if you're coming from the garristown road direction, it's the field as the road swings 90 degrees to the right, after you pass the house), anything from 3 piece suites to tyres.

that said, the thing which annoys me most about cycling around NCD on a nice evening are the garden fires where people are obviously burning household waste.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Havent been out since the Evil last week. I think the crap roads loosened something up in the old noggin and have been suffering all week (previous jaw issues re occurring) and only managed get out today. Still didnt rain

my parents in law live very near there. that house used to belong to a country singer - sandy kelly - and that rubbish has been there for weeks. the stupid thing is that so much of that is garden waste which could have been left in a ditch without the bags and no-one would have batted an eyelid.

Was alot of domestic rubbish in with it aswell. You notice alot more **** by the side of the road and in ditches when your on the bike. Wonder has the house been taken by nama. The front of it looked nice in the google streetview from years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

250km solo spin incorporating the Ardattin 200. I had fantastic weather for the whole spin and I even missed the Wicklow 200 crowds. It was 20 years ago that I did the Wicklow 200 (I still have the control card!)

https://www.strava.com/activities/607615009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

After setting my alarm for 5.30am and heading to the bathroom in torrential rain to smother my nether regions in chamois cream, I really wondered the sanity of setting off towards Greystones in a torrential downpour.

My run up to the W200 had been erratic - lots of weekends where I wasn't on the bike for one reason or another. So was kind of dreading the pain that was in store.

But, had the bike rack on the car and gear packed from the previous night, so a bowl of porridge with trimmings and off I went. Got to the registration at the leisure center - bit of faffing about with people turning up without cards and holding up the rest of us. Maybe a suggestion would be to have a separate desk for these scenarios? anyway, got sorted and saddled up - the guys I was meant to be doing it with were 7 hr merchants, so I hadn't a hope of keeping up with them - got dropped within 500m of setting off. So settled down into a solo day in the rain.

Food stop at Baltinglass was a bit chaotic, with one poor unfortunate puking up his heart and soul in full view of those queueing for food. Usual long queues. Had my sandwich (no fruit cake?) and pressed on to 100km - Garmin was telling me I'd covered the first 100 km at 26kph, so not bad. Still a long way to go though, and Slieve Maan and Shay Elliot though really took it out of me this year - I limped up both. Animals have been put down suffering less.

At this point, I remembered my rear Schwalbe Lugano tyre was showing some wear when I was going through the bike the night before - took a spare foldaway tyre just in case. I stopped around Mecreddin to take off the leg warmers and over shoes, and had a quick inspection of the tyre. Was alarmed to see about a 2 inch strip of rubber had peeled off, exposing the underside. My thoughts were a blow out at any stage, so took it handy to the food stop in Rathdrum, where I changed out the tyre and a friendly Belgian mechanic had a decent foot pump.

fed and waterred, I got going and got in several groups on the way home, some too fast, but managed to limp into Greystones, 201.6km on the Garmin and 8:10 rolling time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

there's great reading of people's stories here. I scrolled long way back to my first post and delighted at the improvement in my own story. I tackled hills over the weekend I've avoided for a long time, and stayed up (at the back but someone has to make the front guys look good) with a group yesterday I'd have been blown out of just a few months ago. love checking back here every now and again. gives me push to keep going

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭zindicato

https://www.strava.com/activities/607520194/ mine from yesterday had mechanical on the first half did the beginning of the climbs and wicklow gap only on the 23 couldnt shift into the 25 cog crawled was an understatement, thank god saw a mechanic friend of mine near hollywood he fixed it roadside

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

that said, the thing which annoys me most about cycling around NCD on a nice evening are the garden fires where people are obviously burning household waste.
    neris wrote: »
    went out and did a short 40km up around north dublin ashbourne. was out a few weeks ago and took a trip down a small road I,d never been down before and what looked like a large house or hotel that seemed to either not have been finished off or abanadoned so took a trip down the same road again. Rubbish dumped in the front entrance of the drive way of what from google earth seems to be a relatively modern very large house & gardens thats been abandoned. The gates were electric and a pedestrian gate was wide open which was tempting but with the bike probably not a wise idea.
    Report these to Fingal - nothing will happen unless someone reports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Report these to Fingal - nothing will happen unless someone reports it.
    There is an app called 'see it say it' which allows you to snap a photo of the littering and submit, the app direct its to the relevant council and provides a detailed GPS location too.

what powers do the councils have in relation to people burning rubbish on their own property?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Climbed my first Alpine Col yesterday the Col du Grand Cucheron! Got my rental Trek Madone in the afternoon and tried it out in the evening. The house we are staying in is about 3kms up the Col so just went up and down. Weather was good starting off but started lashing rain soon after so got absolutely soaked and freezing on the way down. The weather here is pretty bad at the moment with no real sign of getting better.

https://www.strava.com/activities/608305726

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

christ my 29.4 & 29.3km commutes in & home yesterday seems like a warm up in comparison black and amber, 71 mins in and 81 mins home.

#notjealousmuch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

what powers do the councils have in relation to people burning rubbish on their own property?

They can impose fines and prosecute as far as I am aware. I know that up around Louth a few years ago they were using a helicopter every now and again to find people burning rubbish. It's usually in the middle of the countryside where folk think they can get away with anything....out of sight out of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

http://www.epa.ie/waste/householder/burn/
    In September 2009, a law concerning waste disposal by burning came into force. These regulations, the Waste Management (Prohibition of Waste Disposal by Burning) Regulations 2009 (SI No. 286 of 2009) make explicit the offence of disposal of waste by uncontrolled burning and prohibits such disposal within the curtilage of a dwelling.

Failure to comply with these regulations is an offence and fines of up to €3,000 may be imposed.

Paddy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement