Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭secman

terrydel wrote: »
    Origonally from Kilnamanagh myself, great spot for getting up into the hills quickly.

I'm only back on bike up here midweek for the last 3 weeks. Bike ( a 1992 columbus slx tubing Raparee with Dura ace groupset) is kept in wexford for weekend spins. Picking up a 2nd bike tomorrow to keep up here, cannondale caad9 ultegra groupset. To date I've gone around lake drive to Lacken and really enjoyed the spin,used to be an old haunt of mine in 90's . Have been thinking about sallygap and trying to remember which is easiest route up.. up by hellfire or manor Kilbride ? Yep Kilnamanagh is a handy spot to start from, up up hills or out to blessington, Hollywood and Wicklow gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Feckin cycle lanes...

Mostly my own stupidity, but I was passing out some other cyclists heading north past St Pats College in Drumcondra. One section is slightly separated from the bus lane, superficially or so I thought.

When I tried to get back into the cycle lane my front wheel caught the tiny kerb and down I came. Nothing broken, other than my pride. Plenty of road rash on both sides, I did a barrel roll.

Quick visit to VHI Swiftcare in Airside sorted out the grit and stuff. Thanks also to those who stopped, the UCD dude and the Dublin Fire Bridagde para medic at the airport.

Feeling sore today, and resting the bike of a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

I'd like to thank the taxi driver who alerted me to his presence this morning by mashing the horn from way back and then proceeded to pass me leaving about a 30cm gap on an otherwise empty 3 lane road.

Cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Oymyakon wrote: »
    I'd like to thank the taxi driver who alerted me to his presence this morning by mashing the horn from way back and then proceeded to pass me leaving about a 30cm gap on an otherwise empty 3 lane road.

Cheers mate
    and the award for the most Generous and Considerate "professional driver" goes to..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I am uncertain as to how but I covered the 29 kms this morning on the commute in 62 mins, 27.8 average. I fully expect a doping control later today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Last night I converted my cheapo Lidl bike computer into a cadence meter. I was late getting out so rode for 35 minutes out, then turned back. Felt good once I got into the rhythm, holding it around 90rpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I was 2/3 of the way through pretty much the same spin as yesterday when my back wheel hit either a hole or a stone (front one missed whatever it was). Initially I thought the tyre had punctured so I stopped and checked. All seemed good but about 200m down the road I heard the hiss.
    I stopped and changed the tube, made sure nothing was in the tyre and just as I refitted the wheel, a lot more hissing as the valve decided to fail.
    I looked at the original tube and found the pinch flat and patched it. After refitting it and using my last CO2 to inflate it, I heard yet more hissing as the tyre went down again.
    €20 euro for a taxi home and two used CO2 canisters and 2 punctured tubes.

Ah well, at least I got 30km done in the hour I was moving. Off to buy new tubes now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Fian

I was 2/3 of the way through pretty much the same spin as yesterday when my back wheel hit either a hole or a stone (front one missed whatever it was). Initially I thought the tyre had punctured so I stopped and checked. All seemed good but about 200m down the road I heard the hiss.
    I stopped and changed the tube, made sure nothing was in the tyre and just as I refitted the wheel, a lot more hissing as the cable decided to fail.
    I looked at the original tube and found the pinch flat and patched it. After refitting it and using my last CO2 to inflate it, I heard yet more hissing as the tyre went down again.
    €20 euro for a taxi home and two used CO2 canisters and 2 punctured tubes.

Ah well, at least I got 30km done in the hour I was moving. Off to buy new tubes now...

and perhaps new tyres? Sounds like there is something wrong with teh tyre if you got three punctures in succession lie that?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fian wrote: »
    and perhaps new tyres? Sounds like there is something wrong with teh tyre if you got three punctures in succession lie that?

Worth carefully checking the wheel too, there could be a spoke or even the rim of the wheel that is causing the punctures!

The tube I fitted had a valve problem, and the tube I patched and refitted blew the patch off!
    I took the tyre fully off and went all round the tyre and wheel checking for anything out of the ordinary. Tyre has less than 500Km on it and the wheel has max double that at most.
    I think I'll get a bigger bag and carry more spares with me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

The tube I fitted had a valve problem, and the tube I patched and refitted blew the patch off!
    I took the tyre fully off and went all round the tyre and wheel checking for anything out of the ordinary. Tyre has less than 500Km on it and the wheel has max double that at most.
    I think I'll get a bigger bag and carry more spares with me

Maybe add a mini-pump too - CO2 canisters sometimes just don't do the job ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A really enjoyable club spin this from Swords to Duleek and back via some great back roads. Perfect weather, great coffee and scones at Sage & Stone and NCD rarely looked so good. Arrived home in time to take delivery of my new bike so it doesn't get much better than that :):)

https://www.strava.com/activities/596068496

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

secman wrote: »
    I'm only back on bike up here midweek for the last 3 weeks. Bike ( a 1992 columbus slx tubing Raparee with Dura ace groupset) is kept in wexford for weekend spins. Picking up a 2nd bike tomorrow to keep up here, cannondale caad9 ultegra groupset. To date I've gone around lake drive to Lacken and really enjoyed the spin,used to be an old haunt of mine in 90's . Have been thinking about sallygap and trying to remember which is easiest route up.. up by hellfire or manor Kilbride ? Yep Kilnamanagh is a handy spot to start from, up up hills or out to blessington, Hollywood and Wicklow gap.

I find Manor Kilbride to Sally Gap much easier, especially if you go via the N81 and dont do Ballinascorney Hill.
    Via Hell Fire Club is a lot of climbing. I went up that way tonight, from my current place in Clondalkin. I stopped at the top of the hill just ast the lake view of Lough Bray, 5k from the Gap.
    42k round trip, over 700m of climbing, 90% of it in the first half!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Tapering ,
    One week left to our 190km spin to Kilkenny , "sure we'll take it handy tonight" says someone....45km later at a 30.4kmph average we arrive back to base...our normal is 26 �� !

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mario Speedwagon

Beautiful weather for a spin this morning, was a joy getting out of bed & on to the bike for a 56km loop from Rush, Ballyboughal, the Naul, Stanmullen, Balbriggan, Skerries & home.

I'm still a newbie, that is the furthest I've ever gone, so I'm fairly happy with the effort.

Lots of dickhead drivers on the road between Balbriggan & Skerries, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

50.2k at lunch time. 2 hours 5 minutes. 376m elevation. 24.1kph which is on the slow side for me. I'm a bit disappointed with it. Don't know why but my legs were feeling heavy from the start. I did manage 10 PR's and I don't know how. All were in the last 25k. MY legs were feeling a bit better after coming down from Howth summit.

Avoid North Wall Quay this weekend if possible. There is a festival on and people everywhere. The road has also been narrowed and the bike tracks are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭secman

Killenagh, courtown, Ballymoney , Castletown, Arklow, coolgreaney, up to Ballyfad, back across to hollyfort , Gorey, killenagh..home.81 km
    No idea of Avg km ..computer broke, had a fall on one of the climbs...chain slipped off chain ring and jammed.(wasn't changing gears) Hip in bits..usual burns and thankfully helmet took the wallop. That happened early on too. Dropped into LBS on way back through Gorey... chain rings fkcd ,teeth worn. hence the slipping when applying pressure ..... can't complain it's a 1992 dura ace. Mechanic thinks it will be very difficult to source a 52/42 8 speed chain ring...any ideas ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

140km with 1000m of climbing. Around the Shannon estuary. Absolutely fantastic day. I need a pint now.

https://www.strava.com/activities/598269598

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

100k with 1.6k climbing for me today that felt excruciating. Ballyboden, Sally gap, Wicklow gap, a couple of Coilte trails that weren't the ones I was looking for and back via Blessington, Balinsascorney. Wicklow gap was horrible, very hot no breeze, and wrecked by the time I got to the top, then random cramps in Valleymount and really interested in nothing more than getting home. Not my finest five hours in the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Boscoirl wrote: »
    140km with 1000m of climbing. Around the Shannon estuary. Absolutely fantastic day. I need a pint now.

https://www.strava.com/activities/598269598

Me too.. But mine is longer :p

Check out my 142.5 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/598276378

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

went for a quick spin in the countryside

https://www.strava.com/activities/598455824

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

godtabh wrote: »
    went for a quick spin in the countryside

https://www.strava.com/activities/598455824

Legend. Major congrats. Woke at about 7:30, remembered some crazy boardsies were going to spend the day climbing all the most obnoxious ramps in the area, though fark that for a game of soldiera and read my book instead. Was harsh enough on the normal hills today, that route must have been soul destroying today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

Just in the door from a 102km struggle from Knocklyon - SG - Laragh - Roundwood - Lough Tay - through the Gap again and down the same route I took from Knocklyon. Then continued onto Phoenix Park and back.

Chuffed with today but to put it bluntly, I'm b*lloxed. Even more amazed how the bike made it back in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Got a new cassette fitted; 25->28

Feels like a new bike; did a 60k odd hilly route today and found the hills a lot more enjoyable. Even on the flat I was able to spin a lot more and save the muscles.

750m climbing, 23k average.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Joined the local club earlier in the year and got 2 spins in with them a couple of months ago. Between one thing or another I haven't been out with them on a Sunday in about 9 or 10 weeks.

So today I turned up and I was expecting the 30km/hr or so average of the previous rides I did..........

But oh no, that didn't happen.

5 of us headed off and 83km later and 2hrs 23minutes I got back. 35km/hr average. I'm not used to anything like that for such an extended period. But even though I was hanging on at times there was no way in hell I was going to quit.
    No hiding place for the last 15km or so as the group was down to 2!!
    I also reckon we had 50+km into the wind.
    Just such tough going. I expect my HR should return to normal sometime towards the end of the week :)

Recovery ride beckons tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/599104793

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Coast Road Spin with the club today. Nowhere to hide, flat to the boards at times n struggled with some lumpy bits but all in all a great spin.

131km at 31.4avg with in around 800m elevation, the 8km to the meet up really was hard work on the return journey.

Also we picked up a lad wearing UCD gear along the way, nice guy and pretty decent on a bike I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Did the Kilbeggan Festival Cycle today. Beautiful day with the sun breaking out to improve my cyclist's tan :o

95km plus my cycle in and home.

144km, 401m, 33.1 km/h

https://www.strava.com/activities/599247518

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

First 100k+ ride today. 50 was my best prior to this. Had an 80k route worked out, then between Rathdrum and Glenealy the adrenaline must have kicked in and we decided to divert to Brittas Bay.

Speed nothing like any of you but ton up!

http://www.strava.com/activities/599193399

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

club sunday spin - after 4 years I've finally made it and can keep to the main bunch (apart from where they go on mad sprinting sprees !!) 27.9 avg over 100km. what more - the spin was 80k but I voluntary did 24k extra to be sure I got to the 100k mark. gotta love this cycling lark - especially on weeks like we've been having.

• Advertisement

Just back from tour of Louth. 105km in about 3 1/2 hours, which was good for me I thought. Can't upload until tomorrow as not at home yet. Chatted briefly to a couple of boardsies along the way. Would have liked a bit less wind, but was an enjoyable spin and well marshalled with good food at the end. And a medal :)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1200932661

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement