Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

I taught eircom delayed most exchange upgrades last summer?? so i should be able to get 7mb speeds no problem? I'm on a 3mb tarrif at the moment but only can avail of 2mb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

jessconr wrote: »
    I taught eircom delayed most exchange upgrades last summer?? so i should be able to get 7mb speeds no problem? I'm on a 3mb tarrif at the moment but only can avail of 2mb
    It might be all your line can handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Dorce9

I'm a student about to move in to a house on Upper Leeson St.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what broadband I should get and who I should call about it?

There will be 8 of us in the house, two of us are pretty heavy internet user...

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Dorce9 wrote: »

Does anyone have any recommendations for what broadband I should get and who I should call about it?

Thanks
    Magnet all the way, you may be able to get FTTH.

http://www.magnetentertainment.ie/products/ftth.htm

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Magnet all the way, you may be able to get FTTH.

http://www.magnetentertainment.ie/products/ftth.htm

Thanks cpu-dude, i'll check that out now...

What is FTTH?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Thanks cpu-dude, i'll check that out now...

What is FTTH?
    Fibre To The Home - means Magnet will run fibre optic cabling to your house to provide your Broadband, you'll make people very jealous if you can get it because it's very limited.

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Fibre To The Home - means Magnet will run fibre optic cabling to your house to provide your Broadband, you'll make people very jealous if you can get it because it's very limited.

How expensive is it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Thanks

hey Dorce9, just wondering if you got sorted with your bb or know whats available in the area... i've also moved into a place on upper lesson st and am trying to find out whats available in the area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A mate has asked me to check a location, its Ballykenna, Tullougher, Co. Kilkenny.

Any WISP's in the area? Options?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    A mate has asked me to check a location, its Ballykenna, Tullougher, Co. Kilkenny.

Any WISP's in the area? Options?

Kilkenny, I'd say try Reach, Premier, Aptus ? Not sure who else might cover the area.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Marlow wrote: »
    Kilkenny, I'd say try Reach, Premier, Aptus ? Not sure who else might cover the area.

/M

None of their coverage maps cover the area

Edit, found Permanet, they cover the general area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

There is also Premier Community Broadband Services whom service large parts of Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Hi Peeps, Current on 1Mbps and getting 790kbps download, would like to improve this speed as the kids are playing online games and slowing everything else down... Is there any better option living in East Limerick of the Inch St Lawrence exchange..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Have a question. How do you find out what exchange you are on?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

bush wrote: »
    Have a question. How do you find out what exchange you are on?

Its not too difficult, just use your phone number and pop it into a line checker. If you don’t have a phone number just use a pub/restaurant nearby (although this is not 100% accurate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Airwire: Martin

Airwire has provisioned a new basestation for fixed wireless broadband in Clonbur, Co. Galway

Covered are areas in Clonbur that can see Lough Corrib, the Glan area, Oughterard, etc.

Our coverage map can be found here: http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/coverage

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭somedood

I've been told that I can't get broadband from UPC in cabra even though it states on the website that the service is provided there. Is it that they only cover certain parts of Cabra?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frlinux

somedood wrote: »
    I've been told that I can't get broadband from UPC in cabra even though it states on the website that the service is provided there. Is it that they only cover certain parts of Cabra?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62690504&postcount=8

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Calverstown is officially to come on line BEFORE end of 2009,I am unable to find out from Eircom whether this is on schedule or not, its very important to me that this happens but Eircom stays 'mum' on the subject

Has anyone out there any 'insider' info?

You could get info on how to make an atomic bomb a hell of a lot easier than get information from Eircom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Make21

Users in the north - the site www.broadbandfinderni.com allows searching by post code area. Handy to be able to do this.

Now if only we could get a postcode type arrangement going on in the south life would be a bit easier when searching for located realted services!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

What is the fastest available and from whom ? I would even consider Business options ?

ROS123 wrote: »
    What is the fastest available and from whom ? I would even consider Business options ?

Apparently eircom is there, which is not something I'd recommend. Other than that, i don't know.

Ireland clearly lacks of a site which lists broadband availability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Some questions..

St.Margarets (Dublin)-New house not connected to phone line so i suppose i'll be getting wireles rather than paying for line connection:confused:

Can anyone recommend a wireless broadband provider that has a decent speed and not too expensive?

forkassed wrote: »
    Some questions..

St.Margarets (Dublin)-New house not connected to phone line so i suppose i'll be getting wireles rather than paying for line connection:confused:

Can anyone recommend a wireless broadband provider that has a decent speed and not too expensive?

Imagine is supposedly going to be available in that area. I am not sure what to think of them as the product is new and not yet there: http://www.imagine.ie/wimax-splash/index.html

Otherwise, irish broadband depending on the contention you are ready to live with: http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products.php

Cheers

Ive just emailed digiweb & irishbroadband to see what they have to offer.

Will also have a look in to this

http://www.three.ie/broadband/3pay.htm

unless anyone has any bad feedback

forkassed wrote: »
    http://www.three.ie/broadband/3pay.htm

unless anyone has any bad feedback

Well I do. Tried three for a few days and their speed was about twice 56k... like 8/10kb which is not nice.

Also like most 3G solutions, you are capped to 10GB which is not a lot (and is added upload+download which in case of peer to peer would make a lot).

frlinux wrote: »
    Well I do. Tried three for a few days and their speed was about twice 56k... like 8/10kb which is not nice.

Also like most 3G solutions, you are capped to 10GB which is not a lot (and is added upload+download which in case of peer to peer would make a lot).

fair play,

thats that off the cards then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

frlinux wrote: »

Agreed! My sister tried this for a week or two and had to cancel the service due to the frequent, unpredictable connection drops (which often confused or hung the connection management program supplied by three, requiring it to be killed and restarted each time), badly fluctuating speeds (often down to lower than 56k) and generally poor operation. I think she tried Meteor as well and gave up quickly.

At least most of the operators seem to have upgraded their T&Cs on excess usage though: Three charge 5c per MB (for their 15gb plan - they claim a shocking 49c per MB for handset plans, that's about €500 per GB) and O2 and Meteor charge 2c per MB once you go over the limit; until recently Meteor charged 2c per KB (and confirmed on the phone even when I explained clearly the ridiculous costs this could incur) which equates to over €20 per MB, which is insane given that you can transfer a megabyte in a couple of seconds on a decent 3g connection, combining upload and download).

In any case, for broadband at home, the 3g offerings currently available are all very much inferior to DSL, cable and fixed wireless schemes (even the omnidirectional wireless packages from Imagine etc are better, provided they serve your area).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Looking for bb in maynooth, Kingsbury without phone line if possible.

Have Digiweb but caps are too low for the price and can't stay within them.

Tried UPC but told can't get them which I'm not sure is right, hopefully an idiotic sales person as there is already an NTL line in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

hey guys, Im on 3mb eircom, just lookin for fastest broadband in enniscorthy town, co.wexford, anyoen know what it is at the mo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement