Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 maxy jazz

I gave up on eircom in the end. our area got BB, exchange was updated. however my phone line was one of those that was "split", they would do nothing to solve it. So I closed my eircom line. Not paying those knobs for a basic service. I even contacted my local TD - great help he was.
    Eircom nothing but bunch of pr**ks, the lot of them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Roundwood done about time been waiting years

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I am awaiting Eircom in Calverstown Co Kildare,its on the list fotr this year,how do you get notice that its actually happening or do you wake up one morning and its there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 silly17

If you goto www.broadbandatoz.ie and choose contact page you can send eircom a message requesting information on when your exchange will be enabled. Then it is just a matter of checking website for your area in the timeframe they advise you it will be enabled and it will show up on the latest news section. Hope this helps

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Rathmines exchange has now been unbundled for up to 24Mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

i live off the south circular road in dublin, i have no landline and am loathe to get one, ive tried three/ vodafone/ o2/ meteor mobile options in my laptop, and none of them can get a download rate faster than dial up, which is disappointing considering I live practically in the haert of the capital, is digiweb or clearwire available in these areas does anyone know? cheers

heybaby wrote: »
    i live off the south circular road in dublin, i have no landline and am loathe to get one, ive tried three/ vodafone/ o2/ meteor mobile options in my laptop, and none of them can get a download rate faster than dial up, which is disappointing considering I live practically in the haert of the capital, is digiweb or clearwire available in these areas does anyone know? cheers

Magnet is available there, you do need to apply for a landline but the speed would be considerably higher (on average) than a wireless service.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Can anyone tell me how to get more then 3-kps in Drumsna Leitrim??

Anything, satelite, ADSL, cable, freakin' carrier pigeons or smoke signals.

02's dongle was a joke because of their self-admittedly poor reception in the area (they didnt even charge for it) so I dont know if vodafone or Meteor will be any better.

Basically I'm thinking either Sky (will that be a satelite solution when its released here?) or hoping that Drumsna exchange will be unbundled.
    (Eircom's webpage says before end of 2009 but is that accurate usually?)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sky won't be coming here. They only do DSL /DSL LLU. Too costly here.

eircom usually enable exchanges they say they will eventually. Unbundling is not the issue. Only makes a difference to high end packages, which only work close to Exchange.

Meteor is only EDGE there.

Satellite is available (talk to regi's mates) but costly for a decent cap. Can be fast, though 790ms latency.

Vodafone might be better, their coverage maps unlike a certain megathread company are accurate, so check their web site. Apart from cost and latency, Satellite is far better than Mobile, which is often a cordless dialup.

Sky are not likely to ever do Satellite Internet. They are only likely to come here if they buy eircom, or buy Digiweb+Magnet+Smart (if DSL/LLU/linerental prices halved).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

DeVore wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to get more then 3-kps in Drumsna Leitrim??

Anything, satelite, ADSL, cable, freakin' carrier pigeons or smoke signals.

02's dongle was a joke because of their self-admittedly poor reception in the area (they didnt even charge for it) so I dont know if vodafone or Meteor will be any better.

Basically I'm thinking either Sky (will that be a satelite solution when its released here?) or hoping that Drumsna exchange will be unbundled.
    (Eircom's webpage says before end of 2009 but is that accurate usually?)

DeV.

Drumsna won't be unbundled. It's too small.

Q2 2009 is the time frame for it to be upgraded and lately they're not too far off schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just windering if anyone knows of any service providers around the rathmore/gneeveguilla area in kerry, i see rathmore is due to be finished this year by eircom but are there any others??

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

tok9 wrote: »
    Just windering if anyone knows of any service providers around the rathmore/gneeveguilla area in kerry, i see rathmore is due to be finished this year by eircom but are there any others??

thanks

Try http://amocom.com/maps/map1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

thanks rash... i actually went away and signed up to these lads... waiting on them to see if it'll work here... unfortunately looking at that map i'm just outside so i'm not too optimistic but sure i'll see what they say..

apparently eircom is finishing the rathmore area in 2 weeks!

Does anyone have amocom?? if so i'm just wondering is it wireless??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 listamlet

Moving house at the moment from a small road in Rathfarnham/Terenure to Nutley Lane in D4. Can literally see Vincent's Hospital/5 minute walk from UCD and the HEAnet network...

Just been told that, although UPC tv is available, the 20meg package I have isn't. I hope it's an error in the map/info in the UPC database- but a nice guy on the phone just offered to check and call me back. I really can't believe that the area isn't supported.

Anyone know? And if not, what are my broadband options *sniff*?

Magnet are available for up to 24Mb in that area.

http://magnetentertainment.ie/products/llu/24.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

does anyone know of a provider in Screen Blackwater Wexford which reliable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TheDeficit

just signed up for 7.6mb
    i'm 2 miles from the exchange,
    what's the real speed i can expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

any decent providers in Longwood, County Meath yet????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Airwire: Martin

Airwire has brought two new basestations have been brought online in the last 2 weeks:

- one in the Greenfields area near Headford.
    - one around Cappagh/Clyborn covering huge chunks of Barna.

All Co. Galway.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

My friend lives on Blackrock's "Main" street in Dublin, having moved from Dundrum where she had decent TV and broadband from UPC. However, they've said that they don't do broadband here (then, a week later, called her up to ask where exactly she was, which is disturbing). After cancelling her service (paying an extra month's service for nothing), she tried Imagine/IBB "Ripwave", which they then cancelled without warning in her area, and is now using a 3g dongle from Three.
    Unfortunately the service from Three is incredibly patchy, going up and down like a yo-yo as well as having a laughable upload speed (during a good patch, I clocked 3mbit down and 58kbit up). Also, the device gets dangerously hot and the "3Connect" utility seems to crash and become brain dead frequently (the connection goes down and all useful options like "Connect" are greyed out, forcing the user to quit and restart the program before starting to reconnect).

Any ideas what else is out there/good, with the constraint that she can't get a big wireless antenna on the roof (apartment block) or a landline (line rental is too expensive just for broadband*)?

* Didn't we used to have the most expensive line rental in Europe (or the world)? Is that still the case...? Why?

• Advertisement

zynaps wrote: »
    My friend lives on Blackrock's "Main" street in Dublin, having moved from Dundrum where she had decent TV and broadband from UPC. However, they've said that they don't do broadband here (then, a week later, called her up to ask where exactly she was, which is disturbing). After cancelling her service (paying an extra month's service for nothing), she tried Imagine/IBB "Ripwave", which they then cancelled without warning in her area, and is now using a 3g dongle from Three.
    Unfortunately the service from Three is incredibly patchy, going up and down like a yo-yo as well as having a laughable upload speed (during a good patch, I clocked 3mbit down and 58kbit up). Also, the device gets dangerously hot and the "3Connect" utility seems to crash and become brain dead frequently (the connection goes down and all useful options like "Connect" are greyed out, forcing the user to quit and restart the program before starting to reconnect).

Any ideas what else is out there/good, with the constraint that she can't get a big wireless antenna on the roof (apartment block) or a landline (line rental is too expensive just for broadband*)?

* Didn't we used to have the most expensive line rental in Europe (or the world)? Is that still the case...? Why?

Unless I am mistaken I would imagine you are on the Priory park exchange. Magnet has unbundled this exchange (no one else has) so we can offer up to 24Mb services there making us the fastest providers in Blackrock. If you would like a call just PM me and I can talk you through.

All in the price is €55.47 for 10Mb (including line rental), its not wireless so you shouldnt suffer from the same difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Airwire: Martin

Airwire has enabled a new basestation in Oughterard, Co. Galway yesterday. The base covers most of the village and is located near the main street.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Looking for the best wireless BB possible in Stoney Batter. Stupid UPC dont have BB there so need something else which no doubt won't be as good...

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Looking for the best wireless BB possible in Stoney Batter. Stupid UPC dont have BB there so need something else which no doubt won't be as good...

Magnet offer services in this area, would you like more details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

anyone know of feckin anything decent by way of broadband/mobile broadband in Ogonnelloe, CO clare which is between scarriff and kilalloe, they can get broadband a mile down the road but i cant. what a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

FWI www.fwi.ie

Tel. Sales 1890 945 917

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Hey guys,

Anybody know the best BB isp to go with in Monkstown (Co. Dub)?
    I wanted to get UPC but they dont do it in my estate :mad:

I need a fast line (over 6 meg) uncapped and I dont have nor really need a home phone so not really up for paying a pointless line rental.
    Also not looking to break the bank every month..

Any ideas?

I bloody hate the way this country is so expensive for teh internets..

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ipitydafool

hey guys,

been away travelling for last while only just back to ireland so trying to source a good value broadband provider for mullingar. any good suggestions for who to go with?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

Does anyone know when the Mountmellick exchage will be upgraded? Also will UPC ever come here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

jessconr wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the Mountmellick exchage will be upgraded? Also will UPC ever come here?
    Mountmellick was upgraded years ago! You probably will never see UPC supplying broadband to Mountmellick as its all mmds and none of it is cabled apart from a few small areas, but these are all mmds cable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement