Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Rorser wrote: »
    It has to be said that this is not the case. Not all ISP's operate through Eircom for downgrades and not all ISP's charge for downgrades.

As for the Eircom charge; that would only apply to ISP's which are re-selling Eircom BB.

Good man.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 trevybaby

Rorser wrote: »
    Remember here, line checkers are only as good as the guy who updates them.

For the real answer you would have to ask Eircom where exactly the line is going, then ask them has this exchange has been launched. If i were you i would try and talk to someone in level two of the support.

Here's the most up to date info i have on Eircoms nationwide rollout. Just select your county in the drop down and look for your exchange.

http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/

Thanks Rorser

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Good man.:rolleyes:

Well thats the gods honest truth, not everyone slaps a charge on when customers downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

trevybaby wrote: »
    Originally Posted by trevybaby
    Can anyone shead a bit of light on this.

My line passes on the line checker but when I go to order broadband from eircom I get an error that my exchange is not setup?

I have checked a number of line checker now and it aways passes now. This wasn't the case 2 months ago.

I know I'm in the rollout for this year.

What's probably happened here is that eircom have set up the line test system for your local exchange, but that the DSL service itself is not yet completed. They are separate sets of equipment. What's your local exchange and I'll see if I can find out when it is due to be ready for DSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

been looking at empty pole along the road near me when i come home each day and eircom have been putting them up slowly but surly
    ever time i saw a new lenght it meant i was one step futher from dail up
    now theres no empty poles i can see and my countdown is gone leaving me with no idea when it will hit zero

i have gone in to and out of secondary and almost out of 4 years of college

does any one have any idea of when it'll happen
    and
    Do eircom negotiate with terrorists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Randi wrote: »
    Ballygar is due to be enabled in Quater1 of 2009

Has this been moved? Saw in another list it was down for Q4 2009 TBC.

Varik wrote: »
    been looking at empty pole along the road near me when i come home each day and eircom have been putting them up slowly but surly
    ever time i saw a new lenght it meant i was one step futher from dail up
    now theres no empty poles i can see and my countdown is gone leaving me with no idea when it will hit zero

i have gone in to and out of secondary and almost out of 4 years of college

does any one have any idea of when it'll happen
    and
    Do eircom negotiate with terrorists

Hi Varik,

I think I recall you mentioning that you are off the Roundwood exchange. If so, well spotted - I am told that the fibre work there is almost done and the exchange is due to be brought live for Broadband within a few weeks. Mid March at the latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 0zone0

http://www.broadbandatoz.ieYou can use this website to check broadband availability in your area, find enabled exchanges, see plans for your local exchange and test your line.ADSL BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭WonderAmy

Hey to all,

I am just wondering if anyone would know what kind of Broadband that I would be able to get around the Arklow area. Just that my mum has got a computer and we have a phone line but we just don't know what providers there are around Arklow and surrounding area's.
    It would be a good help if someone could help out,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I'm hugely confused.

Am moving house very soon. Rang eircom today re getting phone line installed and broadband etc.

He told me that where we're moving to will be on the Edmondstown, Co. Louth exchange but that there was no broadband out there. Yet, I've just been on the broadbandatoz.ie site, it says that Edmondstown IS enabled.

Don't want to bother getting a phoneline if there's no broadband, but they've just confused me now. Who am I to believe? A website or a CSR? The young man I was talking to sounded half asleep to be honest but sounded fairly sure there was no broadband at all in Edmondstown.

Any other options for broadband other than a phone line? Don't want a dish on the house as we'll already have the Sky dish.... Was looking at Clearwire but I'm told they're not great. Mobile phone reception where the house is is pretty patchy so I'm fairly sure a Vodafone, 02 or 3 modem won't really work out for me either.

• Advertisement

embee wrote: »
    I'm hugely confused.

Am moving house very soon. Rang eircom today re getting phone line installed and broadband etc.

He told me that where we're moving to will be on the Edmondstown, Co. Louth exchange but that there was no broadband out there. Yet, I've just been on the broadbandatoz.ie site, it says that Edmondstown IS enabled.

Don't want to bother getting a phoneline if there's no broadband, but they've just confused me now. Who am I to believe? A website or a CSR? The young man I was talking to sounded half asleep to be honest but sounded fairly sure there was no broadband at all in Edmondstown.

Any other options for broadband other than a phone line? Don't want a dish on the house as we'll already have the Sky dish.... Was looking at Clearwire but I'm told they're not great. Mobile phone reception where the house is is pretty patchy so I'm fairly sure a Vodafone, 02 or 3 modem won't really work out for me either.

This might not help, but it may be another way to find out......if your town is covered by the NBS (national broadband scheme) that would usually mean that there are no other providers in the area. If however you are not covered by NBS that would normally mean that there is some form of broadband scraping around.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Communications/Communications+Development/National+Broadband+Scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Lad is NTLs 20mb broadband anyway decent in galway? is 48 quid a month a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lestatz

Spoke to Eircom the other day and apparently abbeyknockmoy will go live at the end of feb!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Liscarroll Co Cork will have BB from their exchange on Wednesday Feb 25.

According to the support desk Ballygar, Co. Galway now has a date in Oct-Dec. This is in line with the strencom list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Guys any definate date on when Balliinagar Offaly exchange is due to be enabled? It was Q4 08 then was moved to 09, 1901 can't help was wondering if someone here had a more ballpark date? Internet just now say by end 09!!!

efb wrote: »
    Guys any definate date on when Balliinagar Offaly exchange is due to be enabled? It was Q4 08 then was moved to 09, 1901 can't help was wondering if someone here had a more ballpark date? Internet just now say by end 09!!!

It is listed for Feb 09 in the strencom list. There is no definite date though as they seem to change their mind at any stage. Just looking at the news items on the broadband a to z site. A lot of the exchanges they are announcing as complete in Feb were on the plan for 2008. And some were listed as later in 2009 but are now done early (a small number)

Zith wrote: »
    It is listed for Feb 09 in the strencom list. There is no definite date though as they seem to change their mind at any stage. Just looking at the news items on the broadband a to z site. A lot of the exchanges they are announcing as complete in Feb were on the plan for 2008. And some were listed as later in 2009 but are now done early (a small number)

Ballinagar is due in May

Abbeyknockmoy is due the end of March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Tks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tal1

hi
    I have no phone line and currently with lastmile in Kinnegad, quiet expensive, and my connection speed is 100.0mbps when i hover over connection icons, however i cant get a line speed test website that works to test the line.
    I was thinking of switching to Three as I am out of contract at this stage.
    Can anyone tell me how will 3 speed compare? and what site actually works to do the test? How is this speed in comparison to whats out there
    Any help at all appreciated.

• Advertisement

Tal1 wrote: »
    hi
    I have no phone line and currently with lastmile in Kinnegad, quiet expensive, and my connection speed is 100.0mbps when i hover over connection icons, however i cant get a line speed test website that works to test the line.
    I was thinking of switching to Three as I am out of contract at this stage.
    Can anyone tell me how will 3 speed compare? and what site actually works to do the test? How is this speed in comparison to whats out there
    Any help at all appreciated.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115306

I say perhaps you should look into this particular thread.

Tal1 wrote: »
    hi
    my connection speed is 100.0mbps when i hover over connection icons,

Thats not your internet connection speed. It's just the network connection speed on your pc.

Roundwood in wicklow is done

• Registered Users Posts: 4 silly17

Hi Varik. Have just checked a few phone numbers in Roundwood and it is saying line not suitable for broadband on eircom website. How long does it normally take for the lines to show up as suitable for broadband once the exchange has been enabled? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tal1

cheers for putting me in right direction!

Laurencetown, Co. Galway is live.

silly17 wrote: »
    Hi Varik. Have just checked a few phone numbers in Roundwood and it is saying line not suitable for broadband on eircom website. How long does it normally take for the lines to show up as suitable for broadband once the exchange has been enabled? thanks

was told by an engineeriner as i had to let him in to do some work on poles running over my land, said 2-3 hour yesterday till they be finished with the new cables for roundwood, i heard the eqquipment at the exchange was done a while ago so it's only down to eircom to set it up and enable.

thanks for that. I sent eircom an email yesterday asking when it would be enabled but still waiting on reply.

Just got reply from Eircom on broadband in Roundwood and they said the enablement of the Roundwood exchange is provisionally scheduled for the period February-March this year but is subject to change and to check their website www.broadbandAtoZ.ie for regular updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Airwire has provisioned new basestations for fixed wireless broadband in the following areas:

Dunmore, Co. Galway
    Creggs, Co. Galway
    Neale, Co. Mayo
    Claremorris, Co. Mayo (facing south and south-east)

Coverage should be 15km around each area. The Dunmore base will also partially cover Williamstown.

Our coverage map can be found here: http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/coverage

/Martin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement