Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Please can someone help me out on this topic; I am not sure if it's in the right place, but it appears people post here and I should get some sort of response on it.

Thanks in advance for any responses! They are greatly appreciated!

Your frustration is understood..... but you're not alone, as I'm sure you know. I have been trying for a while to get a REAL set of data on who has or has not got bb - via an attempt to resurrect Ireland Offline and other means but there is either a complacency or a sense that nothing can be done.

ComReg is supposed to regulate Eircom but doesn't, the Dept of Comm is supposed to set the policy but doesn't, it just says it is. The original decision to privatise eircom was a disaster - we are suffering from that, but we re-elected the same gov and even with supposed Green ministers nothing has changed....

Bye, Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cormac_Doyle

Broadband in Clonmellon, co Westmeath

Guys ... Eircom listed the Clonmellon Exchange (right on the Meath/Westmeath border ... technically it's WM, but Eircom call it Meath) in the 2007 broadband exchange target list ...

Were right between the Athboy/Devlin exchanges, both of which are already enabled ...

I was wondering if anyone knows when it will go live??

I've no phoneline at present, and to be honest, the only reason I'd get one is to get broadband ...

I'm right in the village (less than 1km from the exchange), and with a new, clean line, there hopefully shouldn't be a problem ... but I ain't gonna pay for a line until someone can confirm that the exchange has a DSLAM ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Airwire has provisioned the Cornamona basestation today. It's covering most of Cornamona and up towards the sawmill.

Our coverage map can be found here: http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/coverage

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I will continuously post till all of these exchanges are enabled :-D. When are dromcolligher and Ballydesmond being enabled

barnicles wrote: »
    I will continuously post till all of these exchanges are enabled :-D. When are dromcolligher and Ballydesmond being enabled

I don't think there is much point in annoying boards.ie users with continous posts, as there's fairly little interaction from Eircom on these forums.

People will post, what exchanges get enabled, when they become aware of it. For estimates on when, I'd recommend to call Eircom and spend your valuable (or not) time bugging their support :D

/Martin

• Advertisement

Martin, for one i don't like spending my time talking to a brick wall.:-D
    Are air wire expanding to cork

barnicles wrote: »
    Martin, for one i don't like spending my time talking to a brick wall.:-D
    Are air wire expanding to cork

Well .. you'll never know, but not in the next 6 months for sure. I can recommend East Cork Broadband if you are around Middleton.

/Martin

Me- i am in north cork

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Fuiru

Hi all,

I'm moving to Sallins in two weeks and was wondering if anyone can recommend the best broadband/TV package available? Or if anyone knows as to when UPC packages will be available in Sallins?

Thanks in advance.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Does anyone know any local providers of broadband in Either Wicklow or Wexford or both?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 country_guy

Hi everyone, just been reading various peoples messages here and as a Dublin guy recently moved outside Dublin, Broadband availability is a nightmare.....try Satellite Broadband...it's v.good and surprisingly affordable...I talked with loads as well as "Line of sight" and then found Satellite Broadband Ireland which are based in Mullingar....I was up and running within a week or so after ordering. delighted now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Hi everyone, just been reading various peoples messages here and as a Dublin guy recently moved outside Dublin, Broadband availability is a nightmare.....try Satellite Broadband...it's v.good and surprisingly affordable...I talked with loads as well as "Line of sight" and then found Satellite Broadband Ireland which are based in Mullingar....I was up and running within a week or so after ordering. delighted now...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Is it good because of the high pings which mean skype, online gaming and some VPN stuff for teleworking is made impossible?

Or good because the satellite speeds vary depending on how much it rains??

At least with the mobile internet providers, it's far cheaper and you can get equipment to boost the signal if needed.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Satellite and mobile both have highs and lows but if i was in a reasonably sizable urban centre and i couldn't get DSL id probs go for mobile broadband or wireless BB. Satellite would probably be at the bottom of my list but it is a necessary in places which are almost completely cut off and people really should be aware of it if all else fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭stepster

Fuiru wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm moving to Sallins in two weeks and was wondering if anyone can recommend the best broadband/TV package available? Or if anyone knows as to when UPC packages will be available in Sallins?

Thanks in advance.

I live close to Sallins and I'm with Digiweb Metro (wireless). I get 3Mb for €35 per month and ported my Eircom number over to Blueface. This means I cut Eircom out of the loop and get Broadband and all calls to Irish and UK land lines for €50 per month. I cannot speak for everyone using Digiweb but I always found them very good, with no outages for the guts of 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lads any news of when my exchange Ballinagar Offaly is due to be enabled? It was on that last imfamous list Eircom produced

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Moynalty, Ardfinnan and Tubber exchanges were upgraded yesterday, for anyone out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Oh and Ballintogher :D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

Hi Lads
    can any one tell me if the BB upgrade that is in progress over the next few weeks by eircom will get me acess to BB?. Currently my line is "unsuitable" and I live about 3 miles from the blarney exchange which for the last year or so has BB and is been upgraded next week end, I've had eircom engineer call out about 3 months ago and they told me that the capacitance on the line was not good enough whatever that means?? Anybody any ideas??:o

Airwire has provisioned the Killimor (Co. Galway) basestation on friday. Coverage should be 15km around Killimor.

/Martin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

hi, I live in Robinstown, near Trim Co. Meath.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to add broadband in this area?

I know Omnitel have a set up, but they will not respond to my mails or calls, so I'd rather avoid them if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 country_guy

chewed wrote: »
    hi, I live in Robinstown, near Trim Co. Meath.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to add broadband in this area?

I know Omnitel have a set up, but they will not respond to my mails or calls, so I'd rather avoid them if possible.

I just got my broadband installed and I'm living between Mullingar & Kinnegad, off the beaten track by Satellite Broadband Ireland and they can guarantee you get Broadband anywhere....call them, they worked for me....it's one-way which basically means all downloading, e-mails, surfing web etc... is perfect...upload is an issue, but unless you're sending large files all the time for work etc.... you'll be fine....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

anyone know if bb is available in my area,drumkeerin in co.leitrim..? any help gratefull.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

strandsman wrote: »
    Hi Lads
    can any one tell me if the BB upgrade that is in progress over the next few weeks by eircom will get me acess to BB?. Currently my line is "unsuitable" and I live about 3 miles from the blarney exchange which for the last year or so has BB and is been upgraded next week end, I've had eircom engineer call out about 3 months ago and they told me that the capacitance on the line was not good enough whatever that means?? Anybody any ideas??:o
    I've never heard of a fail before because of that. Only on ISDN have I heard it. Unfortunate. Maybe ordering a new line or even ISDN will help. A little bit of hassle and cost but it could be your best option if the engineer already ruled it out on your existing line. If you order an ordinary line let it be well known to eircom it's needed for DSL, and beware that it costs €120 odd to install.

Do any of your neighbours pass the line test or have DSL?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I just got my broadband installed and I'm living between Mullingar & Kinnegad, off the beaten track by Satellite Broadband Ireland and they can guarantee you get Broadband anywhere....call them, they worked for me....it's one-way which basically means all downloading, e-mails, surfing web etc... is perfect...upload is an issue, but unless you're sending large files all the time for work etc.... you'll be fine....

Since the majority of your posts seem to promote this company I just wanted to clarify at this stage do you have any other links with this company other then being a customer, for example are you an employee?

Cabaal,

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

hi lads.does anyone know if Chorus(UPC)have wireless broadband packages?tnx.

Airwire has provisioned the Moydow (Rahara, Co. Roscommon) and Kilconly (Co. Galway) basestations this week.

Moydow covers Roscommon town (partially), Mount Talbot, Rahara, Knockcroghery, Atleague etc.

Kilconly covers Kilconly, the north side of Tuam, Belclare, Caherlistrane, Milltown and a few other bits. Approx 15 km radius around Kilconly.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Does anyone know if the exchange in Fore, Co. Westmeath is due to be enabled? Heard a rumour that Eircom guys were calling to houses in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TheBigJ

To all users looking for broadand in Belcare Tuam Co. Galway.

Cllr Sean Canney is looking for letter's for residents & buiness people in the local area of belclare to send him letters outlining the reasons you require broadband, on the letter please state your name and address and home telephone number.

Cllr Canney is hoping to submit to Eircom soon and hopefully they will enable the exchange in Castlehackett.

Once completed you may hand deliver or post it to him at the following address

Cllr Sean Canney
    Claretuam,
    Tuam,
    Co. Galway.

or e-mail scanney@cllr.galwaycoco.ie
    or fax 093 55841.

Any help in relation to this would be great.
    Thanks in advance.
    J

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement