Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

tabatha wrote: »
    i want to get rid of ntl (both the tv and broadband) and go with a new phone and broadband bundle package. i thought smart were the best?

Most people would consider them the best or at least one of the best, but in your case how good they are won't really help you much since you're line is poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 geebag

Anybody have any info on availability in Suncroft, Co. Kildare? Am thinking of buying a house there. I have taken a local phone number from the phone book and did line checks on several providers sites.
    www.broadband.gov.ie says no but most of the providers say yes ( they would I suppose)

Anybody got any definite info?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 halcyon-days

Hi folks,
    I've recently moved to Donegal and living in Killygordon. I've been researching these forums today and browsing the internet from my work computer trying to find the best BroadBand package. Most of the ISP's I've checked so far are offering only 3MB as their top of the line for Donegal...

Previously i lived in N.Ireland in Strabane just 15 min drive away from Killygordon and had free broadband with talktalk 8MB and 40GB cap. I'm still finding it a shock that 3MB is considered fast.

My questions is can anyone tell me of a broadband service that offers 8MB for Donegal???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Hi folks,
    My questions is can anyone tell me of a broadband service that offers 8MB for Donegal???

Not yet most likely but the standard 3 meg package is going up to 7.6 in June, if your line can take it that is.

More info here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055228131

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 halcyon-days

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Not yet most likely but the standard 3 meg package is going up to 7.6 in June, if your line can take it that is.

More info here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055228131

This is great news, I'm currently on the 3MB connection and June is right around the corner so i don't mind waiting another month r 2.
    I finially got my issues resolved with UTV and got my upload speed back to normal. Surfing the web is much more enjoyable again and pages opening faster and streaming movie trailers from iTunes etc.
    My only concern will be with UTV's 20GB cap... I'm pretty sure i checked the option for unlimited usage for an extra fiver a month but i'd need to ring them and confirm that later today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

the service has a min spee, A 3mb pack might only get 2mb but the will still be faster than a 2mb pack,

that's probally the best the line can get

tryu downgrading but your speed wont' be as high, you might get the 2 when you payiong for it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jkeny wrote: »
    Do I have a case for a refund from BT - 2/3 of service = 2/3 of bill?

Check your terms for the package you are on. If it says, that it is "rate adaptive" like eircom do, then there is nothing you can do. Same with contention.

Only if it wasn't rate adaptive and it was uncontended you had the legal means of forcing them to reduce the price or ensure the speed.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Hi,

Does anyone know where the Castletown exchange in Drogheda is? I understand it is being upgraded this week - but need to know where it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stevers

Hi there. Im looking to get broadband in a west cork village. the two towns on both sides are able to get broadand but we aparently cant.
    I rang eircom recently and they said we can now get it. i was delighted. I went onto their website and checked my phone lines.both were able to take broadband it said and ordered it. They rang back and said they couldnt because we have ASDN lines. Im looking for something with high or unlimited CAPS for online play mainly on my ps3.

1. Is there any way i can get broadband?
    2. I checked with BtIreland online and their line test passed as well...would i have the same problems?

Sorry for bothering you and thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Where is castletown in Drogheda?! All the exchanges I know of in Drogheda and immediately surrounding it are:

Patrick St. The main exchange in Drogheda.
    the AEH in the donore industrial estate
    Colpe Cross
    Termonfeckin
    Dunleer
    Collon
    Tullyallen (only really serves a large estate)
    Slane
    Duleek
    Julianstown
    Bettystown

As for those ISDN lines, if you order broadband and they tell you DSL can't be installed, tell them to get rid of the ISDN line post-haste and for broadband to be then activated by the engineer in the exchange. There are dozens of people who've got DSL over ex-ISDN lines. I'm suprised at such bull from eircom sales, who get plenty enough of those orders.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much to_ be_confirmed. I will do that so. Ive decided im going to go with BTIreland now. If eircom dont want my money thats fine. I have no problem whatsoever taking my money somewhere else!!i also found out that the Bt one is for about the same price but faster. Also when they are upgrading the exchanges they are bringing in 8 meg broadband. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Any news on Smart doing upgrades? I am on the 8Mb service, but because I was going to do the IPTV trial they changed my profile and I was getting 9/10Mb, now I'm back down to 6/7Mb. If €ircom can give free upgrades why not smart? Also the reason we went with smart was because of the free line rental. Seeing as the g/f get's free line rental from the HSE, we only pay €31 after the DSFA credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Hey....

I am looking to get good, fast internet service in Sallynoggin, Co. Dublin. its beside Dun laoghaire.

I currently have a vodafone thing which is useless. I dont want to get a phone line as I use my mobile for calls and do not want to have to pay out a line rental.

Cheers

Hi. I didnt think id be back again but here i am. I got a phonecall today from BTIreland. They have now told e my ISDN line cant be downgraded because its a "hunter line." I have absolutely no idea what this means...all i know is they wont give me broadband.

Any help?please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 antonian

Despite Eircom telling me yesterday that it would be six or nine months before my exchange (Rosenallis, Co. Laois) would be upgraded, lo and belold, a BT rep called this evening to sell me broadband. It turns out that the exchange goes live tomorrow with both Eircom and BT but nobody has told the Eircom frontline staff yet.

My line passed the test at 4Km from the exchange and having been stuck on that dreadful HSDPA service from '3' I just can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

antonian wrote: »
    ...but nobody has told the Eircom frontline staff yet.

Why am I not surprised???

Bye, Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

An ISDN line CAN be downgraded, for it was reguarly done in the UK during the broadband rollout (check www.thinkbroadband.co.uk for a lot more info). If they really wanted to do it, they can do it very easily.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Spot the odd one out in the following table of the larger Galway towns...
    Town		Pop.	Enabled by Eircom?
    Ballinasloe	6049	Yes
    Loughrea	4532	Yes
    Oranmore	3513	Yes
    Athenry		3205	Yes
    Gort		2734	Yes
    Clifden		1497	Yes
    Portumna	1377	Yes
    Oughterard	1305	Yes
    Moycullen	1237	Yes
    Headford	760	Yes
    Mount Bellew	746	Yes
    Belclare	741	No
    Ballygar	689	No
    Carraroe	627	Yes
    Dunmore		614	Yes
    Kinvara		563	Yes
    Glenamaddy	502	Yes
    Lackaghbeg	446	Yes
    Craughwell	414	Yes
    Corrofin	380	Yes
    Moylough	357	Yes
    Monivea		337	Yes
    Killimor	318	Yes

Ok odd two then. Now from what I can see Belclare has a group wireless scheme. My question is why NOTHING in Ballygar? It's on the N63, plenty of smaller towns are already enabled. I can only assume Eircom are happy to continue receiving numerous ISDN line rentals. Guess what exchange I am on :mad:

/Zith

Ok odd two then. Now from what I can see Belclare has a group wireless scheme. My question is why NOTHING in Ballygar? It's on the N63, plenty of smaller towns are already enabled. I can only assume Eircom are happy to continue receiving numerous ISDN line rentals. Guess what exchange I am on :mad:

Depending on where around Ballygar you are, we (http://www.airwire.ie) might be able to cover you and there is work being done to spot another location to cover the village.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

Marlow wrote: »
    Depending on where around Ballygar you are, we (http://www.airwire.ie) might be able to cover you and there is work being done to spot another location to cover the village.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

Maybe you could put an antenna on one of those big "No O2 Masts Here" signs in Ballygar :D Have to laugh when I see those.

Thanks for the info anyway. I was aware of airwire's presence in Newbridge but in all likelyhood any wireless in Ballygar will see me sitting in a hole right in the middle of the two :(

• Advertisement

That depends on what you can see, from where you are.

A basestation on the south-side of Mt. Mary is planned. The spot overlooks Ballygar and most of the area between Newbridge and Ballygar. Target for that is approx 6 weeks to go online.

Another one in Four Roads, if we can find the right spot.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

geebag wrote: »
    Anybody have any info on availability in Suncroft, Co. Kildare? Am thinking of buying a house there. I have taken a local phone number from the phone book and did line checks on several providers sites.
    www.broadband.gov.ie says no but most of the providers say yes ( they would I suppose)

Anybody got any definite info?

Thanks in advance.

I live in Calverstown just down the road. Our exchange is not enabled despite being on a list to be enabled published before the last election. I normally ring Eircom regularly to be told to ring back in 3 months. However there was a change when I rang in April...."Ring back in 6 months"..great!!

Marlow wrote: »
    That depends on what you can see, from where you are.

A basestation on the south-side of Mt. Mary is planned. The spot overlooks Ballygar and most of the area between Newbridge and Ballygar. Target for that is approx 6 weeks to go online.

Another one in Four Roads, if we can find the right spot.

/Martin

I'm more southerly in Ballinamore Bridge so I guess the lay of the land there will block anything from Mt Mary oh well.

Still fair play to you for rolling out more in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭darraghsherwin

Does anybody know when BT will be rolling out their 8Mb service on the Bray exchange?
    I got a mail last night from BT saying expect to see increases in June but they don't mention the Bray exchange on their list of exchanges to be upgraded.

Thanks
    Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 run like hell

I am looking to get broadband in Glasnevin Court with a decent speed (at least 2MB). Anyone any ideas. Smart and Digiweb both tell me that its not available there which I thought seemed odd considering its not as if its in the middle of nowhere

Thanks

edited to add - I'm with Smart at the mo (have been for the past 6 months) and I'm moving house..since Smart isn't available there, they want to charge me fort he remaining 6 months of my contract (about €270)...is this right?

I am looking to get broadband in Glasnevin Court with a decent speed (at least 2MB). Anyone any ideas. Smart and Digiweb both tell me that its not available there which I thought seemed odd considering its not as if its in the middle of nowhere

There are areas of Dublin, that still aren't enabled for DSL. If Digiweb even can't deliver DSL (which is eircom resale), the you will need to look for other alternatives like IBB Breeze etc.

The best is to go to http://www.broadband.gov.ie, find the area and start calling the ISPs listed for availability.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are (or were very recently) Government School Broadband Scheme , schools in Dublin with 2 way satellite. :(

Even on DSL enabled exchanges a significant (secret) number of lines in Cities fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Anyone know when eircom will enable the exchanges in rural Waterford? Particularly Bonmahon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Anyone know when eircom will enable the exchanges in rural Waterford? Particularly Bonmahon?

Its on the infamous list of 319 exchanges to be upgraded, IRRC eircom never set out a solid timetable for it. I do remember it being mentioned in an article that the list would definitely be finished in 2009. So that could mean anything up to a year and a half. I would personally go ahead and look for alternatives like fixed wireless, I'm pretty sure there is a one or two that have some amount of coverage down that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Just checked on this - I'm told Bonmahon is on a list of exchanges that are targeted to be completed by the end of September, so looks like it's definitely some time in 2008.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement