Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC FTA Tests

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Bit un PC of the Beeb to call the Channel Islands part of England, as it's not even part of the UK!

so what are they then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

Number plates and sovereign states
    This forum really educates

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

IOM is something odd too.
    Cornwall isn't part of of England, though in the UK and part of Great Britian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by watty
    IOM is something odd too.
    Cornwall isn't part of of England, though in the UK and part of Great Britian.

My understanding is that this is a bit of an urban myth due to the fact that although it was never formally made part of England, it is considered to be part of England by convention, and certainly all laws which apply in England apply in Cornwall.

Having said that, I heard someone from Cornwall claiming a while back that Cornwall was not part of the UK, because only England, Wales , Scotland and NI were in the UK and Cornwall wasn't part of England.

On an aside, anyone in Cornwall who dies without leaving a will has their money given to the Duke of Cornwall - who is also the Prince of Wales.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sin e an Fear
    not to worry. that and many more will be available from Thursday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/spotlight/channel_islands.shtml

Bit un PC of the Beeb to call the Channel Islands part of England, as it's not even part of the UK!

I suppose that since the CI are part of the "BBC SouthWest" region, it would be awkward to list them elsewhere.

It is ironic that both the BBC and ITV offerings in the Channel Islands are so meager given that they send no MPs to Westminster and handle all their own affairs, aprt from Foreign and some Financial Matters. But then, their populations are much lower than any other region.

The IOM is even worse, with no dedicated TV regions or BBC Radio stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

I suppose that since the CI are part of the "BBC SouthWest" region, it would be awkward to list them elsewhere.

It is ironic that both the BBC and ITV offerings in the Channel Islands are so meager given that they send no MPs to Westminster and handle all their own affairs, aprt from Foreign and some Financial Matters. But then, their populations are much lower than any other region.

They're better served than they were before- prior to 2000 they just got BBC SouthWest bulletins from England. Channel TV is the smallest ITV franchise, and does pretty well.

The IOM is even worse, with no dedicated TV regions or BBC Radio stations.

True, and like the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man is covered
    by the BBC Charter and UK Broadcasting Act. Manx Radio was originally licensed by the UK but is now licensed by the local Communications Comission. There's a proposal to have a Manx TV channel, but it's all talk for now.

Manx Television does reports for Border and BBC North West.

a crown dependency
    http://www.odci.gov/cia/publication...ok/geos/je.html
    http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/gk.html

Don't touch those CIA links with a barge pole- try these instead

http://www.gov.je
    http://www.gov.gg
    http://www.gov.im

Gibraltar, OTOH, is a colony, and HMG in its wisdom decided to make broadcasting a defined domestic matter. This means that Sky, BBC, ITV etc can't officially be received on the Rock, not that anyone cares. To get an idea of why satellite is so popular there, look at the local station GBC website

It used to carry BBC Prime until BBC1 and 2 became available, but dropped it. BBC Worldwide were not pleased. Contrary to reports, the Astra 2D foortprint does go that far south.

Amazingly, though 2D is NOT recieved in some spanish aeras just north of Gibralter.

I think about 10 people voted to for UK gov to hand Gib over to Spain in last referendum.

The GBC schedule is SCARY. Some of the worse FTA ent channels and shopping channels on Sky are MUCH better.

HMG in its wisdom decided to make broadcasting a defined domestic matter. This means that Sky, BBC, ITV etc can't officially be received on the Rock, not that anyone cares.

I suppose this is because that Gib is too far away from the UK to have been able to carry BBC/ITV Services when they started up. They weren't going to worry too much about a small place with only 30,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

From what I can see on the Astra 2D forum, you will get the signal depending on the size of dish, probably a dish size of 2+ cms should get you a strong enough signal for Gib

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    a dish size of 2+ cms

Can you get dishes that small? :D

Actually you probabily can. But not for Ku Band.

maybe 48GHz or higher HAP transmissions

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    to put an end to this

W = Waterford City
    WD = Waterford County

24 hours to free BBC yay :)

Ah thanks for clarifying that Mossy! I didn't know that. So Waterford and Tipp (TN & TS) are the only counties that have 2 different registration.

Back on topic! :rolleyes: It will be interesting to see the BBC regions of various parts of UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by byte
    Ah thanks for clarifying that Mossy! I didn't know that. So Waterford and Tipp (TN & TS) are the only counties that have 2 different registration.
    Limerick as well (L & LK, no idea which is which). That's the last one though.
    (the County Co HQ being in a different city/town to the city council HQ seems (or at least, unlike Cork, in a different office) to be the reason for two, the third (Tipp) one is obvious)

I suppose this is because that Gib is too far away from the UK to have been able to carry BBC/ITV Services when they started up. They weren't going to worry too much about a small place with only 30,000 people.

Also for political historical reasons- the French treat their colonies as part of the Republic, with deputies and senators in Paris, and at great expense arrange for French programmes to be broadcast around the world to the 'DOM-TOMs'. See the RFO website.

Strangely, you can get France 2 and 3 on satellite in West Africa, but not in Reunion, which is still a French Overseas Department.

Spain has two 'Gibraltars' of its own in Morocco, Ceuta and Melilla, which are fully integrated with Spain, not that the Moroccans are impressed with that argument. (Usurped Territories = Six Counties)

I think about 10 people voted to for UK gov to hand Gib over to Spain in last referendum.

Not quite that few, but only 1% on an 88% turnout- I left the day before the poll. In 1967 it was 12 138 to 44. Imagine Ulster Unionists speaking Spanish- weird.

The GBC schedule is SCARY. Some of the worse FTA ent channels and shopping channels on Sky are MUCH better.

That's why the local 'satellite associations' have been so successful- and why the Government doesn't have the cojones to clamp down on them and have them licensed and regulated. When your only paying £50 a year for the whole Sky Digital package and £30 for a licence fee, no wonder.

Strangely, you can get France 2 and 3 on satellite in West Africa, but not in Reunion, which is still a French Overseas Department.
    May or may not be something to do with the French not being too pushed about keeping it. Meanwhile the Comoros flag has four stars on it (expecting their fourth green, er, island to come home perhaps)

May or may not be something to do with the French not being too pushed about keeping it. Meanwhile the Comoros flag has four stars on it (expecting their fourth green, er, island to come home perhaps)

No, that's Mayotte, which voted to stay French in defiance of the Comoros and the UN. Another island, Anjouan, wanted to go back to France a few years ago, but Paris said 'no'. (as did Mauritius at one point in the 19th century, as it was known as Ile de France)

Reunion has always been French, as an overseas department since 1946. RFO's website says that the emphasis is on local programming and scheduling, which coming from the French is out of character.

When you go to the French Antilles, you're in France, when you go to the British West Indies, you're in North America- period. You'll be lucky if you get BBC World. In Bermuda the three local channels are affiliates of ABC, NBC and CBS, and you get US and Canadian channels on Cablevision No BBC America or BBC Canada, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    to put an end to this

W = Waterford City
    WD = Waterford County

24 hours to free BBC yay :)

Yea thanks mossy, i knew i wasn't seeing things, didnt know bout the limerick thing thou, all very strange and completely off topic but at least i know now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

[rant[
    I always thought the Irish number plates were fairly ridiculous. A country of 4 million and some people have 9 digits in their number plate! Of course they could solve the problem by introducing letters after the county thereby creating more possible combinations, i.e. 03-D-6G9 or 03-C-5EX. (hehe) But nobody in government seems to have thought of that as of yet.

Bring back the red and black ones!
    [/rant]

No, that's Mayotte
    Stand corrected (mixed up the name), thanks. Just as well this thread is deadish in its original incarnation, eh? Interesting info on Gibralter/Reunion/etc telly though.

• Advertisement

I always thought the Irish number plates were fairly ridiculous. A country of 4 million and some people have 9 digits in their number plate!

Well, many areas have 9 digits phone numbers hence +353 (0) 21 444 4444. However, the new British ones are a mess- they should have used postcode areas, hence 03 CF 54321 would be a car registered in Cardiff this year. The Irish ones make far more sense.

Bring back the red and black ones!

The EU says they must either be black on yellow or black on white- only Belgium gets away with red on white. Black on red looks awful.

Just as well this thread is deadish in its original incarnation, eh? Interesting info on Gibraltar/Reunion/etc telly though.

Well, come 10th July it is. To make matters even more confusing, Gibraltarian politicians may sound like Big Ian, but they were educated by the Christian Brothers. It's the only place I know where the Irish theme pub flies the Union Jack. And they've got a street called Irish Town. (It has a Ballymena House, named after the camp where many evacuees went during the war)

If Sky had a market penetration in the UK and Ireland that it does in Gib, it's be laughing. But if the only alternative was an hour long programme with the Chief Minister (OH JOY) and Spanish stuff, it's no wonder, Funnily enough, a company that wanted to offer a cable TV service legitimately was told by Sky that it couldn't carry its channels- even though Sky would get paid the full whack.

If GBC has any sense it'll relay BBC1 and 2 on the Rock FTA tomorrow. But it won't, because it's GBC

Advertisement