Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC FTA Tests

Options
  • 29-04-2003 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

From a poster called Kerry on the DigitalSpy site -

"BBC1 currently testing on 10847V sr22000 fec 5/6 with "BBC1 LN" label, banner showing "This is BBC Interactive", onscreen dog reads BBC1 South. Perhaps this is the precursor to BBC's tests for FTA."

Someone replied that the Beeb has used this transponder before for interactive services, but this test is viewable with an ROI card which up til now only BBC1 and 2 NI have been.

Could be onto something here.

Anyone with more info ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Possibly. This is the only transponder the BBC currently have on 2D, which has been used for BBCi, mainly for sports interactive. They need 3 more birds to be fired up soon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

There seems to be an interactive stream on now, but it's interesting that it's visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

i have checked this transponder on many occasions in the last month, always getting "no channels available", checked it approx mid day today still got no channels msg.

tonight is the 1st time i have ever seen a channel listed ( roi sub card)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by arkles
    checked it approx mid day today still got no channels msg.
    Ditto (just checked now)

Lyngsat now reflects those changes. It says 4 BBC ONE sub-regions in England are there...

Guys, tune in TODAY at 6:30pm on those frequencies and see what you get. (local news hopefully!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

The DS thread mentioned that the receptionof this test had a quality of about 80% compared to other stations - is it because it's a transpoonder normally used for interactive that now needs tweaking, or are the BEEB trying to limit reception to the British Isles? I reckon I'm safe anyways where I am in Brittany - they'll have to have a signal powerful enough to keep their legitimate customers in the Channel Islands happy, and thus it'll still be receivable here. Gonna check tonight if I get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only BBC Ln with no pic/sound just now/next EPG this AM when I looked on PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

now showing cbbc for all da kids in the house :)
    on roi sub card
    not fta

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Interestingly my Echostar picks up all the tests encrypted but the digibox only picks up BBC Ln.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Whats the PIDs Tony? My PC only sees the BBC Ln as does my Digiboxes. It seems to be "soft encrypted", i.e. a FTV card AND ROI card work but not the PC.
    I'm only seeing BBC LN showing CBBC with superimposed audio levels and Network 3 ident on both Digiboxes..

• Advertisement

Originally posted by watty
    Whats the PIDs Tony? My PC only sees the BBC Ln as does my Digiboxes. It seems to be "soft encrypted", i.e. a FTV card AND ROI card work but not the PC.
    I'm only seeing BBC LN showing CBBC with superimposed audio levels and Network 3 ident on both Digiboxes..

V2305 A 2306 PCR 2305

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

during the 6.00 news it went to "Programme Not Available" on an Irish card. it still works on a FTV card though. incidentally it was BBC One South

I cant see right now, but 6:30pm is local news time....

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Same here at 1930 08 this prog is not available. So much for free to air. Do you think someone at the Beeb has been looking at these web sites. Or is that too parnoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

too paranoid. they said 1st of June. it's still April!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

It appears that this feed is regionalised. As I see on another forum that people in NI and Scotland the 08 banner as well. May be this test has nothing to do FTA. May be some of the Sat Tech may have more of an idea?

Currently getting the "This programme is not available" message.

Hopefully we'll see more activity in the next fews days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    during the 6.00 news it went to "Programme Not Available" on an Irish card.

Yeah, it worked at 6pm for the Regional Headlines from South Today, but when I tuned back for South Today itself it was gone.

It currently has a blank screen but EPG info for BBC1 on an FTV card.

Do interactive feeds normally carry EPG info ?

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    Do interactive feeds normally carry EPG info ?

No, they dont show any info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

What is the story with the tests now ?

nothing has changed for a few days now

Could the BBC/SKY have worked something out ?:confused::confused::confused:

A bit off copying the whole of a post in another forum, and while I agree with all said, it has all been said earlier in this forum, in the BBC sticky thread.

"Acceptable usage" would be splitting it up or adding comments in a blow by blow critique, rather than a wholesale copy with no comment.

A bit off copying the whole of a post in another forum, and while I agree with all said, it has all been said earlier in this forum, in the BBC sticky thread.

"Acceptable usage" would be splitting it up or adding comments in a blow by blow critique, rather than a wholesale copy with no comment.

It has been sorted;)

I thought it was perfect the way it was, but nevermind !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Watty,

Not quite sure what the above means. Are you saying that this thread should be merged with the BBC sticky thread ? If so, I'm sure Damo will do the business.

Although it has generally been useful over the years to have threads that referenced tests specifically, for shortcut purposes.

Or have I misunderstood your post ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 zak

BBC have put their plans to go FTA back until the 1st of July. The UK regalator has instructed sky to keep BBC transmissions enqrypted until this date while the regalator trys to sort out the problems between BBC & Sky. It is not 100% certin that the BBC will go FTA yet.

Originally posted by zak
    BBC have put their plans to go FTA back until the 1st of July. The UK regalator has instructed sky to keep BBC transmissions enqrypted until this date while the regalator trys to sort out the problems between BBC & Sky. It is not 100% certin that the BBC will go FTA yet.

And the source of this information is ?

Tony

no mention of this on the bbc site www.bbc.co.uk or www.sky.com
    or www.itc.org.uk

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    Hi Watty,

Not quite sure what the above means. Are you saying that this thread should be merged with the BBC sticky thread ? If so, I'm sure Damo will do the business.

Although it has generally been useful over the years to have threads that referenced tests specifically, for shortcut purposes.

Or have I misunderstood your post ?

no it has nothing to do with the thread just a post

Hey the BBC ONE LN test is showing epg listings for the next few hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At last a change but it is still encrypted

• Advertisement

I would like to correct that post . you get the epg listings by doing the following:
    1) Go into BBC ONE LN and find out what programme is one
    2) go into A-Z listings and find the programme
    3) click on the BBC ONE LN programme and you will get the listings for the next few hours
    Hovever it is still encrypted

Advertisement