Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC FTA Tests

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

I'm fitting a sat receiver at work to reduce bandwidth hogged by some folks who basically want to listen to radio.

Good for you- who's it with, by the way? Web Sat or Aramiska ?

In late 1999, this guy put 17 US and Canadian TV terrestrial channels on his site- iCraveTV.com needless to say he was threatened with legal action on both sides of the border and desisted.

Admittedly there wasn't much point in targeting the US and Canada with channels they can watch anyway, so it was a waste of connectivity. Similarly, even Astra 2D can be picked up in far flung places, plus time differences would make live feeds of UK terrestrial channels impractical unless there was time shifting....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

re: fitting satellite at work

If they all listen to the same channel - you just take the audio in to a PC and stream it. - if only a few channels then of course you would need several receivers and a splitter - but still cheaper than a years subscription..

Don't forget at just 33Kb per second you hit 14.8 MB in an hour. In a month it's 10.7 GB if left on 24/7 (someone will...) - which is way over most cap's...

I really hate when it's cricket on BBC R4 LW and you can't get FM ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

Ah, my dear old thing, Old Blowers and the Bearded Wonder is not your cup of tea. :D

Its possibly the only reason I listen to BBC Radio 4 LW... for that, the Midnight News and "Sailing By"........

Originally posted by DMC
    Its possibly the only reason I listen to BBC Radio 4 LW... for that, the Midnight News and "Sailing By"........
    Today in parliament... Order Order! :D
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I like John Peel and The Archers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    re: fitting satellite at work
    Don't forget at just 33Kb per second you hit 14.8 MB in an hour. In a month it's 10.7 GB if left on 24/7 (someone will...) - which is way over most cap's...

Well we arn't capped yet, nor even charged (yet) for ADSL. I plan ahead..

I hate it when the Alarm clock wakes me with Cricket instead of Regular R4. I'm sure I could wire one of my sat receiver audio outs into its volume control and then it wouldn't!

Yes I should get them to buy a Quad LNB (or even two).
    4 wires in 8 core cat 5 don't do anything = two channel audio twised pair to every out let free.. Apart from the unused Rj45 jacks.
    Why have jerky audio over IP tying up a PC when you can run audio direct from the satellite receiver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

Why have jerky audio over IP tying up a PC when you can run audio direct from the satellite receiver?

Agreed, but for those struggling to receive Astra 2D, sin sceal eile, nach ea?

Anyway, BBC FTA will be receivable, that's what matters most....

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Has anyone got hold of a reasonable FM Stereo Transmitter to re-broadcast (at low power) R4 from a sky box??? I've tried it with limited success a few milliwatts (the walls in my house are solid and the signal is attenuated to much).

The bloody cricket drives me nuts this time of year on LW.

Cheers

They are illegal. (without a licence from Comreg).

Use a pre-licenced 2.4GHz video sender. It works without video and the stereo audio uses two separate channels giving higher quality than FM stereo mulitplex system. Most of the illegal FM radio senders are only mono anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Hello Watty,

Ive tried a couple of those, no use the attenuation through the walls of the bungalow is to great. Its an old house built of the old type of solid concrete block about twice as dense as a modern block, and all the interior walls are built of the same material. sending to adjoining rooms is fine, but any further is no use...

TTFN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Latest news from MediaBullet regarding frequencies-

"10/06/03 Frequencies for BBC One regional announced

The BBC's two new frequencies, to be used for the six regions of BBC One have now been added this afternoon to the Network Information Table. The new frequencies are: 10.788 V, SR 22000 FEC 5/6, 10.818V, SR 22000 FEC 5/6. No date is known for the start of actual test transmissions. There are now 62 frequencies in Sky's Network Information Table."

Watch the skies !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

MOD EDIT:

Hi SRB and Aepos,

As the link provided is for a site for equipment that is technically illegal if it is imported here, then I had to remove your post.

If you want the link, use PM to contact SRB.

Damo.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Apologies Damo, on the same note, strictly speaking licensed videosenders are only to be used to transmit video and audio and NOT audio only. Use for audio only is technically against the terms of the license.

Originally posted by Aepos
    Hello Watty,

Ive tried a couple of those, no use the attenuation through the walls of the bungalow is to great. Its an old house built of the old type of solid concrete block about twice as dense as a modern block, and all the interior walls are built of the same material. sending to adjoining rooms is fine, but any further is no use...

TTFN
    Get some long 3 core Video/Audio phono cable and run it straight into attic.

Put the Video Sender TX on the peak of the attic roof.

You'll get signal in all the rooms. Hint.. your foot goes through a cieling easily so does RF

If you had a TX strong enough to go through all the wall you suggest, it would "illuminate" out the window of the room it's in for several miles :D

Can anyone see anything on 10.788 V, SR 22000 FEC 5/6 or 10.818V, SR 22000 FEC 5/6 with an FTA box ?

there's no sign of anything on a digibox (but as we know, a digibox doesn't always show what's there).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by SRB
    Apologies Damo, on the same note, strictly speaking licensed videosenders are only to be used to transmit video and audio and NOT audio only. Use for audio only is technically against the terms of the license.

If you took it from a Sky box there would be video - the search/scan banner!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    Can anyone see anything on 10.788 V, SR 22000 FEC 5/6 or 10.818V, SR 22000 FEC 5/6 with an FTA box ?

there's no sign of anything on a digibox (but as we know, a digibox doesn't always show what's there).

Nothing on these at 13.00 toady Weds Charles

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ballydung

BBC1 Regions Testing now:
    10817V 22000 5/6
    BBC ONE BS
    BBC ONE NT
    BBC ONE OX
    BBC ONE PY
    BBC ONE SO
    BBC ONE TW

10788V 22000 5/6
    BBC ONE BM
    BBC ONE HL
    BBC ONE LS
    BBC ONE MR
    BBC ONE NC
    BBC ONE NO

(borrowed the above from another thread, think its more appropriate here)

I can get all these on my english sub, they are all BBC 1 English regions i.e Birmingham, North west, Yorks ..etc ..but no BBC 1 NI, Wales or Scotland !!!

Are they FTA ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

not FTA yet. not too long to go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Originally posted by watty

You'll get signal in all the rooms. Hint.. your foot goes through a cieling easily so does RF

Not if the attic has that foil insulation on the plasterboard.. 2.4Ghz WONT get through that stuff..

Possibly True. But if it an old place with thick walls and not modern if won't.

I checked by own attic (15 year old 2 story semi). Foil on plasterboard. Yet a WiFi 802.11 2.4Ghz adaptor sitting in attic works laptop perfectly on all ground floor rooms. Even 2 ft away from a 2.4GHz Video sender transmitter.

Perhaps the signal goes through roof tiles and in windows or they don't use good foil or I have no idea why it isn't blocked.

In the office though the WiFi won't go from server room (3ft old cottage walls). The airpoint had to be in landing on stairwells to work in the offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Audio FM transmitters (50mW should cover your house without upsetting The Gestapo aka COMREG)

Mod edit: Missed this earlier.
    All very well, but still illegal. Google is your friend.

Those are all illegal and will cause interference to neighbours up to 1/2 mile away.

BBC Radio is definately back now on the FTA EPG (repower with card upside down).
    This looks good for possible FTA EPG with BBC TV without UK card.
    Negative:
    BBC Paraliament and S4c~digidol still missing though FTA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Just make sure if you do get one, that its set to a frequency well clear of any radio stations.

Without expensive test gear how will he know?

The stability, spurious emmisions, harmonics and deviation are all unpredicatable with cheap gear and on even professional gear the signal levels etc need to be correct for operation.

Comreg are not "Gestapo" or very proactive.

A licenced 2.4GHz video sender is easlily and cheaply avaliable as are licenced wireless speakers and wireless headphones. All can be adapted to drive HiFi. The video senders give higher quality stereo than FM multiplex stereo radio as two separate FM carriers are used. Illegal FM modules or kits either are mono or poor quality multiplex stereo. The expensive ones for RSL use give adequate quality Stereo, but even FM Radio "offical" broadcast stereo is lower quality than the stereo on a Video Sender, SkyDigital audio out or Nicam TV stereo.

Use of unlicenced and often substandard FM Radio transmitters is not just illegal but irresponsible too. Especially without techical training and test gear. You won't find a professional communcations engineer using them. I wonder why?

Check out the Argos catalog for safe, responsible and legal solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by watty
    BBC Radio is definately back now on the FTA EPG

the two 5 lives are also there which wasn't the case before. they're still encrypted though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Use a pre-licenced 2.4GHz video sender. It works without video and the stereo audio uses two separate channels giving higher quality than FM stereo mulitplex system.
    The only problem is when a microwave oven in the neighbourhood is turned on you get a really dreadful clatter.
    Maybe Watty you have a cure!!!! :cool:

• Advertisement

Report the offending Microwave.
    The user will get cateracts.

A properly working SAFE microwave does not affect either Video snders or Wireless LAN.

I've tested extensively. One microwave that just "registered" on my signal sniffer didn't interfer either. It got replaced. The owner was nervous about a Microwave that had measurabel leakage.

Advertisement