Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC FTA Tests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by DMC
    Many thanks so for and good stuff, guys, these BBC tests and the info the guys are finding are just like the BBC, to inform, educate and entertain! :D

LOL :D:D:D

By the way, thanks for taking the question mark off the title of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    So does this mean that the 2D broadcasts are still "tests" ? In other words, what we're seeing on 214/5 are not off 2D ?

I thought it seemed to be a very quick (and painless) switch-over.

I guess we can expect to see other transponders firing up over the next couple of days.
    FOr Digibox users the changeover will be quick, painless and invisible. (If far east or south truely "invisible"!)

The 11720H is still there (now as I write), when it is gone (any day?) then the Digibox is using 2D for 214.

Some folks have surmised that at SR22,000K (on 2D ) rather than SR27,500K that the bit rate is lower = lower quality BBC.

It is true that the SR (Symbol Rate) is the "modem" speed so to speak, i.e. about 1000times faster than a dialup phone line!

FEC is Forward Error Correction
    1/2 means a lot of the bit rate is used for error correction and 7/8 means hardly any.

The SR 27,500 channels use an FEC (on Sky) of 2/3 to allow smaller dish rthan Europe's Astra 1 FEC on 27500 usually of 3/4.

The Astra 2D because it has a smaller footprint, if it had the SAME power (it may not) as 2A, the signal would be much stronger. I measure it twice as strong (+3dB) here. So the 2D channels use lower FEC of 5/6, i.e. more of the bits are data and less are error correction.

So without some sums you can't compare the 2D 22,000 and 2A 27,500 symbol rates directly. It could be that for actual data, rather than data + error correction that 5/6&22,000 is actually a bit MORE than 2/3&27,500!

So any change in quality is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Correct me if I'm wrong Watty , but all of the channels on 2D (especially RTE and ITV) seem to have a much cleaner and sharper picture than the channels on 2A.

According to Digital Spy poster more BBC have appeared on 2D.

I will check it out at 1pm and report...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

Yes Watty all are there right now on that frequency that you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

what exactly is "more BBC"
    the radio stations?

http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/skyuk.shtml

lists the nearly current state.

Scroll down past 11720 H (the first group to move yesterday) to 11798H to see the BBC 2A original with some BBC TV and a lot of BBC Radio that has moved to 2D freq posted above.

This is now also on 2D (But wasn't listed yet at Lyngsat, probabily later today)

All the existing BBC are now copied on 2D except BBC Parliament (it might not move?).

Nothing changed in encryption status (i..e FTA radio still FTA, Five Live etc still encrypted) :(

The Beeb site doesn't offer a timescale for the missing BBC 1 England "regions" to go on satellite.

Interactive *might* be a slight tad faster when the Digibox is changed to 2D for BBC as the "interactive" feeds have been on 2D some while (always?).

So the next milestone(s) are any new BBC channels relating to BBC 1 England Regions and any change to encryption.. Maybe R5 first?

I forgot these BBC on 12441 V need to go to 2D Also.

(See lyngsat link above)

Perhaps this Afternoon or tommorrow on 2D.

Wouldn't surpise mee if Digibox is swapped over to 2D for BBC next week at latest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by watty
    All the existing BBC are now copied on 2D except BBC Parliament (it might not move?).

The BBC website says "Will I still be able to receive BBC Parliament after the Dsat Changes?
    Yes, BBC Parliament has never been encrypted and will continue to be broadcast unchanged."

I presume that "will continue to be broadcast unchanged" means that it is not moving transponder. It is on the same transponder as S4C, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Just rebooted digibox to get the FTA EPG and lossed the other channels. This is the first time this happened to me in awhile. I was trying to check if the 2d BBC transmission are unencrypted as claimed on another forum. The're not of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yep, thats the case, Richard, no change of transponder for BBC Parliament. I think I mentioned that in more detail before on this or the other FTA thread.

Yep. 19:13 08 May 2003, lurking beside this as I type is blank screen from BBC on my PC sat Receiver.
    No change as yet to any encryption.

So after this in Greece with a FTV card or Sub they will still get BBC Parliament.

BBC World Service Radio IS on 2D, though as with BBC generally still on 2A also.

I'd expect a reply (eventually) to my quiery about when and where you have to retune for BBC World Service, since it won't happen automatically on FTA receivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Have all the BBC's (but parlaiment) moved to 2D or are there more channrls to come?

There are some more, mostly Interactive feeds, One transponder.
    Also part of the idea is to ADD the English regions not yet on Satellite. No mention any place I found on BBC of when that might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Just to recap -

10733H 22 5/6 is now a copy of all BBC services on 11720H

10803H 22 5/6 is now a copy of all BBC services on 11798H

10847V 22 5/6 is showing BBC1 LN ( not available on ROI cards)

The next move will be the BBC services (interactive etc) currently on 12441V.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Next question is when the switchoff of 2a/b transponders.. Im dreading the grief of fitting a 1.5m dish here, its not the expense its the "family" with respect to its size.. Is anyone in Hungary/Austria picking up 2d btw??? Hellp.

Hi Everyone,
    I'm in the sunny and warm south of france at the moment:)
    Where the , local "english" language press (The riviera times ) has a couple of adverts in, for digiboxes for €299 and headlining the BBC change-over from june 1st.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

Bastard !! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I am in southern Spain at the moment enjoying super weather for the last 10 days and i am using a BBC FTV card, the interesting thing is that I am receiving ITV perfectly, does this mean that I will also get BBC with the same reception when it changes over to Astra 2D?

The card is still using the 2A channels we think.

See if you can get Irish Radio: 2Fm, RnaG and Lyric FM. They are free to air and on 2D.

There is a little confusiion about RTE1 Radio, as it *IS* on 2D but the Sky Digibox EPG was using a non-2D WRN feed. I'm not sure if this is updated yet (The WRN feed is mono, the 2D channel is Stereo)

10.936 (V?) 22,000 5/6

Giving an excellent Signal / Quality but no Radio Or TV showing up on an automatic scan.

Maybe the last block of BBC Interactive feeds on 12441V?
    Charles Slane:
    10733H 22 5/6 is now a copy of all BBC services on 11720H
    10803H 22 5/6 is now a copy of all BBC services on 11798H
    10847V 22 5/6 is showing BBC1 LN ( not available on ROI cards)

The next move will be the BBC services (interactive etc) currently on 12441V.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    I am in southern Spain at the moment enjoying super weather for the last 10 days and i am using a BBC FTV card, the interesting thing is that I am receiving ITV perfectly, does this mean that I will also get BBC with the same reception when it changes over to Astra 2D?

Yes, you should. Are you receiving ITV clearly at all times?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

I think my lnb or dish must have become misaligned because I'm receiving no signal on 10733H and I get some pixilation on some other channes. Should try and fix it myself. I'm getting ITV and CH4. I am getting 10803H.

I think its meant to be 10773H because that work fine and thats what Lyngsat says it is. Had fiddle about and the problems with pixilation are sorted.

As of last night he beeb on the EPG has now switched over to 2D and switched off the old frequencies.
    So anyone outside the footprint will now need bigger dishes and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Not if they go through the "Other channels" for the moment!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭corm500

Up until yesterday I was getting "This programme is not available" on the Beeb channels that I had saved. Today I am getting " no satellite signal is being recieved" I live in Celbridge, surely the footprint could not be that small.

Corm500

All the Beebs on 11720H are gone.

• Advertisement

Ah..
    The 10.936GHz isn't BBC Interactive, it is Sky Sports stuff.

So another transponder still needed..

With another one again for the extra BBC england Regions when they start.

Advertisement