Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC FTA Tests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Looks like the rot has set in. No signal off 11720 H, guessing EPG is telling my receiver to go to Astra 2D..

Just as well my 1.3M and 0.3 lnb arrived today. Dish on ground and 2D is there, well the signal meter I use for work tells me, need to put it on balcony to get it to really work or at least get Vertical transponders to come in above threshold.. Fingers crossed..

Im 49N 19E so anyone in Poland/Slovakia/Czech/Hungary have a bit of work to do>>>>
    Anyone else down here ???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

As this is already reported in the tests thread, threads merged

telecinesk, best of luck with the new dish, I hope you get it.

Thanks Damo for thread merge, makes sense>
    I did some preliminary tests earlier. Looks like Vertical polarity is stronger here. 10847V and 10906V showing signs of a signal but too weak to lock currently. Then again dish on ground at mo near tree and house. Think a visit to the balcony will do the trick.
    So based on that I hope to have BBC1 LN and UTV.. I will keep you posted...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Irulan

Satcure has reported the following.

>> * BBC changes

May 21, 2003

Today the BBC transmissions were transferred to Astra 2D.

To get the BBC channels do this:

(By the way, if you ARE getting a signal then there's no need to do
    this in the first place because the BBC channels are still in the
    EPG!)

Press Services 6 (other channels).
    Delete any channels already there (by pressing yellow button repeatedly).
    Now press Backup 44 (Add channels).
    Type in the following frequency and select the rest:

H
    5/6
    Add channels
    Select

Now repeat for this:

H
    5/6
    Add channels
    Select

Today you can access all BBC programmes via Services 6 (Otherchannels)

If you get "No signal" that means either you didn't clear out the
    existing Other Channels or else you really are getting no signal.

(All BBC programmes are still scrambled, by the way).

However I have tried this and I am still getting the dreaded 08 message .:mad::mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i thought that this change wouldn't be noticeable on a digibox. this morning i turned to 214 for Breakfast and i kept getting the technical problem message. BBC 2 worked fine though. i had to watch GMTV through the aerial instead :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My Irish sub is OK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

The changeover seems to have gone fine, but I wonder how many people whose dishes are not 100% correctly aligned have had problems seeing the Beeb on 2D.

It also seems that the 2D footprint overlap is bigger than expected and more people on continental Europe are still able to receive the Beeb than originally expected. Is it possible to tighten the beam ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is it possible to tighten the beam ?

Unless they have designed a mechanism on the satellite - no

Technically a Variable geometry horn or a feed that could move in or out or using several antennas and phasing could work - but moving parts are a bad idea and you'd loose so much signal that it is a non-starter.

BTW - on one of the satellites for indonesia they shaped the feed horn so the signal was not an elipse.

technically it would be possible to shape a satellite transponder to just cover Ireland - would mean we could use very neat dishes - but don't hold your breath....

Morning lads,
    Well 2d is doable here, I got a few emails and phonecalls from expats and its amazing who is down this end of europe> I think I have an excuse to install a 2M dish, had someone pleading for a result.... I will keep you posted..
    Read theres people in south of spain with 2D so BBC miscalculated alright. Most of Germany easily covered too... hahah

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't let them know ;)

Best thing to do is to enquire politely of the BBC as to why you can't pick up the test signal's with your 1 m dish - and they will explain nicely that this is indeed the case - in which you can then go " Ah, fair enough " and leave it at that.

Result they are happy that only UK viewers can see FTA and you are happy 'cos less danger of them pulling back on FTA.

• Advertisement

I doesn't matter (that 2D can be picked up all sorts of places). The BBC are *NOT* idiots. I'm sure they have a good idea where 2D can really be received. I'm sure the "off the record" chats with rights holders over last yrear have been like:

Yes the 2D is wider than published Astra, and of course people can get bigger dishes.
    It *IS* picked up less places than 2A/2B and the howls from further East and South and Ads on Newsgroups and Internet prove that anyone *UP TILL NOW* who wanted BBC could get it, for not much more than cost of Digibox & dish.

The difference is that the closer people won't need to mess with brain damged "digiboxes" and overall *LESS* people can receive it.

Since a FTV card and Digibox is easy to get, the £85million was a waste of money. It wasn't / isn't protecting your "rights" encrypting and on 2A / 2B. It is only an illusion. In reality with "real" 2D footprint less people even with FTA will watch. Exception might be Netherlands and Ireland, but they all get BBC anyway by cable.
    Show your senoir executives the "offical" 2D map, if they don't realise how many Digboxes with Cards are out in Cyprus, Greece, NorthAfrica, Malta Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭trekster

I cant tune in 10733H i had the channels on this transponder i my ohtre channels but they got wiped and now i cant put em back in there. Any help? 10803H and 10847V work fine but i still get to see this programme is not available whenever i check a channel exept BBC NI. Is this normal? The radio channels are working fine but no five file yet so they ust still be encrypting right?

No change on Encryption till mid July..

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Irulan

That frequency should be 10773 H.
    Yes all of the BBC Tv channels that were encrypted before, are still
    encrypted.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭trekster

I thought as much will fix the frequency asap. I thought it was mid july but oly popping in and out of the forum and reading half the posts gave me the inpression it had come on early. oops. hurry up itc make a ruling in our favour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

With the BBC transmissions from Astra 2A now stopped, anyone with the BBC Radio stations stored in "Other Channels" will need to retune.

It might be an ideal time to remind readers and let newbies know how to tune in Other Channels.

To add the BBC radio stations to your "Other Channels" option, do the following.

With your digibox turned on, press the "Services" button (near the top of the remote).

Select number 4, and then 4 again ("Add Channels").

In the appropriate fields enter the following (you move through the fields using the up and down arrow keys).

In the Frequency field enter: 10.803,

The next three fields are toggle fields, i.e. using the left and right arrows will change the value.

Toggle Polarisation to : H
    Toggle Symbol Rate to: 22000
    Toggle FEC to : 5/6

Then select the last button "Find Channels".

After a few seconds the station names should appear. Use the Yellow button to place a tick beside each one and press "Select". These channels will now be stored.

You can view them by pressing the "Services" button, then 6 ("Other Channels"), use the arrow keys to move to the channel you want and press "Select".

It may also be worthwhile storing the BBC TV channels as well (although they are still encrypted at the moment, hopefully that will change in July). Some of these TV stations can be found on the 10.803 frequency, with more (BBC3, 4 etc) on 10.773H.

Just a note for those out here on the other side of europe. According to BBC Radio4 that avalanche of complaints for the 2D jump has meant in 3-4 weeks Radio4 and2 will be available on a paneurope satellite,my guess hotbird as it carries the oh so hacked bbc prime.. Good news for me, Radio4 is missed in this household..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

Good news for me, Radio4 is missed in this household..Just a note for those out here on the other side of europe. According to BBC Radio4 that avalanche of complaints for the 2D jump has meant in 3-4 weeks Radio4 and2 will be available on a paneurope satellite,my guess hotbird as it carries the oh so hacked bbc prime..

Which nobody watches because it's almost as bad as BBC America.

Telecinesk, I've seen your posts on www.astra2d.cjb.net

Somebody suggested pirated broadcasts over the Net- must be possible, but discretion would be the word. Maybe disguise the website as something else

Originally posted by Sin e an Fear:
    Somebody suggested pirated broadcasts over the Net- must be possible, but discretion would be the word. Maybe disguise the website as something else
    :confused:
    *ANYONE* can listen to most BBC Radio anytime anywhere *FROM THE BBC WEB SITE*!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

He did say BBC Radio 4
    According to BBC Radio4 that avalanche of complaints for the 2D jump has meant in 3-4 weeks Radio4 and2 will be available on a paneurope satellite,my guess hotbird as it carries the oh so hacked bbc prime..

see
    *ANYONE* can listen to most BBC Radio anytime anywhere *FROM THE BBC WEB SITE*!!!

A lot of BBC Five Lives material is not broadcast over the web live football etc

• Advertisement

Yes, Radio4. 5live would be great and I do miss it but you cant win em all.. Unless some mate is going to hire a transponder on some obscure sat and uplink BBC1 for me... Nah, not really practical. Radio4 is plenty..

quote:

He did say BBC Radio 4

No, he said BBC Prime which is a TV channel! see below

quote:
    According to BBC Radio4 that avalanche of complaints for the 2D jump has meant in 3-4 weeks Radio4 and2 will be available on a paneurope satellite,my guess hotbird as it carries the oh so hacked bbc prime..

see

quote:

I was referring to TV! Not even BBC World is available as a live feed

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Sin e an Fear

I was referring to TV! Not even BBC World is available as a live feed

Are you sure? Although it's been a very long time since I used QuickTime, BBC World was indeed a QuickTime channel, broadcast 24/7. Maybe it's not there anymore

Alas, BBC World was taken off Quicktime around late 2001- it went into meltdown after 9/11. They don't even have a World News bulletin on the BBC website

This is what I was talking about

http://www.malta.tv

You can watch Italian terrestrial channels (if you really want to!) via the website- if you click on the icons you'll be asked if you can watch these channels on your TV (in Malta you can because of overspill). I don't know how they stop unentitled viewers.

Another good site is http://www.jumptv.com

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah right. Thanks for the info, I hadn't realised World was removed from QuickTime.

I used to watch a BBC World feed on the web at 300kb/sec at work. I miss it now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Originally posted by DMC
    I used to watch a BBC World feed on the web at 300kb/sec at work. I miss it now. :(
    If you pay a visit to http://wwitv.com/portal.htm and select United Kingdom channels, you will see that there is a 300k live feed of BBC World TV! This is an excellent site of live TV feeds.

/Paul.

Thank you!

I used to get the feed that was linked from www.broadband-television.com

/me wubs pbirney :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

You're very welcome! ... That's my good deed for the day! :D

• Advertisement

Though to my mind at anything other than postage stamp 33K using Internet for "broadcast" is an incredible waste of connectivity.

BBC World is FTA on 13E Analog and Digital.

I'm fitting a sat receiver at work to reduce bandwidth hogged by some folks who bassically want to listen to radio.

Advertisement