Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great big bunch of coke heads!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭dahooligan

How is taking cocaine wrong?

.... Its wrong in my eyes and thats all that matters isn't it?! To me it is wrong, wrong to take, wrong to defend. If it were legal to buy then I'd still say it was wrong! Thats what makes it different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭pdunno

Taking cocaine is wrong:

1. Because it's illegal
    2. Becuase of the damage it can do to you and others.

I'm not anti-drug, tried my fair shar in my time. I for one am of the opinion that people should do/put whatever they like into themselves. It's their problem not mine, if they want to **** themselves up then so be it.

If you don't like what people are doing, the way they are behaving then don't hang out with them. It's as simple as that.

The problem though is the attitude to drugs being socially acceptable. People taking drugs at younger ages than before, they surely don't realise the potential damage that can be cause both mentally and physically by taking drugs.

Personally I dno't care if someone takes coke, that's their business. The only time it affects me is when they start taking complete horse**** and generally behaving like a dick. In that situation I'll walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

well, its a illegal for a start.

Har har. I can't compete with that logic :)

In fairness I won't post in this topic anymore cos these drugs are bad threads just go around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Brother A wrote:
    I think the OP (audge) is damn right to get annoyed about this.

Since when did doing hard drugs become acceptable?
    His reaction is not silly at all. Doing cocaine is not right, its addictive and dangerous, and significantly more so than Alcohol. It damages the person and the people around them, especially if they get hooked.

The strange thing is, although many people would aggree that Cocaine is a highly dangerous drug, not many here have said straight out that its simply not right. Rather, the overwhelming consensus in the thread so far seems to be that people should do what they want / mind your own business etc etc.

To my mind, there's something wrong with that attitude.
    To be preaching/lecturing to people etc. about the downside of serious drugs would I'm sure be annoying to drug addicts at a party, BUT rather than the OP having to leave due to annoying drug takers, should the general consensus not be that these drug takers should leave because what they're doing is just wrong ???

hold on. i think you are misrepresenting what people are saying.
    i dont think anyone here has said that she cant get annoyed about it.

the OP is free to be annoyed about whatever she wants.

#but is it the OP's place to tell people what to do? im not sure it is. i certainly wouldnt tell my friends to stop doing something, let alone a bunch of people i hardly know. i would certainly chastize them in my own special way and generally abuse them, but i wouldnt tell them to stop. id probably call them idiots as well. that word would probably be used a lot!

i think the reason that people have not really commented on the moral rights and wrongs of actually doing coke, or any other class A, B or C drug, is becuase everything is subjective. you may say its not right. i might disagree with you. unles syou have been voted in as the 'moral compass' of me, then please dont tell me what i should think is right or wrong.
    while i disagree with cocaine taking, im certainly not going to stand on a pulpit and preach the evils of drugs to anyone else. its simply not my place to do so.

as for people leaving a party becuase someone is doing something distasteful, well, again, thats up to the individual and their own standpoint on the matter.

personally i find puking distasteful, but i wont leave if someone chunders. of course, im someone is filming a live surgery, then you know what, i'll make a decision to leave. im not too good with blood. it tends to make me faint, big girls blouse that i am...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭pdunno

In fairness I won't post in this topic anymore cos these drugs are bad threads just go around in circles.

It's a fact, there is no argument against it

• Advertisement

Sifo wrote:
    I may be speaking for the majority when i say you don't exactly seem open minded and im guessing they may feel more comfortable on their night out without you wagging your finger at them!!

See this is what gets me, because you don't take drugs and don't agree with people who do take drugs - you are not open minded?! I was waiting for someone to say that cos its a typical response from someone dying to justify themselves. Please! If a heroin addict was actually able to string a sentence together I'm sure his first few words would be.. 'I was being open minded'.

And she already said that she wouldn't be going on the night so she wont be wagging anything at anyone. Read the posts!

no, its not a moral debate.

you asked what is wrong.
    simple answer.

why is driving whilest drunk wrong?
    becuase its illegal.

har har.
    yep, good repost there....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Wrong does not necessarily equate into illegal now does it if you want to nit pick and I also meant to include a smiley after that sentence cos that was supposedly a light hearted stepping out of the argument type post. Dammit I'm posting again so I'll include the post I just pm'd to dahooligan minus the slight barb I included at the end, this isn't directed to WWM just the other anti drugs posters:

"In your opinion it's wrong. In my opinion it isn't, Should a person not be allowed to use coke in moderation as in with drink like friends of mine do? Your viewpoint is looking at the extreme. Many many many many (loads) of people use illegal drugs in moderation with no ill effects. I personally smoke weed. I hold down a decent well paying job and pay my bills on time. I have friends some who do drugs, some who don't, we all get on and guess what, I'm also more or less normal."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭audge

I have one major question........ WHY????

Why do people take it? Why did they take it in the first place? The very first time they took it, what was their reason?

For me, my first drink was taken out of sheer curiosity, my second was probably taken out of bravado, and now, I don't drink very often, but when I do, I have a few drinks to unwind and relax.

Does coke help you unwinde and relax? I actually don't know, I am asking this question for real. To me, it would appear the the opposite is true, that the taker becomes intense and wound up.... but I really don't know, so as I said, can someone tell me WHY take coke??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

it can make you feel absolutely fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm moving this to humanities as it's turned into a discussion on the pros & cons of taking coke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭audge

I guess curiosity is a huge factor in taking any drug, but so is peer pressure, and God Damn it I refuse to bow to peer pressure for anyone or anything! Seriously, even if its cutting of my nose to spite my face, im very stubborn and if the world is sayin, "ah sure everyone is doing it, its cool", I am running in the opposite direction.
    I have a curiosity about hash, ive never taken it, I would never smoke it anyway cos I have asthma fairly bad and it would kill me, but I have often thought about putting a bit in a yougurt or something.... still havent done it though!
    The coke thing, I really dont like it, my sister was 16 when she came home with blood all down her top, she hadn't even notice she had been bleeding like crazy, (nose bleed from coke)and she walked a 20 minute walk home in that state!
    Since then she has lost a tonne of weight, she's 5"6 and bout 8 stone, its awful, she looks awful. She is 18 now and pals with scum bags, (seriously, her boyfriends family have been ptetitioned out of their home by the neighbours) she is physically a wreck, and it sickens me. She comes from a good home with a supportive family, she has no excuse for the state she is in.
    Why do people still see coke as glamorous? I have seen the disgusting, vomit soaked side and its not nice. It actually bugs me more to see educated well off folk doing it, because they don't need to do it, are they doing it cos its "all in this season"?? Come on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭savoyard

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1596102,00.html

Article linking the huge rise in cocaine with gangland killings in Ireland.

I can see OPs point - cokefiends are the most boring people to go out with. Overrated, overexpensive, keeps you in the toilet most of the night and only good for keeping you awake.

Jim10000 wrote:
    it can make you feel absolutely fantastic.

When you listen to serial killers being interviewed and they're asked why they did it again and again, the most common response was 'it can make you feel absolutely fantastic'

A bit off centre but sure why not.. a lot of things can make ya feel fantastic, but while you're feeling fantastic you might be making people around you feel uncomfortable. How fantastic do you think you'd feel on Heroin if Coke makes ya feel this good?!

Its a never ending circle of silliness... anyways I'm off for a pint :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

well, its a illegal for a start.

Stabbibg a salmon twice while fishing is illegal too, so what?

I think alcohol is a bigger problem than our diluted cocaine.

dahooligan wrote:
    When you listen to serial killers being interviewed and they're asked why they did it again and again, the most common response was 'it can make you feel absolutely fantastic'

A bit off centre but sure why not.. a lot of things can make ya feel fantastic, but while you're feeling fantastic you might be making people around you feel uncomfortable. How fantastic do you think you'd feel on Heroin if Coke makes ya feel this good?!

Its a never ending circle of silliness... anyways I'm off for a pint :cool:

Watch you don't drink too much. You might make people around you feel uncomfortable.

Ag marbh wrote:
    Watch you don't drink too much. You might make people around you feel uncomfortable.

Ah touche Aggy, I thought the aul :cool: smiley would've given off the sarcastic vibe I intended to go with it... but how and ever :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Sifo

dahooligan wrote:
    See this is what gets me, because you don't take drugs and don't agree with people who do take drugs - you are not open minded?! I was waiting for someone to say that cos its a typical response from someone dying to justify themselves. Please! If a heroin addict was actually able to string a sentence together I'm sure his first few words would be.. 'I was being open minded'.

And she already said that she wouldn't be going on the night so she wont be wagging anything at anyone. Read the posts!

thats not why i said she wasnt open minded, thought that would be obvious!!! apparently not... open mindedness is an acceptence or understanding of things that you dont personally believe to be correct!!

typical response from someone immature!! If your looking for an argument i suggest you try elsewhere sweetheart!!;) :p

Sifo wrote:
    thats not why i said she wasnt open minded, thought that would be obvious!!! apparently not... open mindedness is an acceptence or understanding of things that you dont personally believe to be correct!!

typical response from someone immature!! If your looking for an argument i suggest you try elsewhere sweetheart!!;) :p

Obvious?! I'm not looking for an argument at all but excuse me for saying it how it usually is. I hear that I should be more open minded everytime I throw someone out of a venue for shoving a pike of gik up their nose in the toilet. Me arse. I personally don't believe that doin coke is correct, so by your reasoning if I don't understand or accept it then I'm not open minded?! Put together a coherent argument or don't bother at all.

And I'm not being bitchy at that. Darling :D

Ag marbh wrote:
    Stabbibg a salmon twice while fishing is illegal too, so what?

if you are going to make comparisons, at least compare apples with apples and pears with pears.

the question put was 'what is wrong with taking cocaine'

the answer is that its illegal. yo uare not supposed to do it.
    thats the black and white of the law.

if you want to talk about the moral and ethical wrongs and rights, thats a different thing altogether, but at least make the distinction in your posts.

i think the speed limits are ridiculous, but i still have to adhere to them like everyone else.

just becuase you feel that taking illegal narcotics is acceptable, does not mean that your arguments are justifiable with a bizarre comparison with fish...

but again, its an ethical debate now, and there are no right or wrong answers when all opinion is subjective.
    you can only go on what society deems acceptable, what the law says is acceptable, and what you personal feel are the limits of what you accept, and everyone differs on the last issue.

• Advertisement

dahooligan wrote:
    I personally don't believe that doin coke is correct, so by your reasoning if I don't understand or accept it then I'm not open minded?! Put together a coherent argument or don't bother at all.

:D your a bouncer Booooo!!

i believe i said "open mindedness is an acceptence or understanding of things that you dont personally believe to be correct!!"..
    :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

First off, I think its invalid to say that rightness / wrongness is interchangeable with legality / illegality , laws change all the time, what is "wrong" is not so flexible (though it may be very different among different groups, cultures etc) . In particular the laws relating to drug taking change as the societies involved change their own views on what is acceptable, the downgrading of hash in the UK for example has basically removed the illegality of one substance, but no doubt, for a large number of people smoking hash is still "wrong". Each individual needs to decide for him / herself what they accept as acceptable or wrong, society will punish those caught doing illegal acts and each individual accepts thse risks when deciding on their own actions.

I think the OP's opinion and attitude has been hugely shaped by personal experience of seeing her (?) sister coming home off her head at 16 and the subsequent changes witnessed. Of course anyone seeing a close family member about to screw up her life would become anti-coke. I think you're time would be far better spent trying to influence your sister than winding yourself up about the activities of passing acquaintences. That may be selfish but your class mates are not preaching at you to try X or attempting to change how you live your life, what right do you have try to influence theirs ?

I do sympathise with you Audge, I have a number of very close friends who have serious substance abuse problems ( worse than coke) , they no longer seem to be able to enjoy themselves without it and are impossible to talk to when on it. I enjoy their company when I can, I harrangue then about it when I can but ultimately its their choice and there is only so much I can do, anay more lectures from me would probably jeopardise long standing friendships.

Why do people do coke ?
    It's an interesting and fairly subtle drug when taken in moderation, it gives you increased self confidence, it makes you think you are being sophisticated, articulate, charming and amusing, it seems to give you a mental edge (i.e. it makes your brain work faster) , it allows you to drink a lot more than you otherwise could without it. When self confidence mutates into aggression then its not necessarily the drug's fault it is as much to do with the personality involved, a few double Jamesons would probably result in the same attitude.
    Many coke users far prefer it to booze, because its often a cheaper than drinking all night, you don't puke, get hangovers or drool , you can tell the taxi driver where you are going without slurring etc. etc. Nosebleeds are usually a sign of very poor quality charlie ( though not always) , and in general the quality of coke in ireland is very poor.

Personally I think that in moderation its no more dangerous than drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think you need to get off your high-horse and stop judging everybody because you happen to not like what they do. Maybe they think that you drinking alcohol is a "dirty habit"... But they don't lecture you about it. It's none of your bloody business what they do with their bodies, so if you don't like their company, then avoid it (as you said you're doing), and let them live their lives. They'll either cop on and stop, or won't, and they'll suffer. Their choice, not yours.

dahooligan wrote:
    Ah touche Aggy, I thought the aul :cool: smiley would've given off the sarcastic vibe I intended to go with it... but how and ever :(

No offense meant :)

if you are going to make comparisons, at least compare apples with apples and pears with pears.

if you want to talk about the moral and ethical wrongs and rights, thats a different thing altogether, but at least make the distinction in your posts.

i think the speed limits are ridiculous, but i still have to adhere to them like everyone else.

just becuase you feel that taking illegal narcotics is acceptable, does not mean that your arguments are justifiable with a bizarre comparison with fish...

but again, its an ethical debate now, and there are no right or wrong answers when all opinion is subjective.
    you can only go on what society deems acceptable, what the law says is acceptable, and what you personal feel are the limits of what you accept, and everyone differs on the last issue.

It just annoys me the way people are going on about how bad street drugs are and then they go out and consume a socially accepted drug without thinking about it as a drug. It's an example of double standards.

Sifo wrote:
    :D your a bouncer Booooo!!

i believe i said "open mindedness is an acceptence or understanding of things that you dont personally believe to be correct!!"..
    :rolleyes: :D

My bad, not reading things properly again.. to busy throwin people out of places for being naughty! :p But what I said about people tellin me I should be more open minded when I'm pointin towrds the door is true.. I just don't know anymore.
    It does seem to be a double standard for everything. Ideally we'd live in a society where no additives are needed for people to be confident or outgoing. At the moment though we have legal and illegal and what is acceptable and unacceptable to people. And drugs just don't fall into the acceptable catergory at the moment (for me).

And on a different thought, why should anyone getdown off any high horse? Isn't this what an open board is all about? People having different views be they extreme or not... more horses is what we need methinks. Black ones with white patches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Ag marbh wrote:

Possibly, but afaik most publicans don't use the money they make from selling drinks to kill people ...

I think if someone needs to take Coke to feel comfortable in social situations, or to feel good about themselves, well that is a bit sad in my view. But to each their own, some people need to take lots of drink on a night out, some people need to take lots of drugs. Coke is actually quite harmful to you, espeically take over long periods (which of course users never actually believe they are doing, or believe they will stop before it gets to a long period), so I do think it should still be illegal to sell, just like I think it should be illegal to sell cigarettes. People shouldn't be allowed make money off something that can only harm you.

My biggest problem though, with people buying and using illegal drugs is the fact they are supporting the worst and most dangerous criminals, in Ireland and the rest of the world

I found it hilarious in college when I saw the hippy crowd refusing to buy Nestle or Coke (cause they are "bad," man) but perfectly happy to buy hash, Es and LSD. Where they thought that stuff was coming from I have no idea :rolleyes:

Ag marbh wrote:
    It just annoys me the way people are going on about how bad street drugs are and then they go out and consume a socially accepted drug without thinking about it as a drug. It's an example of double standards.

that may be so, but which are you arguing?
    the law or the morality.

you cant seem to make up your mind.

i get annoyed at people who feel that they can justify taking illegal drugs just because they can....

perhaps you ought to be discussing it with the OP rather than me. like i said, once you get into the good and bad of things, there are only opinions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The OP is answering her own questions here.

She says she took her first drink out of curiousity and then asks 'Why do people start taking coke?'. Then a few posts later she answers this. Why are you asking questions that you know the answer to.

I think that yes, people on coke are boring and I can see why you wouldn't want to hang around with them.

However you should have some level of self-restraint. If you end up in a situation where there are people taking cocaine I think it is kind stupid to go off into a big rant on them. Especially if they're aren't friends (which I take it they're not). All you should do is leave the room (or the party even) and that's that. It doesn't have to come to tears. Letting your own night be ruined by your insistence on lecturing people who by your own admittance you won't see after college seems stupid to me. Let's face it - when someone is on cocaine at a party it is the last place that they are going to listen to someone discussing why they shouldn't be taking cocaine.

I agree that yes ireland has a huge cocaine problem - a friend of mine got into a fight at a party last weekend over some harmless comment because the others in the room were coked up to their eyeballs.

But the OP's original point was about her nights being ruined and I would say - this is partly your own fault. Avoid these people or refrain from lecturing. As I said earlier, you can just leave the room and not look back.

• Advertisement

Well I'm above the law so how does this effect me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement