Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Lawlor is dead

Options
  • 22-10-2005 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Just saw the news on Aertel. Apparently he was killed in a car crash in Moscow. Holy crap!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1022/russia.html
    Liam Lawlor killed in Moscow car crash

22 October 2005 15:50
    The former Fianna Fáil TD, Liam Lawlor, has been killed in a car crash in Moscow.

Mr Lawlor was a passenger in the car which hit a street lamp in Himki in northern Moscow.

The Mercedes car had been travelling from the city's main airport when the accident happened at around 1am local time.

Advertisement

The driver of the car, believed to be a local man, was also killed.

A Ukrainian woman who was a back seat passenger was seriously injured and was taken to hospital.

The 61-year-old is survived by his wife Hazel, his three sons and a daughter.

The Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, has said that he was shocked to learn of the untimely death of Liam Lawlor, and has extended his sympathy to Mr Lawlor's wife and family.

He described Mr Lawlor as an engaging, witty and larger than life character. He added that he was a man with a keen intellect with strong views, which he was never afraid to articulate trenchantly.

Fine Gael leader, Enda Kenny, has also expressed his deepest
    sympathy to the family.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

He can't take his money with him...

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Just noticed that there was already a thread on this on the Politics forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=315291

Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

sprinkles wrote:
    He can't take his money with him...

Yeah, but still, what a way to go...jesus!

Condoleces to his familly etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Sad news alright but can't say i ever liked him TBH,he should've done a few years in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

As people are saying today, despite his controversial career, a man has died in a traffic accident and a woman is a widow and her children are without their father. May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Nicely said flukey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Dies aged just 61 and he was going thru some hard stuff at the end. First there was the windscreen, then there was the lamppost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Flukey wrote:
    As people are saying today, despite his controversial career, a man has died in a traffic accident and a woman is a widow and her children are without their father. May he rest in peace.
    Of course anyone dying is a tragic loss and will be missed by their loved ones but I don't like the way people are coming out saying what a great politician and man he was....B*llsh*t, he was a criminal who should have done more time in jail imo. May he rest in peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Pigman II wrote:
    Dies aged just 61 and he was going thru some hard stuff at the end. First there was the windscreen, then there was the lamppost.

That's fooking brilliant! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pigman II wrote:

Utterly tasteless. Regardless of the bad things the man did in his life he is a human being and he has died leaving behind a wife and kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

he has died leaving behind a wife and kids.

Who no doubt wont be profiting from all that non-corrupt money in his will.

What is it about people that think death wipes the slate clean? He was a criminal scumbag whilst he lived and criminal scumbag now he's dead.

Class quote pigman.

Who no doubt wont be profiting from all that non-corrupt money in his will.

What is it about people that think death wipes the slate clean? He was a criminal scumbag whilst he lived and criminal scumbag now he's dead.

Class quote pigman.

It's a shame how quick people are to celebrate a person's death. You're already dancing on his grave before he has even entered the soil.

Still, it's up to you and your conscience to deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

betcha he faked it so he doesn't suffer any more inquiries! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

It's a shame how quick people are to celebrate a person's death. You're already dancing on his grave before he has even entered the soil.

Ned Flanders:rolleyes:

Was probably up to some other scam over there and was taken out by Russian Mafia or business rivals - well its a lot more effective (and cheaper) than tribunals I suppose. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

The thing is, he's not dancing on anyone's grave. He is simply stating fact, i.e. that Mr. Lawlor was corrupt as ****, and just cos he's dead doesn't mean we should forget all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Seraphina wrote:
    betcha he faked it so he doesn't suffer any more inquiries! :p

i'll take your bet in a brown envelope. correct money only no change given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Karma in my opinion.
    What goes around comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

^CwAzY^ wrote:
    Karma in my opinion.
    What goes around comes around.

..saved me the effort of typing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

A death is nothing to gloat over or mock. Even if you had problems with his career, as I did, you could at least show some respect.

nesf wrote:
    A death is nothing to gloat over or mock. Even if you had problems with his career, as I did, you could at least show some respect.

Why does a death always have to command respect? Did Hitler's death command respect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

^CwAzY^ wrote:
    Why does a death always have to command respect? Did Hitler's death command respect?

The respect is for his family and widowed wife.

Internet Chat Rule #1: All discussions inevitably descend into someone bringing up: nazis, Hitler or quantum mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

nesf wrote:
    Interent Chat Rule #1: All discussions inevitably descend into someone bringing up: nazis, Hitler or quantum mechanics.

it's sad cause it's true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'd like to say how sorry I am at Mr. Lawlor's death, but I have never lied to you before and I'm not starting now.

Ned Flanders:rolleyes:

Uh, yeah. Says the guy with the Chief Wiggum avatar.:rolleyes:
    nesf wrote:

Exactly. Instead people seem more interested in cracking jokes at the man's expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

so, by dying his past is forgotten and meaningless time honored sayings are brought into play "sadly missed", "a great man" and the usual. to be honest my heart goes out to his wife and children. they now have to suffer his funeral, his loss and bare the brunt of having his estate inspected, and /or confiscated from his mistakes in the past.
    A Ukrainian woman who was a back seat passenger was seriously injured and was taken to hospital.
    no age given..hmm. i wonder who she was?

cracking jokes at the man's expense.

Fúck him, he lived his life at my expense.

Hagar wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I will show respect if the deceased person deserves respect. nesf, if a man raped and killed your mother, sister, or daughter and then got shot dead the next day, would you show respect for his death? I show respect based on the actions that person did in their life. In Liam Lawlor's case, I am not going to show any respect because of the actions he carried out during his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

^CwAzY^ wrote:

Well De Valera did personally offer the german embassy his condolences. A lot of controversy back in the day. Couldn't be bothered digging up a link but take my word for it, it did happen.

I'm a bit surprised the way people are joking about him dying. I mean he never killed anybody, he was a crooked politician not a killer.

I mean he never killed anybody.

I wouldn't swear to that on a bible.
    After all the money that he ripped off may well have made a difference if it got to the health services. Maybe somebody died because budget cuts ment a piece of equipment wasn't there when it was needed.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote:

So he deserved to die in a car crash? Dear oh dear...:rolleyes:
    Well De Valera did personally offer the german embassy his condolences. A lot of controversy back in the day. Couldn't be bothered digging up a link but take my word for it, it did happen.

De Valera didn't do that out of respect for Hitler. He did it out of respect for Edouard Hempel who was German ambassador to Ireland and who cooperated with the Irish administration over our neutral position in the war. It was a foolish move on de Valera's part but was not done out of admiration and/or respect for Hitler.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement