Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Lawlor is dead

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You're a bit too politically correct for your own good Mr. Nice Guy. You need to get yourself some balls and be able to say what people really are. There is no point in being delusional. Death doesn't forgive a person of the wrongs they have done. In the same way if a person doesn't command respect in life then you are not obliged to repect him in death. It's wrong to say he deserved it but the vast majority of people here haven't said that. Liam Lawlor was a criminal in life and death doesn't change any of that. The biggest mistake would be to forget it all just because of a tragic accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Crazy Newbie

Pigman II wrote:
    Dies aged just 61 and he was going thru some hard stuff at the end. First there was the windscreen, then there was the lamppost.
    Utterly tasteless. Regardless of the bad things the man did in his life he is a human being and he has died leaving behind a wife and kids.

You're dead right. And so soon after the death :(

He should have waited till monday to post such a classic.
    Hagar wrote:
    I hope she got her money up front.:D
    Hagar wrote:
    The best part of this whole thread is that I get an email
    every few mins telling me "Liam Lawlor is dead".

I personally found those remarks distaseful and very very funny.
    Hagar wrote:
    @ Mr Nice Guy -
    Quote me all you want, I only say what I believe is true, I'm not a hypocrite like he was.

Sadly being a hypocrite is part of the human condition. Taking a brown envelope... or just parking on that double yellow line for a few mins.

No one who has lived past the age of being a child can never say they were "not a hypocrite"

Will they still play the classic Liam Gift grubs was my first thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Lisapeep wrote:
    This thread is becoming very insensitive, anyone want to do something about this?

Like locking the thread?:rolleyes:

From reading other sites Boards.ie has the reputation of being a very heavily policed set of bulletin boards. Not necessarily a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

If the Russian police say she was a hooker,it must be true.They never make mistakes,do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭kstanl

What's pathetic is this quote from you:

"he was a f**king scumbag who stole from us all and who, it turns out, may have been humping diseased whores behind his wife's back."

Why is that pathetic? He was a scumbag and, allegedly, he was shagging hookers. How is this stating this fact pathetic? Tell me because I'm really curious to know. Do you think that Liam Lawler's corruption was a 'slight hiccup' in an otherwise benevolent career or something?
    Actually no one pointed out why I am a hypocrite, just that I am one. If you can explain to me why I'm a hypocrite I'll gladly hear you out.:)

I guess you should have read the rest of the post before replying then. :rolleyes:
    Eh? I'm criticising the callous disregard shown to the man's family by certain people on this thread. Keep up.

How is there a callous disregard for his family? You think they read boards.ie? I haven't said anything negative about his family. I don't understand your logic at all I'm afraid.
    Raping of us as a nation? Dear oh dear.:rolleyes:

So he was innocent then? I wasn't aware of this. :rolleyes:
    LOL. Unbelievable.

A two-word, two-sentence reply. Superb. I suggest your pathetic debating skills would go down well in any tribunal.
    Most people don't need a time frame. They have enough decency and respect within themselves to be able give the man's family respect.

Okay, now you're talking ****e. What you seem to be suggesting is that 'decent people' shouldn't criticise deceased criminals and/or deceased corrupt politicians out of respect for their families? That's idiotic. Not only should people like Lawler be criticised and lambasted but we should never forget what he did - we should remember for the good of our country. Rather than being any more moral than me, I suspect you're probably a religious person with a docile and forgiving nature. I on the other hand am not and when justice is pissed away to save someone like Lawler, I would bear that grudge permanently in mind until the corruptions in our government are wiped out permanently.

Anyway, this is where I bail out. If you argue with hypocritical idiots they only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

As I say, your position is quite clear.

So you've resorted to making stuff up. Fair enough. Everyone see you for what you are.
    LOL.

Thats not a rebuttal. Where the fu*k do you get off claiming I wanted him dead.
    Your hypocrisy is evident. By the way, I love the irony of someone who cannot spell hypocrisy asking me if English is my second language. LOL!

No its not. See if I was a corrupt politican ranting about his corruption that'd be hyprocrisy. The concept just seems to fly far above your head. You can spell it you just don't understand it.

Resorting to insults is the last act of a failing argument although I think your argument failed long ago considering you argue that the man's family don't deserve our respect on the grounds that Lawlor didn't show them respect.:rolleyes:

What respect? Am I saying anything they and everyone else don't know? I'm just laughing at the two faced ness of your position.

And gimp boy keep saying insults is the last act of a failed argument, you may start to believe it yourself.
    You were putting words in my mouth. Sad that you resort to that.

Really Motherf*cker I double dare you to show that I wanted him dead. You cannot you're a small childish liar.
    I should hope not considering it was you who said:

"he didn't have much respect for his family, so why should I?"

Its a simple enough concept. The man lied cheated and stole his family were aware of this because much of his ill gotten gains were put in there name to protect them, this is not the first instance he's been found with eastern european prostitutes.

And you think they give a rats ass to what is said here? Why should I approve respect to people who haven't shown the irish people any respect.
    Ah the conspiracy theorists are in!

How's it a conspiracy theory muppet? The Moscow police identified her as a prostitute? Why would they lie?
    You mean you looked? That doesn't surprise me.:D

Almost funny.
    Actually no one pointed out why I am a hypocrite, just that I am one. If you can explain to me why I'm a hypocrite I'll gladly hear you out

Well it does seem like you have trouble understanding hypocrisy (though your spell check is in tip top condition) I'll spell it out for you, if Lawlor was injuried in the crash, or this was a week ago, you'd (well maybe not a nicegimp like you) be hard pressed to find a soul with a kind word about that corrupt bloated cheatng thief, now that he's worm food, everyone can't speak ill of him.

Does his death change his life no, but now we're not allowed mention what is common knowledge "out of respect". Thats dishonest, now unless you've always had your tongue firmly up the hole of Lawlor arse, and haven't ever expressed a degoritive opinion of the man, it is hyprocritcal to tell us to stop now "out of respect", when the only thing thats changed in the past two days is the chance of Lawlor recieving justice is gone. So thats hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Right lads lets draw a line here, the endless tennis-like disputes here aren't really going anywhere, if you have given your opinion thats fair enough. There's no point continuing to argue because neither side is prepared to back down, which is fair enough.

If anyone wants to bring new links or stories to the thread that should be grand but there's no point getting upset and bitter about it, regardless of what you thought of Liam Lawlor or other posters in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

kstanl wrote:
    Why is that pathetic? He was a scumbag and, allegedly, he was shagging hookers. How is this stating this fact pathetic? Tell me because I'm really curious to know. Do you think that Liam Lawler's corruption was a 'slight hiccup' in an otherwise benevolent career or something?

It's pathetic because it's totally insensitive and horribly timed.
    kstanl wrote:
    I guess you should have read the rest of the post before replying then. :rolleyes:

Translation - you have no evidence that I am a hypocrite.
    kstanl wrote:
    How is there a callous disregard for his family? You think they read boards.ie? I haven't said anything negative about his family.

You are the guy who said:

"he was a f**king scumbag who stole from us all and who, it turns out, may have been humping diseased whores behind his wife's back"

You don't think the above shows a callous disregard for his family?
    kstanl wrote:
    So he was innocent then?

You seem unable or unwilling to see my point.
    kstanl wrote:
    A two-word, two-sentence reply. Superb. I suggest your pathetic debating skills would go down well in any tribunal.

Sorry my replies don't meet your high standards. Replying to people on this thread is like writing an essay. As for my pathetic debating skills, at least I can comprehend what is being said.:rolleyes:
    kstanl wrote:
    Okay, now you're talking ****e.

Wow you are truly a wonderful debater.:rolleyes:
    kstanl wrote:
    What you seem to be suggesting is that 'decent people' shouldn't criticise deceased criminals and/or deceased corrupt politicians out of respect for their families? That's idiotic.

Decent people don't feel the need to dance on a person's grave. It's not idiotic, it's called having class.
    kstanl wrote:
    Not only should people like Lawler be criticised and lambasted but we should never forget what he did - we should remember for the good of our country.

No one is advocating that we forget what he did. What some of us (like myself) have advocated is that you at least wait a short while before tearing into a man who has left this world only recently.
    kstanl wrote:
    Anyway, this is where I bail out. If you argue with hypocritical idiots they only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Judging by your own debating skills, it seems you have argued with quite a few hypocritical idiots in the past. I think I'll take your advice myself however.
    black_jack wrote:
    So you've resorted to making stuff up. Fair enough. Everyone see you for what you are.

I've made nothing up. I've called a spade a spade.

Your hypocrisy is evident. By the way, I love the irony of someone who cannot spell hypocrisy asking me if English is my second language. LOL!
    black_jack wrote:
    No its not. See if I was a corrupt politican ranting about his corruption that'd be hyprocrisy. The concept just seems to fly far above your head. You can spell it you just don't understand it.

Your hypocrisy has been documented on this thread. I don't think the concept flies over my head. I can both spell it and understand it.
    Resorting to insults is the last act of a failing argument although I think your argument failed long ago considering you argue that the man's family don't deserve our respect on the grounds that Lawlor didn't show them respect.
    black_jack wrote:
    What respect? Am I saying anything they and everyone else don't know? I'm just laughing at the two faced ness of your position.

Yet again you show a deplorable and ignorant attitude towards the man's family. And by the way, I'm laughing at someone who writes 'two faced ness' particularly accusing me of it!
    black_jack wrote:
    And gimp boy keep saying insults is the last act of a failed argument, you may start to believe it yourself.

Keep talking mate. It just shows you've lost the argument.:)
    black_jack wrote:
    Really Motherf*cker I double dare you to show that I wanted him dead. You cannot you're a small childish liar.

'Motherf*cker' now? I hope the Mods are reading this trash.
    black_jack wrote:
    And you think they give a rats ass to what is said here?

I hope his family are not reading. Your comments are beneath contempt.
    black_jack wrote:
    How's it a conspiracy theory muppet? The Moscow police identified her as a prostitute? Why would they lie?

More insults.:rolleyes:

I'm done trying to speak sense to a guy who doesn't think Mr Lawlor's family deserve respect - on the grounds that Lawlor didn't respect them. The sheer idiocy and hypocrisy associated with that just boggles the mind.

No doubt you'll have plenty to say. (insults, that is)

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Right lads lets draw a line here, the endless tennis-like disputes here aren't really going anywhere, if you have given your opinion thats fair enough. There's no point continuing to argue because neither side is prepared to back down, which is fair enough.

If anyone wants to bring new links or stories to the thread that should be grand but there's no point getting upset and bitter about it, regardless of what you thought of Liam Lawlor or other posters in the thread.

That wasn't the least bit condescending. Honestly. :p

Decent people don't feel the need to dance on a person's grave. It's not idiotic, it's called having class.
    What some of us (like myself) have advocated is that you at least wait a short while before tearing into a man who has left this world only recently.

Like I said, you're a hypocrite. Goodbye. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

black_jack banned for personal abuse.

kstanl wrote:
    That wasn't the least bit condescending. Honestly. :p

Why? I was honestly trying to be neutral and save some people a banning but it looks like I'm too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

DISGRACE to a lot of people today.A man lies dead ,he did many things which i got very annoyed about,but the way his death has been reported makes me sick.We all have seen the headlines this morning he wasnt even cold.

DISGRACE to a lot of people today.A man lies dead ,he did many things which i got very annoyed about,but the way his death has been reported makes me sick.We all have seen the headlines this morning he wasnt even cold.

Why is it a disgrace to criticise him today and perfectly acceptable this time last week? Has your opinion of him changed now that he is dead? What does that say about you? Despite the best efforts of some of the less capable contributors to this thread, I don't think anyone is suggesting he deserved to die. Nor is anyone saying that his tragic death is in anyway a good thing. Unfortunately Liam Lawler wasn't a very well-liked man and rightly so in my opinion. Should we not mention this now because he has died in a tragic accident? If so, at what stage in the future is it 'okay' for us to discuss his wrong-doings again without being condemned to the eternal fires of hell in the afterlife? Should I consult a priest on this matter? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry folks, but if you don't see the hypocritical nature of the 'oh, he just died... we should only be digging up one kind of dirt at this moment in time' argument then, well, you're not a very honest person.

Ksantl? he was not with a prostitute.Read my post again.

We don't know for sure yet. We may never know for sure.

:eek: :cool:

What is that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

His death will probably end up with conspiracy theories.Someone bumped him off over what he did in past etc....

What Joe said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Liam is probably having a natter with Reggie Perrin and John Stonehouse at this very moment. Maybe Lord Lucan is there too.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

taken from:
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2000/10/15/story176713138.asp

Lawlor has been asked to explain a number of matters in detailed correspondence
    with the tribunal, including:

his receipt of £3,500 per month for about ten months from Arlington Securities
    from May 1988

his receipt from 1991 of amounts up to £48,500 from Frank Dunlop, who acted on
    behalf of property developer Owen O'Callaghan

his involvement in the rezoning of Quarryvale in May 1991

his receipt of other money from Dunlop

his business relationship with three unnamed businessmen who were engaged in
    developments in north, west and south Dublin

his knowledge of bribes to politicians

his receipt of £74,000 from National Toll Roads in the early 1990s

his alleged presentation of fa'ke invoices from companies for alleged goods
    and services that he did not provide.

[Lawlor's involvement in M50 Toll Bridge. (My favourite bridge)

Lawlor's work for National Toll Roads is also fascinating, with
    Lawlor
    claiming that he prepared a consultancy report for the company on
    its plans to build a toll bridge across the Liffey.

Tenders were sought by Dublin County Council for the project in 1987.

After winning the contract National Toll Roads began construction in 1988.

The bridge was opened by then taoiseach Charles Haughey in March 1990.]

For people to say anything nice about this guy, is an insult to the good people out there.

But still, I will always feel sorry for children who lose their father, unless he harmed them.

It's weird, if he had been in jail now, he may not have died in a car crash.:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    We don't know for sure yet. We may never know for sure.

he was with one of his staff, is that not good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

black_jack wrote:
    he didn't have much respect for his family, so why should I?

Your rationing is seriously flawed here. Do you see why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1024/lawlorl.html Lying scumbag Journos! :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the indo didn't cover themselves in glory either, even today, they have 'mystery women vanishes' where their definition of vanishing is to check out of your hotel without leaving a forwarding address... apparently I have 'vanished' from hundreds of hotels...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Yes, true, what someone has done in their lifetimes governs how other people will look upon them, during their life and after their death. And no we should not forget about what Liam Lawlor or anyone else has done. However, at the end of the day, a human life has been lost. Therefore the first reactions to a tragic event like this should not be along the lines of "He was a lying stealing c**t". As a mark of respect for the loss of human life and the effect it would have on his loved ones, people should reserve their negative outbursts for a more appropriate time.

It can be very easy to show such blunt and uncompromising points of view on an internet messaging board, but I doubt if you were face to face with his family you would be composing yourself in the same way, at least I hope you wouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The irony surrounding this is simply beautiful.

If Lawlor had been properly dealt with by the Irish justice system he'd be happily slopping out his cell in Mountjoy right now instead of dead in dubious circumstances in Moscow (though as the most corrupt place in the world, it's perhaps an apt place for Lawlor to have met his maker).

I also find it ironic that a man who cheated and robbed the Irish taxpayer has probably saved us money in his death. With the tribunal winding up quicker now, it should save us a bundle in solicitors and barristers fees.

As for the details of his companion; interpreter, my arse. I'll take the word of the Moscow police over the press secretary of the Irish embassy who no doubt owed favours to the golden circle Lawlor belonged to.

Of course I feel sympathy for his wife and children. He put them through a lot in life and it would appear he's done so in death now too I'm sure his family and I wouldn't wish the grief they're suffering now on anyone.

That said, I can't help but feel this country is better off without him. His death is just bringing the corruption of this country back into the spotlight. If we lived in a land where our justice system was built around arrests, trials and convictions, Lawlor would be alive today. Unfortunately for his family (though they hardly thought so at the time) we "live in a land where justice is a game" that almost seems to be designed to line the pockets of the country's legal profession while returning no more than the dogs in the street could have told us in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Liam Lawler is not dead. This is an outrageous accusation against Liam Lawler.

rofl :D

• Advertisement

Given what the Independent newspapers have done, I would at least expect the editor to step down. Not even people of Liam Lawlors low morals deserve what they have done to him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement