Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Lawlor killed in moscow car crash

Options
  • 22-10-2005 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

I have just after getting a Vodafone news alert fromThe Irish times saying Former TD Liam Lawlor killed in car crash near Moscow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Have been looking at RTE news site - they won't say who it is yet. Obviously waiting on confirmation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Irish man dies in Moscow car crash
    22/10/2005 - 13:42:21

An Irishman has been killed in a car crash in Russia, the Department for Foreign Affairs said today.

A spokesman for the department said the man was killed in a car accident overnight in the Russian capital, Moscow.

He said the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Irish Embassy in Moscow were providing consular assistance to the family of the man.

There were no further details about the situation, he said.
    http://breaking.tcm.ie/2005/10/22/story226683.html

no word who it was though

TodayFM news at 2:00pm said that Liam Lawlor had been injured in a "serious" car crash. They possibly jumped the gun.

I've edited the thread title to reflect the uncertainty.

It can be changed later by either a mod or the thread starter when we know more.

Incidently Regardless of what ones views are on the actions of Liam Lawlor-please bear in mind that this is a personal tragedy for a family so please don't use this thread insensitively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

[Mod edit] Discussion please and nothing else here [/edit]

Murphaph please heed my warning.
    I'm editing your post.

If you wish to discuss a dead mans wrongs please do so in a constructive manner.

I'm not saying dont give your opinion on his actions and life,I'm requesting that you do so mindfull of the fact that there is a family involved in this.

One line posts like he was a bollíx etc will not be tollerated as its not discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah just seen it now, i wonder when pictures will be released?

Fair enough earthman, I started to write my post before your initial warning was up.

The man helped create the suburban misery that is west Dublin and did so purely to line his own pockets. He may be dead, but his legacy will live on in the form of a gridlocked N4, M50 and every distributor road in Lucan for the forseeable future. He was symptomatic of everything that is/was wrong with irish politicians who seem to think they're better than the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

murphaph wrote:

The man helped create the suburban misery that is west Dublin.

suburban misery?

Look West Dublin is no Pakistan that is suffering real misery because of the earth quake.

This was a tragedy. I am sorry for the Lawlor family on the loss of Liam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Commiserations to the Lawlor family, He was an entertaining character and I enjoyed the way he showed pure contempt for the public especially when he was jailed, the whole thing was comical :D Typical Fianna Failure, He will be remembered as a corrupt politician still though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Sympathies for his family , R.I.P Liam Lawlor.

Cork wrote:
    Look West Dublin is no Pakistan that is suffering real misery because of the earth quake.
    Everything is relative though Cork! Pakistan is no mass extinction by meteor impact, it's all relative. We could apply your thinking to everything and compare our country to a third world one all the time and sure then it looks grand and what are we complaining about when only a few people die eah year because the health service failed them?!

Liam Lawlor's family were complicit in his misdeeds were they not? Didn't he sign property over to them to help cover his tracks? (allegedly) If some sumbag drug dealer was shot last night nobody would care and there'd be no "poor drug dealer posts", so why should we not apply the same criterion to this individual who has also "done time" for inflicting misery on west Dublin families? A different kind of greed-driven misery, but misery nonetheless.

I wouldn't post in sympathy of the family of a murdered drug dealer so I won't post in sympathy of this individual who spent years laughing at the plebs in their traffic jams that he helped create with his corrupt ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

From RTE:

The former Fianna Fáil TD, Liam Lawlor, has been killed in a car crash in Moscow.

Mr Lawlor was a passenger in the car which hit a street lamp in Himki in northern Moscow.

The Mercedes car had been travelling from the city's main airport when the accident happened at around 1am local time.
    The driver of the car, believed to be a local man, was also killed.

A Ukrainian woman who was a back seat passenger was seriously injured and was taken to hospital.

The 61-year-old is survived by his wife Hazel, his three sons and a daughter.

Mr Lawlor served as a TD for Dublin West over 25 years. He will be chiefly remembered for his involvement in recent planning controversies. He spent time in Mountjoy Jail on a number of occasions for failure to co-operate with the Flood Tribunal.

The Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, has said that he was shocked to learn of the untimely death of Liam Lawlor, and has extended his sympathy to Mr Lawlor's wife and family.

He described Mr Lawlor as an engaging, witty and larger than life character. He added that he was a man with a keen intellect with strong views, which he was never afraid to articulate trenchantly.

Fine Gael leader, Enda Kenny, has also expressed his deepest sympathy to the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

What a terrible way to go for anybody, no matter what they've done.
    Condolences to his familly.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/story.asp?j=119019075&p=yy9xy96xx&n=119019677&x=

this gives us a taste of what will surface over the next few days - if we just listen to that we could be forgiven for not realising that this was a man jailed on two occasions for contempt (and not some righteous crusader).

Imagine what it will be like when Haughe goes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

daveirl wrote:

I was thinking the same ... private car and mystery woman in the back, newspaper reporters will be busy trying to suss out a story here.

daveirl wrote:
    Probably rezoning some land for them. Nothing that man did would surprise me, his arrogance knew no bounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Gemsbok15

How should and how will the media treat his death though.
    Will the Sindo and others use the libel lift to trawl through all his deeds, will rumours and innuendo now be published that couldn't have been before and will the rumour mill go into overdrive over the circumstances of the car crash. Surely there should be a period of sensitivity towards his family until at least after his funeral. As a person he appears to have been humourous and interesting, as a hurler very good he was a great servant of Dublin & Leinster Hurling, and as a politician the less said the better, at least for the time being out of courtesy to his family. Condolences to his friends, family, daughter, sons and wife.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Can you smell that in the air?? Smells like Karma.

Lets hope all his past misdeeds come to light - and those that helped him are found out and prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Smells like karma?

Yea he deserved to die that way for being corrupt...

Listen, he did bad, many people do bad, and a lot worse...

Don't forget that...

RIP

Seriously can we have a bit respect for the dead, its the least the ppl can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

netwhizkid wrote:
    Commiserations to the Lawlor family, He was an entertaining character and I enjoyed the way he showed pure contempt for the public especially when he was jailed, the whole thing was comical :D Typical Fianna Failure, He will be remembered as a corrupt politician still though.

are you for real? On one thread you're calling for FF to be banned and on another you're calling one of their greatest criminals a "entertaining character"
    WDK wrote:
    Seriously can we have a bit respect for the dead, its the least the ppl can do.

Respect for a man who abused public office for personal profit, showed contempt for the law, and the people he was supposed to serve?

I love this country some times, yesterday he was a criminal and a bounder, now he's worthy of our respect.

So frickin what the man is dead there is no point of trampling on the mans proverbial grave.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

there are many a family suffering financial trouble because of this criminal's actions to line his own pockets and those of his associates. he is/was no better than some of the lowest of dublin's underworld and deserves no public reprieve for his actions.

many good law abiding people have had tragedies like this and worse than it sprung upon them, and people like Mr. Lawlor would simply appear at funerals to boost their own political following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

It's hyprocritical to show any more or less respect to someone when they die than you did when they were alive.

I can't say that many people had respect for lawlor when he was alive, so i would treat with great suspicion anyone who claims to now. As netwhizkid pointed out, his actions were quite hilariously arrogant and evil.

And who cares about that family anyway? The man was 61 and one of the most reviled men in the country, it's hardly going to give them a heart attack. And it's not as if they're reading our posts anyhow. And if they are then they obviously don't care about the fecker. A stiff whiskey will have them fine no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

WDK wrote:
    So frickin what the man is dead there is no point of trampling on the mans proverbial grave.

So frickin what?

Well said Red Alert. this ah jaysus we can't speak ill of the fella now he's dead is nonsense pure nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,077 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Maybe this thread should be moved to personal issues where people can post their commiserations if a discussion of his corrupt life is out of bounds.

Advertisement