Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ucd's mystery locations?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Careful now. I think the point is we'll all enjoy our jobs some people want an office, others a blackboard and so on. We all filled out our own CAO's after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I think we should leave this one open in case any of you get adventurous a go check out the tunnels.

However, anymore Arts/Commerce rants and there will be ass-whoopings! ;)

Well youve already ruined my life peachypants

ya mean threadkiller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Well youve already ruined my life peachypants

ya mean threadkiller

Ah the spamtasticness had to be stopped! I can move it to the Thunderdome if you like? That way it can live on.

**Edit** Crap!!! I moved it before I unlocked it! I'll PM Regi.

Nah its done now, lets not denegrate that wonderful thread by sending it to the loonybin. May the parcels and cleavage rest in peace

weep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Careful now.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

any one have a copy of that map still?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭chrissor

Ha I'm glad someone posted something, I was afraid to revive a thread after 3 and a half years!

I just read through the whole thing, its a shame that the thread kind of tailed off into off topic rubbish at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

map? pics? anyone?

The maps, pics were all put on this forum a long time ago. Boards.ie is a public forum and well known to UCD administration who often keep an eye on it . One boards.ie user was dragged into the Tierney building once because of something he posted here. The maps are gone and will not be coming back.

This thread saddens me as its funny. Good times. In other news the map of the tunnels exists .. in my head but for the record going to the top of the water tower is a hell of alot more fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Grimes wrote: »
    The maps, pics were all put on this forum a long time ago. Boards.ie is a public forum and well known to UCD administration who often keep an eye on it . One boards.ie user was dragged into the Tierney building once because of something he posted here. The maps are gone and will not be coming back.

This thread saddens me as its funny. Good times. In other news the map of the tunnels exists .. in my head but for the record going to the top of the water tower is a hell of alot more fun.

Theyre not actually, i saw them on a thread about 4 weeks ago. They still remain

Theyre not actually, i saw them on a thread about 4 weeks ago. They still remain

i stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

which thread is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Grimes wrote: »

top of the water tower?! no way! any chance of pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

Ah my thread lives on. Pity I'm not still on the same user account. Probably still have that old map on my laptop somewhere, I'll have a look and repost it if I can. I'm long gone from UCD so no worries about gettin in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

iamnothim wrote: »
    Ah my thread lives on. Pity I'm not still on the same user account. Probably still have that old map on my laptop somewhere, I'll have a look and repost it if I can. I'm long gone from UCD so no worries about gettin in trouble.

That be great.

PM or email if you can't post it up here publicly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 EthanWM

I dunno if this has already been said because the thread is so long, but the tunnels were constructed during the 70's while the student riots were occuring. It was so teachers could pass freely from place to place. It now holds a maximum penalty of expulsion from the college if you are caught in the tunnels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It might not have been said, but that would be because it's completely untrue. The tunnels are there for electricity and water and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Any chance of getting these maps by PM? Just for the laugh, don't actually intend going down them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Me too, if you still have it, that'd be epic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

There's a giant orchard. I got apples there the other day (windfalls...) and ran straight into the security guard on his break on the way out. He actually thought it was funny.

And there's a weird dump full of old furniture and loads of different plastic-wrapped magazines with the British royal family on the fronts.

I've always wanted to get into that old film studies building. When is it open? It could look so nice if they turned the pumps on and de-stagnanted the ponds in front of it.

That massive pit in the woods by the dual carriageway is also strange. What is that? Anyone? I can't think of any reason they'd dig such a huge useless hole in the ground. The trees inside it are quite old too, must be there since they moved here.

I think the biodiversity park behind vet is under rated. It's lovely for a walk at lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

EthanWM wrote: »
    I dunno if this has already been said because the thread is so long, but the tunnels were constructed during the 70's while the student riots were occuring. It was so teachers could pass freely from place to place. It now holds a maximum penalty of expulsion from the college if you are caught in the tunnels.

What a load of nonsense - the tunnels are service tunnels, for as said above, electricity and other such services. My school and my girlfriend's school were designed by the same architect as the early buildings at UCD - we had the same tunnels and the same urban myths about their existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I was reading the UCD magazine yesterday in the barbers, **** knows why the grafton barber has it, but the crazy bitch cutting my hair seemed to know I was in UCD.

Anyway in it there was some information on the rumours surrounding the presence of tunnels under the campus. Apparently a reporter saw massive piping going in (the kind that would take sewerage and wiring) and rang the architect who was some 27 Polish lad. Anyway the story I was reading says the architect was a bit of a joker, so when asked "was it a secret tunnel to help the staff escape in the case of a riot" he replied "Yes, it goes to a mini submarine hidden in the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Maps maps maps :D

There is something almost mythical about the tunnels that makes me giddy :P

I really should start exploring the campus on my 3 hours breaks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Maps maps maps :D

There is something almost mythical about the tunnels that makes me giddy :P

I really should start exploring the campus on my 3 hours breaks...

I have the map somewhere

I'll meet you after maths monday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 calmoo

Luckily I saved the map for good use, so here it is reuploaded. Make sure to save it yourself and make copies of it, we don't want it being lost.
    http://filesmelt.com/downloader/UCDTunnels.jpg

And I know of a certain entrance that is open at the moment, if you'd like to know just PM me. Good hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

excellent! i couldnt find it at all on my computer. man, i put a lot of work into that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

lizzyvera wrote: »

That massive pit in the woods by the dual carriageway is also strange. What is that? Anyone? I can't think of any reason they'd dig such a huge useless hole in the ground. The trees inside it are quite old too, must be there since they moved here.

The land there wasn't always flat, it used to slope down to the road. They built it up using all the earth they took out when digging out the lake.

I think anyway..do you mean the carpark area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 06621121

Can we all please form a society together??
    We could take pulse security.. who are a shower of b@~@~*78776@s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 06621121

Once fould a canoe in the secret lake, when we eventually got it out bottom had completely rotted. Bad buzz

Advertisement