Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Spider Specimen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

My school was infested with those little 8 legs on the first day back. First bathroom I came past, I heard a scream and a group of 2nd years rushing out of the ladie's, looking mighty frightened. I laughed until I went inside and saw a nasty big bugger in the first sink. A little bit bigger then the OP's fiendish friend.
    Then in the next sink there was a bigger one, and in the last and 3rd sink, as you guessed it, a bigger one. I'm not normally scared of spiders, but they just freaked the crap outta me.

Apparently they had crawled up from the pipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Theres a newer thread re these in Animals & Pets
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054982518

(Mods, feel free to merge if wanted).

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

abetarrush wrote:
    Jus be happy its not a Goliath!

goliath-plate.gif

Yes, thats a dinner plate!

gosh but that is scary!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

turbot wrote:
    I'm guessing you didn't know it's bad luck to kill spiders.
    Can't be :) I always kill spiders and never have bad luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

So the Doom Spider invasion has begun. Good luck to all.

/reaches for shotgun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

K, last week I saw a huge spider in me sittin room, and I was real paro abt where it was all week

So last night, i saw one in the jax, and i was like ok, its here, killed it, tot that was the end

was jus in the sittin room and the huge fvcker was on the curtain!

I went t get me cam but it was gone when i got back, so now the paro is back, and worse than ever, ITS FVCKIN HUGE!

It's body is about 2 x 1 inches, and its legs are really thick and hairy

dont wana go in the sittin room, EVER AGAIN!

seriously, wtf is goin on will all the spiders

EDIT: Jus saw another one like the one i killed last night! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!!! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

WellyJ wrote:
    Thats so very strange,

I would have killed that long ago, the thoughts of him crawling in my mouth while sleeping would keep me up at night.

They do afaik , they crawl to the edge of your mouth looking for a tiny bit of moisture to keep them going , but most of them get too close and your swallowing reflex kicks in .... i think the average is about 11 or 12 a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

yup

and not to mention the ones ye eat that are in food

The crawl around the ceilin over the food, accidents happen

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

turbot wrote:
    I'm guessing you didn't know it's bad luck to kill spiders.
    I'd take a bit of bad luck over Mrs Billy keeping me awake all night being terrified of the beggars.
    turbot wrote:
    You're neither cool nor smart showing that you mamed something thats smaller than you.
    I did not profess to being either smart or cool. The pic was posted to illustrate the size of the spider.
    turbot wrote:
    If that was a puppy or kitten, and you crushed it because you didn't understand it, you'd get lynched.
    I'm guessing you didn't know it's bad luck to lynch people.
    turbot wrote:
    I guess you have some growing up to do, and compassion to learn.
    She who is without sin may cast the first stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

bushy... wrote:
    They do afaik , they crawl to the edge of your mouth looking for a tiny bit of moisture to keep them going , but most of them get too close and your swallowing reflex kicks in .... i think the average is about 11 or 12 a year
    That's just a myth, I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Compassion for spiders?!?!
    That's priceless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

yeah,, some nights i come in and turn the light on,, and ****ing bugs the size of dinner plates are running across my wall,,, talk about messing your head up,,, how are ya meant to sleep with a low flying albatross flying around your lampshade

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The trick for that, Package, I find is to turn off the light and light a candle.
    Anything that flies near enough to it won't be a problem anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

ahhh he looks like your avrage rafter spider.
    normally find them in attics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I am getting the buggers in my house aswell.
    I hate them, and my wife is petrified of them also.

So, I am gonna get one of these:
    http://www.spidercatcher.net/EU/home.htm

Not affiliated, blah, blah. Apparently this was invented by an Irish guy. I like it because I even hate cleaning up the remains left after I have hurled a boot/book/table from about 5 meters away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

prospect wrote:
    I am getting the buggers in my house aswell.
    I hate them, and my wife is petrified of them also.

So, I am gonna get one of these:
    http://www.spidercatcher.net/EU/home.htm

Not affiliated, blah, blah. Apparently this was invented by an Irish guy. I like it because I even hate cleaning up the remains left after I have hurled a boot/book/table from about 5 meters away.

From what I hear its not that great, apparently the bristles are'nt really effective if the spider is too big or too small. (I know it claims to be a one size fits all device). Plus, you have to factor in actually "catching" these feckers, dunno bout you but mine seem to move the speed of light.
    In fact (cant find the link but Ill look later), the large house spider we are getting in this country is the 2nd fastest spider in the world! :eek:

[edit: found link] Tegenaria gigantea, center pic, about halfway down the page [/edit]

B

From what I hear its not that great, apparently the bristles are'nt really effective if the spider is too big or too small. (I know it claims to be a one size fits all device). Plus, you have to factor in actually "catching" these feckers, dunno bout you but mine seem to move the speed of light.
    In fact (cant find the link but Ill look later), the large house spider we are getting in this country is the 2nd fastest spider in the world! :eek:

[edit: found link] Tegenaria gigantea, center pic, about halfway down the page [/edit]

B

I'll let you guys know how I get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

As someone that breaks out into a cold sweat when one is in the room, I've one word for you......

Hoover!

I don't own a hoover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

prospect wrote:
    I don't own a hoover.

Nor do I, but I do have a vacuum cleaner.

• Advertisement

Nor do I, but I do have a vacuum cleaner.

Bingo...

Anyhow, it is too akward and troublesome to go and untangle the 'vacuum cleaner' from under the stairs, unwind the cord and plug it in, attach the hose and the top bit then switch it on. The spider would have reproduced tenfold by the time I was ready to kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

that spider is not big have a look at my site and see some of the spiders i have in my bedroom one thing i do notice in the pic is there are paterns on it very nice if only we could see past our totally stupid fears of spiders i mean some of u on this thread act as if unless we kill it it is going to eat us hehehe in the worst case sinario some of my spiders can inject venom in u like a snake but its not going to kill u just hurt so please cop on dont kill them just push it away any let it on its way anyway the site is www.thepetspider.com have look if u dare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I got into the shower this morning and heard a strange tapping noise, I found out, to my horror, it was a massive mother f*cker climbing up the shower curtain. my voice caught in my throat so all I managed to sound was a frightened grumble, not unlike Sideshow Bob's annoyed grumble. it was one of these fellas http://hobospider.org/gigantea.jpg

I have some pics of him on my phone, will upload them later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

holy sh1t... *shudder*

here's the picture I took

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

dont mind spidrs so much , they eat flys/moths and the like

I don't usually mind them either, but this was a bit much to be greeted with in the morning. I thought the whole 'spiders are getting bigger over here' was a myth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

It's not long now till September, thats when my place gets invaded by horny house spiders looking a mate.

I had a dream one night that there was a spider on my arm, I woke up and then suddenly realised I wasnt dreaming. ugh !

I was also looking at a webpage from the US where people keep trapdoor, wolf and other spiders as pets ?? mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The Bollox wrote:
    here's the picture I took

He's missin a leg!
    Does he have you to thank for that?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

... They won't hurt you, you know. In fact they'll get rid of flies. Leave the wee fellers alone ;)

Advertisement