Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Spider Specimen

Options
  • 28-08-2005 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

Like many other houses we've been waging war on the big spider invaders over the past year or two (I don't ever remember seeing anything bigger than your common house spider prior to that), equipped with a hoover and a strong stamping motion. As a result, we've had less occasions of spotting them running across the floor at night like mini scorpions. Last night, however, I was reading a book in bed when movement at the edge of the curtain caught my eye. Having them in the sitting room/hall downstairs is bad enough but I hate finding the bastards in my room. I flipped around the curtain and, sure, enough, found the biggest specimen I had ever encountered.

He seemed too stunned to move and was kind enough to remain in place while I pinned the curtain behind the radiator with a large dictionary and went to get my camera.

Picture one shows him from the far side of my bed.

Picture two shows him in close up.

Picture 3 shows him after he met one of the works of Nietzsche at high velocity, with a 2 euro coin for scale.

I'm not sure the photos do the size of him justice, and I'm sure some will have seen similar sized arachnids in their homes (never mind abroad), but it's hard to describe the instinctual revulsion one feels when finding it crawling up the wall beside one's bed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Oh Jesus, It's an effort for me to look at those pics. I fúcking hate spiders. I'm so glad I'm not in your situation.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had one that looked roughly the same size in the sink in my shed the other day. You could nearly see the individual hairs on its back. Where are all these coming from? I certainly don't remember spiders that big being particularly common until the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I am also disturbed by the drastic increase in the large spider population over the past few years.

Thing is the speed these ferocious beast can achieve. They dart across the kitchen floor like lightning.

Generally the only weapon I can summon is my trusty slipper by which many such monsters have met their fate.

Can't wait till Winter when there's more of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

That's a big spider... but hey, I'd rather them in my house than those horrible dirty rotten flies... of which there seems to be millions lately..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

grimloch wrote:
    Can't wait till Winter when there's more of them....

Does there be more in the winter? Damn. I hate the things. That spider in those pics would have left me very alarmed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

bastards says i

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

There was a huge one in my kitchen yesterday, bigger than that one even. Crazy looking. I remember waking up feeling something on my leg. I kicked out and heard something drop on the floor. Turned on the light, massive spider :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv caught 2 of that size crawling on me in the past. The first time I got out of bed put on a t-shirt from the ground and went in to the bath room. Looked in the mirror and it was on my cheek! Scared the **** out of me, it was like somthing out of a horror movie.

2nd time I got out of bed put on a t-shirt from the ground and went in to the bath room. I felt soming on the back of my neck and slapped it. It squelshed in my hand...

The other day We caught one in the house as big as that one but black with a bigger body and thicker leggs. He was black not brown as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Had to remove one from a friend's shower. Much the same size as OP's pets although quite slow moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

when I saw the first pic of the wanker I thought it was the same type that I saw a little over a week ago while playing the X-box in my bro's room, the bastard ran out from under the bed and darted all over the floor, and I had only socks on my feet, but when it came to a stand still I got some tissue and ****ed him out the window.

however he didn't have the same body as that one, it was more narrow, that one there would have made me crap my pants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Does there be more in the winter? Damn. I hate the things. That spider in those pics would have left me very alarmed!

I believe so, well in my residence at least. There was definately more large spiders in the house during the cold months than Summer.

Plus my dog has grown out of eating them so I have to fend them off by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

That 2nd pic is HORRIBLE......would not have liked to have faced that thing.

Its why I always ensure there is a golden pages handy exactly for the likes of him and his freinds and family should they decide to vist :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

pansies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

impr0v wrote:
    Picture 3 shows him after he met one of the works of Nietzsche at high velocity, with a 2 euro coin for scale.

What? He speed read it and commited suicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Marts wrote:
    when I saw the first pic of the wanker I thought it was the same type that I saw a little over a week ago while playing the X-box in my bro's room

For one brief and interesting moment, I thought you saw a spider playing the X-box in your brother's room.

What a let down ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

Wtf kind of a spider is that one i nthe OP`s pics? :eek: Fookin hell, never seen anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Steven wrote:
    What? He speed read it and commited suicide?

Dude, that humour is waaaayyy to high brow for this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You wouldnt believe what i been growing in the garage , its at least 2 inches in diameter, i feed him flies and he likes hem.

Gonna unleash him on the world one day....

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

*gives a steriotypical horror movie scream*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

While I was reading this thread, my cat spotted a daddy long-legs on the ceiling above my head! :eek: Not quite as meaty as the spider in the pictures, but infinitely more disgusting, if I might say so myself. I'm growing fonder of my cat every day... Some day I'm gonna train him to eat bumble bees, then I will charge people who want to avail of the service he provides. 'FED UP COWERING IN FEAR? SAY GOODBYE TO DADDY LONG-LEGS' AND BEES, FOR ONLY €49.99!'

I may be able to take early retirement once news of this spreads around :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Optimus

Ow god damn thats frreaky.
    I shal now no longer sleep. From this moment onwards i will never sleep.

Do spiders like the damp and dislike warm dry places?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

We get spiders even bigger than that one. it's the thing i hate about this time of year. they always start appearing around mid to late august and all through september. really huge ones. saw first one above bathroom sink a couple of weeks ago. had me screaming it was so big. God, i hate them. and you have to kill them cos if you just hoover them up they crawl back out a few minutes later :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Jesus... did you check his pocket for a return flight ticket to the amazon?! (and other spider valuables)

Geiger wrote:
    (and other spider valuables)
    Like peanut butter? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Those spiders are as commom as crap everywhere now, its scary. My sister found one actually inside her bed. I've seen a few run across the sitting room floor like lightning.

My dogs catch and kill them when they can, but they can't catch up with some of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah, bleedin' forign spiders comin' in here, takin' our jobs and our women.
    We like our cute little Irish spiders thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 doyly

Jesus Christ i hate spiders, and having been away from boards for a while im regretting returning since this is the first thread i`ve read. If that huge spider was any where near me i think i would freeze............

Crap i wont sleep tonight. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

doyly wrote:
    Jesus Christ i hate spiders, and having been away from boards for a while im regretting returning since this is the first thread i`ve read. If that huge spider was any where near me i think i would freeze............

Crap i wont sleep tonight. :(

He might crawl into your brain whilst you sleep, and before you know it, he'll have planted dozens of little slimy eggs, and will crawl out again. You'll start getting headaches, light headed, extreme migranes, until one day you will start bleeding from the nose, the ear, and the eye, as they squeeze out of you, pulsating maggots swarming over your face amid a storm of flowing blood and gore.

He might crawl into your brain whilst you sleep, and before you know it, he'll have planted dozens of little slimy eggs, and will crawl out again. You'll start getting headaches, light headed, extreme migranes, until one day you will start bleeding from the nose, the ear, and the eye, as they squeeze out of you, pulsating maggots swarming over your face amid a storm of flowing blood and gore.
    Thats utter bullcrap, everyone knows their eggs arent slimy.

Pfft,Some people these days :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I`m not frightened of spiders, why did you have to kill it?, could a piece of paper and a glass have done. I prefer spiders to those pesky flies that are every where.

Advertisement