Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Spider Specimen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

dublindude wrote:
    If my cat can eat them, so can I. And I've never seen a cat afraid of spiders.

So I eat them :)

Do you eat cat food too?

Or your own dirty hair, to cough it back up later?

Or rip apart bin bags to eat the leftover food inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

WellyJ wrote:
    Do you eat cat fod too?

Or your own dirty hair, to cough it back up later?

Or rip apart bin bags to eat the leftover food inside?

Yup.

I'd lick my balls, but I'm neutered unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Been getting far too many of them here too.......

Last week, this HUGE bugger, must have been 3" wide at least!, ran across the floor, even the cats wouldnt touch it! And the speed is amazing.

There *has* to be a way of stopping these, im allergic to bee stings etc, if I get bitten by one of these feckers, if i roll onto one in my sleep or somthing, ....gawd knows what might happen!?...*shudder*

Somone PLEASE invent somthing to get rid of em once and for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Dilly1 wrote:
    Meh I like spiders. I have one of those wolf spider chaps(or chapesses) living behind the mirror in my bedroom. About 2 inches across in old money. Seems harmless enough.

I have never heard of a wolf spider living in a house let alone one that is two inches across in Ireland, are you sure its not a house spider ?
    Wolf Spiders in Europe usually live in gardens under leaves, and in garages or sheds. do you have a pic of it ?

Agreed. This isnt a wolf spider. Its one of these:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/Agelenidae/Agelenidae.htm

I kept one in a jam jar for about two months, named him Fredrick and everything. GF made me release him, but he stayed in the jam jar till a mouse or somthing got him. terrible. like loosing an eight legged brother. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

One of my housemates screamed the place down a couple of days ago because there was a big spider in the sink when she was washing up. Another housemate had to take it out of the sink and put it outside, but it ended up drowning. I think I had a dream the night before being chased by a HUGE (I'm talking like the size of the ones in 8 Legged Freaks) spider in the house. I ran away from that one pretty sharpish!

I'm not really bothered by spiders, though when someone who is afraid of them it makes me jittery when I have to get rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

impr0v wrote:
    Like many other houses we've been waging war on the big spider invaders over the past year or two (I don't ever remember seeing anything bigger than your common house spider prior to that), equipped with a hoover and a strong stamping motion. As a result, we've had less occasions of spotting them running across the floor at night like mini scorpions. Last night, however, I was reading a book in bed when movement at the edge of the curtain caught my eye. Having them in the sitting room/hall downstairs is bad enough but I hate finding the bastards in my room. I flipped around the curtain and, sure, enough, found the biggest specimen I had ever encountered.

He seemed too stunned to move and was kind enough to remain in place while I pinned the curtain behind the radiator with a large dictionary and went to get my camera.

Picture one shows him from the far side of my bed.

Picture two shows him in close up.

Picture 3 shows him after he met one of the works of Nietzsche at high velocity, with a 2 euro coin for scale.

I'm not sure the photos do the size of him justice, and I'm sure some will have seen similar sized arachnids in their homes (never mind abroad), but it's hard to describe the instinctual revulsion one feels when finding it crawling up the wall beside one's bed.

Thats quare big. Although spiders normally nest in a house for a while until you spray them out with mr.sheen or something. I dont kill spiders but I used to do that. My house has loads of spiders too. I have a lucky spider in my bedroom. Its tiny but is always there. Wierd but I like him/her. Had a lot of spiders before but I think they are lucky if they hang around you. Thats what I believe. If you find one in your hair, youl have some money related situation come into ya. I found a spider before and I got a job. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

impr0v wrote:

Picture one shows him from the far side of my bed.

Picture two shows him in close up.

Picture 3 shows him after he met one of the works of Nietzsche at high velocity, with a 2 euro coin for scale.

I'm not sure the photos do the size of him justice, and I'm sure some will have seen similar sized arachnids in their homes (never mind abroad), but it's hard to describe the instinctual revulsion one feels when finding it crawling up the wall beside one's bed.

Oh my god....what the hell is that thing!?

It's huge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Giblet wrote:
    I kicked out and heard something drop on the floor.

if you can hear it hitting the floor it must have been a big spider. YARR DEATH TO ARACHNIDS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I'm afraid to click on any of the pics linked in this thread :(

Also, roll on the non-spider months :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

OMFG... the size of that thing... and all the hairs on its legs!!!
    I need a valium...

I'm sorry I ever read this thread, I have had my fair share of the buggers in my house over the last few weeks, but this has me checking in the bed, behind the curtains, and I won't sit in the living room with the light off watching tv in case one of the bastards is lurking somewhere... ugh

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

At least that BBc article sheads some light on the buggers. I live in dublin during the week and we have feck all spiders in the house, only one or two in webs outside the window but where i live in offaly is vacent 5 days a week and on a friday the spiders are everywhere. but then come saturday morning, they are all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I dont mind spiders.. not to say i want them crawling over me. My wife goes nuts though so i have to get rid. But if i see one in the kitchen and its just on a wall i leave it. Big ones though i get rid of by either killing or using paper etc if i can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I had 2 massive spiders in my bedroom there last week.. I've never ever seen spider's so big. I killed both of them with axe kicks. Also, there seems to be alot more moth's around my house.. Is this the same with anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

but surely more spiders = less moths

It's a conspiracy!!!

(Evil things Spiders)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Farcear wrote:
    but surely more spiders = less moths

It's a conspiracy!!!

(Evil things Spiders)

I axe kicked the spiders.. But nah, there was loads of moths around when those spideys were on the prowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Ann Elk wrote:
    They're big, hairy, poisonous feckers that cause necrosis when they bite you - the flesh around the bite starts to die and spread - it can get very difficult to stop the spread and sometimes they need to amputate. Sounds freaky but it's true, it can also happen with the wandering spider and certain types of snake bite.

Where did you hear that?
    I grew up in Sydney and whilst wary of them as they can be fatal, necrosis (necrotising arachnidism) was never mentioned.
    Think you got the wrong spider there.

In fact:
    http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/179_04_180803/whi10399_fm-2.html

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s926733.htm

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Id hate to see if any of you lot kept pet tarantulas.

Scary as fook when a 7.5-8.5 inch tree spider(Avicularia Metallica) jumps onto your hand while youre trying to hand feed it crickets with a long tweezers(It hadnt eaten in a month you see?).

One of these : http://giantspiders.com/A_metallica.html

Thing jumped about 2.5ft from the top of its cage landed on my hand,took the cricket from the tweezers and then ran straight up the cage wall back into its web.Talk about fast.All you could see was a blue-green blur.

Was screaming like a little baby I was(Im not joking either,something with 2-3cm fangs sitting on my hand looking at it like it was tasty).Mind you my wife found it hilarious.

Nice adrenaline rush though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Hellrazer wrote:
    Scary as fook when a 7.5-8.5 inch tree spider(Avicularia Metallica) jumps onto your hand while youre trying to hand feed it crickets with a long tweezers(It hadnt eaten in a month you see?).

One of these : http://giantspiders.com/A_metallica.html

Ergh, that thing would scare the bejaysus out of me too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Ann Elk wrote:
    They're big, hairy, poisonous feckers that cause necrosis when they bite you - the flesh around the bite starts to die and spread - it can get very difficult to stop the spread and sometimes they need to amputate. Sounds freaky but it's true, it can also happen with the wandering spider and certain types of snake bite.

You are thinking of the white-tail spider. THe funnel-webs venom affects the nervous system.
    The white-tail spiders venom causes necrosis around the bite and has never known to kill (which cant be said about the funnel-web).

Scary thing is a white tail spider is smaller than an average fingernail, while a funnel-web is on average the size of the base of a coke can.

I have seen loads of both back home. Snakes bother me more though. One killed our dog.

Where did you hear that?
    I grew up in Sydney and whilst wary of them as they can be fatal, necrosis (necrotising arachnidism) was never mentioned.
    Think you got the wrong spider there.

In fact:
    http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/179_04_180803/whi10399_fm-2.html

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s926733.htm

Beaten to it.

Hmm, I have seen a white tail spider bite...and I can confirm that it does indeed kill the skin around the bite and leave a dented scar. Those stories may refer to the severe necrosis shown by certain photos going around the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Vorak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Vorak wrote:
    Anyone ever heard of a camel spider?

Their sooooo big!

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp

They're actually not as big as they appear to be in that picture or as dangerous as the story that was going around about them a while back... but still, I wouldn't be getting much sleep for a while if I came across one. UGLY FECKERS! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I thought that they weren't actually spiders, but belonged more to the scorpion family??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dilly1

Dr. Dre wrote:
    I'm afraid to click on any of the pics linked in this thread :(

Also, roll on the non-spider months :(

Dont worry, according to the News we are in for a very cold winter, hopefully this means no torrential rain, and of course those pesky spiders will stop running around, as they slow down when the temp drops. :D

Watching TV lastnight, and had another big one run across the tiled floor.
    It came tearing into the sitting room from the hall, I just saw it from the corner of my eye, I shouted "OH NO YOU DONT" and the funny thing is as soon as I shouted it stopped dead on the floor, ( I believe they can hear with their big hairy legs). It was afraid to move and it gave me time to get my spider catcher out ( A 1 litre empty Evian bottle with the top cut off). I caught it and put it out the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

No-one has answered where these spiders were up until the last 2 years or so - and always in September. Me , I use this thing - an absolute life saver - if you don't want to kill them as I and the wife don't

http://www.pestfree.co.uk/katchabugs.htm

Open the trap door, push down over the big mama and slide the door underneath - it allows you to be that little bit braver to inspect it at close quarters when you know it can't get out - once I let the trapdoor slide back by accident - scared the bejaysus out of me when it fell to the ground and started running!

Where do I leave it out - I go out the house, cross the road , into the garden of a neighbour I don't like and tell it to go visiting. Hehe.

Saw one last night climbing up the outside kitchen wall - was chasing 2 "ordinary" spiders - they ran like hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

impr0v wrote:
    Like many other houses we've been waging war on the big spider invaders over the past year or two (I don't ever remember seeing anything bigger than your common house spider prior to that), equipped with a hoover and a strong stamping motion. As a result, we've had less occasions of spotting them running across the floor at night like mini scorpions. Last night, however, I was reading a book in bed when movement at the edge of the curtain caught my eye. Having them in the sitting room/hall downstairs is bad enough but I hate finding the bastards in my room. I flipped around the curtain and, sure, enough, found the biggest specimen I had ever encountered.

Can he do any cool trix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

To all those linking the species , most of you are wrong. From what I can see they are all your typical common house spider. They don't kill flys or moths either btw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/348.shtml

Advertisement