Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Spider Specimen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

This poster ^^^^^ is right, that is all they are , house spiders. They do grow big - they are coming in now as its too cold outside - just like mice.
    Silverfish are moth larvae believe it or not.
    You will defo find some under/around your fireplace.
    House spiders make great pets, if ya keep em in a spaghetti jar. Throw in some flies, or bluebottles if ya want to see a great row.
    They are not Wolf spiders, no mtter what anyone says. They are harmless fellas, but they do grow big. Giggest I had was 3.5 inches frm leg to leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Sorry to drag up an old thread.

But i just had a spider climbing up the sitting room wall. It was at least 8 or 9 cm in diameter, looked like the original posters one. Didn't move too quick. Squashed it by throwing a book at it, i didn't want to get too close.

I wasn't expecting to see them so early in the year. Would that have just come in from outside or would it have been in the house all winter? What are the chances of finding another one anytime soon????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭jptk

Dampsquid wrote:

But i just had a spider climbing up the sitting room wall. It was at least 8 or 9 cm in diameter, looked like the original posters one. Didn't move too quick. Squashed it by throwing a book at it, i didn't want to get too close.

I wasn't expecting to see them so early in the year. Would that have just come in from outside or would it have been in the house all winter? What are the chances of finding another one anytime soon????

there is probably a spider nest in your bedroom:D have a good nights sleep

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Dampsquid wrote:

No way to tell i'd say, but its probably just a one off. They'll always run a mile if you startle them, but them bolting will scare the bejaysus out of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Those spiders are perfectly normal here.
    Their fav places are between floorboards, walls, attics, sheds etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭catsup

Do these spiders bite by any chance?

I woke up Friday morning with 2 bites on my shoulder, raised white lumps surrounded by a rash. Didnt know what to think until my sister mentioned her boyfriend was bitten by a spider on his leg and he could barely walk due to swelling. The 2 marks were a couple of milimeters apart so I dont think I want to believe that a spider that big was in my bed...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Apparently all spiders bite and all spiders are poisonous, it's just that with the ones over here, they don't inject enough poison to affect us. But that's how they paralyse their prey.

I've seen a couple of spiders the same size as the one in the OP in my house. They're scary bsatards. One of them was right out in the middle of the floor in the kitchen and I went close up to it and stamped on it really quickly, I lifted my foot and it was gone. My dad went "Jesus, look" and pointed to my hoodie, and there he was the fecker. Off with the hoodie straight away and the spider made his escape under the washing machine. Bsatards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

jptk wrote:
    there is probably a spider nest in your bedroom:D have a good nights sleep

Roffle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

This is a great thread! :D

I used to be a lot more scared of spiders than I am now - but I too have been seeing a lot more of those house spiders recently. I've been catching them and hooching them into the neighbours garden :D

A year or two ago, I had a spider in one of the corners of my bedroom and every night I'd be looking up at him and not bothering with it... he was only a half inch or so. He stayed there for about a week. Then one day I was looking up at him and noticed a series of small black dots around him. On closer inspection I had noticed that 'he' had given birth to about 50 little buggers! So unfortunely Mama and her babies had to go!

When I catch them in a glass jar I will always have a good look as I find them fascinating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

I intend to now never sleep again, and spend the rest of my life hiding under my bed armed with a dyson, a nilfisk, and possibly a copy of the entire works of shakespears (hardback of course) .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

strange that this thread popped up! I found this little fella in the house the other day.. It's very similar to the one in the OP (bad pic) the €2 coin doesn't give it its real size after its been done in! when it's alive and kicking it looks way bigger! horrible looking things... spider.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

God I hate spiders. Found an absolutely huge one in my sisters room once, several months back, and wasn't even able to sleep upstairs for the night.

Moved house since, thankfully only seen one teeny spider in the past 4 months, but I still started shivering all over with mental cries of "Ick Ick Ick!!"

Yes, I am male.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

i used to hate spiders aswell but now they dont bother me at all. click here

i got bitten by one of the buggers in the second pic a few weeks back and it hurts like hell

the third pic is a palm spider, i see them every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I am terrified of those f**kers, i actually shake uncontrollably and my heart races when i see one!

And to make matters worse since i moved into the house (its a real old one) the bastards are HUGE!! My Dad gets regular phone calls with me screaming to come kill the foreign spider on the curtains

I am convinced they are from abroad, these things can move really fast and can jump!!

Have a photo that i took just to prove to my dad that i wasnt exagerrating about the size of them but cant load it yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭letterman

Any one ever notice that the bastards can hold their breath for a hell of a long time. Reason I know this is when you flush the big feckers down the bog , like an eight legged ****e, they always come back. Some can even outlast 2-3 flushes. Be careful on the bowl folks:eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

BloodBath wrote:

I have found three of those fukers in my house this last week, they were huge. I don't mind little spiders but those ones freak me out. I can't bring myself to kill them though, I put a glass over them and take them outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Beruthiel wrote:
    I can't bring myself to kill them though, I put a glass over them and take them outside.

Mrs Billy is of a different opinion.
    See resultant mess left for yours truly a couple of weeks ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Hill Billy wrote:

You must spend a lot of time repainting your walls, or do you just have spider guts as a kind of alternative artwork scheme?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hill Billy wrote:
    See kids, smoking really does kill.

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote:
    You must spend a lot of time repainting your walls, or do you just have spider guts as a kind of alternative artwork scheme?

Dear God woman - Of course you have to kill them on walls. The size of those buggers - you'd never shift all that blood out of the carpet!

delly wrote:
    See kids, smoking really does kill.

T'was the bedroom wall. Choice of weapon was either the fag packet or the butt plug. So kids - if an adult ever offers you a cigarette or a butt plug - be sure to tell tham that you don't smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

qz wrote:
    Oh Jesus, It's an effort for me to look at those pics. I fúcking hate spiders. I'm so glad I'm not in your situation.

Same here, I'd have to move out if I lived there, I'm terrified of spiders. I once had to jump out of my car when a spider not unlike your man above came up over the dashboard of my car, I had to get the person in the car behind me to take him out.

That fu*ker should be wearing hob nail boots he's that big...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

We don't have "Killer spiders" in Hawai... only the small ones. I'm grateful for that; the less creepy crawlies we have the better... haha.

We do have killer centipedes though; those things are huge and *scary*... haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

We don't have "Killer spiders" in Hawai... only the small ones. I'm grateful for that; the less creepy crawlies we have the better... haha.

We do have killer centipedes though; those things are huge and *scary*... haha.

And while walking backwards in fear away from a giant scary centipede, theres a surpsrisingly high chance of tripping and going head first into a volcano. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Jus be happy its not a Goliath!

goliath-plate.gif

Yes, thats a dinner plate!

Its mad the way people are actually more scared of spiders than death!

Little tiny yokes that cant even bite us, that we can squish, its crayzay!

Im gonna get some of them electronic insect repellers, keep the feckers out

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I hate spiders. Fortunately I keep my trusty Airzooka close to my bed. It's good cos it doesn't get squished spider on my things, it's not lethal (yes, I'm a wimp) and because it doesn't need ammo I can just keep shooting until they run off or fall somewhere I can't see them.
    abetarrush wrote:
    Im gonna get some of them electronic insect repellers, keep the feckers out
    Saw those on some gadget site. Anyone know if they actually work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

People keep telling me the spiders are more afraid of me than I am of them. Bullsh1t. I was putting together flatpack bookshelves last week in the middle of the sitting room and one pegged it across the room, around the shelves, and ran at me. Blo0dy thing chased me round the shelves with me screaming til I ran out and took shelter with the cat next door.

Last house I lived in in Galway we were getting one a week at least. Moved to Sligo a few weeks ago and there's a fncking plague of them! Squished three in the last week and one of the lads I live with killed another. My neighbours are training their cat to kill the feckers cos they're over-run with them too. And don't tell me they're house spiders, I've yet to see one near a web.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

KdjaCL wrote:
    You wouldnt believe what i been growing in the garage , its at least 2 inches in diameter, i feed him flies and he likes hem.

Gonna unleash him on the world one day....

kdjac

feel free to attach pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I'm guessing you didn't know it's bad luck to kill spiders.

You're neither cool nor smart showing that you mamed something thats smaller than you.

If that was a puppy or kitten, and you crushed it because you didn't understand it, you'd get lynched.

I guess you have some growing up to do, and compassion to learn.

Advertisement