Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Spider Specimen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

delly wrote:
    Thought i'd add my picture to the collection. Found this cute little fellow in the middle of the floor, sitting there doing nothing. I reckon his size from leg to leg was about 3 to 4 inchs. God bless the Golden Pages.

***WARNING: Viewing this picture may result in sleepless nights***

Spider.JPG complimants to my Fuji S7000

holy jebus, mary and the carpenter...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Ahh, That spider's lovely.
    I dont know what the big deal about em is.
    Only annoying thing is the cobwebs. :)

Chillax, Without em there'd be far more other
    insects for you to be worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

delly wrote:
    Thought i'd add my picture to the collection. Found this cute little fellow in the middle of the floor, sitting there doing nothing. I reckon his size from leg to leg was about 3 to 4 inchs. God bless the Golden Pages.

that looks remarkably like one we have in the office here (stretched out it would have a legspan of about three inches) i wonder if any of the spidey heads here could tell us what type it is

not as nasty as the HUGE brown one we had here last year , he lived in the gap under the door, wasnt perturbed in the slightest by the door being slammed above him, by far the largest spider ive seen in this country and ive seen a few.
    he was a docile old bugger thankfully ,lived here for a week or so, i was sure he was dead at one point but every so often he would set off for a stroll around the floor. his legspan standing without stretching his legs would have been wider than the palm of my hand. i wish i had been able get my hands on a camera and take a picture of him :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

TomTom wrote:
    They are getting bigger because as pointed out before they are outdoor spiders coming indoors for the abundance of food. Also spiders tend to come indoor more in the winter, hence why you see more.

I used to live in Sydney, one you had a few days of rain you were guarenteed to see a few big lads around the house. Noting mental generally just a few huntsmen which are hugh but harmless, but we had a funnel web once. that scared the bejesus out of us all

whats a funnel web?

delly wrote:

i've seen loads of the other type around the house recently we usually call the dog into the room and laugh at him trying to catch it, then run screaming when the spider runs away in our direction

how ever thanx to that picture i am now sitting in the office freaked out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

I saw a huge spider at work about a week ago. Only glimpsed his legs and his shadow but he was about two inches wide, I'd say. He was really fast and disappeared under my desk before i could get a good look at him. Didn't get much work done after that. I kept imagining I could feel something crawling up my legs so I'd repeatedly walk around the office. It's much worse when you know there's one nearby but you can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

These spiders are everywhere lately,

Im catching at least 2 a day between home and at work, saw a monstrous one at work last week but had no camera. This one is big enough but ive seen bigger in the last few weeks.

I dont remember seeing these types when i was younger though but everyone here seems to be reporting them now, i wonder where they came from.

Horrible Bastard

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

shellby wrote:
    whats a funnel web?

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/funnelweb.htm

They are dangerous lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

shellby wrote:
    whats a funnel web?

They're big, hairy, poisonous feckers that cause necrosis when they bite you - the flesh around the bite starts to die and spread - it can get very difficult to stop the spread and sometimes they need to amputate. Sounds freaky but it's true, it can also happen with the wandering spider and certain types of snake bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I too, am a victim of the spiderus giganticus invasion. I (Well, not me, I scream, hubby kills) must have caught about a dozen over the last week. I am truly terrified of these "things" to the point where I am now checking the bed every night. Sitting watching the telly and next thing this blur legs it accross the floor!
    Even typing this has me shuddering!!

What scares me the most is that they are breeding somewhere in the house, a big nest full of the bastards waiting and feeding and growing before they unleash themsleves in a huge assault.

I know, I think about this too much, but ugh it's just horrible!

Was reading the other posts, and extracted this from the link about the wolf spider:

"Wolf spider mothers carry their large egg sacs around with them. When the young spiderlings hatch they climb onto their mother's back and ride around until partially grown."

AAARRRRGGGHH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I used to think spiders were ok, until one morning I woke up, very sleepy of course, and was walking downstairs when I felt something tickle me on the side of my neck. I thought I was just itchy, so you can imagine my horror when I went to scratch my neck, only to find a spider about the size of the one in the OP. I threw it against the wall and went stamp-idy-stamp. In my bare feet too - yuck! I hate them :(

And yeah, they are getting friggin huge lately. There was one in my shower the other day, so I hosed him down the drain, then had a shower, only to go into the bathroom today to find him running around the bath! :(

Ann Elk wrote:
    They're big, hairy, poisonous feckers that cause necrosis when they bite you - the flesh around the bite starts to die and spread - it can get very difficult to stop the spread and sometimes they need to amputate. Sounds freaky but it's true, it can also happen with the wandering spider and certain types of snake bite.

sorry i asked

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I usually let them hang around since they eat the moths that always seem to invade my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 reversed

This guy visited me in my kitchen yesterday night.

I was a little bit surprised but I didn't kill it. I thought, my house mates should meet him, too. Hehe.
    Never saw him again...

http://ytfr65r6tg.tripod.com/spinne.jpg

Take care,
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

Teganerea Giganticus or something like that is their names - They are males I think - female is much smaller - They dont spin webs so they go hunting around the house

They are harmless and usually come in this time of the year

Supposed to be one of the fastest spiders in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Steven wrote:
    What? He speed read it and commited suicide?
    Ha Ha!! Thats brilliant!! :D

I cant believe that so many boardsies are scared of spiders. I dont mind them at all, and really dont bother me at all. Your not going to get a FunnelWeb or BlackWidow lurking around your bed at night now are you. My gf is completely hysterical about seeing a spider so I sorta understand arachnaphobics, just weird to see people getting freaked out by harmless creatures that are doing you no harm (keeping insect levels around your house down).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

stagolee wrote:
    not as nasty as the HUGE brown one we had here last year , he lived in the gap under the door, wasnt perturbed in the slightest by the door being slammed above him, by far the largest spider ive seen in this country and ive seen a few.
    he was a docile old bugger thankfully ,lived here for a week or so, i was sure he was dead at one point but every so often he would set off for a stroll around the floor. his legspan standing without stretching his legs would have been wider than the palm of my hand.:(
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

i'm not scared of spiders :) i just don't like them :( but that would freak the bejesus out of me.ugh*Shiver*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dilly1

I had a dream the other night that there was a Spider on me,
    was dreaming that it was on me and walking up my arm, then I suddenly
    started to wake up and I thought to myself, hey ! this is not a
    dream, by this stage I could feel it walking onto my shoulder.
    I jumped out of bed and turned on the light, I couldnt see anything
    so I though maybe it was a dream, then I moved the pillow and there
    it was and big brown spider sitting under the pillow.
    This was 3 am in the morning, why would a spider bother its arse to crawl
    around in someones bed at that hour ??, I mean its not like there are flies in
    the bed. freaked me out a bit. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭zinc

Haha its mad indeed, I sleep in a attic with no carpet or anything and I come across them a fair bit, in fact I used to fear them but not so much anymore, like when you have to become comfortable with something you do over time.

Mad things all the same.

Although we should count ourselves lucky in Ireland.
    I read an article regarding the european house spider which
    travelled to the US on board cargo ships during the 1930's.
    Because the environment over there is alot less friendly than
    here, the poor little fellas had to toughen themselves up and
    become more aggressive, which resulted in them becoming
    known as the 'aggressive house spider' and they will bite people
    without hesitation, the bite is not fatal at all, but it is not nice.
    I am just glad the we have the 'runaway! runaway! house spider' species
    over here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I've encountered 2 huge bástards in the last week. As in I've really never seen anything this big here. I'm very very scared of the fúckers, as is my girlfriend. So you can imagine two loons trying to get the courage up to even approach the fúckers.

One legged it across the room at an alarming speed and the other legged out from under the TV. I checked behind the TV and where we recently had Sky install digital there's a large hole from the drilling. We reckon they're infiltrating through there. I've taped it up. We'll see what happens.

I'm really not happy about this. They're getting bigger every year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Meh I like spiders. I have one of those wolf spider chaps(or chapesses) living behind the mirror in my bedroom. About 2 inches across in old money. Seems harmless enough.

Once I caught the bugger on my pillow one night. I turned over and there he was. I tightened up in shock and so did he :). Both of us stayed that way for a while. I relaxed and he relaxed and backed slowly away. I'd say seeing me through his 8 eyes fair put the sh*ts up him(Oh crap the huge mammals awake :eek: ). I figure I prefer him eating whatever he needs to eat is a good thing as I once caught him eating a nice juicy wasp. Wasps I hate. All I was short of doing was getting a tiny glass of wine for him to enjoy the meal more(red of course). They seem to live a long while as this one(or his twin) has been there for years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Wibbs wrote:
    Meh I like spiders. I have one of those wolf spider chaps(or chapesses) living behind the mirror in my bedroom. About 2 inches across in old money. Seems harmless enough.

Once I caught the bugger on my pillow one night. I turned over and there he was. I tightened up in shock and so did he :). Both of us stayed that way for a while. I relaxed and he relaxed and backed slowly away. I'd say seeing me through his 8 eyes fair put the sh*ts up him(Oh crap the huge mammals awake :eek: ). I figure I prefer him eating whatever he needs to eat is a good thing as I once caught him eating a nice juicy wasp. Wasps I hate. All I was short of doing was getting a tiny glass of wine for him to enjoy the meal more(red of course). They seem to live a long while as this one(or his twin) has been there for years.

Thats so very strange,

I would have killed that long ago, the thoughts of him crawling in my mouth while sleeping would keep me up at night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

meh spiders do not freak me out at all.when i see one i think-oh there is a spider.They can't even hurt you,there are 1000's of them around you and you happen to see one or two sometimes.
    whenever a housemate sees one and freaks out,they get me to move em. i just move the little buddy into my room because he might die if put outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. If they keep to their corner, I don't mind. But if it annoys me, it gets killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tiffany

It's amazing how people are terrified of something that's just as (if not more) terrified of you. Not to mention it's only a fraction of the size that you are. :rolleyes:

Wibbs wrote:

I have never heard of a wolf spider living in a house let alone one that is two inches across in Ireland, are you sure its not a house spider ?
    Wolf Spiders in Europe usually live in gardens under leaves, and in garages or sheds. do you have a pic of it ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

WellyJ wrote:
    Thats so very strange,

I would have killed that long ago, the thoughts of him crawling in my mouth while sleeping would keep me up at night.
    I'd say the chances of him crawling in my mouth are slim. In false move while he was in there and I wouldn't need breakfast. :D

Dilly1 I'll try to get a piccie of him. I always heard them called wolf spiders, but it could be a house spider. It could be a lesser spotted razorback hairy nutbag spider for all I know TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

These spiders are cool! They freak the gf out altogether. Never seen domestic spiders like them before this year. I normally dont mind them running around the house but have to put them out into the back garden if the gf sees them. Bit like having a puppy really.
    When i was a young lad I used to catch flies in old margarine cartons and feed them to spiders in the garage. used to love watching the spiders at work. I'm quite surprised i never developed a blood sucking\vampire fetish.....though i used to give terrible lovebites....hmmm.....where is Dr.Freud's couch....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If my cat can eat them, so can I. And I've never seen a cat afraid of spiders.

So I eat them :)

Advertisement