Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 migualo

Male 30, Liberty
    Yamaha MT-07 2015
    Fully comp
    Learner permit
    670 EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

blade1 wrote: »
    Male 43, Adelaide full comp 4 bikes.
    Zzr1400
    Aprilia RSV1000R
    Tiger 1050
    MZ Mastiff 660

€415.
    Probably the only good thing about getting older..:(:(

I'm the same age as you, full licence 19 years, no claims 20 years, no convictions or points, and Adelaide are charging me only slightly less than that for one bike.
    Go figure.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

^^^ Location?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

D22

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

I was very happy with my renewal.

Male 33 AxA
    Full comp 3 years NCB
    Learners permit
    07 ER6-F
    €380

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Male, 31yrs, 2 years ncb.
    Full licence almost 2 years.

Main bike 2008 GSXR 600 (Break down coverage)
    2nd bike 1993 CB400 (No breakdown coverage)
    Commuting included on both.

Have both insured tpft, with Adalaide for euro360.

Delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Male 38 Liberty Fully Comp
    Learners Permit
    Rider Assessment 2
    2011 ER6-F
    €408

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Changing from tpo on an SV1000 to FC on a hayabusa was an extra 74 quid for circa 6 months, so working out about < 400 quid for the year inc commuting, riding other bikes, etc.
    male, 39, several years NCB (4?) (i came back to biking after a break), full licence 15 years or so. No points, claims, convictions, living in Louth, garaged, alarmed bike.

Does training make much of a difference to the policy?

lennymc wrote: »

Does training make much of a difference to the policy?

In my case yes but I'm a new rider so I had to do IBT and my instructor was able to sign off for insurance. This saved me around 30%, substantial amount. Not sure how it works for more experienced riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

Has anyone here tried Principal Insurance for a quote yet? just wondering how competitive they are? They are running a promotion at the moment with €30 discount off insurance, it was meant to be a promotion for Bike Fest but they had to pull out because CN have exclusivity apparently.

"Having booked our stand, as well as making travel and accommodation arrangements, we were advised by the organisers that the new title sponsors of the show had exclusivity and thus the festival organisers were not in a position to allow us or any other motorcycle insurance company to exhibit."

"... in the spirit of such competiveness and despite our best efforts to attend we will still be offering those discounts – and extending them to the whole Irish biking community. To claim your €30 saving on any new Principal Insurance policy simply call us on 1800 945 946 and quote "fair play principal." This offer is open to every rider who calls between now and close of business on Friday 5th June."

• Advertisement

They will only quote full license holders, they gave me an example and they were still 200 more expensive than Liberty with a learners permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Male , 30 years old. Kildare.
    Full license 10 years . 1 years NCB.
    Suzuki Bandit 1200. TPFT with commuting , €393 with adelade.

Carol Nash came in about 10 Euro less which I was surprised by. They are usually off the wall with their prices. Liberty were about 200 more expensive.

Very happy with adelade last year so went with them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Male 50, Tipperary

10 years NCB, RosPa Gold, full licence 32 years :D

No claims, no points

Fully comp 2005 MT-01 + 2013 VMax €378/€250 excess Carole Nash

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Male, 48
    1 x claim (2 years ago), Rospa Silver, full licence 27 years, no points.

Full comp on a H-D Road King, Aprilia Atlantic 500 and a Vespa 125 - €320 with Carole Nash

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Male, 33, Fully Comp on a 2003 Suzuki GS500. D4, Underground garage, Learner permit, no experience, 653.19 from Liberty Insurance which I'm pretty happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KTuohy

Male, 24. 3rd party fire and theft on a 2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750cc. Garaged, full unrestricted licence no experience. About 650 from MCE insurance. There's an excess of about 600 quid on it though.

It was close with another co though, can't remember which. I think Liberty wanted about 3k for 3rd party only though. I'd say next year I'll probably have much more choice and more competitive prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Carole Nash rang me with a renewal price of €758 for the DL1000. Premium was €450 (with €50 cash back after a few months) last year on a Fazer 600. After 5 minutes on the phone they dropped it to €550.

One quick call to adelaide and I had it for €395.

Thanks adelaide!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Shemale 38, 2010 GSX1250 FA ,Fully Comp with no claims protection, full gear covered and ride any bike, pillion cover with Europe breakdown and homestart, €250 excess €345.

Well Chuffed.

Adelaide Insurance, beat every other insurance by at least €55.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Shemale 38, 2010 GSX1250 FA ,Fully Comp with no claims protection, full gear covered and ride any bike, pillion cover with Europe breakdown €345.

Well Chuffed.

Adelaide Insurance, beat every other insurance by at least €55.

I'm actually in shock..:eek:
    Not at the price of the insurance, at the GSX..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Male, 34, full license, 3 years ncb, K6 SV650.

Fully comp, pillion cover, multi bike, UK & EU breakdown, 250 excess.

288 with principal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Male, 28, full license, 2 years ncb, 2006 ER6F.

Fully comp, pillion cover, multi bike, Legal, EU Cover, 250 excess.

335 with Adelaide; nobody else came close to matching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Male: 34
    Full License
    3 years no claims
    cb400

comprehensive €219 Adelaide

No breakdown cover

Carol Nash did offer the same with breakdown cover for €275

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

blade1 wrote: »
    I'm actually in shock..:eek:
    Not at the price of the insurance, at the GSX..:eek:

And what a sexy gsx it is!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads I'm up for renewal this month and wondering what companies I should call?

Male, 34,
    5 years ncb
    2008 Fireblade
    €500

Can I do better?

Deffo man! Thats a crazy price to be paying.
    I've always found adelaide to be best

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Called them there (Cornmarket) and got it down to €432. I do have all the extras like legal, breakdown and no claims protection also.
    Will ring a few of the others in the next few weeks..

Call MCE, they will give a cheaper quote than adeliade but the excess is much higher. Then call adelaide back and dont mention the excess and they will just match the MCE price and keep your excess at 250 standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭blade1

@Zascar Don't forget that Adelaide don't automatically include commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Zascar wrote: »
    Lads I'm up for renewal this month and wondering what companies I should call?

Male, 34,
    5 years ncb
    2008 Fireblade
    €500

Can I do better?

That is very steep IMHO, especially with 5 yr NCB. Your age and NCB alone I would go with adelaide. But Principal are being very aggressive to get the market share back that Adelaide stole when they arrived on scene.

If it were me.

Adelaide
    Carol Nash
    Principal

In that order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Male: 34
    Full License
    3 years no claims
    cb400

comprehensive €219 Adelaide

No breakdown cover
    Snap, even though I've nearly 20 years on you. Last year I got the same basic RSA policy for €189; the €30 hike is since they joined up with Cornmarket to offer their customers even better value. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement