Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Knoc

Congratulations to all who took part in the Credit Union Quiz last night.
    The quiz is one of the most exciting events in the primary school calendar, consisting of two knock out stages at local and regional level and culminating in a National Final in Dublin’s RDS on April 12th 2015 where 100 qualifying teams will compete under the watchful eye of Quiz Master RTE’s Marty Whelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mikehn

Pics from todays water protest march in Listowel. pretty similar turnout to previous marches. There was one guy that really spoke with passion, he had actually been on the Vincent Browne show recently, what caught my eye was his unusual amplification equipment, looked like an old gramaphone horn, the organisers had him trade it in for something more modern for the speeches in the square.
    [IMG][/img]march_1.jpg
    [IMG][/img]victorola.jpg
    magafone.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

I don't post often on boards - I haven't posted in nearly two and a half years and am a long time lurker on this thread. Recently however, there have been a few comments made by michael999999 on Billy Keane that I felt I had to reply to. I know this has been discussed by other posters and I'm sorry for bringing up an old 'argument' but I just want to give my take on it.

I don't find Billy Keane particularly funny, I often struggle to make sense of his articles in the Indo (although when he writes on football it can be interesting) and I'm not exactly in love with the pub he runs either. In other words, his 'style' or way of seeing things just doesn't suit me and that's the way he is.
    However, I don't think his character can be called into question. Michael99999, what you said in this thread (and others) regarding Billy might be true to a point but I can't see what Billy being struck off as a solicitor more than 20 years ago has to do with him leading a protest against the relocation of the post office.
    You've also said that Billy is still living off his father's name. I think you can look at this two ways: 1) that Billy is exploiting his father's fame for his own personal gain or 2) that Billy and his family are keeping alive John B's legacy and ensuring that the Keane family's pub lives on.
    By promoting John B's work and life and keeping the pub open, Billy and the rest of the Keane's have managed to bring in extra money and visitor numbers into an area of Kerry that has always struggled to rival the tourist potential of south Kerry. John B and his works are a part of the town's 'soul' and as someone who has lived all 22 years of their life in Listowel I think it's a great thing for a town to be associated with such a great playwright.

Regarding Billy being struck off the list of solicitors, what Billy did was terribly dishonest and wrong and he knows it. He deservedly got his come-uppance and he brought a lot of shame on his family. He was even very close to suicide at one stage (which he wrote about in an article in the Indo around the time of the 'Nunday')
    Having been burdened by this shame and guilt for over 20 years don't you think Michael that he has 'suffered' enough ? Think of <snip> who 'ran off' to the south of France and got in trouble with the Spanish police. Do people still go on about it and hold it against him ? People do stupid things all the time, some more serious than others. Does it really matter anymore what Billy did that long ago ?

I admire Billy for standing up the town, it's great to see a man so passionate about Listowel and fighting for what he believes in. I don't believe that the move of the post office will have much of an impact but I am delighted this new wave of people power that has swept the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

Sorry for the double post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

BK92 wrote: »
    Sorry for the double post.

no probs, I've deleted it for you
    MOD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

The following are headlines taken from two articles on pages 8 & 9 from the Irish Independent of February 2nd.
    (1) Postmasters to ballot members on first strike action in State's history:
    (2) Rural Ireland seems to be getting stripped of services - people are unhappy:
    The first headline, if true, and the threat of strikes taking place will have particular significance in the planned downgrading of Listowel Post Office ( Company Office) to its new status of sub post office.
    Quote,
    " The country's Post Office ( sub post office ) network faces been thrown into chaos as postmasters prepare to ballot over savage cuts to their pay. An Post is forging ahead with plans to impose pay reductions worth thousands of euro per post office in a move that will "cannibalise" the network. The introduction of fresh pay cuts has devastated postmasters, particularly in rural Ireland, who insist their businesses are already fighting for survival.
    The Irish Postmasters Union (IPU) is now preparing to ballot members over the pay cuts, which are as high as euro 16,000 per year in the country's larger post offices.
    The outcome of the ballot could mean the network is disrupted by postmasters for the first time in the history of the state"
    The second headline speaks for itself. Obviously, as I have mentioned in a previous posting, the decision makers in An Post on a whim have shown scant regard to the feelings of the general public of Listowel by downgrading, without any public consultation, it's centrally located custom built company post office.

Commemorating Templeglantine man 100 years dead in May 2015

In May 2015, Timothy O’Neill Lane, who was born in Gurteen, Templeglantine, Co. Limerick will be dead 100 years. Honouring and commemorating this man’s death is of great significance to the history of the modern Irish language and culture. It is for this reason that a committee (Coiste Timothy O’Neill Lane) has been established to give recognition to his vast body of work with the ultimate goal of commemorating appropriately his contribution to the Gaelic tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Boroman even though I think the post office location needed to be moved, I do agree that doing it with no public consultation was wrong. I hope some sort of resolution can be found, and if not, that people continue to support the businesses in the locality. I think that's very important, that people continue to shop locally, and maybe the traders should continue to remind people of how important that is. I really do hope that people remember that when the post office opens in Supervalu.

Knoc, who is Timothy O Neill Lane? Your posts can be very informative, but they lack information at the same time! How was he important to Listowel? Did he help with a rejuvenation of Gaelgóirs in the area?

Timothy O’Neill Lane (1852–1915) for more search O Neill Lane.
    From Letter; Deir sé ann go raibh níos mó ná £2,500 caite aige ar an bhfoclóir cheana féin, go gcosnódh sé £1,000 é a chur i gcló agus go raibh £700 den mhéid sin tugtha aige don chlódóir cheana féin. Is dóigh gurbh é a bhí i gceist aige eagrán nua d’fhoclóir 1904. Foilsíodh a Larger English-Irish dictionary, 1916.

Ba chuimhin le Bill McEnery é a fheiceáil gach lá. Ní raibh ann ach buachaill scoile san am. “I did not know what his profession was at the time, but I guessed it must be onerous judging by the large leather handbag he used for the carriage of his correspondence.

That didn't really help: it's just it's nice to chat (and sometimes even disagree). Like I still don't know what you think, how you think this man helped Listowel? Why we should honour and commemorate him?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

@Knoc, are you copying & pasting this info from somewhere? I think you need to post the source/link from where you got it from due to intellectual property rights.

More about Timothy here
    http://www.ainm.ie/Bio.aspx?ID=147

Knoc wrote: »
    More about Timothy here

But, again, it's just meaningless... A link answers none of my questions. After 3 posts all I've got is that some guy died a hundred years ago in limerick with no reason as to why you posted it? It's impossible to have a discussion (because that's what this is a discussion site!) when you won't discuss what you think? I'm not trying to be mean, I'm genuinely trying to keep this thread alive, and I think when this sort of posting happens it kills it altogether... Like if it was me (in a theoretical situation) oh there's a commemoration for x in Templeglantine. He was very important to the listowel area because of y. He did abc here and hopefully people will support his commemoration.

Anyway I won't ask you again or anything, I guess I'm just trying to put across that I can't reply to that kind of information or anything, which basically kills the conversation.

Hope everyone's enjoying the good weather! Anything with no rain is good these days and the place looks beautiful in the frost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Knoc wrote: »
    More about Timothy here

To be honest Knoc, I'd have to agree with Cynig's posts above. Your posts are very random copied blocks of text that seem out of place with the purpose of this thread which in my humble opinion should be about up to date news and information about Listowel. I'm not saying your posts don't have value but maybe create a separate Listowel history thread for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

xxyyzz wrote: »
    To be honest Knoc, I'd have to agree with Cynig's posts above. Your posts are very random copied blocks of text that seem out of place with the purpose of this thread which in my humble opinion should be about up to date news and information about Listowel. I'm not saying your posts don't have value but maybe create a separate Listowel history thread for them.

I disagree. Knoc, has for sometime been keeping this thread alive with his posts.For a while he was the only poster.Why shouldn't he post about the past of the town and surrounding area.History is a big part of our town and thats whats bringing the buses in the summer.I have enjoyed your posts Knoc. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Timothy O Neill Lane, lived at Kilmorna with his relations for some time, they in turn had relations in Church Street, Listowel just yards from Bryan McMahon.
    Another great Listowel man John R Rice, B.A. M.D. Surgeon at Rotunda, Dublin. Medical Officer Listowel Workhouse foe six years, Surgeon in Crimea for two years, in Government Hospital Hong Kong for two years and according to the Daily Alta, Cal of 9th June 1865 was living at 254 Fourth Street, between Howard and Folson N.W. Corner. Another branch of the Rice Family went to NZ and fought in the War.
    See St. John’s for great Workhouse pictures on display this month.

Thanks Knoc :) the workhouse exhibition in St Johns sounds very interesting: I wonder where the workhouse in listowel used to be situated?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭bkeane

cyning wrote: »
    Thanks Knoc :) the workhouse exhibition in St Johns sounds very interesting: I wonder where the workhouse in listowel used to be situated?

Up by the hospital I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭J.R.

bkeane wrote: »

The present hospital chapel was part of the dining area of the workhouse.

http://listowelconnection.blogspot.ie/2013/06/the-famine-in-north-kerry-writers-week.html

bkeane wrote: »
    Correct, the building was situated to the rear of the hospital and was demolished only about 20 years ago. Back in the '50's it was used as a TB isolation unit, my cousin tells of visitors to the inmates standing in the grounds and talking to the friends / relatives through the windows as they were not allowed inside.As you enter the hospital there is a natural stone building being renovated by the HSE, it is very similar apparently to the old workhouse.

• Advertisement

Oh I know the building they are renovating: I wonder do they have plaques up to commemorate the people who died there?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

John Pierse's book, "Teampall Ban" recently published, is a valuable history for anyone that wants to learn what life was like in North Kerry during the years, 1845-1852. In the book he recalls with great dignity the memory of those who died and those who were forced to leave for foreign shores. The burial place of the deceased, Teampall Ban, (it was known to locals for generations as Teampallin Ban) is located on the right hand side of the Ballybunion Road next to the old Lartigue railway bridge. Here is located a small building for prayer or reflection, stations of the cross and at the entrance stands a memorial cross erected in 1932 at the behest of James Cain of Church Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

mikehn wrote: »
    If you are coming from the town side the turn off is approx half mile beyond the Co-op, there will prob be a sign but its the first turn down to the right that you meet after a series of bends past the Co-op. If you go into Google earth you can actually see the pitch.

Thanks very much for this. There was no sign so I just drove to the co-op and swung around and found it no problem. Good facilities by Listowel Celtic but we were playing Na Fianna and won 3-1 so made the trip worth it. Thanks again for the info, appreciate it.

[IMG][/img]DSC_0025.jpg
    [IMG][/img]DSC_0024_1.jpg
    This is where all the action is going to be next week, our new post office.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ChurchStreet

I noticed that there was a lot of disquiet about the relocation of the Post Office to Garveys under the Musgrave Group. I also noticed a few individuals mentioned in the media, that consultation should have occurred with the local population. We know that did not have to occur due to the Corporate agreement between Supervalue aka Musgraves. Obviously, Supervalue wish to have the Post Office on their turf so to benefit from the passing trade, it brings. That's what matters to them and protesting, having marches or local politicians climbing on board, is only hot air. Like all corporate entities ( And I work for one!), the bottom line every quarter is all that matters and as a result management keep their jobs and shareholders are happy. In principal the relocation of the Post Office will increase turnover and hence profit.
    However, if the locals in Listowel were to Boycott Supervalue, this would send out a far stronger message to Corporates, (or the crowd in Dublin as referred to by some quarters) than newspaper articles, or protests up and down William Street.

Before I get lambasted, a Boycott is not a nice thing. There are plenty locals employed in Supervalue and some peolpe would point to Supervalue to sponsorship of the Tidy Towns, sports clubs etc. But I think if some peolpe feel as strongly as they are voicing, then a Boycott of Supervalue should be considered. In short, put up or shut up. In principal the Boycott would involve people not using Supervalue and using the Post Office for their specific needs, e.g collect pensions, post letters parcels etc. The principal of the increased footfall would backfire on the corporates and this would indeed be listened to by the corporates in suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ChurchStreet

I noticed that there was a lot of disquiet about the relocation of the Post Office to Garveys under the Musgrave Group. I also noticed a few individuals mentioned in the media, that consultation should have occurred with the local population. We know that did not have to occur due to the Corporate agreement between Supervalue aka Musgraves and An Post. Obviously, Supervalue wish to have the Post Office on their turf so to benefit from the passing trade, it brings. That's what matters to them and protesting, having marches or local politicians climbing on board, is only hot air. Like all corporate entities ( And I work for one!), the bottom line every quarter is all that matters and as a result management keep their jobs and shareholders are happy. In principal the relocation of the Post Office will increase turnover and hence profit.
    However, if the locals in Listowel were to Boycott Supervalue, this would send out a far stronger message to Corporates, (or the crowd in Dublin as referred to by some quarters) than newspaper articles, or protests up and down William Street.

Before I get lambasted, a Boycott is not a nice thing. There are plenty locals employed in Supervalue and some peolpe would point to Supervalue to sponsorship of the Tidy Towns, sports clubs etc. But I think if some peolpe feel as strongly as they are voicing, then a Boycott of Supervalue should be considered. In short, put up or shut up. In principal the Boycott would involve people not using Supervalue and using the Post Office for their specific needs, e.g collect pensions, post letters parcels etc. The principal of the increased footfall would backfire and this would indeed be listened to by the corporates in suits.

[IMG][/img]DSC_0029.jpg
    For all you budding gardeners Listowel garden center are having a relocation sale, 50% off. I picked up some nice Spear and Jackson tools at a great price :). Stock is dwindling so a visit sooner rather than later would be advised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

mikehn wrote: »
    [IMG][/IMG]
    For all you budding gardeners Listowel garden center are having a relocation sale, 50% off. I picked up some nice Spear and Jackson tools at a great price :). Stock is dwindling so a visit sooner rather than later would be advised
    Relocation? any chance of an oul protest :D?

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Relocation? any chance of an oul protest :D?
    Damm should have though of that:p

• Advertisement

It's the funniest relocation ever: they are relocating to.... The exact same place!!

Advertisement