Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Knoc

Listowel List of things to do continued
    57 Church Choirs, Adoration twice weekly all day.
    58 Mass every day and Rosary also on radio.
    59 Pick up trash from roadsides.
    60 Give material to local Blog
    61. Read all the old newspapers in the library.
    62 Dog racing.
    63 Cut grass and clean in cemeteries.
    64 Copy inscriptions and save memorial cards and pictures for future generations
    65 Join Various Societies.
    66 Bus every hour from Town.
    67 Rail Walk
    68 Ballybunion Trip
    69 Large number of Grottos in the district .
    70 Funerals
    71 Visit Old Folks at home and in residence.
    72 Many old ruins in the vicinity.
    73 Bingo.
    74 Meals on Wheels.
    75 Write a book or publish a journal.
    76 Share a talent.
    77 Keep in contact with our friends who had to leave us.
    78 Find some event to celebrate.
    79 Volunteer
    80 Introduce newcomers, auctioneers are the first to know of them.
    81 Drama and Music.
    82 Be on the lookout for artefact which may lie hidden.
    83 Collect various objects.
    84 Save from destruction
    85 Abandoned people, give them some time.
    86 Cook and share Traditional dishes.
    87 Create Habitat for some species.
    88 Work on your friendships
    89 Restore an item.
    90 Help clergy so that future generations may have a ladder to climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Anyone know is there anywhere in listowel to recycle Christmas trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Happy New Year all, I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season.
    Knoc wrote: »
    Listowel List of things to do continued
    57 Church Choirs, Adoration twice weekly all day.
    58 Mass every day and Rosary also on radio.
    59 Pick up trash from roadsides.
    60 Give material to local Blog
    61. Read all the old newspapers in the library.
    62 Dog racing.
    63 Cut grass and clean in cemeteries.
    64 Copy inscriptions and save memorial cards and pictures for future generations
    65 Join Various Societies.
    66 Bus every hour from Town.
    67 Rail Walk
    68 Ballybunion Trip
    69 Large number of Grottos in the district .
    70 Funerals
    71 Visit Old Folks at home and in residence.
    72 Many old ruins in the vicinity.
    73 Bingo.
    74 Meals on Wheels.
    75 Write a book or publish a journal.
    76 Share a talent.
    77 Keep in contact with our friends who had to leave us.
    78 Find some event to celebrate.
    79 Volunteer
    80 Introduce newcomers, auctioneers are the first to know of them.
    81 Drama and Music.
    82 Be on the lookout for artefact which may lie hidden.
    83 Collect various objects.
    84 Save from destruction
    85 Abandoned people, give them some time.
    86 Cook and share Traditional dishes.
    87 Create Habitat for some species.
    88 Work on your friendships
    89 Restore an item.
    90 Help clergy so that future generations may have a ladder to climb.
    boroman wrote: »
    you can add on, two walking tour's
    Listowel Town Literary Tour and
    Listowel Town Shopfront Trail.

Firstly, thanks a million boroman and Knoc for your contributions to the list. Knoc, it's particularly great to see you back on here again. Your list was tremendous, thanks so much, I don't think anyone could argue with the importance of the items you mentioned, but I think it would be fair to say that many of these would be aimed at a more local audience rather than for the tourist market, which was more or less what we were aiming at up to this point. Seeing as you have already made such an impressive start, I don't see why we couldn't make another list of community activities that would further develop our town and make it a stronger, more welcoming place to live and work. I think it might be worth trying to finish the tourist list first, though, as taking on the two together might result in neither being completed.

There were a couple of items you mentioned that would definitely be of interest to tourists. The ruins that you mentioned, did you have any in particular in mind that we may not have mentioned already? And the Rail Walk, where is that? Also, would the Grottos be of interest to devout tourists? Any idea of how many there are? It could be the makings of a pilgrimage trail!!

More importantly I think that as we've already mentioned various other places around the Listowel area, a trip to Ballybunion could be broken into at least another twenty items (I'm sure we could rely on some help from our friends on the Ballybunion Thread).

Overall, well done Knoc.

So I suppose if we were continue our list of "101 Things (for tourists) to do in the Listowel Area" we would be looking at:

53) Going out with the Wren Boys/Girls on St. Stephen's Day (thanks JR)
    54) Listowel Literary Tour
    55) Listowel Town Shopfront Trail (Thanks again boroman)
    56) Visit ruins of ...(Knoc, suggestions?)
    57) Rail Walk?
    58) Watch the sunset from Ballybunion Castle
    59) Work on your handicap at the world famous Ballybunion Golf Course
    60) ...

michael999999, I'm afraid I left out your, admittedly brilliant, contribution, as Jumbo's seem quite adamant in their video that they don't want people bringing their equine friends into the shop. Shame really. Thanks for the link though, it was gas!

cyning wrote: »
    Anyone know is there anywhere in listowel to recycle Christmas trees?

Absolutely no idea, I'm afraid. Sorry :(

60) climb cnoc an óir (sp?!) tallest hill in north Kerry I think
    61) surf in ballybunion
    62) ballybunion cliff walk
    63) playground in ballybunion (much nicer than our listowel one I'm afraid!)
    64) amusement arcades in ballybunion
    65 ...

Were any of you guys at the march against the Post Office move on Saturday? Good crowd there, and Billy Keane gave a great speech!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Japandamo wrote: »
    Were any of you guys at the march against the Post Office move on Saturday? Good crowd there, and Billy Keane gave a great speech!

Didn't know there was one to be honest, was it publicised?

Is it really going to make that much of a difference? Its only going to the other side of town.

As for billy Keane giving the speech, did he ever give a reason why he suddenly gave up being a solicitor?

Is it really going to make that much of a difference? Its only going to the other side of town.

As for billy Keane giving the speech, did he ever give a reason why he suddenly gave up being a solicitor?

Hmm, yes it was, there were flyers in a lot of shop windows and I think there was a Facebook thing going on as well. Admittedly I only noticed these after I had been told about them, so don't know if I'd have seen them otherwise.

I would say it will make a fairly big difference to the businesses that trade during the day on William Street north of McKenna's. Sheahans, Griffin's Butchers, Stack's Off Licence and Jumbo's will all be affected. O'Connell's too. Plus it's another large vacant building at the end of town.

As for your last point, it seems like you've been harping on about that in a few threads:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89717132

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91920518

Can't say I know a whole lot about Billy Keane's character, but it's amazing how easy it is to judge someone based on their post history on boards.ie. Something worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Steady on there,nothing to do with the post office move

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I must say that I fully agree with Japandamo's sentiments, Michael 999999 for some reason only known to himself, while hiding behind an anonymous mask, has once again proved what a smart arse one can really be, by making snide remarks about someone, which unfortunately when put up on boards are to say the least, hurtful. A bully, must get great satisfaction in doing this rather than a manly thing like going face to face with the person who they wish to offend.
    No, it's not a case that, the Post Office is only going to the other side of town, or, is it really going to make a difference. This is all about indifference by the company to the general public, An Post should have had some form of public consultation before they made their decision to move. The current building (originally a public house) was bought by the Dept of Posts and Telegraph in the early 1970s and it was reconstructed to the modern office that is there today. It has served the town well in its central location for the past 45 years and my own view is that the financial gain by the selling of what will be a vacant building by An Post is of more concern that the wishes of the community.
    Billy Keane did the town a great service in his initial publicizing of the move in his newspaper column.The hundreds who marched in protest over the closing of the office on a bitterly cold Saturday did so because they cared for the town and to send a message to faceless people up in Dublin. We owe our thanks to Billy and the traders for organising the event.

I must say that I fully agree with Japandamo's sentiments, Michael 999999 for some reason only known to himself, while hiding behind an anonymous mask, has once again proved what a smart arse one can really be, by making snide remarks about someone, which unfortunately when put up on boards are to say the least, hurtful. A bully, must get great satisfaction in doing this rather than a manly thing like going face to face with the person who they wish to offend.
    No, it's not a case that, the Post Office is only going to the other side of town, or, is it really going to make a difference. This is all about indifference by the company to the general public, An Post should have had some form of public consultation before they made their decision to move. The current building (originally a public house) was bought by the Dept of Posts and Telegraph in the early 1970s and it was reconstructed to the modern office that is there today. It has served the town well in its central location for the past 45 years and my own view is that the financial gain by the selling of what will be a vacant building by An Post is of more concern that the wishes of the community.
    Billy Keane did the town a great service in his initial publicizing of the move in his newspaper column.The hundreds who marched in protest over the closing of the office on a bitterly cold Saturday did so because they cared for the town and to send a message to faceless people up in Dublin. We owe our thanks to Billy and the traders for organising the event.

I'm simply asking why someone would leave a career in the legal profession, to take over a bar that he has complained on numerous times that makes little or no money because people are going in there sipping water!

He spent a half hour on the Mooney show last year complaining.

And as for the post office moving to Garvey's. People may be very surprised when they find out who bought the old FCA hall, the move of the post office certainly didn't stop this particular business family from buying it!

• Advertisement

I think the post office moving is a good thing: it's location sucks cars fly around the corner and it's dangerous to cross the road there. But that's my opinion!

As to why billy Keane isn't a solicitor anymore? Well it's nobodies business. He wrote an article on the aftermath in the run up to nunday: http://m.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/billy-keane-i-let-good-people-down-i-strung-up-a-flex-and-the-plan-was-to-jump-off-the-chair-into-oblivion-26869304.html

That's more than anyone has a right to know. I'm sure you probably know why he's no longer a solicitor. It's not right to try to bring up things from the distant past to shoot down something he's doing today. He has said it won't affect his business: nor do I think it will. He is doing what he believes is the right thing (even if I disagree with him).

You aren't "simply asking" Michael9999. You are asking loaded, leading questions and questioning the motives of someone who isn't here to defend himself. Criticise the March if you wish, but picking out one person is unfair and cheapens your position.

I'm simply asking why someone would leave a career in the legal profession, to take over a bar that he has complained on numerous times that makes little or no money because people are going in there sipping water!

He spent a half hour on the Mooney show last year complaining.

And as for the post office moving to Garvey's. People may be very surprised when they find out who bought the old FCA hall, the move of the post office certainly didn't stop this particular business family from buying it!

Ah, I see. You're simply curious about a career decision that he made more than twenty years ago. I would think that's his business. But if you've got a burning desire for answers why not go to his bar and ask him, instead about squawking about it online. It doesn't really seem to be worrying anyone else.

But correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the bar trade booming back in the 90's? How many pubs did we have in town back then, compared to now?

Hmm, I look forward to finding out what will happen with the FCA Hall, I wonder what this mystery business family's plans are.

I think the post office moving is a good thing: it's location sucks cars fly around the corner and it's dangerous to cross the road there. But that's my opinion!

I'd agree with you on that front, the cars do fly around there. And then people park on the road because they're 'just running in'. I wonder how congested it will get in Garvey's car park and on Market street now though. I fear it will get messy.

I am sure that michael999999 must have been brought up in some " valley of squinting windows. In a narrow minded fashion he is seems to be someone carrying a chip on the shoulder by been totally obsessed in a very sick way by continually raking over and highlighting by innuendo the affairs of someones else's private life. I myself am someone well past middle age and considered myself lucky to have been born in the town, growing up in the 1950s we were always reminded to mind one's own business and never speak bad about anyone. Michael (whoever you are), life is too short and if you cannot contribute to a forum without getting personal, then my friend I think it is time to get some advice and help. Also Michael, I wish the very best of luck to whoever bought the Sluagh Hall (F.C.A. hall), again, that is nobody's business but their own.

Just saw on FB the garden centre is relocating: anyone know where it's going?

Ya the junction at Supervalu is going to get mental alright, but still think it's better than up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mikehn

Heres a link to the Post Office protest march on Utube;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICXkrG4DfQI
    Thanks to Denny Carroll for covering this.
    I dont think that I will be shopping in Suervalu on pension day, I'd bet that the traffic situation there will be grim:(

I am sure that michael999999 must have been brought up in some " valley of squinting windows. In a narrow minded fashion he is seems to be someone carrying a chip on the shoulder by been totally obsessed in a very sick way by continually raking over and highlighting by innuendo the affairs of someones else's private life. I myself am someone well past middle age and considered myself lucky to have been born in the town, growing up in the 1950s we were always reminded to mind one's own business and never speak bad about anyone. Michael (whoever you are), life is too short and if you cannot contribute to a forum without getting personal, then my friend I think it is time to get some advice and help. Also Michael, I wish the very best of luck to whoever bought the Sluagh Hall (F.C.A. hall), again, that is nobody's business but their own.

My conscience is clear. Others maybe not!

Great video :) while I don't personally disagree with the post office move, it's great to see people protesting against something they feel so passionately about. I do agree that Supervalu is going to become chaotic, and that there is a bad accident waiting to happen there too: but it's a problem in a lot of places in town: people don't care about double yellow lines, they park at corners, double park etc. Traffic warden needs to start handing out more tickets especially around the entrance to Supervalu.

Also I only spotted one of our local councillors in the video: was there more at it?

My conscience is clear. Others maybe not!

I don't think your conscience should be, to be honest. Your argument seems to be: why isn't he a solicitor anymore? But why isn't he a solicitor anymore? But he ISNT a solicitor anymore. We all get it. You don't like him, you take every opportunity to let us all know as Japandamo pointed out. What do you want to achieve? It's a boring pointless argument. And it comes across as petty.

Apropos of nothing, but it's something that's been bugging me for a while...

Does anyone know what the story is with the painted over road signs? I thought it was just the ones on the main Tralee road, but it seems it's worse when you go the Abbeydorney way. Is it just one idiot with a can of spray paint and too much free time, or a gang of them. Or is it modernist art that I'm not understanding?

• Advertisement

I would think that there is more than one person involved, I have seen similar signs sprayed in other areas as well, lack of public spirit and too much free time ( night owl's ) would be my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭J.R.

Great video :) while I don't personally disagree with the post office move, it's great to see people protesting against something they feel so passionately about. I do agree that Supervalu is going to become chaotic, and that there is a bad accident waiting to happen there too: but it's a problem in a lot of places in town: people don't care about double yellow lines, they park at corners, double park etc. Traffic warden needs to start handing out more tickets especially around the entrance to Supervalu.

Also I only spotted one of our local councillors in the video: was there more at it?

This is not the first time the Post Office was relocated - it was on William Street where Quilters butcher shop is during 60's / 70's

TEAMPALL Ban, Aspects of the Famine in North Kerry 1845/52, by John Pierse gives us a great insight into the famine period.
    The book contains 282 pages with details and pictures of Listowel and district. John began the book by first researching the history of Teampall Ban, and then he looked at the workhouse, then the convent and finally attempted to understand what happened locally in the years around the famine. John has spent years researching material which will help us all to know more and understand better the years 1845 to 1852. The book has a fine index, sections cover potatoes failure in North Kerry, Death burial, emigration and evictions, folklore relating to the famine, Famine Relief Committees, Union Ledgers, Conditions in workhouse fever hospitals and relief works. Also covered Parliament Reports, Relief Collections list, Quakers, numerous letters and newspaper reports from the period.
    The book also contains a host of illustrations, including workhouse, Pierce Mahony, Soup Boiler, Cross at Teampall Ban and a picture of Mother Mary Augustine Stack 1801-1888.

Am Stateside at the present time, glad to hear that John Pierse's book has been launched. John has laboured long and hard ( the most of twenty years) to get the book finished. I am looking forward to getting a copy on my return. Thanks Knoc for the information.
    I was checking out. The post office moved to its present location, which had been bought,knocked, then rebuilt and opened as Listowel first custom built office around 1970. Before that, its rented home was, where Griffin's butcher are now, the office had moved there in 1940, prior to then, its location was, from 1900, again, in rented accommodation where Fashion Figure is now. Prior to the offices in William Street the earlier Post Office locations were in Main Street ( late 1800s) and The Square ( from the early 1800s.)
    In my humble view, An Post are doing the general public a great disservice, by relocating away from a stand alone office on the side of a main street.

Tribute to Pat Brosnan at Fr Casey Clubhouse, Abbeyfeale Nov. 2013. Great worker for local clubs and societies . Abbeyfeale Singing Club had a evening to remember a great club worker.Old friends of Pat Brosnan entertain the great man at Fr Casey Hall in Abbeyfeale 3 Nov. 2013. Pat born at Lyrecrompane Co Kerry in 1926. Writer, Composer, worked at various jobs at home and abroad and still writes local notes.Sold insurance in 1950's. Married Mary Normile in Nov. 1960.Lifelong member of PTAA, GAA , Long-time member of Community Games, Comhaltas, Civil Defence, First Aid trainer, With friends visits retirement homes to entertain residents
    He supported all the local (and not so local) rambling houses and set up the group “Ceol Luimnigh” who had their own monthly sessions and performed voluntarily in local hospitals and nursing homes. In the recent “TradFéile” festivals he took responsibility for the entertainment on stage in the street and kept the music, song and dance going for the weekend. These are but a few of his contributions to the welfare of our society but it is in his writings that he has really done us proud. His weekly column in the Limerick Leader has kept people up to date with all the news of the parish.
    The tribute event held in the Fr Casey’s GAA Club on Sunday 3rd November 2013 was to recognize Pat’s lifetime involved in singing and composing ballads, and in preserving our musical heritage and traditions.
    Pat Brosnan died 8th January 2015,aged 88.

Anyone know Mrs Thomas Galvin

San Francisco Call, Volume 94, Number 42, 12 July 1903

The Rev. E. P. Dempsey, assistant vicar general of St. Mary's Cathedral, left Friday morning for an extended tour of Europe. He -will visit Rome, Paris and London. He will also spend several weeks visiting his sister. Mrs. Thomas Galvan, at Listowel County. Kerry, Ireland. On his return to this continent he will make a tour of Mexico before returning to this city. He expects to be back in San Francisco in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hi folks. I have a soccer game in Listowel on Sunday. I know the pitch is on the Tralee side of town but just wondering is there a sign up or anything I could look out for the turn off. Thanks.

If you are coming from the town side the turn off is approx half mile beyond the Co-op, there will prob be a sign but its the first turn down to the right that you meet after a series of bends past the Co-op. If you go into Google earth you can actually see the pitch.

the water protest march is on today Saturday at 1 o'clock in case anyone wants to lend a bit of weight to the campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

mikehn wrote: »
    If you are coming from the town side the turn off is approx half mile beyond the Co-op, there will prob be a sign but its the first turn down to the right that you meet after a series of bends past the Co-op. If you go into Google earth you can actually see the pitch.

Thanks. I'm from Killarney so if I get to the co-op I know I've gone too far. Cheers

Advertisement