Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Plans for Post Office relocation had been drawn up long before it was leaked to the media and made public, however with due respects to "Church Street", it was no harm and it did no harm, for the townspeople to register their displeasure on the imminent closing of the office in William Street, this was done so in the knowledge of it been " Fait Accompli "
    Yesterday, Monday, at around 2.00 pm, I had occasion to go to post a letter in the post box outside the closed office, I did not post, as there was no collection time on the box, nor was there any notice on the building informing people of the closure and re-location, returning home I contacted customer services at the GPO, ( the crowd in Dublin!) by 4.30 pm, both had been rectified, 2 notice's on the front door (informing the public of the move and thanking them for past custom) and a new collection plaque on the post box, even though I am still trying to figure it out, it states "Last Collection 4.15 pm" and underneath it says, " Later Collection 5.30 pm"
    Henceforth, the Post Office will operate from the new premises , I am sure people will use it as before and I will finish with words, and a phrase that a townsman, long dead, used say, " dogs bark and caravans move on "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Just curious, as a Listowel blow-in, what is the issue with the move? I can't see the problem myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

The impact it will have on the surrounding businesses, and the fact it was done with no consultation with the people who use the post office. I think the relocation is a good idea personally, but I understand where they are coming from.

I was in Supervalu today: they had someone manning the car park stopping people who shouldn't have been using them using the disabled spots and parent and child and senior spots. I was delighted it's a massive bug bear of mine. So massive kudos due there. It was very busy there today.

The Sluagh Hall ( Old F.C.A. headquarters )
    If the current rumor doing the rounds is correct, we shortly will have a new veterinary clinic occupying the Sluagh Hall. The following is from Vincent Carmody's "Snapshots of an Irish Market Town"
    " Patrick O Neill, egg and poultry exporter, located his place of business from the 1890s at the top end of Upper William Street, by the side of the old railway bridge. The building was afterwards used , along with adjacent properties, as headquarters for the L.D.F. ( Local Defence Force) during what was known as ' The Emergency', or the years of the Second World War. The post-war period saw the emergence of the F.C.A. ( Forsa Cosanta Aitiuil ) and a refurbishment of the hall. It became known as the Sluagh Hall. It was equipped with a stage, and this served two purposes - to facilitate the mounting of a boxing ring and also a much sought after venue for the newly-formed Listowel Drama Group to stage their plays "
    Along with the central hall, it contained offices and store rooms on the street side, the long room on the opposite side was used as a firing range.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

boroman wrote: »
    The Sluagh Hall ( Old F.C.A. headquarters )
    If the current rumor doing the rounds is correct, we shortly will have a new veterinary clinic occupying the Sluagh Hall. The following is from Vincent Carmody's "Snapshots of an Irish Market Town"
    " Patrick O Neill, egg and poultry exporter, located his place of business from the 1890s at the top end of Upper William Street, by the side of the old railway bridge. The building was afterwards used , along with adjacent properties, as headquarters for the L.D.F. ( Local Defence Force) during what was known as ' The Emergency', or the years of the Second World War. The post-war period saw the emergence of the F.C.A. ( Forsa Cosanta Aitiuil ) and a refurbishment of the hall. It became known as the Sluagh Hall. It was equipped with a stage, and this served two purposes - to facilitate the mounting of a boxing ring and also a much sought after venue for the newly-formed Listowel Drama Group to stage their plays "
    Along with the central hall, it contained offices and store rooms on the street side, the long room on the opposite side was used as a firing range.

The rumour two weeks ago was it was going to be a filling station.

• Advertisement

God I'd say that building needs massive refurbishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Knoc

Austin Stack had relations in Listowel area, anyone know where are his letters.
    Irish Press 1931-1995, Tuesday, December 09, 1952; Page: 6
    An Austin Stack Letter
    THE two men disagreed
    violently on political matters, but that didn't prevent Austin Stack and James Clarke, the Ballybunion merchant, from being excellent friends. The fact that the Republican leader wrote to Mr. Clarke from Richmond Barracks, Dublin, on June 10. 1916, on one of Air. Clarke's billheads showed how close was the friendship. The document is a little browned with age now, but Stack's clear hand can still be read. I got it through a Galway priest from a nun in the Isle of Wight with the suggestion that it should be sent to the 1916 Collection.
    " My dear Jem," the letter opens, and there follows the remark: "You so loyal may not expect a letter from a rebel. . . " After inquiring for Mrs. Clarke and the family, the information is given that " I am to be tried next week, and maybe I shall see you all before the end of the summer." The hardships of imprisonment in Tralee, Spike Island and Dublin make Stack think of the sea breezes of Ballybunion, and he expresses the longing to join his friends down there for a holiday.
    The rebel Is optimistic. " With a fair trial I should be acquitted as there is really no evidence against me, but these court-martial proceedings are farcical, if I may use the word with regard to matters so serious. . . . Of course, to you this may be rank sedition, but you have long known my sentiments."
    Stack informs his friend that things in the prisons have been fairly good since Asquith's visit but stresses that " it was not for love of us" that the British Prime Minister ordered better treatment — public opinion, especially in America, had been responsive. And again: "This Rising has resulted in good already and further victory is to come, for Imperialism in this country is done with for ever . .Every conviction brings us nearer the goal, so I shall welcome my sentence if I get one. I only envy the brave men who fell for Ireland while I was as a rat in a trap." It is part of history now that Stack was arrested for his work in preparing for the landing of the German arms. His trial followed the pattern of the period and he was sentenced to death, but this was commuted to twenty years' penal servitude, which ended with the. general amnesty in June 1917. He was afterwards Minister for Home Affairs in the Republican Government. He did forty-one days on hunger strike while a Republican prisoner in 1923. He died in 1929.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Knoc wrote: »
    Austin Stack had relations in Listowel area, anyone know where are his letters.
    Irish Press 1931-1995, Tuesday, December 09, 1952; Page: 6
    An Austin Stack Letter
    THE two men disagreed
    violently on political matters, but that didn't prevent Austin Stack and James Clarke, the Ballybunion merchant, from being excellent friends. The fact that the Republican leader wrote to Mr. Clarke from Richmond Barracks, Dublin, on June 10. 1916, on one of Air. Clarke's billheads showed how close was the friendship. The document is a little browned with age now, but Stack's clear hand can still be read. I got it through a Galway priest from a nun in the Isle of Wight with the suggestion that it should be sent to the 1916 Collection.
    " My dear Jem," the letter opens, and there follows the remark: "You so loyal may not expect a letter from a rebel. . . " After inquiring for Mrs. Clarke and the family, the information is given that " I am to be tried next week, and maybe I shall see you all before the end of the summer." The hardships of imprisonment in Tralee, Spike Island and Dublin make Stack think of the sea breezes of Ballybunion, and he expresses the longing to join his friends down there for a holiday.
    The rebel Is optimistic. " With a fair trial I should be acquitted as there is really no evidence against me, but these court-martial proceedings are farcical, if I may use the word with regard to matters so serious. . . . Of course, to you this may be rank sedition, but you have long known my sentiments."
    Stack informs his friend that things in the prisons have been fairly good since Asquith's visit but stresses that " it was not for love of us" that the British Prime Minister ordered better treatment — public opinion, especially in America, had been responsive. And again: "This Rising has resulted in good already and further victory is to come, for Imperialism in this country is done with for ever . .Every conviction brings us nearer the goal, so I shall welcome my sentence if I get one. I only envy the brave men who fell for Ireland while I was as a rat in a trap." It is part of history now that Stack was arrested for his work in preparing for the landing of the German arms. His trial followed the pattern of the period and he was sentenced to death, but this was commuted to twenty years' penal servitude, which ended with the. general amnesty in June 1917. He was afterwards Minister for Home Affairs in the Republican Government. He did forty-one days on hunger strike while a Republican prisoner in 1923. He died in 1929.

Austin stack has relations in Tralee too! I am his great-grand niece! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paul471966

Any one doing the cork marathon in June?ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Wow, didn't see an email telling me there had been new posts here! I thought things had got very quiet!

I got a text to say that Listowel was on the telly tonight, but I missed it. Did anybody catch it? I heard Billy Keane spoke very well.

By the way, random question, but would anybody have a Lego Skeleton lying around that they don't want?! I'm looking for one for an art project of sorts! Long shot, I know.

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Austin stack has relations in Tralee too! I am his great-grand niece! 😀

Austin Stack had relations at 26 Church Street in Listowel and he used stay with them on occasion. This was related to me by a lovely lady, Mai Quillinan, who had been a librarian in Dublin, Mai came to live with an elderly aunt on her retirement in Listowel. They lived in a well documented house at number 26 Church Street, known as the Emporium. The frontage of which is now regarded as one of the master plaster craftsman, Pat McAuliffe's, finest pieces of his unique craft. A photograph of the top frontage can be seen on page 158 of Carmody's " Snapshot of an Irish Market Town".
    In another publication, "Streets of Listowel" published by the North Kerry Architectural Survey Committee in 1987, The Emporium is described as follows,

" A delightful fusion of Celtic, Eastern and American influences, this facade, built circa 1840 is a spectacular memorial to Pat McAuliffe's artistry and workmanship.
    There is a progression in detail from top to bottom. The ground floor has a distinctive scroll-like name fascia, now bereft of title, with a raised Celtic plaster design on either side. There is a row of 'egg and dart' decoration underneath the cornice. The large window is protected by a wooden railing -an important consideration on fair days.
    The first storey is more elaborate - two dragon-like creatures 'support' a curved name fascia on which the word " Emporium" was once written. Shafts on either side bear a repeating Celtic interlace.
    The second storey has two pilasters with a changing etched design on the shaft and a swan motif on the capital.
    An American eagle crowns the building and sits on a panel which bears two lions heads, a sunburst and the inscription " E Pluribus Unum" - meaning " One out of many". Two horses are in attendance on either side, completing what is an unacclaimed work of art"
    Among memorabilia that I have, is a black bordered, thank you card, which bears the legend, " Mrs Austin Stack returns sincere thanks for your very kind sympathy in her great sorrow" with the address and date underneath, "Sea Bank, Merrion, Dublin. May 1929.

In my piece on the Austin Stack and his connection with Church Street, I should have mentioned that Mai Quillinan's aunt was Bridget Stack. The Stack family originated in Carhoowearagh, Moyvane. Owing to the fact that this area was home to so many Stack families, each were known by particular nick-names, in this case, Bridget's family went by the pre-fix, Morrisin Tom's.
    Another descendant of those Stacks were mentioned in a footnote in Fr. Anthony Gaughan's " Listowel and its Vicinity" page 109, it mentions,
    "From the time the North Kerry Nationalist MP, Michael J Flavin, entered Parliament in 1896 until he retired in 1918, he was opposed in the polls on only one occasion. This was in 1910 when he easily dismissed the challenge of Thomas Neville Stack, who stood as an Independent Nationalist. A son of Thomas Neville Stack, who bore the same name as his father, was later a distinguished airman, and was largely responsible for interesting Miss Lily Dillon ( daughter of Dr. J. T. Dillon, The Square, Listowel) in flying. Miss Dillon was one of the first women to own her own plane, and was a well known figure at international air rallies in the early 1930's"
    A story related to me by Mai that he aunt told her, was, Sir Arthur Vicars ( shot by the IRA in 1921) when in town would in the late afternoon, call to Stacks shop for some confectionery, prior to returning to Kilmorna House. The Stacks had a custom of leaving buns and cakes at the end of the counter covered by a cloth, however when they knew of Vicar's impending call, the confectionery was quickly removed as he had 2 small pekineses dogs which he used put up on the counter to run free while shopping there.
    Mai thought that Vicars gave custom to the Stacks as the families were from the general Kilmorna area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

In my piece on the Austin Stack and his connection with Church Street, I should have mentioned that Mai Quillinan's aunt was Bridget Stack. The Stack family originated in Carhoowearagh, Moyvane. Owing to the fact that this area was home to so many Stack families, each were known by particular nick-names, in this case, Bridget's family went by the pre-fix, Morrisin Tom's.
    Another descendant of those Stacks were mentioned in a footnote in Fr. Anthony Gaughan's " Listowel and its Vicinity" page 109, it mentions,
    "From the time the North Kerry Nationalist MP, Michael J Flavin, entered Parliament in 1896 until he retired in 1918, he was opposed in the polls on only one occasion. This was in 1910 when he easily dismissed the challenge of Thomas Neville Stack, who stood as an Independent Nationalist. A son of Thomas Neville Stack, who bore the same name as his father, was later a distinguished airman, and was largely responsible for interesting Miss Lily Dillon ( daughter of Dr. J. T. Dillon, The Square, Listowel) in flying. Miss Dillon was one of the first women to own her own plane, and was a well known figure at international air rallies in the early 1930's"
    A story related to me by Mai that he aunt told her, was, Sir Arthur Vicars ( shot by the IRA in 1921) when in town would in the late afternoon, call to Stacks shop for some confectionery, prior to returning to Kilmorna House. The Stacks had a custom of leaving buns and cakes at the end of the counter covered by a cloth, however when they knew of Vicar's impending call, the confectionery was quickly removed as he had 2 small pekineses dogs which he used put up on the counter to run free while shopping there.
    Mai thought that Vicars gave custom to the Stacks as the families were from the general Kilmorna area.

have you seen the group on Facebook regarding the various Stack families?
    You do have to request to join, but here's the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/stackfamily1/?fref=ts

There was also a Stack's family gathering in 2012/13? which as far as I remember took place in Listowel!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ChurchStreet

Question:
    I once read somewhere that Constable Jeremiah Mee came from County Roscommon, can any one on the thread confirm this?

I have Father Tony Gaughan's book on the life of Constable Mee somewhere in the house, but cannot put my hand on it. From memory I think that he was from Galway, I have some idea it was from a place called Williamstown or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Leo Whelan RHA was one of Ireland's premier artists. He died in 1956, and I believe Dublin City Council are honouring his contribution with a plaque at his home in Eccles Street. His family hailed from the Crotta area - father Maurice Whelan left Kerry for Dublin in the late 1800's and his aunt was the mother of famous entertainer Jack Cruise.Does anyone have any info of the family?

I do not know if the following information is any good to you,
    A Maurice Whelan married Mary Cruise in Tralee on October first 1881. Maurice was son of Henry Whelan.
    Mary's father was Michael, I also found a record of a marriage of Michael Cruise and Ellen Gallagher on 21/1/1850. Could these have been Mary's parents ?
    Happy to be of help.

Thank you boroman for your info. I appreciate your effort. I'm afraid it's not the same family. Leo's aunt who was also Whelan married an Englishman named Cruise. I think her first name was Bridie or Brigid. They may have moved from Kerry earlier than I had thought. Also I believe that Maurice's wife was born in England.

On second thoughts boroman - Maurice ( Leo's father ) married a woman called Mary. I'm just considering if it's possible that a brother and sister of one family married a brother and sister of another family. It has happened in a few cases that I know of, and Leo's actual first name was Michael. No Henry in the family though, that's unusual as I believe that it was customary at the time to name the first male child after his paternal grandfather. Thanks again for the info.

Hope everyone enjoyed the parade today! Great effort by everyone involved... Although I've got to say the guard falling off his bike and taking a bow afterwards was a particular highlight ;)

• Advertisement

I bet that he was bagged as soon as he got back to base !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

In response to ChurchStreet's query of 3/11/15 as to where Constable Jeremiah Mee came from, Fr. Gaughan's book states that Mee was born in Knickanes, Glenamaddy, Co. Galway, on 29 Mar, 1889 on a 21 acre farm. So Boroman was on the ball!

The last time Boroman kicked a ball was in a memorable victory over a gallant Ashes team in a Town League final sometime in the mid '70s !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

The last time Boroman kicked a ball was in a memorable victory over a gallant Ashes team in a Town League final sometime in the mid '70s !!!

I suppose any victory by the Boro over the Ashes would have been memorable. Lol!

As a relative blow-in to Listowel (3 years) I must say I really like the town but what the hell is it with people's "parking" in town? I've never seen such daft abandonment of cars without a second thought anywhere else in the country. Particular bugbears would be outside John Sextons in the left turn lane and outside Mama Mia's. The one-way system is bad enough in town without contributing to the gridlock by parking in these spots and blocking lanes. I won't even mention Market st. Rant over

xxyyzz wrote: »
    As a relative blow-in to Listowel (3 years) I must say I really like the town but what the hell is it with people's "parking" in town? I've never seen such daft abandonment of cars without a second thought anywhere else in the country. Particular bugbears would be outside John Sextons in the left turn lane and outside Mama Mia's. The one-way system is bad enough in town without contributing to the gridlock by parking in these spots and blocking lanes. I won't even mention Market st. Rant over

Its funny you say that! I was there a month or two ago, and we had gone down a lane (don't ask me where, no idea of the street names!), and were about to drive down it when we noticed a car parked right in front of the lane, and no way to drive out it! Thankfully we were able to turn off another way, but I couldn't believe someone would park in front of a laneway...why like!? :eek:

And then there was Supervalu

jWQ2XKn.jpg

Many many years ago, a brother of mine, home from Sydney, spent some time observing cars, stopping at Upper William Street in order for their owners to avail of services at the post office, afterwards he remarked to me, " those drivers don't park their cars, they abandon them".
    That was 40 years ago, so things have not changed !!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

xxyyzz wrote: »

I have driven a lot around the country and the roundabout that frustrates me the most (and I used to drive around the old Kinsale Road roundabout a lot) is the one linking half way through the John B Keane road near the cinema.

Now there is nothing confusing about it (save the pedestrian crossings on it which don't help things) but this must have the greatest concentration of people who don't know how to use roundabouts in the country using it.

I have seen people drive the wrong way around it try to go "right", I have seen people stopping when they see a car (which isn't on the roundabout or wouldn't be entering the roundabout before them) and just wait and wait and wait. I have seen people pull out in front of me when I am on the roundabout. Rarely do I see people indicate when they are exiting.

Anybody learning how to drive should go and stand by the roundabout for 10 minutes and they would learn how not to use roundabouts:mad:

• Advertisement

Oh indicating is optional around here: and I have NEVER in 6 years seen anybody get a ticket for parking on double yellows outside Supervalu, the deli, mamma mias or anywhere else! Id hazard a guess that most people don't pay for parking in listowel either ;)

Oh and parent and child spots are for anyone but parents and children!

Advertisement