Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Parish Newsletter for the 7th September 2014 can be found here for anyone interested:

http://www.dioceseofkerry.ie/media/uploads/23rd%20Sunday%20in%20Ordinary%20Time%207-9-14.doc

Hope everyone here is enjoying the good weather... Been in the park everyday this week it is just gorgeous down there. Can't wait for the amusements... Anyone know when they are opening?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

cyning wrote: »
    Parish Newsletter for the 7th September 2014 can be found here for anyone interested:

http://www.dioceseofkerry.ie/media/uploads/23rd%20Sunday%20in%20Ordinary%20Time%207-9-14.doc

Hope everyone here is enjoying the good weather... Been in the park everyday this week it is just gorgeous down there. Can't wait for the amusements... Anyone know when they are opening?

Friday evening I think. That way it gives Birds two weekends to bleed us parents!

Friday evening I think. That way it gives Birds two weekends to bleed us parents!

I just want the candy floss ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

I thought that it was Friday as well, but it was open last night. Great weather for the big wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

[IMG][/img]DSC_0215.jpg
    DSC_0222.jpg
    Ballybunion this morning about 10.30, I was surprised to see the beach so quiet, usually during race week there would be a share of hangovers being cured by the sea air.
    There were some waves for the surfers to catch, looks like our high is moving away from the south west so the course will probably be getting a drop of rain in the next day or so.
    There were a share of sea birds feeding off shore, there is a fantastic run of mackerel on at the moment, Fenit is doing well catch wise.

• Advertisement

Doing the town park walk this morning I saw something that triggered memories of growing up in the 60's. I passed the "conker" tree near the former town dump and the ground around it was covered with horse chestnuts. This would have been a treasure trove to me when I was small but I guess the kids of today have more interesting things to do with their time than playing with conkers.
    [IMG][/img]chestnuttree.jpg
    [IMG][/img]chestnuts.jpg

I missed my walk in park this morn with rain: so off to pick up conkers with my little one now the sun is back out! Thank you so much :) I haven't seen them all week so either I'm super unobservant (very possible!) or they are not along the outside path I'm going to be conker hunting!!

Conker tournament on Saturday morning anyone!!!

Oh, while I think of it, I have a friend from France who has arrived in Listowel in the last few days, and will be living here for a year. I'm aware of the existence of au pairs of various nationalities in and around town, and I'm fairly sure they have some sort of network, but no idea who to talk to in order to put her in touch with them.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Japandamo wrote: »
    Conker tournament on Saturday morning anyone!!!
    Was it Billy Keane that did Nunday somebody should suggest to him that he should sponsor an all Ireland conker championship final to be held in Listowel of course:D

• Advertisement

Got no conkers but there was kids collecting them and blackberry picking too :D

Market street this morning, novel way to move firewood, win me for a fiver.

[IMG][/img]DSC_0289.jpg

[IMG][/img]DSC_0288.jpg

[IMG][/img]DSC_0287.jpg

Ugh I hate, hate, hate the horse fair! I know it's a tradition etc but I utterly hate it!

I do like the firewood idea though!

I love the photos though Mikehn so please do keep them coming :)

cyning wrote: »
    Ugh I hate, hate, hate the horse fair! I know it's a tradition etc but I utterly hate it!

Woah! Get off the fence and tell us what you really think! ;-)

Can't say I'm a huge fan either, but great to see town busy. At least, there is nowhere to park, although there didn't seem to be that many people around...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

Coffee Morning is on this Friday Morning at Christy's in the square in aid of the Listowel Hospice. There'll be loads of sweet goodies, some caffeine or a cuppa tae if you need it.... And lots of prizes donated kindly from the generous businesses in town. They had to reschedule it from last time because not many people showed up and they would have actually made a loss on it. All the proceeds of course are going towards the Hospice in Listowel (At listowel hospital near the convent)
    So if any of you are about, please drop in, it would be great to see your faces!

ella23 wrote: »
    Coffee Morning is on this Friday Morning in aid of the Listowel Hospice. There'll be loads of sweet goodies, some caffeine or a cuppa tae if you need it.... And lots of prizes donated kindly from the generous businesses in town. They had to reschedule it from last time because not many people showed up and they would have actually made a loss on it. All the proceeds of course are going towards the Hospice in Listowel (At listowel hospital near the convent)
    So if any of you are about, please drop in, it would be great to see your faces!

Is it still on in the Mermaids?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

Hi Michael, no it's been moved the Christy's since last year. :) Sorry, just realised there I didn't put in the location!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Knoc

Do you want me to keep the Listowel blog alive

Knoc wrote: »
    Do you want me to keep the Listowel blog alive

What Listowel blog? Nice to see you posting again :)

• Advertisement

Passed up William street this evening.

Is it the worst main road in the country now?

Its disgraceful the condition the road is in!

Surprised this hasn't been brought up already, but has anyone else any problems with being charged for the water we're receiving in town?

I moved here after living in Tralee just over a year ago and I find it fairly poor. Also, having spent a lot of time and money at doctors and nutritionists and, weeks on exclusion diets trying to figure out what has been aggravating a dry skin problem, I discovered that a filtered shower head has completely sorted it out.

What can they be putting in the bloody water that's so much harsher than Tralee? Is it the chlorine, and if so, why so much of it?

I would also be of the opinion that fluoride has no business in there.

Anyway, not usually one for giving out, but have been brewing this for some time.

Did anyone go to the Cube in the Arms last weekend?

I'm from Tralee and have never ever drank the water here it is so manky. It's gotten worse lately, more chloriney? No idea why though... Might be a question to ask our local county councillors?

Today's march against water charges in Listowel.
    A fair turnout considering the day and the weather. At least it keeps the antiwater charge profile high for the moment. I find the water quality in Listowel ok, I fill from the tap but I suppose you get used to anything over time. At least its better than when the Council were pumping water from below at the Spa and the town refuse landfill was about 30metres uphill from it. It must have taken many a bag of chlorine to purify that water:D.

[IMG][/img]march.jpg

There was a good crowd there: though the quality of some of the speeches left a lot to be desired. I had my kids there (and they weren't the only ones) so didn't appreciate the idiot f-ing and blinding into the megaphone! Also seriously our children aren't dying from lack of access to clean drinking water so giving out about encouraging us to give money to trocaire so people in Africa can have free water? That argument made no sense to me. Aside from that it was great to see the turn out. I'm not sure it will make a difference but I hope the government take note of people's anger.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I hear there was about 2,500 in the Listowel march!? we had about 4,000 in Tralee (despite various people & media outlets trying to make it a lot lower!). Well done to all for turning out in such bad weather!

Definitely not 2500 but not the 500 I've seen reported either! I'd say maybe 1500 ish?

A familiar face to Listowel people, particularly McKennas customers.
    Junior got a surprise at the weekend at a meeting in Tralee where he was honoured for 50 years of Badminton committee service. He was almost caught for words. Great credit is due to him for his dedication in developing badminton in Listowel.
    [IMG][/img]junior50inbadminton.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please can anyone from Listowel let me know of any Christmas Craft events? I know there was one last year near the market place but it was full. I have searched online and cannot find anything. Would love alo to trade at the Friday market juts before Christmas a I have done the last two years but need email contact as I am without a proper phone connection where I am. Every cent I earn there goes to care for the homeless and abandoned babies in India and it is all my own hand work THANK YOU!

• Advertisement

Sunday 23rd November in the Community Centre :) number is 068 22244 for more information.

Advertisement