Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

I'm missing the church newsletter, will it be back soon?

Lurkers have invaded the thread again.
    Happened before.
    Thankfully Knoc took over, yet he/she is now being criticized.
    Hope Knoc can turn the other cheek and keep posting.
    As an expat i miss the letter too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Lurkers have invaded the thread again.
    Happened before.
    Thankfully Knoc took over, yet he/she is now being criticized.
    Hope Knoc can turn the other cheek and keep posting.
    As an expat i miss the letter too.

Its more suited to the religious threads to be honest. Most of it was just Spam anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Its more suited to the religious threads to be honest. Most of it was just Spam anyway!

I have not posted here in years as I was made to feel unwelcome. i continue to check in though and to read the church newsletter every week.

Now I see that Knoc has been made to feel unwelcome as well.

What is the purpose of the Listowel thread?
    I thought it was to post items of interest to people who want to know about Listowel, Co. Kerry.

Readers are free to read whatever they want. For one, I enjoyed those "walls of text". There was often an amazing amount of historical information in there, if you worked through the lack of formatting.

"All God's creatures have a place in the choir." Surely we can live and let live.

The thread is a poorer place for the alienation of people like Knoc and Poundlaner, people with a genuine love for Listowel and its people and a genuine desire to keep the diaspora in touch with home.

Sorry for being so preachy but I think that that will fit in with the current tone of the thread, where there seems to be more time for critics than for positive posters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

quote="Cherry Tree;91764888"]I have not posted here in years as I was made to feel unwelcome. i continue to check in though and to read the church newsletter every week.

Now I see that Knoc has been made to feel unwelcome as well.

What is the purpose of the Listowel thread?
    I thought it was to post items of interest to people who want to know about Listowel, Co. Kerry.

Readers are free to read whatever they want. For one, I enjoyed those "walls of text". There was often an amazing amount of historical information in there, if you worked through the lack of formatting.

"All God's creatures have a place in the choir." Surely we can live and let live.

The thread is a poorer place for the alienation of people like Knoc and Poundlaner, people with a genuine love for Listowel and its people and a genuine desire to keep the diaspora in touch with home.

Sorry for being so preachy but I think that that will fit in with the current tone of the thread, where there seems to be more time for critics than for positive posters.[/quote]

Why not just post a link for the newsletter then? And any one that wants to read it can click on it.
    It takes all of three seconds to Google Listowel church newsletter.

Instead of flooding a thread about a town, with religious preachings. There is a forum for that kind of thing.

There is a structure to Boards.ie, where as you say everything has its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Seeing as someone referenced "walls of text" which is what I said; I stand by what I said. I have no problem whatsoever with the church newsletter being posted. None. I enjoy reading it myself. Lovely writer posted it for ages with no issues. What I was referencing was the copying and pasting of pages upon pages of nothing: people who died 100 years ago etc. Seriously boards is a discussion site. This is the Kerry forum, not a heritage forum. That sort of posting killed this thread and I am not sorry it's not allowed.

The Listowel thread is not a blog. Look at the Tralee/Killarney/Ballybunion threads. Now look at the Listowel one. There could well be a bit of life breathed into this thread again, but people need to post, not get frustrated that the Kerry forum is not the place for archive posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

It might be worth pointing out that this is the first free flowing conversation that this thread has seen in quite a while.

Which is nice.

I for one, am with cyning and others who felt that an overload of text combined with very regular posting meant that any posts made in between were very soon buried and lost forever, making discussion like this impossible.

Fair play to Knoc for his/her commitment, and all the work put in, because I'm sure it wasn't easy, and it's obvious that it was appreciated by the diaspora and others, but there must be a happy medium where we can have a chat without having to look back through several pages for the last post on the topic.

But now that we're back chatting, can we not all just get along and talk about what's going on in Listowel.

I'll start:

I was up at the Famine Graveyard yesterday. It was looking lovely. The Tidy Towns crowd have really outdone themselves this year.

Your turn.

Sounds like a lovely plan Japandamo! I walk into the famine graveyard frequently enough when I'm out walking... In fairness the tidy town committee members do amazing work. Think they are always on the look out for new members too :)

cyning wrote: »
    Sounds like a lovely plan Japandamo! I walk into the famine graveyard frequently enough when I'm out walking... In fairness the tidy town committee members do amazing work. Think they are always on the look out for new members too :)

I for one would be thrilled to see this thread return to what it was. Could I plead with Knoc to continue to post the newsletter.

Michael 999999's suggestion to post a link will not be acceptable to the moderator.

Below is a post from the moderator to me and a reply from EJmaztec

"OK that's it, that is the last link to your blog Cherry Tree, its non profit so I have allowed the links to remain, but its still advertising, so please refrain from posting any more links to it." Mod to me

"I had absolutely nothing to do with what happened here, and complained to no-one (as no doubt the mod will confirm). I know that this site has got a "thing" about links to other sites in posts, because I believe Boards doesn't like generating traffic to other websites.

I never make unfounded assumptions and I don't see why others shouldn't follow that same policy." Ejmaztec in 2011

The local Tidy Town Committee do a brilliant job. The Famine Graveyard is just one case in point. It's great to see their work praised here. Why not take your camera on your next visit, Cyning

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Re the Famine Graveyard, back around 1962 a local council employee named Timmy Daly tried to resurrect the Boy Scouts in Listowel. One of the first projects he got the kids involved in was trying to preserve the Famine Graveyard from further deterioration. He and some of the local kids raised funds and did a fair bit of work on the graveyard which was being grazed on by cattle at the time. They cut back the growth and put up wire fencing around the boundary to keep out straying animals.They did no further work on it as Timmy failed to get the Scout project off the ground and emigrated shortly thereafter to the UK.

I love the little chapel in the famine graveyard too: reminds me of some of the small chapels in Lourdes. I actually have never met anyone else in there I wonder is it utilised much? It's such a quiet place. I didn't realise there was efforts as far back as the 60s to rejuvenate it. It's such a peaceful place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 paul471966

Anyone goin to eletric picnic😎😈

paul471966 wrote: »
    Anyone goin to eletric picnic😎😈

Nope, sorry. Hope you have a great time, and I'm told that there will be people going to it. So don't worry!

Just floating this to see if we could get a gang of boardies together for an afternoon or evening at some stage. Perhaps in October, just to give people time to think about it, and to let us recover from the races.

I think it would be nice to put some faces to usernames and it's always good to get to know more people in town.

Proposed format would be to meet in a bar or restaurant, or one followed by the other, and shoot the breeze for a bit. Bring a friend along as backup and to beef up numbers.

I have absolutely no idea what the reaction to this is going to be, but no harm in putting it out there.

Wow, maybe we're not quite there yet then.

Sorry Japandamo never got notification of your last post: meeting is not really an option for me unless anyone wants a morning in the park playing on the swings at some stage!! I have two smallies and it's hard enough to get out with them (or without them!!). It's a great idea though :)

I, for one, love the swings. And don't have kids to legitimise using them, so as long as you'll give me a push I'm game ;)

Seriously though, if there were a few folks in the same boat we could have a family day/morning in the park...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I think a meet-up is a good idea. I'm in .... as long as Ballybunioners are allowed! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Not sure that this is the right place for this but here goes - I'm looking for a copy of "The Valley of Knockanure" on DVD. It was the independent movie produced in 2009 (?) about the Black and Tan killings of three IRA volunteers that took place in 1921. I believe that the DVD was only available locally and I'd be very grateful for any information. Thanks in advance.

The Island is getting its trim before the races
    [IMG][/img]island.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jadytte

I like the picture Mikehn, I didn't notice that when I passed earlier at all!

RE boardie meetup, really, a Ballybunioner attending?! I'm out :P Haha, just kidding. Sounds cool, count me as preliminarily in for the meetup too :)

Hope you had fun at the Picnic Paul! I really must make that some year... I hear they released the tickets for next years already!

I'm afraid I don't have a copy of Valley of Knockanure Del.Monte, nor do I know where you could get your hands on one, I'm sorry to say... Good luck in your search! Have you tried one of the local historical groups?

• Advertisement

[IMG][/img]DSC_0130.jpg
    [IMG][/img]DSC_0132.jpg
    [IMG][/img]DSC_0139.jpg
    Beautiful evening here in Listowel, the darn clouds have finally moved on so I decided to take the dog up to the spa well, a route that I have'nt taken for years. I was gobsmacked to find the the golf course is no more, its a loss but I suppose the revenues did'nt keep it afloat, pity. Still its still a lovely walk:rolleyes:

I think a meet-up is a good idea. I'm in .... as long as Ballybunioners are allowed! ;-)

Heya!

Sorry, bit of a mad week.

By all means, let's get the folks from Ballybunion and, dare I say it...Kilflynn!

The more the merrier!

This is like a breath of fresh air on this thread….stunning photographs Mike H. and news….This is the first I heard that Listowel Golf Course was gone. What a pity!
    I tried to add a photo but it asked me for my image's url!!!! I have no idea what that's all about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

I tried to add a photo but it asked me for my image's url!!!! I have no idea what that's all about

How to Get the URL for Pictures

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-the-URL-for-Pictures

Nice link to an interview with Kieran Gleeson who operates the Classic Cinema here in Listowel http://filmireland.net/2011/02/15/keeping-it-in-the-family-independent-cinemas-in-kerry/
    I havent seen him for some time but it turns out that he has been unwell for a while, hopefully he will be back in action soon. I have never met a man more committed to what he was doing, he really loves the silver screen. Its more to him than just a money earner. My Father known for his words of wisdom used to say that "If a man finds a job that he truly enjoys doing and gets paid for it than he has found his job for life" So it is with Kieran.

This is like a breath of fresh air on this thread….stunning photographs Mike H. and news….This is the first I heard that Listowel Golf Course was gone. What a pity!
    Hi Cherry Tree
    If Power Gears method doesnt work out I use photobucket. Just log onto their site and register, its free to use and its great to throw up photos and if you make your albums public then family friends whoever can access them online, If I want to put a photo up on this site all I have to do is click on the URL bar next to the photo bucket image, then click on the image that looks like an envelope on this site, and copy the URL onto that job done.
    I uploaded a series of photos on a restoration job that I did some time ago, see the link below, I made this particular album public and by putting up a link for the first photo then anybody can follow the series of photos.
    .http://s256.photobucket.com/user/mikehn1/library/Cheltenham%20restoration?sort=6&page=1

Some of our listowel thespians (The Magic Stew Theatre Co.) are treading the boards in the Glorach theatre in Abbeyfeale tonight, It's Chris Fitzgeralds production of the Lonesome West featuring Listowel locals Jack McKenna,Emer Hannon, Ciaran Brassil and Darren McDonnell. They ran this in St. John's for three nights recently and it was well received.
    [IMG][/img]glorach.jpg

Thanks for the advice but I thought that there might be a way I could post a picture without having to put it online somewhere first. Obviously not.

That's me done with Boards for a while. I'll return to my comfort zone where things seem less complicated.

mikehn wrote: »
    Some of our listowel thespians (The Magic Stew Theatre Co.) are treading the boards in the Glorach theatre in Abbeyfeale tonight, It's Chris Fitzgeralds production of the Lonesome West featuring Listowel locals Jack McKenna,Emer Hannon, Ciaran Brassil and Darren McDonnell. They ran this in St. John's for three nights recently and it was well received.
    [IMG][/img]glorach.jpg

Won't be able to make it myself tonight unfortunately, but hope that they get a good crowd. I heard great things about the show when it ran in Listowel, but unfortunately couldn't make it then either.

Next time, hopefully.

• Advertisement

Down by the river this morning and in the distance I saw that Birds have landed, their crane is in action to set up the big wheel.[IMG][/img]crane.jpg

Advertisement