Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Oh yes,one more thing junkyard, bit of a strange question,your latin tag,as far as i can translate it means "my dog will eat you",is that right?

Think it means 'my dog ate it'. I'm guessing that its a Bertie reference :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Yes,the MK4 always was that bit better looking than the cortina80,as it was called,as much as i wouldnt mind a ghia,a base 1300L would be equally as interesting!!
    Oh yes,one more thing junkyard, bit of a strange question,your latin tag,as far as i can translate it means "my dog will eat you",is that right?

the mk4 is now the rarest of Cortinas...at the Cortina Show on the Welsj Border last week there were about 6 there out of a feww hundred of other Mks....
    2hppypw.jpg

wasnt a lot of competition for a filthy car full of parts and junk....(and haviong a few dozen mates there voting helped too...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not sure if this counts as Classic, but seen it the other night on Clanbrassil St so I took a photo.

Volkswagen Karmann
    12062008001iv4.jpg
    vwkarmannky0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

Not sure if this counts as Classic, but seen it the other night on Clanbrassil St so I took a photo.
    Definitely a classic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Not sure if this counts as Classic
    Sure does Gavin. Nice one! :)

(Anything on ZV plates would be a (de facto) classic - i.e. an import [usually] that is more than 30 years old).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

corktina wrote: »
    the mk4 is now the rarest of Cortinas...at the Cortina Show on the Welsj Border last week there were about 6 there out of a feww hundred of other Mks....

Wow, where did they all go? Another banger racing favourite I guess :rolleyes:
    My dad used to have a green one (not a ghia or anything fancy) when we lived in Scotland - surprising I remember it so well as I was 3 when we left (and I remember the Cavalier before that too)! I broke the aerial twice and my brother (prob 5 at the time) managed to jump on the roof :pac:

Also, regarding the K10 Micra - anyone remember the really early pre-facelift ones with the deeper numberplate recess on the boot, Datsun branding and all? Here's the original March at least, from back when Japan still loved their mad wing mirrors:
    8209_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Yes, the MK3,4 and 5 cortinas were THE banger racer in their day,alongside the MK2 granada,many thousands went west and still are being raced these days.It was like ford build them for banger racing as they could take serious abuse and keep racing.Heres a shot from back in the day...
    A396_boston1990.jpg
    And as for your MK4 winning the trophy corktina,i bet there was no other lime green S there,it definatly stands out from the crowd:)!!What car came first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Also, regarding the K10 Micra - anyone remember the really early pre-facelift ones with the deeper numberplate recess on the boot, Datsun branding and all? Here's the original March at least, from back when Japan still loved their mad wing mirrors:

I remember them, the Datsun Micra as they were called. They only lasted till 1985 when the model got its first facelift. Haven't seen one of those early models in years.

Anyway, back on topic, I saw this nice looking LHD Irish-reg. Alfa Romeo Spider in Dun Laoighre earlier today:

f_Image006m_815a523.jpg

Yes, the MK3,4 and 5 cortinas were THE banger racer in their day,alongside the MK2 granada,many thousands went west and still are being raced these days.It was like ford build them for banger racing as they could take serious abuse and keep racing.Heres a shot from back in the day...
    A396_boston1990.jpg
    And as for your MK4 winning the trophy corktina,i bet there was no other lime green S there,it definatly stands out from the crowd:)!!What car came first?

a nice white Ghia i think

Saw an estionian nissan serena people carrier today with the reg 866AZR,kinda surreal to see an old irish number on a newish vehicle!!Couldnt get the irish equivilent on cartell though:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Saw an estionian nissan serena people carrier today with the reg 866AZR,kinda surreal to see an old irish number on a newish vehicle!!Couldnt get the irish equivilent on cartell though:(

I presume you mean it was an Estonian vehicle on Estonian plates which just happen to have the same format as our pre-87 series as do some other central European countries such as Hungary

jrar wrote: »
    I presume you mean it was an Estonian vehicle on Estonian plates which just happen to have the same format as our pre-87 series as do some other central European countries such as Hungary
    Yep,i didnt exactly word the last post very well did i:pac:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Saw this earlier on Jones' Road opposite croker - possibly with new wheels? (it's this one, but no camera so this is a pic of it I found via google).

I'd never seen one before VW SP2 from Brazil.

limerick41.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That car was up for sale on carzone quite recently.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Ok, not today but Monday, I saw this Rover P6 2200 in Finglas.

2591027828_48fa6959d1.jpg

Beautiful Jag spotted on Donabate beach.

JaguarZV2045.jpg

MG MGB spotted in Lusk.

MGMGBZV8873.jpg

And a Triumph Spitfire spotted in Ballsbridge.

TriumphSpitfireZV88405.jpg

Some Irish plate granada hearses i spotted(yes i know its morbid:D)I was bored!!on http://www.heavenlyhearses.com/Hearse_Pages/granada.html
    78GranadaSZW892lr.jpg
    82Granada896CLIrff.jpg
    Dscf0007.jpg

hope the body isnt rotten....:cool:

corktina wrote: »
    hope the body isnt rotten....:cool:
    Ah Jesus!

Theres actually a cortina hearse in my local scappy on an 84KY plate,yes84,it must have been sitting around for awhile,converted by a crowd called canterbury,2litre pinto and 4 speed floor change,it looks a bit silly though because its on a lenghtened P100 body,the owner of the yard wont sell and i havent a picture either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

from back when Japan still loved their mad wing mirrors:

they still love their wing mirrors, like this 2008 Toyota Century

c19649a.jpg

other cars available with these..

Nissan cedric taxi
    Toyota Crown Comfort taxi
    Nissan President
    Nissan Crew

and a number of SUV and landcruiser size vehicles that have only one
    wing mirror (known as a sports mirror) on the passenger side front wing.

280 SE spotted on North Great George's Street.

MercedesBenz280SEAutomatic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

280 SE spotted on North Great George's Street.

It lives there - owned by the proprietor of the Cobalt cafe.

alastair wrote: »
    It lives there - owned by the proprietor of the Cobalt cafe.
    I didn't know that - thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I came across these today, the heralds for sale for 950 euros and drives well but needs a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That Octavia looks nice (I hear they have big boot too :D)

peasant wrote: »
    That Octavia looks nice (I hear they have big boot too :D)
    :D:DI doubt its TDI though!!
    Irish reg too..late 61..unusual...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

skodas were sold around here in the 50s but I assumed they were RHD. Whats the history of this car? it looks pristine...are those plates original irish or is this a latvian or hungarian car?

Saw a black Morris Minor by the side of the road near Greystones today, looks like an original Irish car. For sale too, looks like it's been there for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

G Luxel wrote: »
    skodas were sold around here in the 50s but I assumed they were RHD. Whats the history of this car? it looks pristine...are those plates original irish or is this a latvian or hungarian car?

They appear to be 100% Irish plates - no reason to believe otherwise. Plate colour combinations and styles pre-87 were a varied lot !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement