Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

MercMad and carchaeologist, thanks for your comments

i've a bit of a photographic memory for registrations so i remember seeing that Variant listed in his diaries. Dad would get about 20 breakdowns a day, i used to go out with him on his late shift as a kid so there are thousands of cars listed.

I see a good few cars that Dad has worked on still about and at shows, he worked for Huet Motors for a good time before that in the sixties, stories of working on original Irish Facel Vegas made be sick to know the kind of car population we used to have.

Regards
    Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stinkydeluxe

DarenO wrote: »
    Brilliant to see 197 ZH is still going, my dad was a patrol for the AA from 1976 to the 1990s and he recorded every car he had broken down, it was easier for him to locate the car by registration when given poor locations/directions and that Variant was listed in his diaries as one he worked on (must find out what year.

Regards
    Darren

Always great to see cool variants. Theres already a lot been written about this one - Volksworld cover car earlier this year - LHD '67 imported from california & restored by type3detectives in UK. Imported a few months ago into ireland. Beautiful car. Google "squareblack" or check out http://www.type3detectives.com/ for more photos of it when it was called squareblack.

Jaysus tho, it must've been some slog for the poor irish AA man back & forth over to the US just to keep it going.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Always great to see cool variants. Theres already a lot been written about this one - Volksworld cover car earlier this year - LHD '67 imported from california & restored by type3detectives in UK. Imported a few months ago into ireland. Beautiful car. Google "squareblack" or check out http://www.type3detectives.com/ for more photos of it when it was called squareblack.

Jaysus tho, it must've been some slog for the poor irish AA man back & forth over to the US just to keep it going.....;)
    If it was only imported a few months ago then how did it get the ZH plates? Or am I missing something?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Anan1 wrote: »
    If it was only imported a few months ago then how did it get the ZH plates? Or am I missing something?:)
    Seems a bit silly to put a famous car like that on old numbers....?is it definatly the same car?

1075648_20080525090511_1.jpg
    1075648_20080525090523_2.jpg
    Spotted on carzone earlier....absolutly delicious!!!A serious rarity these days!!
    :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 stinkydeluxe

Seems a bit silly to put a famous car like that on old numbers....?is it definatly the same car?

I know - go figure :confused:
    definitely same car - tis on youtube too, heading over here.

That mirafiori is a cool car. Not many left at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

That mirafiori is a cool car. Not many left at all.
    I've never seen a Mirafiori four door sport before?:confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭rotorhead

Got this lot together at a recent Club meet

Spotted in tralee today,nice co clare zv reg Bmw 2002
    Image549.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Original Dublin registered Daimler spotted in Malahide this afternoon.

DaimlerIZJ224.jpg

• Advertisement

That reg would make it november 1966...nice to see it!!

Chrome bumper MGB at mondello today
    Image558.jpg
    And not strictly classic as they are just spaceframe singleseater cars with fibreglass bodies.I still think they look extremly retro though,and when theres 30 on the track together it looks even better.They are called legends and were racing at mondello today..
    Image552.jpg
    Image553.jpg
    Image554.jpg
    They use yamaha bike engines
    Image556.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

Very interesting, had another look at the car and it does not match the year of registration Oct 72, not being too knowledgeable on Type 3s are pre 69 indicators (front and back) and rear lights interchangeable with 70s models.

Seems to me there is something not quite right about this.

Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Anan1 wrote: »

...........I am reading between the lines here and assuming that just like the Beetle the body can be lifted off and old Irish Reg'd car and "Restored" completely by fitting a new one from a totally different car !!! :o

MercMad wrote: »
    ...........I am reading between the lines here and assuming that just like the Beetle the body can be lifted off and old Irish Reg'd car and "Restored" completely by fitting a new one from a totally different car !!! :o
    I dont think the variant was like that,though im not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Body and pan are separate like the beetle so it is possible to do a swap. Here it is during the build -

http://beakersblog.skynetblogs.be/post/4248805/squareblack-body-on

http://beakersblog.skynetblogs.be/post/4305353/late-night-squareblack

Thanks for that justin,i thought the variant was a monocoque,forgot that VW couldnt design any car until the golf(or maybe the K70,wasnt that the first watercooled vw?) without a separate beetle type chassis!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Now heres a rarity for ye, havnt seen one of these for ages!!An irish reg opel rekord!!
    Image533.jpg

Haha nice!

My Dad had two of those when I was younger. A bright green saloon and a red estate. The saloon's engine blew and it was scrapped to a guy out in Kinsealy, and the estate was gone before the saloon. I think we used it for parts for a while. Can't remember the years or reg of them. Damn comfy cars though! :cool:

I haven't seen any of the 80's Opels around in recent years, Rekords, Asconas and a few others. We also had a Metallic Gold '85 Ascona also at one stage, I can't remember what happened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭rotorhead

Thanks for that justin,i thought the variant was a monocoque,forgot that VW couldnt design any car until the golf(or maybe the K70,wasnt that the first watercooled vw?) without a separate beetle type chassis!!:)

The K70 was designed by NSU as sister car to the Ro80. See Link. A few of the earlier ones escaped with NSU badges
    VW I believe subsequently used the chassis as a basis for the Golf and Passat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_K70

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

A very nice 1973 Mustang Convertible and a Wolsley Hornet I spotted while out canvassing (for the wise option, YES of course) in Clontarf tonight.

mustang.jpg

wolsley.jpg

• Advertisement

I realise these are not classics but it's great to see some pre '87s in everyday use. :)

Dublin registered Dihatsu Charmant spotted on Cook Street (Dublin 8).

DihatsuCharmantLEZG8337.jpg

....and a Nissan Micra also on ZG plates, spotted on Hanbury Lane (Dublin 8).

NissanMicraGLZG1726.jpg

ZG - would that have been circa 1985?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The Charmant looks very original !

I believe that car was/is owned by an elderly couple in Malahide. it lloks remarkably well too, free of damage and rust.

"ZG" is a 1986 plate approximatley May & June IIRC

MercMad wrote: »
    The Charmant looks very original !

I believe that car was/is owned by an elderly couple in Malahide. it lloks remarkably well too, free of damage and rust
    Yes, it's in great order. The chap driving it appeared to be a monk/friar (Franciscan/Capucian?). He was wearing a brown habit and turned into the car park at the rear of Adam and Eve's Church on Merchant's Quay. Having a 22 year old car was probably intended as part of his vow of poverty but he probably doesn't realise how cool a pre '87 is now!
    MercMad wrote:
    "ZG" is a 1986 plate approximatley May & June IIRC
    Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I've seen that Charmant around a few times aswell. Looks better than many of the new cars around these days.

There is also a white '87 Charmant doing the rounds aswell. Very rare cars now indeed.

Good to see a pre-'87 K10 going around aswell.

My cousin (who also owns an '84 Reliant Rialto) recently bought this; a '76 (apparently) Land Rover Series III 109, complete with original Irish plates (88 TYI, anyone care to tell me what the exact year and county are please?). Can't remember what he said he paid for it, but it wasn't much. It's in need of some work, the chassis is fairly rotted and the brakes barely work, however, the engine is running strong. It's not the original engine, it's apparently a 2.5L Perkins diesel engine. It was originally yellow (possibly an ex-ESB vehicle?)

f_S2300157m_c2596ec.jpg

f_S2300159m_269c717.jpg

Hopefully it will be attending the Moynalty show this August.

Just spotted this Citroen H Van this evening at the Spawell roundabout:

f_Image008m_1e33695.jpg

TYI was a dublin reg around september/october 1976....
    The landie doesnt look in bad shape!!Could have been ex ESB going by the dublin reg number.

TYI was a dublin reg around september/october 1976....

Thanks for that.
    The landie doesnt look in bad shape!!Could have been ex ESB going by the dublin reg number.

The interior is fairly rough, and so is the chassis. The exterior body panels aren't to bad though.

TYI was a dublin reg around september/october 1976...
    carchaeologist - could you put a year on 'YRI' (also on a Defender I see regularly).

• Advertisement

carchaeologist - could you put a year on 'YRI' (also on a Defender I see regularly).
    End of april/start of may 1975(dublin)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement