Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Nisio wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice sbkenn and kadman.

I'm hoping to build a skin on frame kayak so the timber is internal gunnels, stringers etc. covered by a painted skin.

A few places seem to be able to get planks and some of those might be able to machine it to the dimensions in the plans. It's a bit more awkward than the youtube videos where the guy in the US walks into his local diy and walks out with 16 feet lengths clear vertical grain red cedar!

I just came on here to ask a similar question, planning on doing a SOF myself too.
    Looking at the yost sea tour 15exp.
    WRC is coming out quite pricey so I was looking for an alternative myself.

You could try Declan Byrne and sons Ltd.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

As said above abbeywoods do sell it but if you want a cheeper wood norwegian spruce or Douglas fir would also work and if needed you could give them a coat of epoxy resin to seal them. I have gotten 20 foot planks supplied and cut to size by http://www.mcnallyjoinery.ie/ very nice and helpful to deal with.

Thanks for the advice sbkenn and kadman.

I'm hoping to build a skin on frame kayak so the timber is internal gunnels, stringers etc. covered by a painted skin.

A few places seem to be able to get planks and some of those might be able to machine it to the dimensions in the plans. It's a bit more awkward than the youtube videos where the guy in the US walks into his local diy and walks out with 16 feet lengths clear vertical grain red cedar!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Bogwoppit wrote:
    I just came on here to ask a similar question, planning on doing a SOF myself too. Looking at the yost sea tour 15exp. WRC is coming out quite pricey so I was looking for an alternative myself.

what timber do you think you'll end up using?

The plans I got (a Dave Gentry plan for a Disko Bay sea kayak ) listed a few different choices: Douglas fir, spruce, cypress, redwood

what timber do you think you'll end up using?

The plans I got (a Dave Gentry plan for a Disko Bay sea kayak ) listed a few different choices: Douglas fir, spruce, cypress, redwood

I'll have to price them all up before I decide.
    I've been looking at the Douglas fir, it's heavier and stronger than the cedar so you can reduce the dimensions by about 25% ie. A 1"x3/4" gunwale could be reduced to 3/4"x5/8" or 3/4"X1/2"

Bogwoppit wrote:
    I'll have to price them all up before I decide. I've been looking at the Douglas fir, it's heavier and stronger than the cedar so you can reduce the dimensions by about 25% ie. A 1"x3/4" gunwale could be reduced to 3/4"x5/8" or 3/4"X1/2"

Some quotes have Douglas fir the same price as cedar, spruce was suggested at a much lower price

• Advertisement

Some quotes have Douglas fir the same price as cedar, spruce was suggested at a much lower price

I don't know if spruce will do the job, I doubt it but have a search on the Internet and see.
    Woodenboats forum is a good place to check but I'm sure you'll find more.
    I'm trying to source some fir through a friend so hopefully it will work out alright cost wise for me.

I was also thinking about trying Dave gentry's stand up paddle board for the wife, looks fairly easy.

The spruce grade is swedish fifth grade which looks like it'd have a lot of knots from what the Internet suggests

Bogwoppit wrote:
    I don't know if spruce will do the job, I doubt it but have a search on the Internet and see. Woodenboats forum is a good place to check but I'm sure you'll find more. I'm trying to source some fir through a friend so hopefully it will work out alright cost wise for me.

The spruce grade is swedish fifth grade which looks like it'd have a lot of knots from what the Internet suggests

Bogwoppit wrote:
    I don't know if spruce will do the job, I doubt it but have a search on the Internet and see. Woodenboats forum is a good place to check but I'm sure you'll find more. I'm trying to source some fir through a friend so hopefully it will work out alright cost wise for me.

I've had a quick look myself and spruce would probably do the job alright, it will have to be a good grade though as knots will kill your strength straight away.

Perhaps we should start a separate thread for this.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    I've had a quick look myself and spruce would probably do the job alright, it will have to be a good grade though as knots will kill your strength straight away.

Perhaps we should start a separate thread for this.

Have you priced up ash as an option?

Hadn't really thought of it myself but just had a search there now and it seems to be used a lot.

Should be no shortage of it here either.

• Advertisement

I didn't, when I asked around people thought that ash is susceptible to rot, there's a kayak builder down in kerry suggested yellow pine instead of cedar as was suggested here earlier

I might get around to starting a thread in the boat section if I get some time

With a kayak, I assume it will be dry most of the time and stored under cover. Along with a resin coating I wonder if it would rot much?

I didn't, when I asked around people thought that ash is susceptible to rot, there's a kayak builder down in kerry suggested yellow pine instead of cedar as was suggested here earlier

I might get around to starting a thread in the boat section if I get some time

Have you managed to find anyone selling polyester rolls for the skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JoeyJoe93

Hi, this might be an odd question but I figure you lads might know a bit more than me.
    This is possibly regarding wood mites from what I think, I apologise if this is unrelated to this thread.

For years I always noticed a faint but annoying ticking sound that came in waves at night time when trying to sleep. About every ten seconds it ticks for about 5 seconds and it being so faint it's impossible to locate despite countless efforts to find it.
    I moved to a new place recently and put my old mirror up above the bed.
    And oddly the same old ticking came back. Just now I searched again, it didn't take me long to become suspicious of the mirror.
    I put my ear up to it and there it is, coming from the frame.
    I looked at the back closely and see a tiny little bug the size of one of those white ones you'd get on an old copy book page.

Just to see I took the mirror out of the room and now. Silence.

The mirror is at least 20 years old at this stage and has dust almost engrained in its back.

Has anyone any idea of why it'd make this noise? It sounded almost electrical with the noise coming in predictable intervals.
    It sounds mad but could it be infested with mites of some sort deep in its wooden frame which have been making this noise for years?
    I'm itchy from thinking of this inches from my head for the last few weeks.

Any possible information would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 draqula

Sounds like Deathwatch Beatles. Best get the mirror treated or destroyed.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathwatch_beetle

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JoeyJoe93

draqula wrote: »
    Sounds like Deathwatch Beatles. Best get the mirror treated or destroyed.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathwatch_beetle

Thanks, I hope it isn't beatles.
    Good to know that tiny insects can tick like that though, which proves I wasn't imagining it at least.
    I'll see about getting it treated, it's been ticking for years and years and hasn't rotted at all so it mustn't be too invasive. It's still an odd one though, I've never heard of ticking frames before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

JoeyJoe93 wrote: »
    Thanks, I hope it isn't beatles.
    is it norwegian wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

is it norwegian wood?

Very good! It took me a while to get it. :P

It'll most probably be an ear worm for me for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Hey folks,

I'm looking into the possibility of taking the plunge and purchasing myself an x carve. I'm in the process of pricing everything and doing a shed load of research.

My question for the lovely people of boards.ie is where to purchase items similar to the inventables' wood collection:

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/walnut--3

As in, ready to carve small sections of wood. Is such a thing available over here/the UK? Or would my best bet be to go to a lumber lard and ask them for specific woods/lengths to cut to size.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

EDIT - Found what seems to be the ideal source - http://woodforcrafts.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭HorseSea

Hi, I have been looking at x-carve myself and wondered if you went ahead and how you find it, also did you buy from the States of the UK reseller. Interested to hear your experience of setting up etc.

• Advertisement

Hi HorseSea,

I didn't purchase one in the end as due to current financial restraints it's too much of a hit for a one off purchase. So, what I've decided to do is purchase an OX CNC kit and build it bit by bit.

http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/openbuilds-ox-cnc-machine.341/
    http://vslot-europe.com/21-ox-cnc-kit

This route allows me to purchase the frame initially then purchase the stepper motors, spindle, waste board etc. month by month as opposed to taking a €2,000 hit up front.

I've calculated the difference between purchasing the xcarve from the States vs. Robosavvy and there is minimal difference so if you're going to purchase it just go with Robosavvy as it will arrive much quicker. Also, purchase the Dewalt 611 Router and Mount bracket from them too but note you'll have to stiffen the X gantry (two must do initial mods). Let me know what you end up doing

Thanks for the links, I will have to investigate Openbuilds, I had not come across it before. If nothing else a great source for aluminium profiles for other projects.

Yelnahs, I have been looking at Ox kits and several others, ideally I would like to get a single kit with everything included and no separate parts to source, especially the electronics as that would not be my area of expertise. There are a lot of kits that are mechanical only and you source your own power supply, controllers and steppers - that's a bit beyond me so I was leaning towards the OX kit 1m x 1m from Robocutters UK, but then started looking at their own X3 kit, which for the same size is about £300 more expensive. I wondered had you looked at that X3 kit and what your thoughts were.

Hi HorseSea,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

I haven't even heard of the X3 but going through it it looks excellent. It also seems to be exactly what you're looking for as it's an all in one solution. It also has a good range of spindle options which is a good indicator.

Only piece of advise I would give is to have a look into the community behind the X3 as if it's your first time jumping into something like this you would need a lot of support along the way. Also, I don't know if I mentioned it before but StepCraft are a German brand that sell a complete CNC package for a reasonable price: https://www.stepcraft-systems.com/en/cnc-3d-systems/stepcraft-2-840

Let me know if you made a decision. Also, finally, the eShapeoko guys got their stock suppliers sorted just before the new year so maybe worth taking a look there too

Good advice regarding the X3 community, I have not found much about them, which is a bit of a worry. I had a look at Stepcraft too. There are so many choices when you start researching. I am working my way through a lot of the Mycncuk threads for the moment. I will let you know what I do in the end. How is your Ox build coming along.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Lads, might be an idea to start a seperate thread over on the main part of the forum, relative to your cnc topics

As this threads original use was for pinpointing places to go to obtain Timber, as in the thread title..

Its now getting bogged down in discussion here, that folks on the main Woodcraft forum, might

be interested in also. Just a thought

kadman

kadman wrote: »
    Lads, might be an idea to start a seperate thread over on the main part of the forum, relative to your cnc topics

As this threads original use was for pinpointing places to go to obtain Timber, as in the thread title..

Its now getting bogged down in discussion here, that folks on the main Woodcraft forum, might

be interested in also. Just a thought

kadman

I was actually going to form my response that way! Thanks Kadman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I think I have sorted a way to post pics, here's some nice ash that I recently brought to the sawmill

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You could have brought the sawmill to it either.

Nice, I,m impressed. Lots of nice projects on the cards there methinks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I'm lucky to have two sawmills nearby, and where I got that tree you wouldn't be let in with a mobile mill , too many race horses to frighten. I have no immediate plans for the timber it will be sticked out to dry and then who knows. I'm a bit of a timber hoarder probably have 300 cu ft + a lot of it is elm like the boards in the picture, I still have timber I cut 20 years ago, it's a bit of an addiction.

Advertisement