Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mlekelly

I'm going to make a book case which will be free standing and will be eventually painted. Can anyone give me an idea if I'm better off using birch plywood for the shelves and outer or if pine board would be sufficient? As the wood is being painted I'm wondering which will be easier to paint in terms of priming etc and which will show the wood grain through the paint best.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Pine, so long as it's an inch board supported every 3 feet. Specially if you are easing the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

No f all about timber but a mate is into it he says that anything he is going to paint he uses popular

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

if you want the grain showing i would use the birch hardwood, but it is a shame to paint it.
    a very light paint job with a clear laquer finish might look better.
    otherwise i would go with pine, but then you dont have the nice grain your looking for.

Thanks folks, I should say I know very little about timber either and this is one of my first carpentry experiments which will probably take an age as the planning I'm doing is excessive due to lack of knowledge.
    I'll probably go with pine, I had heard about poplar being the best timber for painting so I will check that out further, cost wise etc.
    Any more input appreciated

• Advertisement

if your going to paint it why go with solid timber?
    as you said maybe go with some 18mm veneer ply and then finish the edges off with some solid strips.
    this guy is good if yea wanna check him out on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HEABEQAOKQ

Thanks monk, I had watched that exact video last week , very good. My reasons for thinking about going with pine is that from looking at prices it doesn't look much dearer than the ply but also the painting might be more straight forward. Am I wrong in these assumptions?

the ply can be easier to work on and not as hard on the tools as its mdf with a thin ply covering. plus you get a nice grain in the finished bookcase.
    i find pine very cheap, full of knots where you dont want them.
    do you have all the tools? table saw etc?
    i remeber years ago when i started doing bookcases from solid pine, i done it all with hand tools, ripped skirting down and planed the edges to create the cornices etc.
    what have you got to work with? what equipment do you have at hand?
    have you got a workshop?

I didnt buy a table saw, to get one good enough i would have had to spend too much money for what i want to do, I'm going to use a woodcutting service in Galway, (woodcut). Ive half drawn the bookcase up so that i should have very little measurement errors in terms of having thie cuts done by someone else (hopefully). i have a skilsaw and will clamp a straight edge to anything im cutting but im hopeful this will only be for short cuts.
    I have a decent router and a manual mitre jig and then some hand tools. I do have a garage to carry out the work.
    I might just get a piece of ply and paint it anyway to see how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

Does anyone know where I might get a small amount of lignum vitae ? I need to make a segmented bearing of about 15" length and 5" diameter.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

I tried them about a year ago. No dice, but there is another place 100m further down that road on opposite side. Generally, they only sell veneer in bales though
    kadman wrote: »
    Try here, I used to buy veneer from them , a few years ago

http://www.abbeywoods.ie/

kadman :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Anyone know where I might get some woodcarvers lime.

I,ve tried my usual sources, but no joy at the moment

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

thanks

How much do you need ?

thanks

How much do you need ?

woodturner wrote: »
    How much do you need ?

Probably 3" thick minimum, and about 12" wide , and about 24" long, would get me sorted for now.

Probably 3" thick minimum, and about 12" wide , and about 24" long, would get me sorted for now.

Leave it with me.

Leave it with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kal_23

Hi all, I am looking to buy a section of (I don't know how to put this) raw tree trunk. Bout a foot, or bigger in diameter of pine for use as a target. Hoping that it would be about 2 - 2.5 inches deep. Anybody know where I can get something like it for cheaps?

Anyone know where I'd get some quartersawn timber, Oak, Sycamore, Elm and more figured wood such as rippled Ash or Sycamore.

Anyone know where I'd get some quartersawn timber, Oak, Sycamore, Elm and more figured wood such as rippled Ash or Sycamore.

Try Lisnavagh Timber, Rathvilly , if my memory serves me well

• Advertisement

Try Lisnavagh Timber, Rathvilly , if my memory serves me well

Thanks Tim. I actually have a friend who works there and they have exactly what I want.

Thanks Tim. I actually have a friend who works there and they have exactly what I want.

Donedeal has an add for Elm Planks in Mullingar.

I was in there during the week looking at 3" planks.I,m sure there was quarter sawn planks there. 40 euro a cubic foot for 3"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

hi,
    i've a few beech trees that fell over in the storm, feel it's a shame just to cut up for firewood. some of them have lovely grain, they'd be well over 100 years.
    is they any way i could get them cut up for building a house down the line?

I empathise with you. It brings tears to my eyes to see big broadleaf trees being chopped up. I suggest that you jack them off the ground (to prevent rot) and let them season (dry out) before sawing. There are a few mobile sawmills around to cut them when that time comes. You might enquire with the manufacturers of "woodmiser" kits to find out who has one in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

thanks sbkenn. hate to burn them.
    would i have to put them to dry out?

Dry out .... sslloowwllyy or "shakes" (lengthways splitting) will occur as the outer layers dry too quickly.. Best in the shade, but not indoors. It is the sap that needs to dry. Chock the logs so that they don't sag in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fro66

Does anyone know where I could source 3" x 3" beams of seasoned oak or walnut suitable for table legs? Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 calum22

How long do you think it would take to dry out sbkenn?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm looking to find the best (cheapest) place to buy some plywood for drawer bases in Dublin. I will need 2 full sheets 2440*1220 to do 6 large drawers, a bonus if they cut, as I only have a car roof rack to transport. Is B&Q the handiest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 DeleteSystem32

Im looking for a sheet of rough cut timber, the rustic looking sheets for a desk top. preferable something with a sort of an L shape to it but anything would do. Anybody have any idea where i could source it?

Advertisement