Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it'd be fantastic to have a place like this in ireland (i'm assuming there isn't!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2KvaIHEl8s

it'd be fantastic to have a place like this in ireland (i'm assuming there isn't!)

Was just about to ask the same question, but to my knowledge no there's only the ones mentioned already in the thread and their a bit of a rip off

Appears that a lot of the smaller suppliers mentioned here are no longer in business, does anyone have an up to date list of suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Watched this...... Cool!

But then I was hoping to see him make the bench :(

So went on to his YouTube channel and seen him make another one........ Bad move unless you have loads of free time....... Addictive viewing...... God I'm sad :rolleyes:

Coolest thing was his "poor mans router" .... How clever is that

Seve OB wrote: »
    Watched this...... Cool!

But then I was hoping to see him make the bench :(

So went on to his YouTube channel and seen him make another one........ Bad move unless you have loads of free time....... Addictive viewing...... God I'm sad :rolleyes:

Coolest thing was his "poor mans router" .... How clever is that

And the rebate/rabbet plane, yep spent hours on his channel.

On a side note Steve I seen you were looking at the course in Hartstown, but the numbers weren't there. My cousin and I would be interested in attending, if you want pm me when your next thinking of attending if we're available it'll be at least three people looking to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i tried booking that course too, but it had been canned by the time i tried to sign up (admittedly a couple of days before it was due to start, i think).

i tried booking that course too, but it had been canned by the time i tried to sign up (admittedly a couple of days before it was due to start, i think).

If I'm still able to attend in September 2016, I'll create a thread in August to see who else would be up for going and hopefully that will get the numbers needed. Might be that it would be to basic a course for yis by then, but it's the only one I know of in the Northside that's run at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fishers1

Hi all - I'm hoping you can help.

I'm looking for 1.5 inch (38mm approximately, could be 35mm, could be 40mm) Hickory, Ash or Maple dowels, they need to be at least 16 inches (400mm) long. I'd like 10 of them, or a 4 meter length.

I want to make a few sets of Gymnastics Paralettes - if you search for "P-barz parallettes" in google you will see what I mean. Sorry I can;t post images or URL with less than 25 posts I can't post the image directly.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Fishers1 wrote: »

I'm looking for 1.5 inch (38mm approximately, could be 35mm, could be 40mm) Hickory, Ash or Maple dowels, they need to be at least 16 inches (400mm) long. I'd like 10 of them, or a 4 meter length.

I want to make a few sets of Gymnastics Paralettes - if you search for "P-barz parallettes" in google you will see what I mean. Sorry I can;t post images or URL with less than 25 posts I can't post the image directly.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Shovel or fork handles are probably the closest you will find in the diameter you need, otherwise a woodturner could make them for you

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Did someone say wood turner?? :)

Yep, a turner could make those for you but its a bit of over kill when you could almost certainly buy dowels like that (as Tabby says, perhaps spade or yard-broom handles). You'll have to cut them to size but it would be cheaper than getting a turner to do it for you. I'll keep an eye out for you next time I'm in my local suppliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Maybe a daft question, but ball park what should I be paying for 4x2 8 foot PAO white deal..?

Hoping to put together a Paul Sellers inspired bench (5ft x 2ft), and from his vid's he just seems to go to his local B&Q.. but from a trip to Homebase, they're looking like 17.50e a length :o

woodworkers.ie have a more reasonable e7.20 a length

http://www.woodworkers.ie/prices/p_planed_timber.shtml

Just to see am I on the right track.. as Im gonna need 16 or 17 of them

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You and me both Wossack, right down to the benchtop size :)
    Also, I think he got that wood from the recycling center in MB's post up above - I think that's it that you can see him wheeling out to the trailer at the end of the video (and he got the lot of it for £50 according to the video).

There are lower prices for PAO out there (6.24 is the lowest I've seen from build4less.ie) but those are for 2.4m lengths (and they don't do 4.8m ones, I asked) - for RWD, you'll get much lower prices (8.45 for 4.8m is the lowest I've seen) and I think we might get less waste from the longer lengths (for a 60" benchtop, the maths says three benchtop lengths out of one 4.8m but only one out of a 2.4m). The lowest price I've gotten on paper for the bench so far is about €105, but that's including a few lengths I need to make some sawhorses.

What I've been wondering - and what I wanted to ask people here - is that this all looks great on paper, but if I get RWD, rough-cut it to 2" over the final length I want on both ends (so 64" for a finished 60" length), how tight am I leaving it in practice? How long does RWD generally have to dry for if stacked and stickered in an insulated garden shed (where the bench is going to be living) and how much will it shrink by in length over that time? And do I just go stick a moisture content meter in the shed wall and in the RWD and wait for the two to read roughly the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

with 17 4x2's, all the offcuts from the 2.4m lengths will be used for legs / braces, leaving just 3 900mm lengths unused (I think)

What I could do to reduce material bill, is just use 16 lengths, and use 2 of those 900mm offcuts glued end-to-end in the laminated tabletop to get the length needed - no leftover then

Might start another thread will my plans etc, be interested to get peoples thoughts

My math was coming to:
    ( 4.8m cut to 3x64" ) x8
    ( 4.8m cut to 4x44" + 20" offcut) x4
    Which gave me 15 laminated widths in the benchtop after planing (so about 24" wide by 60" long), four more for the two aprons, and three for the tool well at the back and then 8 leg lengths as well (for a 40" table because I hate short tables in the kitchen and anywhere else I'm working standing up). With two 64" offcuts and three 20" offcuts which I'd use in the sawhorses which I think need another three 4.8m lengths (don't have those notes to hand here).
    So 12 4.8m lengths in total for the bench (and 15 overall I think).

Actually, that's not including the cross-bracing for the legs, so there might not be so many offcuts after all :D (but there are offcuts in the cut list for the sawhorses that might be useful so I might not waste anything if I'm lucky)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dibetu

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

These guys make some very good quality dowels and will make to size and thickness in your choice of timber.

toolsandtimber.co.uk/timber/wooden-dowels/

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
    I was in Woodies today and they had a rack of various fork/shovel handles that looked pretty much perfect for your needs.

dibetu wrote: »
    These guys make some very good quality dowels and will make to size and thickness in your choice of timber.

toolsandtimber.co.uk/timber/wooden-dowels/

great! I got some from there and they are perfect!
    Thanks!

DeVore wrote: »
    I was in Woodies today and they had a rack of various fork/shovel handles that looked pretty much perfect for your needs.

I saw them all right - I could get them to work, but the problem I had with them was the variation in diameter across it's length. so I'd either have to measure and cut bespoke holes or find some way of turning them down to a reasonably exact diameter fit into the sides.

Thanks for looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Hey everyone. I'm looking for about 7 cubic feet of Irish Elm. Have rang a lot of suppliers but having no joy. Has anyone purchased recently and would have an idea who to contact? Tried McMahons, Abbeywood, Lisnavagh, Caoilte.

I'm based in Waterford

So... are there timber yards that don't mind hobbyists turning up (so long as they're not making nuisances of themselves, naturally) or do they all pretty much only want to deal with tradesmen buying huge bulk orders? Was thinking of looking at Quinn and Strathan (they're only a short drive away and I need a small amount of hardwood for the bench vice faces, wedges and for making drawboring pins and the like), but if they expect everyone to rock up driving a 45' long flatbed trailer looking to buy several thousand board-feet...

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    So... are there timber yards that don't mind hobbyists turning up (so long as they're not making nuisances of themselves, naturally) or do they all pretty much only want to deal with tradesmen buying huge bulk orders? Was thinking of looking at Quinn and Strathan (they're only a short drive away and I need a small amount of hardwood for the bench vice faces, wedges and for making drawboring pins and the like), but if they expect everyone to rock up driving a 45' long flatbed trailer looking to buy several thousand board-feet...

not sure if it is what you are after, but I was up in Kellys there a few weeks ago and they were absolutely fine with us walking around their yard

Seve OB wrote: »
    not sure if it is what you are after, but I was up in Kellys there a few weeks ago and they were absolutely fine with us walking around their yard

Not sure where Kellys is?

And what I'd like would be something like this:

But I'll bet we have nothing like that (other than Woodies, and I didn't win the lottery this week so they're out), so basically what I'm looking for is somewhere that you can walk round the stock, pick the wood, even just offcuts, and not get in the way of the trade lads (or annoy the people running the place by not being in the trade and only wanting to buy a carload of small bits instead of putting in large orders and hauling off truckloads of stuff).

And more specifically, we've a few places listed on here that sell hardwoods - but I'm more wondering which are - I want to say newbie-friendly, except that I've never seen a working yard with forklifts and so on that was friendly to newbies. So "newbie-tolerant"?

I've had good experience with http://www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com/ buying their pick-n-mix box for turners... they seem to do a lot of woods though. Its in the UK so shipping is an issue of course :(

They've got a lot of beautiful stuff there... but I can't imagine shipping even one 7'x10"x2" board from the UK is going to be cheap :(
    But for now all I was looking for was some "ordinary" (ie. domestic) hardwood (ash or beech or even oak would be fine) - it's to line vice jaws (but I though I might as well get enough for one or two small things along with that so get a plank or two instead of a single 24" length).

Not sure where Kellys is?

And what I'd like would be something like this:

But I'll bet we have nothing like that (other than Woodies, and I didn't win the lottery this week so they're out), so basically what I'm looking for is somewhere that you can walk round the stock, pick the wood, even just offcuts, and not get in the way of the trade lads (or annoy the people running the place by not being in the trade and only wanting to buy a carload of small bits instead of putting in large orders and hauling off truckloads of stuff).

And more specifically, we've a few places listed on here that sell hardwoods - but I'm more wondering which are - I want to say newbie-friendly, except that I've never seen a working yard with forklifts and so on that was friendly to newbies. So "newbie-tolerant"?

Sorry, my bad. It's not just Kellys..... it's O'Kellys :)

http://www.timbertrove.com/find--contact-us-2-w.asp

Not quite like that place, but not far off it. Big outdoor yard you can even see some of the wood from here :)

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2544519,-6.3199898,157m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2547502,-6.3211683,3a,37.5y,128.21h,85.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMbU1q-lbvyIXk0P65dHVmQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Shopping by satellite, there's the 21st century for you :D
    Did they have much hardwood there when you were there last Seve?

Shopping by satellite, there's the 21st century for you :D
    Did they have much hardwood there when you were there last Seve?

honestly I didn't wander around to much. My dad had been up there and had his stuff picked out. I was just the courier :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭andy125

Got a price for iroko from a local joinery to replace garden bench laths, 4ft boards 60mm x 20mm for 10 of these boards at 75euro, is this about right or could I do better elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

andy125 wrote: »
    Got a price for iroko from a local joinery to replace garden bench laths, 4ft boards 60mm x 20mm for 10 of these boards at 75euro, is this about right or could I do better elsewhere?

That's a fair price, I doubt you will do any better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭andy125

That's a fair price, I doubt you will do any better

thanks

Advertisement