Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 p_oneill

Im looking for a sheet of rough cut timber, the rustic looking sheets for a desk top. preferable something with a sort of an L shape to it but anything would do. Anybody have any idea where i could source it?

If you're near Wicklow I know a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭full gas

I am looking for plywood suitable for building kitchen units with the edging exposed, I've checked out the hardwood through ply from brooks and it wasn't what I had in mind, if anyone has any suggestions that would be great thanks in advance, also I am based in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

I don't know Cork (re:providers), but there is a McMahons in Water St., they do Birch plywood at approx. €60 for an 18mm sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DeleteSystem32

p_oneill wrote: »
    If you're near Wicklow I know a guy.
    Im not far from wicklow im based in dublin but i have transport. Where abouts in wicklow are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Mixed up Cork/Wicklow part of the thread, sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 p_oneill

Im not far from wicklow im based in dublin but i have transport. Where abouts in wicklow are we talking?

He's in Glenealy, I can PM you a number and if you ring him and tell him what you're after he usually has something similar in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jaredGalen

A few old apple trees fell during the storm at my Dad's house. They were 60+ years old I reckon.
    They are still alive but I'll be removing them before the spring for firewood as they are on their sides.

My Dad said to see if it is timber that would be in demand for wood turning etc.
    Is it? Anyone interested? One is shown in the image below.

Bfxa8d8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Hi Jared. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jaredGalen

woodturner wrote: »
    Hi Jared. Where are you based?
    Hi woodturner.
    We're based in county limerick, in the kilmallock area.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

I have plans for a small wine rack. I'm new to timber so any advice on the type of timber I should use. I was thinking redwood and live near Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

jaredGalen wrote: »
    Hi woodturner.
    We're based in county limerick, in the kilmallock area.
    I'd love to turn some apple bowls and vases but I'm in Dublin and have no transport. If you DO get this cut up or if anyone is going to do something with it, please let me know and I'll help as best I can (costs, organisation etc). If you want, I'll make something from it for your dad/family too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Beware ... apple, and fruit woods in general, are notorious for splitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Well lads! I'm relatively new to woodcrafting&am trying to source an odd scrap here or there for the purpose of jewellery making. Anyone have a lead on some hazel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Hi Guys, just trying g to get my head around the price of timber in €/ft3.

So if a piece of timber is listed at €35/ft3 and I have a piece that's 2" x 4" x 8' say that's gonna cost €186 euro?! That can't be right!

I'm working it out as 2" x 4" = 8. 8 x 8' = 64. 64/12 = 5.333

So an 8' 2x4 is 5.33ft3. Multiply that by €35 = €186?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if i read your calculation right, you're assuming 12 cubic inches in a cubic foot (and you're mixing inches and feet) - there are 1,728 cubic inches in a cubic foot.

another way of calculating it is 1/6 ft x 1/3 ft x 8, i.e. less than half a cubic foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

..Brian.. wrote: »

So if a piece of timber is listed at €35/ft3 and I have a piece that's 2" x 4" x 8' say that's gonna cost €186 euro?! That can't be right!

you are mixing feet and inches in your sums
    2x4 x96(8feetx12) =768
    cubic foot =12x12x12=1728 inches cubed
    768 /1728 =0.44 cubic feet
    £35x0.44 =£15.40

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

Err, NO. Did you do maths at school ?
    there are 12 x 12 x 12 (=1728) cubic inches in a cubic foot !
    2" x 4" x 96"(8ft)/1728 = 0.44ft^3
    or 2 x 4 X 8 -> 64/144 (as it is only 2 dimensions that are in inches)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Thanks guys, that makes more sense. I had Googled it and someone posted a formula of multiply everything and divide by 12 which is what I was doing!

Edit: is a "board foot" different from a cubic foot? Maybe I was mixing the two up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

Thanks guys, that makes more sense. I had Googled it and someone posted a formula of multiply everything and divide by 12 which is what I was doing!

Edit: is a "board foot" different from a cubic foot? Maybe I was mixing the two up.

a board foot is one square foot one inch thick ie. 12x 12 by 1 inch thick it an american measurement. cubic foot. is one square foot ,one foot thick ie 12x12x12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I still like timber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Well lads! I'm relatively new to woodcrafting&am trying to source an odd scrap here or there for the purpose of jewellery making. Anyone have a lead on some hazel?

Is it branch wood you need with the bark on , or larger pieces, what part of the country are you in

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Anybody have a good source for 150mm x 150mm (above 12ft ideally) beams or something close to it.

Most am coming up with is 150mm x 75mm.

Best
    Peter

Is fabricating an "I" beam an option ? Slot pairs of 75 x 30, and glue in 9mm ply.
    Makes a very stiff structure with less timber.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Yes its a perfect solution, and can be bought from reputable truss and floor beam manufacturers in timberframe.
    You would need an engineers input on the timber design sections, or calculations with the appropriate software design programme such as Sema.

kadman

I am sure that there are some online calculators. Depending on where it is going, you could probably guestimate. When I was researching for my application, I found that there had been some tests done for a London project where they wanted a 30ft span.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Hi,

I'm looking to build a kayak and the plans call for 1x0.75 inch and 1.5x0.75 inch lengths western red cedar (16 feet lenghts)

Does anyone know if this is available in Ireland ?

Thanks,

Oisín

Try Abbey Woods in Baldoyle. Failing that, Murdocks Hardwood in Newry. Either way, they will probably only have planks. I will be getting some Yellow pine from Murdocks soon, and may be able to spare a bit if that is of interest. Y.P. is a fairly dense, straight grained and knot free wood.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

sbkenn wrote: »
    Try Abbey Woods in Baldoyle. Failing that, Murdocks Hardwood in Newry. Either way, they will probably only have planks. I will be getting some Yellow pine from Murdocks soon, and may be able to spare a bit if that is of interest. Y.P. is a fairly dense, straight grained and knot free wood.

But its not as durable as western red cedar.........

depends on how you want to use the kayak, or rather, how you want to store it. Red Cedar (Sequoia) has it's own, very effective preservative, but a major saturation with Linseed Oil is quite effectivetoo. If the whole boat is going to be wood, get the oil from a farm suppliers ... it is far cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Thanks for the advice sbkenn and kadman.

I'm hoping to build a skin on frame kayak so the timber is internal gunnels, stringers etc. covered by a painted skin.

A few places seem to be able to get planks and some of those might be able to machine it to the dimensions in the plans. It's a bit more awkward than the youtube videos where the guy in the US walks into his local diy and walks out with 16 feet lengths clear vertical grain red cedar!

Advertisement