Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Varicosity

Hi Rich,

Thanks a million for the reply. That sounds good, can I be cheeky and ask if you would be able to thickness them for me as well. I'm happy to pay for the time taken.

I'm looking for about 4 feet lengths of each about 5 inches wide.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 classic tiler

Hi lads. I'm looking to buy a Table saw and need your advice as to the best place and price to purchase one. It's purely hobby based so even second hand would do. Appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Xander_82

I am looking for any felled apple, walnut, cherry, lime, pear or plum trees in south Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford or south Co Carlow. Anyone who can help please drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Sick of looking at my big dreary concrete wall, so had the idea to put wooden slats/cladding/shiplap(are they all the same,lol?) on the inside. Think it could look nice and be pretty easy to do?

Could anyone recommend some timber, want to keep cost as low as possible. Don't mind having to treat it every couple of years.

I'd be curious about the actual method of installation too, so if anyone could link me to that info i'd be grateful, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 christopher23

does anyone know where I could get kiln dried lodge pole pine or any other kiln dried pine suitable for making pine furniture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

does anyone know where I could get kiln dried lodge pole pine or any other kiln dried pine suitable for making pine furniture
    Pine board in 8x4 sheets from strahan timber?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Hi,

I'm looking to get some timber to make a gaming table to add onto my regular dining table, like the one in this video.

My table is 75x150 cm, I'd be looking to have the gaming add on be 105x180 cm, basically adding a 15 cm overlap all around the table. I won't be putting a frame on top of the surface around the edge.

I gave a look in B&Q today for wood to see what's available

Surface
    2440 x 1220 x 11 mm OSB board €19.70
    2440 x 1220 x 9 mm WBP exterior plywood €37.30
    2440 x 1220 x 6 mm WBP exterior plywood €27.60
    2440 x 1220 x 18 mm WBP spruce plywood €39.50

Frame
    2400 x 44.5 x 15 mm pine stripwood €5.95
    2100 x 44 x 18 mm smooth planed 6 pack €16.40

The plywood seemed a bit expensive for the surface, what do you think? Would the other wood be OK for a surface? I will be covering the surface with a thin foam mat and then felt for a rough wood surface shouldn't be very important I'm thinking.

Is there somewhere else people could recommend for wood?

Do you think the 44mm frame would be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭waterboy15

Recon wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to get some timber to make a gaming table to add onto my regular dining table, like the one in this video.

My table is 75x150 cm, I'd be looking to have the gaming add on be 105x180 cm, basically adding a 15 cm overlap all around the table. I won't be putting a frame on top of the surface around the edge.

I gave a look in B&Q today for wood to see what's available

Surface
    2440 x 1220 x 11 mm OSB board €19.70
    2440 x 1220 x 9 mm WBP exterior plywood €37.30
    2440 x 1220 x 6 mm WBP exterior plywood €27.60
    2440 x 1220 x 18 mm WBP spruce plywood €39.50

Frame
    2400 x 44.5 x 15 mm pine stripwood €5.95
    2100 x 44 x 18 mm smooth planed 6 pack €16.40

The plywood seemed a bit expensive for the surface, what do you think? Would the other wood be OK for a surface? I will be covering the surface with a thin foam mat and then felt for a rough wood surface shouldn't be very important I'm thinking.

Is there somewhere else people could recommend for wood?

Do you think the 44mm frame would be enough?

18mm osb from local builders providers would be cheaper why use marine indoors? 70x40 planed from same place for frame.

Black ash or flat black melamine faced chipboard
    I am trying to source 15 or 18 mm probably between 225-300 width in large quantity for shelving project.
    anyone know where to get have tried usual builders providers in Sligo and surrounds and nothing available apart from whites or light oak.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

@Waterboy
    If your looking for non standard sizes in black melamine I'm sure a local cabinet maker or furniture makers can order in 8'x4' sheets and then rip them to the widths you need.
    The only downside is the edges will need to be edged. You can buy roll of matching edging and iron it on.
    Dublin, the likes of Noyeks can supply sheets.
    They are suppliers of kitchens.
    Hope this helps ;)

• Advertisement

With past experience of ironing on edging not going too well i would not be inclined to go that route, if it came to it i would use wood beading or reeal wood altogether and paint/stain.
    Any other advice welcome.

Yea I know what you mean about applying the edging!
    There is a knack to it using a fine file but it sounds like you will be avoiding this route.
    Another option is to get a black plastic breading with a"u shape" profile that will clip snugly on, or you could glue it on.
    Done it years ago and it worked pretty well.

http://www.abbeykitchens.co.uk/carcase-support-systems/levellers/Plinth-edging-strip-2500mm-for-18mm-plinth-transparent-plastic/prod_6263.html

lt's actually known as plinth edging see link.
    It's also a bit pricey on that site, I know the clear edging is only about 3 or 4 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Hi there,
    looking for some logs or branches to do a bit of carving but I don't want planks.
    Any wood will do.
    I'm based in Tralee.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AJZein

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a source for veneered plywood. I was hoping to make a corner desktop around 2100mm by 1400mm from it so thickness is important.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Will the unit be free standing or will it be attached to a wall?

Free standing

AJZein wrote: »
    Free standing

How will it be supported?

Do you have a design for the unit yet?

1,400 is wider than the size of an 8' x 4' (2,440 x 1,220) sheet so I assume you plan to have a joint somewhere in the middle of the unit

I was planning on buying IKEA legs and attaching them on either side, I'll post a design when I can, in around an hour.

It would work as 2100mm by 1200mm if the biggest plywood sheet available is 8' by 4'.

The basic design for the desk

• Advertisement

Would Strahan Timber be a good place to buy, can anyone recommend them? Also I was wondering when they say 3.5mm is that the thickness of the entire sheet of veneered plywood?

Would Strahan Timber be a good place to buy, can anyone recommend them? Also I was wondering when they say 3.5mm is that the thickness of the entire sheet of veneered plywood?

I do not know this bunch Strahan Timber so cannot say about them.

I made a corner unit before and I was requested to make it at least 50 mm thick.

I constructed it by using 2 sheets of 18mm veneered MDF with a 14mm spacer and used 60mm iron edging.

I have some pics of a similar job I did some time ago which I could post when I find them.

Thanks, that would help.
    I was looking to make it around 18mm thick depending on what sizes are available just because my current desk is 18mm and is made of particle board which I've read is weaker than plywood.

Is there any particular issues I might come across using plywood?

Thanks, that would help.
    I was looking to make it around 18mm thick depending on what sizes are available just because my current desk is 18mm and is made of particle board which I've read is weaker than plywood.

Is there any particular issues I might come across using plywood?

Plywood is very strong but my view is veneered MDF is the way to go.

I know it is possible to get veneered plywood but the question is, is the same range of veneers there with plywood as with MDF.

At the end of the day it depends on what veneer you've chosen.

Thanks for all the help :) I think I'll look around and see what's available for both.

One last question, is there anywhere in particular you've bought from before or would recommend?

Thanks for all the help :) I think I'll look around and see what's available for both.

One last question, is there anywhere in particular you've bought from before or would recommend?

Depending on what you want there are different places.

I've bought in the Panelling Center in Sallynoggin and I've bought in Woodworkers and in Morgans Timbers.

The cheapest was definitely Morgans Timbers.

Would they also sell some sort of wood trim so I could cover the edges after cutting the desktop to size?

Would they also sell some sort of wood trim so I could cover the edges after cutting the desktop to size?

Personally I'd use iron on edging.

However if you wish to choose solid wood you'd have some fun matching the grain and colour of the wood unless it is a wood for example like ash.

I have the final design now and was wondering would 4 legs (2 on either side) be enough to support it? Here's a picture of the design

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Hey folks

I generally use KDH to get my hardwood, except it is extremely thick. Neil can thickness it for me except there's obviously a lot of waste going from 1 inch to under half an inch.

Where do people go for hardwood (not plywood or other composite) boards than are thin.
    I'd love sheets ranging from a few mm in thickness up to half an inch say. Not fusy on species.

Ideally large sheets, any length is fine (a few feet say) but nothing narrower than 10inchs.

Not against online purchases if needs be.

Thanks folks and happy Christmas!

Advertisement