Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

hey folks, I'm looking for some ideas on timber to use on windows and doors I'm making for a new workshop/studio I'm building in my back garden.

I would like to use something like white oak, but I guess this is going to be way out of my budget. So I'm wondering does anyone know of any good stable soft woods which would be ok for outdoor use if treated correctly, which won't break the bank, which has a look similar to white oak, and where I might pick it up around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The Georgians used 'Redwood' ie Scots pine - but you will struggle to find that. If you are going to paint them its actually easier to find Iroko these days -I'm assuming you have the machinery to mill it for joinery. If you want an varnished oak look you could try the sawmills for European oak - its more durable than the American varieties.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tried an ebay "lucky dip" pack of hardwood offcuts. Some oak, some ash, some nice bits of padauk and maple, mostly in 12" and 24" lengths and thicknesses between 1½" and ⅜". All of it decent quality, few knots, only one piece showing any warping.

Hard to figure out exactly whether you're paying over the odds or not because of the different species, but the total volume is about 1.4 cubic feet, and most hardwoods seem to be around £30 per cubic foot or more, so it doesn't seem like a total ripoff. Shipping's a pain, but if you use addresspal it'll cost far less (€3.50 from the UK to here if you stay under 20kg).

Just in case anyone finds it useful (they do lucky dip packs of turning blanks for bowls and handles as well).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I,m looking to source some Yew. In the round or planked, preferably

7" thickness or diameter.

Recent shoulder injury/operation forced me to lose out closing a deal for a nice piece

of Yew that I had sourced. So if you know of any that doesn,t interest you, let me know.

Thanks

Kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

kadman wrote: »
    I,m looking to source some Yew. In the round or planked, preferably

7" thickness or diameter.

Recent shoulder injury/operation forced me to lose out closing a deal for a nice piece

of Yew that I had sourced. So if you know of any that doesn,t interest you, let me know.

Thanks

Kadman

What length, width, thickness, of planks do you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

You should contact Pat Sheehan at Sheehans sawmills in Clogheen Tipperary. he has a great selection and he really knows his hardwoods.
    087 659 9711

What length, width, thickness, of planks do you need

Minimum length probably 15" and thickness or diameter , 6" upwards.

You should contact Pat Sheehan at Sheehans sawmills in Clogheen Tipperary. he has a great selection and he really knows his hardwoods.
    087 659 9711

Thanks.

Looks like a camper trip to parsons green then:D

Actually, what are people using to haul 8x4 sheets and long lengths of timber around, or did everyone just buy a truck for their last car? :D

Minimum length probably 15" and thickness or diameter , 6" upwards.[/quote. Is it something like this you want

• Advertisement

Minimum length probably 15" and thickness or diameter , 6" upwards.[/quote. Is it something like this you want

Exactly like that...

Anyone know if poplar is particularly expensive in Ireland?

Sparks wrote: »

Most basic sawmill supplied timber will run at about 25-40 euro per cubic foot.

Poplar would be the cheapest of the hardwoods about € 35/40 a cubic ft.

/sigh
    So, random dumb question - are any of the timber yards that stock hardwoods open on a saturday? Us pokey amateurs are often a little busy from 0930-1700 Mon-Fri :D

/sigh
    So, random dumb question - are any of the timber yards that stock hardwoods open on a saturday? Us pokey amateurs are often a little busy from 0930-1700 Mon-Fri :D

Location location location

Anywhere within driving distance of sandyford really. Quinn and Strathan both looked like they had exactly what I'd like (suffering bhudda, they even had prices on their website! It was like finding a unicorn!)... and then I noticed that anytime they were open, my boss would be expecting me to be at work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The Carpentry Store in Naas has some lovely exotic wood and I'm pretty sure they open on Saturday. They are aiming at the hobbyist so expect prices to be a bit steep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've bought a few bowl blanks there. you'd expect to pay a tenner for something like a 9" x 2" sycamore or beech blank.

Another30 minutes on the motorway to Declan Byrne in carlow open till13.00 on Saturday

• Advertisement

Handy enough location, and they do axminister stuff (NO! Bad Sparks! You're NOT buying a bandsaw yet!) but I can't find timber prices for things other blanks (For what I'm thinking of doing with this, I'd want some 1.5" poplar and some 1" walnut and one 2'x12"x2" walnut board). Pinged them about it. Thanks recipio & mb, much appreciated.

tabby, I can't find any mention of normal timber on his site, just plywood?

tabby, I can't find any mention of normal timber on his site, just plywood?

They stock a full range of hardwood, give them a call if you're going down , the lads working there are very helpful , you can pick through the bundles for what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

recipio wrote: »
    The Carpentry Store in Naas has some lovely exotic wood and I'm pretty sure they open on Saturday. They are aiming at the hobbyist so expect prices to be a bit steep.

Prices of the wood there are quite good. open only till lunch on a saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi all,

Based in Lanesboro, Co. Longford and just had a new lathe delivered. Presently practicing on white timber but would like to buy a few proper hardwood blanks to get me started.

I realise this is an expensive way to to go but it'll get me started at least.

Can anyone recommend somebody close to me or within a short drive?????

pointer28 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Based in Lanesboro, Co. Longford and just had a new lathe delivered. Presently practicing on white timber but would like to buy a few proper hardwood blanks to get me started.

Member here should be able to help you out, try pm,ing

timfromtang.

Knowledgeable helpful guy, just down the road from you in Tang,

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

pointer28 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Howdy,
    I can sort you out with a few bits to get you started.
    no need to go to great expense
    we have a small forest
    and would have some nice bits to get you started
    tim

pm me timfromtang

just a coupla mile the far side of ballymahon,

@ Kadman, that big lump o yew still has your name on it
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bigmambo

Hi,

I'm looking to source a slice of oak - like a cross section of a trunk, less than an inch thick. Anyone know where I could get something like that. Based in Dublin.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

You would have to find someone who is cutting down an oak tree and ask them to cut you a slice. No one will cut slices in order to sell them because they will split within a couple of hours of being cut. I presume you dont mind them being split.

• Advertisement

Just rang Timber Ireland to say I was just looking to buy a couple of lengths of Walnut and Maple and was told we don't deal with the likes of you, by the lovely girl who answered the phone.

Anyone else had experience with them, and where can I lay my hands on some walnut and maple around the Dublin/Meath area

Advertisement