Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

recipio wrote: »
    Hi, if you find a mobile sawmill please let me know. They are pretty thin on the ground in the ROI.

I changed phones since so i'm not sure of his number, but I hope to get it of my old phone as I need to contact him, think his name was martin from Roscommon, almost sure he was advertising on donedeal.

What thickness are the planks now, could you get the woodmizer again

it's too soon to say, I was impressed with the speed & it wasn't dear, I only did it cos I was tired of seeing the trees cut up for firewood.
    I don't know whether it'll make good furniture of not but if I needed rough timber for a shed or fencing poles i'd definitely do it again

jfh wrote: »
    I changed phones since so i'm not sure of his number, but I hope to get it of my old phone as I need to contact him, think his name was martin from Roscommon, almost sure he was advertising on donedeal.

just checked donedeal, there seems to be a few guys at it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Went back out to Quinn's today to get some material for a few projects and some spare in case the steambending I'm planning on goes horribly wrong.

2016-10-28-12.28.52a.jpg

2016-10-28-10.42.32a.jpg

Starting to think I really shouldn't go there with a credit card :D

Was talking to the guys who run the place and apparently they saw the photos from the last day and thought they were grand. Also, they had some small amount of sapele that had come back in from a customer which they were selling at €10 a cubic foot. If it hadn't all been 2" or more thick, I'd have taken their hand off at the wrist, but resawing that stuff down without a bandsaw is no fun at all, so if anyone else on here is interested...

2016-10-28-11.24.11a.jpg

2016-10-28-11.24.28a.jpg

It had some nice grain too (this is the one 1" piece I could find):

IMG_9738a.jpg

Now I just need to figure out my little storage problem...

IMG_9734a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

Where are Quinns ? I need some Sapele, Yellow Pine, and Oak. Sapele needs to be 3" thick, and the longer the better, but I will be cutting it to about 105cm and 90cm lengths, so shorter would work, just with a bit more waste. Y.P and Oak, 2", as long as possible. Oak, green preferred, but could be steamed.

• Advertisement

They're here, just inside the M50 north of the R110.

The offcut sapele I was looking at was mostly 2" thick, though there were one or two thicker pieces, but they had bales of the stuff in 3" and 4" thicknesses as well (the boards were anywhere from 7' to 15' long though). I saw some red deal, but no yellow pine and there's quite a bit of oak (I bought some myself in 1" but there was a lot of thicker stock). It's all kiln-dried though, I don't think they carry green timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Any decent suppliers for B/BB or BB/BB birch ply these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

laugh wrote: »
    Any decent suppliers for B/BB or BB/BB birch ply these days?
    whats bbb bbb bb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tatyoman

Sorry to ask such a question guys, but, there was a fella on donedeal last week selling spalted beech slabs in Wicklow. Althoigh I was interested in some of the timber, he also said that he milled timber using a chainsaw I think. I saw the ad, and then said, "oh, I must keep his number and ring him" however, the ad has been marked as sold and I can't find the number for him.

Would anyone know this person as I have some timber I would like to have milled.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

tatyoman wrote: »
    Sorry to ask such a question guys, but, there was a fella on donedeal last week selling spalted beech slabs in Wicklow. Althoigh I was interested in some of the timber, he also said that he milled timber using a chainsaw I think. I saw the ad, and then said, "oh, I must keep his number and ring him" however, the ad has been marked as sold and I can't find the number for him.

Would anyone know this person as I have some timber I would like to have milled.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

I was not me on the done deal advertising, however i do have a chainsaw mill, and could perhaps saw some timber for you, i am located in the midlands, pm me if interested
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Hi All,
    Looking for information on wood species.
    I am looking to build a chambered surfboard.
    Most of the wooden surfboard builds I have read about are using Balsa, Paulownia or Red Cedar for their
    construction.

I know Paulownia is supposed to be very strong, lightweight as well as being waterproof.
    Can anyone suggest suitable alternatives that can be sourced relatively easily, with similar anti rot properties and strength to weight characteristics??
    Bearing in mind with surf craft the lighter the timber the better!

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

loctite wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Looking for information on wood species.
    I am looking to build a chambered surfboard.
    Most of the wooden surfboard builds I have read about are using Balsa, Paulownia or Red Cedar for their
    construction.

I know Paulownia is supposed to be very strong, lightweight as well as being waterproof.
    Can anyone suggest suitable alternatives that can be sourced relatively easily, with similar anti rot properties and strength to weight characteristics??
    Bearing in mind with surf craft the lighter the timber the better!

Thanks in advance.

No point trying to re-invent the wheel. :D You should get Balsa and Red Cedar with a bit of searching. Paulownia has never been available the ROI as far as i know. Try the carpentry store in Naas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligophoto

I have a very large macrocarpa which I intend to have felled over the next few months if anyone is interested in buying any of it! Sligo area tree is about 40' tall and maybe a metre diameter at the base.
    Also available some ash trunk rounds 2 to 3 foot diameter varying thicknesses black heart but seems to be solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Am I working this out right?

6X1.5" Oak, 10' long

6*1.5*120 = 1080/1728 = 0.625 ft³

0.625*€66.30 = €41.43? I'll need two planks so €82.86. Anyone know if those prices include VAT?

The reason I ask is Declan Byrne in Carlow quoted me €180 odd for 4m which is only about 13 foot.

1921.gif?1480566397

No, I made the same mistake first time I went there. The FT3 column is how many cubic feet are in that bundle, not the price per cubic foot.

Last time I bought oak there (which was about six weeks ago), oak was going for about €35 a cubic foot, but I didn't note the exact price (I just wanted per-cubic-foot rules of thumb in my head, so 35 for oak, 32 for ash, 22 for poplar, 75 for walnut, 34 for sapele and so on - the actual prices vary up and down a bit but this way I'd know to make kids toys out of poplar and not walnut, if you know what I mean).

(Those were including VAT btw, because I'm at the "buy a board or two every few weeks" level of consumption, not the "buy fifty cubic feet every week and need three accountants to keep the VAT in line" level :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Ah I'd wondered why there was such a difference in some of the "prices!" But if that's the case, it would make those boards even cheaper, about 45 euro for the two. The guy in the timber yard must have taken me up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

If anyone is looking for supplies in Dublin, I recommend "Woodworkers and Hobbies" (woodworkers.ie) in Terenure. A friendly service, economical materials (€60 compared to €100 for what I wanted) and prompt and economical (€20 to Balbriggan) delivery.

sbkenn wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for supplies in Dublin, I recommend "Woodworkers and Hobbies" (woodworkers.ie) in Terenure. A friendly service, economical materials (€60 compared to €100 for what I wanted) and prompt and economical (€20 to Balbriggan) delivery.

Had a look at their website.I don't see any hardwoods - do they sell them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

recipio wrote: »
    Had a look at their website.I don't see any hardwoods - do they sell them ?

Some I believe, though Ive not asked

http://www.woodworkers.ie/prices/p_solid_hardwoods.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Nice load of oak and larch in Graiguecullen sawmill this morning , heading to Galway to become a Hooker, nice to see native timber been put to good use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Hi guys.
    I'm looking to source a piece of ash for a project.
    It needs to be around 16" x 16" x 2".
    None of the regular places or the ones listed in this thread seem to have anything that size.
    It's mostly 100 mm wide boards.
    I've also emailed lots of places asking could they source it but no one is replying.

Does anybody know where I might get such a piece?

It's also needs to be one single piece so laminating several boards is not an option

Out of interest, why can't it be a normal panel glue-up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Sparks wrote: »
    Out of interest, why can't it be a normal panel glue-up?

It's for a musical instrument (a copy of Bruce Springsteen's guitar) so visible join lines and sections are not desirable

Hm. http://www.feinesholz.de/ maybe? That's the kind of thing they do, though Ash might be a bit tame for them.

eg : https://www.feinesholz.de/en/tonewood-blanks/guitar-bodys/ has Zebrawood and Quilted Maple rather than Ash but in the size you're talking about. Maybe check the luthier sites in the UK as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

from a google - http://www.searchenglishwoodlandstimber.co.uk/?page=results&_spid=ASH&country_of_origin=England&sort_order=stock_in_t&sort_dir=up

pricey mind, and no idea if they'd ship to here - they might be worth an email though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Do you need a kiln dried piece or would air dried be ok .

Do you need a kiln dried piece or would air dried be ok .

No preference really. Air dried would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Apologies if I am in the wrong place.

I am trying to repair a "hit and miss" garden fence.

The vertical timbers are about 5.75 inches wide and about 0.5 inches thick. They are rough finish.

Anybody know where I might source those in the Sandymount / Blackrock area or could someone please give me a reliable online link please.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Apologies if I am in the wrong place.

I am trying to repair a "hit and miss" garden fence.

The vertical timbers are about 5.75 inches wide and about 0.5 inches thick. They are rough finish.

Anybody know where I might source those in the Sandymount / Blackrock area or could someone please give me a reliable online link please.

Thanks.

The problem is the 0.5 inch thickness - constructional timber is simply not sold in that dimension. If you could source a few pallets you would probably salvage what you need. ?

Advertisement