Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

anyone try and get _just_ a simcard from 3?

I don't think you can at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

You cant get just a SIM here as there is no pay as you talk. All SIMs come with contract and phone at moment . When 3 bring out Threepay (Their pay as you go service) im sure you will be able to buy a SIM pack as in the UK. In the UK they cost around £10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Jorinn wrote:
    Actually there is, make a contact in Nokia phone manager, export it with fields you plan on using. Then get your CSV file, copy info from csv which you wnant and put it in applicable cell in exported Nokia manager file. Then import the originally exported file with the new data in it back in. I't s a pain but if you have a lot of numbers it works.

Oh, btw, anyone try and get _just_ a simcard from 3?

Thanks but I was looking for a way to do it en-masse. Doing them one by one it would be just as easy, and probably quicker to send business cards via bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm thinking of moving to 3 from Vodafone but the stuff I read on here about poor/pricey international roaming and no webtext are making me think twice. So I sent them a mail and heres what they came back with. Fair play to them for getting back to me but I'm still not convinced. Think webtext would swing it, as even though I travel a fair bit I have it in my head that its too pricey to do anything but text while abroad so if I could do that then fair enough, though no coverage in US is bad:

Thanks for contacting 3 - Ireland's newest mobile network.

At this moment in time, you are unable to use your phone in the USA.
    This is because our partner network have yet to complete the roaming
    agreement with us. However, the basics are in place, and you may well find
    that you pick up our partner network on your handset whilst in the USA,
    and you may be able to use their services. Obviously no charges are
    available as yet.

You can definitely use your phone in the UK. You will be roaming with 3
    UK, and so you will have full access to the 3G services you receive at
    home, for example video calls. Whilst in the UK, calls to and from
    Ireland (land line and mobile) cost 49c per minute, SMS are charged at 35c
    per message, and video calls are charged at €1.50 per minute.

You can find a list of countries that we have roaming agreements with
    here: http://www.three.ie/ireland/iexplore/icoverage/intIndex.omp. You
    will notice that the list is not as exhaustive as the one for 3 UK. This
    is due to the fact that although named the same, both companies operate
    independently of each other. Because of this, we must establish our own
    roaming and SMS agreements as per Irish law, and unfortunately cannot
    simply use the agreements in place for the UK network. This takes time,
    but we are constantly establishing agreements with partner networks,
    and are confident that we have the popular holiday destinations covered
    at this time.

With regards to web texts, we are very much aware of the demand for
    such a service within Ireland, but don't offer this ourselves. We plan to
    expand the features on offer to customers in the very near future
    through the My3 section on the browser and website, and I hope that we will
    include a web text option similar to that of our competitors.

Launching a new network, we cannot launch with a portfolio as big as
    our sister company in the UK. We must test the market, and gain valuable
    feedback on how to improve our services, and which direction to go
    next. We must also ensure that we offer a robust (but less comprehensive)
    service so as to ensure that if any issues do arise, we are able to
    resolve them without falling flat on our face. Rest assured that we are
    impressed with the way we have performed so far, and plan on shaking up
    the market in Ireland even more. Watch this space!

Should you require any further information then please do not hesitate
    to get back in touch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Fair play to them for getting back to me but I'm still not convinced.

At least they came back with an informative, non-standard reply!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I signed up for their newsletter ages, and when they launched, they sent an email saying that they would be in contact by phone shortly. I'm still waiting.

I recently switched to Meteor, but I would have gone to 3, except for the poor range of phones, and the fact that I don't want to pay E100+ for a phone that provides a 3G service I won't use.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can anyone tell me if I signed up to 3 for example with the 25e plan VideoTalk 200 can I the next month change to VideoTalk & Text 200 or am I stuck using the price plan I choose when I signed up?

You can change your plan within the same bracket so if your on Eur25 you can opt for the two options within that bracket or you can upgrade at anytime to Eur 45 or Eur 60 plan. You can downgrade until after 6months but if you are on Eur25 that wouldnt apply as its the lowest rate.

HMMMM that was what I was told when I signed up in August!!!! I see nothings changed then !!!!! Read my previous comments and experiences...if you want to use your phone just in Ireland and dont want to sent texts to the North /UK or any other country then 3 is for you !!!!!!
    I'm thinking of moving to 3 from Vodafone but the stuff I read on here about poor/pricey international roaming and no webtext are making me think twice. So I sent them a mail and heres what they came back with. Fair play to them for getting back to me but I'm still not convinced. Think webtext would swing it, as even though I travel a fair bit I have it in my head that its too pricey to do anything but text while abroad so if I could do that then fair enough, though no coverage in US is bad:

Thanks for contacting 3 - Ireland's newest mobile network.

At this moment in time, you are unable to use your phone in the USA.
    This is because our partner network have yet to complete the roaming
    agreement with us. However, the basics are in place, and you may well find
    that you pick up our partner network on your handset whilst in the USA,
    and you may be able to use their services. Obviously no charges are
    available as yet.

You can definitely use your phone in the UK. You will be roaming with 3
    UK, and so you will have full access to the 3G services you receive at
    home, for example video calls. Whilst in the UK, calls to and from
    Ireland (land line and mobile) cost 49c per minute, SMS are charged at 35c
    per message, and video calls are charged at €1.50 per minute.

You can find a list of countries that we have roaming agreements with
    here: http://www.three.ie/ireland/iexplore/icoverage/intIndex.omp. You
    will notice that the list is not as exhaustive as the one for 3 UK. This
    is due to the fact that although named the same, both companies operate
    independently of each other. Because of this, we must establish our own
    roaming and SMS agreements as per Irish law, and unfortunately cannot
    simply use the agreements in place for the UK network. This takes time,
    but we are constantly establishing agreements with partner networks,
    and are confident that we have the popular holiday destinations covered
    at this time.

With regards to web texts, we are very much aware of the demand for
    such a service within Ireland, but don't offer this ourselves. We plan to
    expand the features on offer to customers in the very near future
    through the My3 section on the browser and website, and I hope that we will
    include a web text option similar to that of our competitors.

Launching a new network, we cannot launch with a portfolio as big as
    our sister company in the UK. We must test the market, and gain valuable
    feedback on how to improve our services, and which direction to go
    next. We must also ensure that we offer a robust (but less comprehensive)
    service so as to ensure that if any issues do arise, we are able to
    resolve them without falling flat on our face. Rest assured that we are
    impressed with the way we have performed so far, and plan on shaking up
    the market in Ireland even more. Watch this space!

Should you require any further information then please do not hesitate
    to get back in touch.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dellas wrote:
    HMMMM that was what I was told when I signed up in August!!!! I see nothings changed then !!!!! Read my previous comments and experiences...if you want to use your phone just in Ireland and dont want to sent texts to the North /UK or any other country then 3 is for you !!!!!!

You forgot to add "and if you don't want webtxt's" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

sending texts to Vodafone (not int): 9 times out of 10 when I send a text from 083 to 087, the 087 recipient receives it multiple times. This is not on at all!!!!!
    I called 3 a number of times on this to the point where I feel I'm wasting my time. It got so bad once that my boss (who is 087) received my single text over 80 times!! All through the night! 3 acknowledged there was indeed a problem and told me it was being fixed. I told them to call me when it was. They did call about 3 wks ago and said all was well but it started again last week and I simply cannot text 087 numbers until I can be sure this is resolved. I called and asked them to let me know again when it would be resolved and they said they couldn't do that...as they didn't know..

I've called them several times about this too -- though it happens when I send texts to people on O2 086 numbers aswell as 087 - not sure about 085 numbers. As recently as last night it happened - a friend on Vodafone, who I had met up with was STILL getting my text from earlier that day all night while I was sitting there -- it's frustrating because *I* can't stop it, but people on the receiving end don't really enjoy all the repeat messages. A friend on O2 was getting 1 repeating text from me for over a week, totalling well over 50 times in September.

Also, I've noticed that far more frequently than when I was on O2 -- my texts don't deliver to people, or I don't receive texts from other networks at all - they just seem to vanish and never arrive. :mad:

Though it has to be said that my average bill is still a huge saving over my O2 ones - I've saved between €30-70 each month since I signed up with 3 in August.

If the text problems continue though, I don't think the savings will be worth it in the long run taking into account all the extra hassle...

Exactly I sent a text to someone on O2 and they got it 41 times!!! She was very annoyed and I cant blame her...its happened lots of times with all numbers including when I sent one to my mate who is with 3 UK!!!!

These are things that should have been sorted out weeks ago. When I called they blamed O2 and Vodafone. Its always somebody else's fault with everything I complain to 3 about.

The roaming and SMS agreements are not 3's fault they are O2's or Vodafone's fault . So I guess Vodafone UK/Ireland/Spain/Portugal/Cyprus/France/Germany/Greece etc.... are all to blame for why you cant roam or send texts messgages to people in those countries and on those networks!!!

Its all a conspiricy against 3!!!!!! When will 3 take the blame for anything Im getting tired of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

just out of curiousity do 3 print there name on the phone like vodafone do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

1huge1 wrote:
    just out of curiousity do 3 print there name on the phone like vodafone do?
    yes they do :(

Bond-007 wrote:
    yes they do :(

From what I've seen its not as badly branded as Vodafone stuff..though I could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

From what I've seen its not as badly branded as Vodafone stuff.

The '3' logo on the V975 is nicely done and really not all that noticeable. Compared to the hideous red markings on Vodafone-branded phones it's an improvement. The 3 logo on the screen of the V975 is quite large though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I replied to their feedback and here is the response I got. Am sorry to say it, but looks like I'll be sticking with Vodafone for the time being:

Unfortunately we have no confirmed dates to have roaming partners in
    the USA or to have an official web text service.

We would love to give you official dates but this information is not
    currently available.

What I would suggest is that you keep an eye on www.three.ie for any
    updates.

Regarding sms service problems. We currently have no issues. Vodafone
    customers receiving sms multiple times is a problem with their network.
    Vodafone engineers are working on this and it has been escalated to the
    highest level within their network.

The problem is not with 3 and we have been working together with
    Vodafone to help towards a solution with the problem that is facing a small
    percentage of their customers.

I hope this has answered your questions, if you have anymore please do
    not hesitate to contact us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

That's a pretty weak rationale!

How many times do you go to the USA? I contacted 3 about their roaming agreements - they don't have many in place right now - and they tell me that 3 Ireland has to negotiate each roaming agreement with each operator separately i.e can't piggyback on the extensive agreements 3UK have in place. I wouldn't be put off by it unless you are a business customer or take many foreign holidays!

The texting issue appears to be VF's problem and I do recall that there used to many delays and problems between o2 and VF. In fact I had an experience in July where texts sent from VF to O2 were not delivered till hours after they were sent.

Dont get me wrong guys 3 have brilliant content and downloads etc,....

Its just their SMS/MMS and customer service that stink!!!!lol

Im going use Vodafone ready to go for international video calls from now on its 50% cheaper than 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right finally 3 have replied to my e-mail, my biggest problem with 3 seemed to be the inability to unlock the phone when my 12 month contract was up.
    I checked with a 3G store in Waterford and I phoned 3 and both sources told me a 3 handset can't be unlocked EVEN when your finished your contract.

As for switching options within a price plan, when I phoned 3 on the phone they told me it can't be done untill 6 months is up, the 3G store told me it can't be done till 3 months have passed.

Here's my e-mail to 3:
    I have a few queries regarding your services before I sign up.

1. If I signed up to 3 and choose the 25e price plan, can I change to the different options within that price plan at any time, or if I choose VideoTalk 200 when I signup am I stuck with it for 6 months?

I realise that if I choose the 45e plan I have to keep it for a 6 month period before I can downgrade to 25e, but I'm curious if this same rule applys if I am still switching to different options WITHIN a plan eg: VideoTalk & Text.

2. After my 12 month contract is up, do 3 provide a unlocking code for the phone the customer has?
    If not is their any plans to allow customers to unlock their phones when their contract is up.

3. Do 3 have any plans to introduce webtexts within The Republic of Ireland? As you can imagine its abit of a loss considering Vodafone, O2 & Meteor offer a set amount of free webtxt's on-line to all customers.

3's Reply:
    Price plan rules say that you cannot downgrade your tariff in your first six months. A sideways step from VT200 to VTT200 is allowed at any point during your contract.

You can upgrade your price plan at any time but keep in mind that to lower a price plan you can only do this one step at a time. For example:- You start on VT200 change to VTT600 . To get back to VT200 you have to go on VT400 for one month before returning to VT200 the following month.

To unlock your handset when you have finished your contract's minimum term you have to pay 3 a €25 administration charge and the unlock code will be supplied.

You cannot get an unlock code during your contract, if you would like this during your contract you have to end your contract by paying the early termination charge + €25.

Webtext is something that 3 are looking at just now, we do not know if we will introduce it at the moment. Keep an eye on www.three.ie for any updates.

Overall I'm happy with their reply and its nice that its not a standard form reply, its good they actually addressed my points.
    :D

Although its worrying that both 3 phone reps and their resellers have some serious communication problems :(

• Advertisement

International video calls - you make it sound as if its common place! The only time I have ever seen anybody do a video call is when both people were side by side and were demonstrating the technology. Best of luck if you would use VF to make a international video call - if you can find somebody with a compatable set on a 3G network then chances are you'll be bankrupt by the end of the call!!

BTW, I'd be interested in knowing what % of VF 3G traffic is video calls ... Dellas perhaps you can ask somebody down the local pub.

Three are pretty sharp in answering queries unlike VF where you get an automatic response and then a few days elapse before a real person replies to you.

The webtexts would be nice. I rarely use even close to 100 of 300 pm from VF. The monetary value of this is €10 at most.

BrianD wrote:
    International video calls - you make it sound as if its common place! The only time I have ever seen anybody do a video call is when both people were side by side and were demonstrating the technology.

You got to wounder just how much usage your going to get out of videocalls, its cheaper to just do the job over a standard call and unless you want to show somebody something or your talking to your girlfriend then there's no need to waste the extra money on videocalls. imho
    In saying all that its still nice to have the same as mediamessages :)

Well I must beg to differ!!!! I find Video calling great as do most of my friends and family who live abroad and have 3G coverage!!!!! I bought my Mum one in UK and my sister too....My cousin in Greece got one too. When its a birthday or Xmas we video call !!!! My mum hadnt seen her family in Greece for 6 years!!!! It was fantastic for them to have a video call!!!!!!!

So maybe you dont have the situation in your own family or group of friends but you cant put people down who do !!!!!!

BrianD wrote:
    International video calls - you make it sound as if its common place! The only time I have ever seen anybody do a video call is when both people were side by side and were demonstrating the technology. Best of luck if you would use VF to make a international video call - if you can find somebody with a compatable set on a 3G network then chances are you'll be bankrupt by the end of the call!!

BTW, I'd be interested in knowing what % of VF 3G traffic is video calls ... Dellas perhaps you can ask somebody down the local pub.

Three are pretty sharp in answering queries unlike VF where you get an automatic response and then a few days elapse before a real person replies to you.

The webtexts would be nice. I rarely use even close to 100 of 300 pm from VF. The monetary value of this is €10 at most.

Dellas - it's one thing to compare networks but you are begining to sound like a sales rep!! I find it odd that your friends and family that you video call on a 3G network are in countries that another network may not have coverage!!

By another network you must mean 3!!!! Well for you info and just to clarify that im not a sales rep I work in the Travel Industry just to set the record straight!!!

My Mum and Sister and two of my mates one in Manchester one in London are all with 3 UK. So im not in anyway biased against three. My cousin in Greece is with Vodafone Greece and I am with 3 Ireland and also have a ready to go Vodafone non 3G handset. Have had accounts with O2 and Meteor in the past so Im talking from my personal experiences.

Brian D do you work in the mobile industry??? If so then im sure you are more qualified than me to know . All im saying is im a CONSUMER who pays for a service and like everyone else wants to get the cheapest deal and a good service (if the two are compatible).

So im not biased for any mobile company , if a new 3G mobile service came in tomorrow say O2 that offered better service and value then id switch!!! The more people that switch the better it will increase price wars and offer the Irish consumer better deals which is what we need here. Im always hearing Irish people say how they are screwed for everything here .

I can only say that when I was with Vodafone I never had half the problems that I have had with 3. The problems of being charged for two phones which I posted earlier in this thread have still not been solved and I was supposed to get a call back on Friday from a supervisor!!! Still waiting mate and I spoke to a guy today who said that I would be called before 6pm !!! Still waiting mate!!! I dont know if it is not the done thing to post names of people that I spoke to so I wont just in case but I have jotted down dates and times that I spoke to 3 about the problems.

If I could go back I think personally Id get a 6680 on Vodafone or an N70

BrianD wrote:
    Dellas - it's one thing to compare networks but you are begining to sound like a sales rep!! I find it odd that your friends and family that you video call on a 3G network are in countries that another network may not have coverage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 costello2s

I did a scan on my 2.5g nokia today and it listed the normal 3 but in addition it listed IRL 93. Wondering which network this is, I doubt it is 3 Ireland as picking it up on a non 3g phone. Scanned it in Eastwall/Fairview.:eek:

Perhaps it's a test? The new O2 HQ is only across the river ... could be them?

3 don't have a 2/2.5G network ... they piggyback on the VF network.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

smart telecom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

I get "Irl 03" on older handets that i used.Maybe thats it?

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote:
    smart telecom?

Nah you won't see them till end of 06 I ain't say (if your lucky) as they haven't even bought the license yet

from enn.ie today
    The paper also says that Smart Telecom plans to borrow more than EUR56 million to buy the 3G mobile licence it was recently awarded. Smart said that it would use "short-term loans" to pay the upfront fee of EUR44 million to ComReg for the licence. It is also borrowing EUR12.4 million to pay a fee associated with using part of the radio spectrum.

Advertisement