Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Earthman wrote:
    Well I've another complaint...
    I was in the states last week and guess what??

Despite it saying on their website that three has a roaming agreement with t- mobile for the states and despite this being confirmed to me over the phone before I went...

They dont as all I got from T mobile was a message "no access"

Gas thing is I've discovered that their roaming in New york is there alright but only on the jfk cell... ie once you leave the airport you get a "no access" message

What the fcuk is the point of that ?? I actually rang their customer care team from a vodafone phone that was roaming perfectly everywhere on t mobile and they tried to tell me that t mobiles coverage was patchy...
    I was quick to tell them it wasnt patchy with vodafone!!

I also told them that no access to t mobile in manhattan was a disgrace and that new york or the U.S for that matter didnt begin and end at jfk...

the same thing happened to me in amsterdam. perfect coverage in the airport then no access to any network for the rest of the holiday. the best i could do was if i turned the phone off and back on it would connect to t-mobile who they don't even have an agreement with in holland. if i made a call the coverage would stay but otherwise it would drop back to nothing and stay like that til i turned the phone off again.

all the calls i made were included in my minutes though so i can't really complain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

"airport only" roaming is false advertising ......surely !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

According to their website they tahe T-Mobile and Orange (appropriate) in the netherlands.

Have you your phone set up correctly? I've had phones where I have had to manually select the network or switch it on and off (all Nokia). Not sure how my Motorola will behave but I suspect not very well.

T-Mobile have good coverage in Manhatten.

BrianD wrote:
    According to their website they tahe T-Mobile and Orange (appropriate) in the netherlands.

Have you your phone set up correctly? I've had phones where I have had to manually select the network or switch it on and off (all Nokia). Not sure how my Motorola will behave but I suspect not very well.

i don't thik they had an agreement at the time. well they told me they only had one with orange anyway. it was set up properly. i did manually select the network. it said no access to them all. the same thing was happening to my friends one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I just was in the netherlands again and after 5 minutes of roaming it went to "no access" or "emergency calls only". When I than tried to dial the 083 customer service number on my vodafone cell I got "number not valid".

I searched for the network they offer as partners manualy, same story, let's me on for 1 call or a couple of minutes and than "no access".

Jumped on the plane to London and here to "no access" and that on the 3 network.

I send them a demand for service and if they send me the next bill it goes to my lawers, I dont' pay for stuff I don't get.

This message was written in my personal style, the fact that other members might have a similar style does not take away my right to my own personal identity!

• Advertisement

I just was in the netherlands again and after 5 minutes of roaming it went to "no access" or "emergency calls only". When I than tried to dial the 083 customer service number on my vodafone cell I got "number not valid".

I searched for the network they offer as partners manualy, same story, let's me on for 1 call or a couple of minutes and than "no access".

Jumped on the plane to London and here to "no access" and that on the 3 network.

I send them a demand for service and if they send me the next bill it goes to my lawers, I dont' pay for stuff I don't get.

This message was written in my personal style, the fact that other members might have a similar style does not take away my right to my own personal identity!

While you certainly have a valid complaint, this is the 'Irish' way of complaining that yields absolutely no results. Needless to say the price of the lawyer will probably be a multiple of your bill.

There seems to be something wrong with your set up or phone that is best checked at home. Are you actually 'cleared' for roaming? I recall when I signed up (bill pay) for VF they had to approve you for roaming and for some customers they sought an additional deposit. Don't know if this is the case with 3.

Should this thread be re-named 3 network abroad?

BrianD wrote:
    There seems to be something wrong with your set up or phone that is best checked at home. Are you actually 'cleared' for roaming? I recall when I signed up (bill pay) for VF they had to approve you for roaming and for some customers they sought an additional deposit. Don't know if this is the case with 3.

Should this thread be re-named 3 network abroad?

we are all set up for roaming and there's nothing wrong with our phones. it just doesn't work and its 3's fault

Who's we?

I think you should change network ... that will solve the problems and reduce the stress. Then you can make a video call from norway to greece, don't have to worry about PAYG customers even though you are a bill customer, leave the airport and generally avoid the stress. Remember it is never your fault.

I'm happy enough with 3 so far but then I've no relatives in Greece and no trips to Norway planned.

BrianD wrote:
    I know they do.
    But the people in three think they dont or at least tried to tell me that when I said tmobile wouldnt let me connect.

It was nothing to do with my phone settings.
    I had manually found the two available networks cingular and t mobile and clicked t mobile.
    The phone then said "requesting" followed by "access denied"

The only place it allowed access was inside jfk...

BrianD wrote:
    I'm happy enough with 3 so far but then I've no relatives in Greece and no trips to Norway planned.
    Well in fairness people nowadays do travel abroad a lot and there is a business market.
    3 may as well forget these customers as they will walk away.

• Advertisement

BrianD wrote:
    Who's we?

I think you should change network ... that will solve the problems and reduce the stress. Then you can make a video call from norway to greece, don't have to worry about PAYG customers even though you are a bill customer, leave the airport and generally avoid the stress. Remember it is never your fault.

we is anyone who's brought their 3 phone abroad. i had to put up with my mate ripping the piss for 5 days because his crappy nokia 1101 on meteor worked and my 6680 didn't. the problem isn't only in norway and greece. so far i've heard of america, england, holland, norway and greece and i'm sure there's more that haven't posted here. i'm happy with 3 too but the next time i go abroad i'm bringing my meteor phone because they're more reliable and cheaper than 3 abroad

as to the "Remember its never your fault" remark, did your mother never teach you to be polite to people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

...and it says "Welcome to Pay as you go from 3" and asks you to activate your topup voucher. Is this a hint that 3Pay's comin soon?
    Also, if you dial 333. Then select 1 for checking your remaining minutes. You are given a number of options. One of these (I think it is the last one) gives you your remaining balance, so perhaps this is how 3Pay users can check there balance?

There is one useful option on this menu, and that is the ability to check your spending, handy when making calls outside your minutes, so you can keep track of your costs. I doubt however that 3 will impliament the *100# thing that the other networks use for checking your balance (*101# on O2 showed your bill spend). I have been told that instead there will be a custom screen on there portal that will show your account data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

the same thing happened to me in amsterdam. perfect coverage in the airport then no access to any network for the rest of the holiday. the best i could do was if i turned the phone off and back on it would connect to t-mobile who they don't even have an agreement with in holland. if i made a call the coverage would stay but otherwise it would drop back to nothing and stay like that til i turned the phone off again.

all the calls i made were included in my minutes though so i can't really complain

Your calls were included in your minutes?? Does this hold true for all roaming calls with 3.... provided u can get network access????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

no roaming calls are not included in your minutes and come on id be preety suprised (in a good way) if they were
    and texts are sent when roaming dont come from your bundle

Your calls were included in your minutes?? Does this hold true for all roaming calls with 3.... provided u can get network access????

they're not supposed to be included but i'd say they included them because i shouldn't have been able to access the network at all and i phoned up and kicked up a stink when i was over there (on my mates phone) because it wasn't working

So I complained to 3 in writing and to ComReg and since I did that I have regular calls from the "Executive Office" of 3 trying to help me and asking all sorts of questions.

And since yesterday afternoon I finaly have the ability to roam on 3 UK or t-mobile UK without a problem.

Now next week I go to Amsterdam and see if it works there too, if not, they gave me a number to call and both people from that office I spoke to very going out of their way to help.

So complain in writing, threatning them with a lawsuite and someone finaly takes the issue up. Now I'm wondering what was wrong.

hopefully youll have better luck than the rest of us did in amstrdam

Update of the saga:

Roaming not a problem in the UK, Netherlands and Sweden since I had the regular calls with the Executive Office, which I'm sure is just a fancy name for the "Serious Complainer Handling Department".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

Update of the saga:

Roaming not a problem in the UK, Netherlands and Sweden since I had the regular calls with the Executive Office, which I'm sure is just a fancy name for the "Serious Complainer Handling Department".

Executive Office eh. Do you have a number for it? I need to do some serious complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

To be fair, and no I dont work for 3, you have to be patient with what is still a reletivly new network. They could very easily have had a setting wrong at their end, so because of the way roaming works, you would still have denied network access. I am pretty sure Meteors roaming service was not without its problems when they launched. If by September they still have major issues and have not sorted the agreements with Voda and O2 UK, then I will start to get annoyed but until then I will always give them the benifit of the doubt. And they do have the greatest 3G coverage in Ireland at the moment, even if it is hobbled by that crap walled garden.

Once 3 launch there "isp" so you can use your phone as a 3G modem, then installing Opera on your phone will allow you to access the whole of the internet from your phone by entering the ISP settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I'm thinking of porting one of my vodafone numbers over to 3 but I'm wary of buying a phone online without knowing what their coverage is like where I live. I've done a network search on the 3 mobiles in the house (Nokia 6260 & 7650 And a Moto RazrV3) and they only show up Voda, Meteor & 02.
    I know none of them are 3G phones but I would have thought that they would at least detect the network or will it only be detected on a 3G phone?
    I have an excellent Vodafone signal at home.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I would only be detected on a 3G phone - 3G operates on a frequency band seperate to what 2G phones do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The only real risk that you run is that you're on the outskirts of a 3 cell. 3 doesn't have the same coverage as the other main operators in areas where they claim coverage, if you know what I mean. I have this problem at home where 3's signal is a lot lower than O2's or Vodafone's (but very similar to Meteor's). Still works fine and everything.

I've only used it in Dublin and I've yet to find a place where I don't have 3G coverage.

kaizersoze wrote:
    I'm thinking of porting one of my vodafone numbers over to 3 but I'm wary of buying a phone online without knowing what their coverage is like where I live

if you have excellent vodafone signal you'll have excellent 3 signal since 3 uses vodafone's wherever they don't have their own

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Thanks for the replies. That clears things up a bit:).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MayoExplosion

I have been told that instead there will be a custom screen on there portal that will show your account data.

Yeah, it's called "My 3". The one they have on 3Ireland right now just has a load of how-to videos, but the one they have on 3UK shows your account data. If ya go to https://my3.three.co.uk/mysecurity/register.do and type in your 3Ireland number, it says "My 3 is coming soon for Republic of Ireland customers." (But it's said that for the last 6 months)

And I personally don't really care about roaming. As long as 3 have coverage in Ireland, I'm happy.

And did anyone notice that they've made two new price plans with phones from €1?

with phones from €1
    this is true but the phones that are €1 are, for the want of a better word, cac

the 6280 should be launched any day now. preliminary pricing:
    talk 1000: 49
    talk 600: 69
    talk 400: 119
    talk 200: 179

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

BrianD wrote:
    Who's we?

Just for the record BrianD it wasnt making video calls from Norway to Greece!! If your gonna quote people and take the piss at least get it right mate!!!! Your getting a bit boring tobe honest !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

I see that 3 UK are paying pay as you go customers for all calls received and all texts received!!! The credit you earn is redeemable for texts and minutes!!! Good idea but I wonder how they make it profitable!!!

http://threestore.three.co.uk/PAYG/default.aspx

They are also selling Motorola C975 for GBP. 9.99 !!!!

• Advertisement

Dellas wrote:
    I see that 3 UK are paying pay as you go customers for all calls received and all texts received!!! The credit you earn is redeemable for texts and minutes!!! Good idea but I wonder how they make it profitable!!!

http://threestore.three.co.uk/PAYG/default.aspx

They are also selling Motorola C975 for GBP. 9.99 !!!!

they aren't. they're charging 39.99 for it including the credit. or 49.99 if you look further down the page. the one at the top is second hand

Advertisement